PDA

View Full Version : The mysteries of 3D Computing are slowly getting explained....

W1GUH
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
OK....here's what I've learned -- I'll spare you the tortuous, winding, random path to the discoveries:

1) This machine probably doesn't have a 3D enabled display. According to Asus, it comes in two models, one has a 3D display, one doesn't. This one very probably doesn't.

Bummer, but no matter....

2) the nvidia control panel will only show the "Enable Steroscopic Vision" topics when it detects a 3D display OR something plugged into the HDMI port.

Explains why it has seemed to disappear and re-appear randomly. I plug in my TV randomly.

But my TV isn't "3D Ready." nvidia doesn't care, it'll enable 3D anyway.

AND what it produces is "Anaglyphic 3D", the type that uses those red/green or red/cyan glasses.

It does this for video games. For example, I can turn on 3D vision and get a 3D Stereo display of the red/cyan variety. Now....if I only had a pair of glasses to view it with!

In the discovery process I read some review of 3D stuff, and they said 3D with active (e.g. IR) glasses isn't yet very good, 3D with passive (e.g. polarizer lenses) is still better. Seems the hardware/software for 3D isn't all that perfected yet. That, or I read old reviews.

So....I think I'm good to go with the 3D when I get a pair of glasses for it. Won't be as good as "real" 3D with my active glasses working well, but it's a start.

Also, in one application, what I see on the screen if I turn off 3D is two side-by-side images just like my 3D photography method, so I can do that and cross my eyes to see stereo! Pity all applications don't do that.

And, when the prices drop I can get a 3D TV and (I think) all will be well.

BTW, what this machine has is a full HD screen. The 3D one isn't.