PDA

View Full Version : A lot has happened in the last month

W4RLR
03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Greetings from Nickajack Lake!

The lender that was providing the loan for our home purchase in Whitwell, Tennessee had a problem with their underwriter, and the underwriter put a hold on our loan. So we lost the home, and the realtor is being a snot and keeping our earnest money. Laura and I are suing her, complaining to the real estate commission and the local board of realtors. I hope to make her as miserable as she made us for two weeks. But there is good news. We have another realtor, and another lender. We're having to put house buying on hold until I get another thousand dollars in place, should take a month. With the help of our local church, kind neighbors, and other local folks, we cleared out of the house we were trying to buy and were occupying temporarily by agreement with the seller in only three days. We put all of our furniture in storage, and are now living at an RV resort on Nickajack Lake. Very quiet except for an occasional freight train on the other side of the lake. It's tight quarters, but for $320 a month until they close for the winter season on Thanksgiving Day, we'll stay here a while and take our time looking. We've already found a house better suited to our needs, more land, more square footage, and less money. But I'm sure there will be others.

Since I have a lot more time on my hands now and a lot of stress is now out of the way, I'm getting some things done like putting my Yaesu FT-100D back in the truck. I programmed the Yaesu FT-7800 tonight with the local repeaters, checked in to the TAG Skywarn net last night. The FT-950, the big antennas, and the tower are in storage, so I will see what I can do with the mobile rigs while parked on a high mountain like Lookout Mountain or Monteagle. I might even program the D-STAR handi-talkie and work on learning Morse and getting my Extra ticket.

I still have some loose ends in Florida to take care of, and of course my children and my sister (the one that speaks to me) live in the Florida panhandle. The sister that doesn't speak to me lives only an hour and a half away, but I guess she wouldn't pee on me if I were ablaze.

So to make a long story short, Laura and I landed on our feet. We'll be making Tennessee, specifically the Sequatchie Valley our new home. Where that home will be is yet to be seen. But I can handle living in my RV "lifeboat" for a few months, saving a ton of money and doing some traveling I've wanted to do for years.

If any of you find yourself in the Chattanooga area and want to stop by, drop me a PM. The beer is cold, the scenery is terrific, and the fish are biting. I may have had a run of bad luck, but at least I'm comfortable and have a roof over my head. There are others who don't and aren't, so I consider myself lucky.

Here is the view out of my bedroom window.

KG4CGC
03-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Nice spot. Be careful the Poison Ivy this year ☺

suddenseer
03-22-2012, 09:48 PM
uumm Richard, you don't need to know the code to get your extra class ticket. Glad things are looking up for you.

KB3LAZ
03-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Glad to hear things are turning around. Also, that view reminds me of my childhood. Speaking of views, the local fishing spot is the one thing I will miss most about the states. Even when the fish are not biting the view is nice and it is sure peaceful.

KA9MOT
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
WOW! Sounds like you've had some bad luck....but now you are living my dream lifestyle...... Add some wire to those trees and get on the air!

NQ6U
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
FB, Richard, good to hear that all is well. Don't let the bastards grind you down!

W7XF
03-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Which repeater you hanging out on down tbere?

N8YX
03-23-2012, 03:11 AM
Very good to hear. As was stated before, there's a reason you didn't get the original house. It may not be immediately evident but it's there.

PA5COR
03-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Richard, good to read the worst if off, and you and the family found a solution.
Hooing your hunt for a house will be succesfull, and soon be a reality.
Take care now ;)

ki4itv
03-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Good news!
...and it looks like a really good spot to cleanse one's mind.
Congrats!

KC2UGV
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Wow, the realtor is hanging onto your earnest money? Something don't sound right. Usually, if financing falls through, that comes under a contingency.

But, I'm glad it is looking up. Hopefully, the better house you are looking at works out.

W3WN
03-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Welcome back.

Glad to hear that you landed relatively unscathed.

W2NAP
03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
grab the 950 and toss a simple diplole up in the air!

kf0rt
03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Glad to hear you're surviving, Richard.

Swear to all that might be holy, a tent in the woods would work for me these days and I'd consider it luxury.

Bravo for your attitude.

N7YA
03-25-2012, 05:27 PM
If thats your everyday view, you can take solace in that alone. Beautiful.

N7YA
03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Hooing your hunt

Just dont do it too much, you'll go blind.

....kidding, im kidding! ;)

N2RJ
03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Glad to see ya Richard!

One of the pluses for retirees is that there's no state income tax in TN. Sales tax tends to be a bit high though. I was up that was a few years ago. Nice scenery and somewhere I'd want to live... eventually.

W1GUH
03-27-2012, 09:07 AM
'RLR:

So we lost the home, and the realtor is being a snot and keeping our earnest money.

There was no clause in the purchase agreement that it's contingent on obtaining financing? Used to be a standard part of every purchase agreement. But then, that's from 40 years ago. Considering the sub-prime raping of the US, I'm not surprised that most real estate people have gone totally predatory.

KC2UGV
03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
'RLR:

There was no clause in the purchase agreement that it's contingent on obtaining financing? Used to be a standard part of every purchase agreement. But then, that's from 40 years ago. Considering the sub-prime raping of the US, I'm not surprised that most real estate people have gone totally predatory.

It's a standard clause in the Realtors contracts, AFAIK.

kb2crk
03-27-2012, 10:34 AM

It was in mine when I bought this house a little less than 3 years ago. The Realtor never cashed the check until the closing. They were also flexible on the earnest amount.

N7YA
03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Same here in NV with my house. Something fishy about that.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it is here, too. Next time I talk to Nelson N3PN, I'll ask him.

[ He was our realtor when we bought the current QTH. Man was thorough to a fault... he walked us through every step of the contract before letting us sign it. And that was just the contract for him to represent us as buyers! ]

My suspicion is that you have someone trying to bulldoze you. Don't let them.

K7SGJ
03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear things are looking up for your family, Richard. Get out there and adjust the lake population in a negative direction.