PDA

View Full Version : New QSL Card for 2012

W3WN
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Thoughts?

(The address & QSO information will go on the back)

KC2UGV
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
A little dark for my tastes, but not bad. I'd put it up on a wall :)

W3WN
03-22-2012, 12:38 PM
A little dark for my tastes, but not bad. I'd put it up on a wall :)You're just going to have to work me then. :evil:

It won't be the only design I use this year, of course, but I wanted something austere for the "front" of the card. Details will go on the back and can be customized as needed.

Most of the stations I worked in the ARRL DX contests will get this. Some big guns (PJ2T for one) won't, simply because I've worked & QSL'd them so many times over the years, I don't need another card.

And anyone who's associated with the Zed? There're two special "tropical island" card designs, just for them.

KG4CGC
03-22-2012, 01:17 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/f80fcc6d.jpg

Just an option.

KA9MOT
03-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I needed to order some new cards....I've been out for a couple of years. I got the cheap kind, $9.99 for 100.

Your's is a very nice card. Who will be printing it for you?

KB3LAZ
03-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I like it. At night you can not tell if there are clouds or smog. xD

KA9MOT
03-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Smog? In Pittsburgh? I remember hearing stuff about smog in PA when I was a kid (1960s). Is that still a problem?

KC2UGV
03-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Just an option.

Yup. I like this. It's not too dark now.

W3WN
03-23-2012, 07:41 AM
I like it. At night you can not tell if there are clouds or smog. xDClouds. Not smog.

Hasn't been a smog problem for years, not since the steel mills got turned into parking lots, shopping centers, and amusement parks. (And hi-tech research facilities as well)

W3WN
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Smog? In Pittsburgh? I remember hearing stuff about smog in PA when I was a kid (1960s). Is that still a problem?No.

W3WN
03-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the reminder! I needed to order some new cards....I've been out for a couple of years. I got the cheap kind, $9.99 for 100.

Your's is a very nice card. Who will be printing it for you?The Xerox WorkCentre 7535 right next to my workspace.

I haven't ordered QSL cards from a printer for years (sorry W4MPY). I've been buying perforated card stock (Avery 8387 or equivalent) and rolling my own. Let's me change the design on a whim, customize as needed. While it might be more cost effective to order cards from a professional, in the relatively small quantities I use at any one time, the cost savings would be minimal.

Now, that said, I've had an account with Global QSL for years that I've never used. I'm giving some real consideration to having them do a batch of cards... for the same cost as having 1000 color cards printed, they'll also do the mail-merge and put the individual QSO information on each card, AND they'll distribute them to the various world-wide bureaus. I have close to a 1000 QSO's from the last few major contests, so this is a consideration.

KA9MOT
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I got my proofs today. Mine won't be near as nice as yours. I have a drawer full of other peoples cards, I guess I should send some of my own out.

N8GAV
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I like it Ron, then again I think you can't beat Pittsburgh's sky line at night. But how about Pittsburgh's sky line from PNC Park at night?

W3WN
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I like it Ron, then again I think you can't beat Pittsburgh's sky line at night. But how about Pittsburgh's sky line from PNC Park at night?Actually, that's a dawn shot, or I should say just before dawn. The photographer snapped it on the West End Bridge, from the looks of it, and IIRC.

A night shot from PNC can be a problem, since the stadium lights are on. The human eye can adjust, but the camera (at least one I can afford!) can't. Also, the angle isn't the best.

For example:
5602Granted, this is early evening before sunset, but this is the view towards the Point. Scenic, it's not.

Here's a view towards the scoreboard (these are all from our former seats, Section 328, Row A; we're much closer to Home Plate this year):
5603It's a very pretty view actually, but it doesn't have the "umph" that a Point view has.

Now here's some taken that night (03 July 2010) from the 7th Street Bridge, right after the game. This was a "Skyblast" fireworks night...
560456055606That gives you an idea how tough it is to take a night shot with a little hand held digital camera. Especially "action" shots when you're trying to focus.

BTW, all of these pictures have been reduced to 10% of the original size so that they'd upload.

W3WN
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Oh, one more... this was taken just before the fireworks started, Little Miss Field Day is waiting for the "action" to begin... it gives you an idea of how bright that stadium is on a game day:

(also reduced to 10%) You can also see the Roberto Clemente (6th Street) bridge right in front of PNC Park. The bridge is usually closed right before & during most fireworks shows for safety reasons.

N8GAV
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I have some pictures taken from PNC's press box during "Light Up Night" 2008. Gateway center, the Federated buld., all the downtown shows up great. Have to find that disc and down load them for you to see.

KA9MOT
03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't see any pictures of lovely Neville, Island!

W3WN
03-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I don't see any pictures of lovely Neville, Island!Lovely Neville Island? Have you ever been to Neville Island, especially the industrial south half?

Lovely Neville Island? That rates right up there with Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence, Government Efficiency. and the Pirates having a winning season.

KA9MOT
03-26-2012, 11:04 PM
I had my big heart attack (the first one) on Neville Island. I was delivering my load. Finished unloading the trailer and called 911. My favorite ambulance showed up, they took me for a ride to some unknown hospital and then they took me to Beaver Medical Center. I had no medical insurance, they could have allowed me to die, but they didn't.....I have very fond thoughts of the Medical community in the Pittsburgh area.

W3WN
03-27-2012, 09:00 AM
I had my big heart attack (the first one) on Neville Island. I was delivering my load. Finished unloading the trailer and called 911. My favorite ambulance showed up, they took me for a ride to some unknown hospital and then they took me to Beaver Medical Center. I had no medical insurance, they could have allowed me to die, but they didn't.....I have very fond thoughts of the Medical community in the Pittsburgh area.You see? You're immortal. Well, almost... as long as you owe them money, they won't let you die!

Seriously... for those who don't know, Neville Island is a pretty decent sized island in the middle of the Ohio River, about 10 miles or so north of downtown Pittsburgh. It's divided in two, almost exactly by I-79. The north half is residential, and actually is quite pretty, on the surface. The north tip was a park... well, it was donated, and then the donation returned, because it turned out to have hazardous wastes buried underneath (it was eventually a Superfund site). But that's another story.

The south half is industrial. Some small refineries/oil storage, construction, and so forth. My old firm had a satellite office on part of what had been a Dravo facility, so I got to be down there quite often. It's fugly.

I'm sure the official local government site puts a nice spin on everything: http://www.nevilleisland-pa.gov/

KA9MOT
03-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Very fugly!

KB3LAZ
03-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Clouds. Not smog.

Hasn't been a smog problem for years, not since the steel mills got turned into parking lots, shopping centers, and amusement parks. (And hi-tech research facilities as well)

The jobs went with the smog too. :P

Anyway, I do like the card.

KB3LAZ
03-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Smog? In Pittsburgh? I remember hearing stuff about smog in PA when I was a kid (1960s). Is that still a problem?

I was being a smart ass. :P

KB3LAZ
03-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Lovely Neville Island? Have you ever been to Neville Island, especially the industrial south half?

Lovely Neville Island? That rates right up there with Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence, Government Efficiency. and the Pirates having a winning season.

Jumbo shrimp normally are prawn advertised as shrimp.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
The jobs went with the smog too. :P

Anyway, I do like the card.Yeah, ain't that the truth.

There are STILL unemployed ex-Steelworkers around here waiting for "the mills" to return. Won't happen. Those mills are now parking lots, shopping centers, and research buildings.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Jumbo shrimp normally are prawn advertised as shrimp.I know, but don't spoil the joke.

K7SGJ
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
<snip>
Here's a view towards the scoreboard (these are all from our former seats, Section 328, Row A; we're much closer to Home Plate this year):
5603It's a very pretty view actually, but it doesn't have the "umph" that a Point view has.

If you want a picture of the "umph", you'll have to point the camera towards home plate.

W3WN
03-29-2012, 03:04 PM
If you want a picture of the "umph", you'll have to point the camera towards home plate.

No problem. Here's one for you:

(Pirates at Texas, 22 June 2010, taken from the seats behind first base. Sorry if it's small, this is 10% of the size of the original JPG)

K7SGJ
03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
No problem. Here's one for you:

(Pirates at Texas, 22 June 2010, taken from the seats behind first base. Sorry if it's small, this is 10% of the size of the original JPG)

Yeah, right. I try to tell my wife the same thing.

KA9MOT
03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
My wife still believes a 4" sausage is a foot long kielbasa!

NA4BH
03-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Just an option.

Nuclear Sunrise Over The Point :rofl:

I like this one better too

KG4NEL
04-01-2012, 11:01 AM
A little dark for my tastes, but not bad. I'd put it up on a wall :)

I prefer the night/evening photo cards :)