PDA

View Full Version : New ARRL Membership Benefits

W3WN
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
The ARRL is excited to announce two new membership benefits that will be introduced in June 2012.
In addition to the print copy of QST, all members will have access to an online digital edition of QST -- at no extra cost. You will be able to access QST from anywhere -- on nearly any computer, laptop, mobile device, smartphone and tablet (including Apple iPad, iPhone, iTouch and devices using the Android operating system).

Read the full story at http://www.arrl.org/news/coming-soon-new-arrl-membership-benefits

Long overdue!! :mrgreen:

WØTKX
03-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Wow. That right there might get me to re-up. I let my "thang" with the ARRL lapse three years ago, it just seems like "low value" for the most part. I just didn't like the magazine much anymore... throwing it out or keeping it got old. No electronic version of QST was a big reason for me.

NQ6U
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
And here's the best part:

Members will also gain access to archived issues of QST from December 1915 to the present; previously, only issues through 2007 have been available to members. If you are familiar with the current periodicals archive, that platform will be expanded to include all of QST from December 1915 through December 2011.

It will be great to have access to all those old issues—there's still a lot to be gleaned from them.

KJ3N
03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
:sleep: :sleep:

Still not joining. YMMV

W3WN
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
:sleep: :sleep:

Still not joining. YMMVAll righty, then.

W4GPL
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
All righty, then.The resident malcontent is just playing his part.

ad4mg
03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd be interested in joining again, but I'll defer that until they cease their unholy alliance with the Winlink network. Other than that, I have no current issues with the ARRL.

KJ3N
03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
The resident malcontent is just playing his part.

Damned straight. ;)

I just don't see the benefit. Never have. Their operations don't affect my day to day ham activities, and I never give them a second thought (ok, not even a first thought). They could close up shop tomorrow and it would take at least a couple of years for me to notice.

Again, YMMV.

n6hcm
03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing they are going to use zinio for qst. not sure if that's good or bad.with their pc client I can print to PDF and keep it on file.

NA4BH
03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I have been a member since before I was licensed. It took me a couple of years to figure out that if you wait until the last minute to renew, you can get free books. Finally getting something for the price. No ill will towards them.

W4GPL
03-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I have been a member since before I was licensed. It took me a couple of years to figure out that if you wait until the last minute to renew, you can get free books. Finally getting something for the price. No ill will towards them.+1

I'm not currently a member because I ran short on funds for awhile, but I intend to renew sometime soon -- especially in light of this news. I always looked forward to the magazine and free book.

FWIW, you don't have to wait until the last minute to get the free book. If you ask them via e-mail for the coupon code, they'll give to you.

KC2UGV
03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Does the ARRL offer an archive-access only account level?

W3WN
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
I have been a member since before I was licensed. It took me a couple of years to figure out that if you wait until the last minute to renew, you can get free books. Finally getting something for the price. No ill will towards them.Actually, if you know what the renewal code is, and use it when you renew... I plead the Fifth.

W9WLS
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Been a LIFE member since the early 70's !
IF they electronically publish the older back issue's of QST ( like from the 30-40's on up) it will be the first really good thing to come out of a life membership as far as I'm concerned.

W5GA
03-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Does the ARRL offer an archive-access only account level?
Sorry, no. It's all or nothing with them.

KC2UGV
03-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Sorry, no. It's all or nothing with them.

Hm, fair enough. It's cheap enough. Like $450 for a lifetime membership, right?

KC2UGV
03-24-2012, 02:23 PM

nm, 975. Still, not a bad deal.

W5GA
03-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't know what the current rates are, been a life member for too long to worry about it. I'm pretty sure it's on their site, though.

N7YA
03-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I have been an on-again-off-again member over the years...mostly for the free books. I keep pledging to use the outgoing buro for all my cards, and one of these days, i may actually do that. Also, i may join just for the access to LOTW.

But honestly, i really dont care about the ARRL or QST. Its a fine magazine with some good articles, but i have enough crap lying around here as it is, and i likely wont read an entire issue online. But, despite that, its an ok club if you are into that sort of thing. I have no hatred or sore spot with them, im just not a 'club-joining' sort of guy, i guess.

NQ6U
03-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm a member primarily for the magazine but also because I think it's good to have someone—even if it's just the ARRL—lobbying in Washington on our account.

N7YA
03-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Well, i guess if you look at it from the "glass half full" perspective, thats true. I just think the ARRL could be three times as big and Washington would still give two shits what a bunch of old, outdated farts think. I love this hobby as much as anyone, and it will survive in one form or another, but i just dont think DC cares about us one little bit.

Ive been used to seeing this over the last 30 years and it wont diminish the enjoyment i get from hamming. But, in all fairness, the frequencies i use arent constantly under attack either, so i have to see both sides of it. Basically, i know you are right. Despite Winlink, nocode, etc, etc...its good to have a national organization. There are lots of good causes to join, i just dont have many of them on my agenda.