PDA

View Full Version : I sure hope this scotch is worth the price

W5GA
03-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Some serious ducats here for a bottle of turpentine.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/19/Glenfiddich-most-expensive-scotch-whisky-Janet-Sheed-Roberts-Reserve-auction/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews

ab1ga
03-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Some serious ducats here for a bottle of turpentine.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/19/Glenfiddich-most-expensive-scotch-whisky-Janet-Sheed-Roberts-Reserve-auction/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews

Sometimes you have to use the really nasty stuff go release the barnacles...

:)

ki4itv
03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I found that you pay one way or another...
At the register, or the next morning.

KG4CGC
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I've been saving some sippin hootch in the cellar of the Island cellar. It's a 3 key lock and I only have one of the keys.

NQ6U
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Probably not worth the price. Still, I wouldn't mind getting a taste just to be sure.

KC2UGV
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
55 year old, dirty alcohol. No thanks, I'll take clear spirits, and no sediment.

W1GUH
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Not a particular fan of Glenfiddich - too light for this OF. Those prices are crazy -- IMHO, a case of more money than brains. Hmmmm...OTOH that might not be a BAD situation?

KG4CGC
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Yeah, and hold on to it for several generations so that your great great grandchildren can uncork it or sell it at a charity auction.

kb2vxa
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Ach, 'tis rilly good fer drinkin' a Klingon oonner th' table, buh dinna tell 'im it's a bohlle o Pinch.

W7XF
03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
I bet Albi is staring down at that bottle of single malt and is salivating...

KG4CGC
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
I bet Albi is staring down at that bottle of single malt and is salivating...
Ever heard of, "The Angel's Share?"
http://www.lostabbey.com/lost-abbey-beers/non-denominational-ales/the-angels-share/

KB3LAZ
03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
....What is wrong with people? A liquid that you are going to piss out a few hours later and they are going to pay more for it than most do for a house.

W7XF
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Travis...I will not partake.in any of consumption of any beverage containing more than a scant trace of.ethanol xD

NQ6U
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Ever heard of, "The Angel's Share?"
http://www.lostabbey.com/lost-abbey-beers/non-denominational-ales/the-angels-share/

They got it wrong—the Angel's Share is the spirit lost to evaporation. The spirit that soaks into the wood of the barrel is called the Devil's Share.

KG4CGC
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
They got it wrong—the Angel's Share is the spirit lost to evaporation. The spirit that soaks into the wood of the barrel is called the Devil's Share.

Isn't that what they basically said about evaporation?

NQ6U
03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Isn't that what they basically said about evaporation?

I re-read it, it's a bit ambiguous:

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.

Poor writing—they mentioned both evaporation and the liquid seeping into the barrel, creating the confusion about what they're trying to say.

KG4CGC
03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Ah well, I understand it, you eventually understood it even though you're like, 3x smarter than I am.
No reason to get all 'lawyery' over their English.

Have you seen the commercial for Jim Beam that celebrates the "Devil's Share?" 90 proof but they do not speak of squeezing the wood for that extra 5%.

KG4NEL
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I'll stick to Lagavulin, good enough for me.

http://www.tomorrowstarted.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lagavulin-16-year-old-scotch-whiskey-single-islay-malttop-10-holiday-gifts-ideas.jpg

:)

N8YX
04-06-2012, 06:47 AM
For that price I could build my own distillery.

NQ6U
04-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Ah well, I understand it, you eventually understood it even though you're like, 3x smarter than I am.

Oh, no way I'm as smart as you think. In truth, I make myself seem smarter than I actually am by two things:

A combination of long experience on the Internet (I got my first Unix shell account back in '92) and laziness which has forced me to develop a technique to get a point across in a paragraph or two, and
Picking my topics carefully, concentrating on the ones I know I can argue successfully while ignoring the ones for which I can't come up with a cogent argument.

It's all smoke and mirrors, really. If you were to ever meet me in person, you'd see what I mean.

KG4CGC
04-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Oh, no way I'm as smart as you think. In truth, I make myself seem smarter than I actually am by two things:

A combination of long experience on the Internet (I got my first Unix shell account back in '92) and laziness which has forced me to develop a technique to get a point across in a paragraph or two, and
Picking my topics carefully, concentrating on the ones I know I can argue successfully while ignoring the ones for which I can't come up with a cogent argument.

It's all smoke and mirrors, really. If you were to ever meet me in person, you'd see what I mean.
But but, 42 and ... going legit in the distillation world would require more than the simple cost of that bottle at the top. I seem to recall the feds wanting $200K upfront on top of whatever fees are also associated as well as, of course, A FOOD GRADE FACILITY and whatever the state of residence required of you. Then there's all the background and criminal investigations, which you have to pay for as well as becoming best of butt buddies with the IRS.
Yessir! I'm trying to recall what I learned at the end of that Moonshiners series of one of those History/Learning/Discovery/Dooflatchee Channels.