PDA

View Full Version : Another rig setup scored at a hamfest...

W1GUH
03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Picked up the Gonset Twins - G66/77 at the Southington hamfest today ($300). It's complete, tx, rx both PS's, and the "difficult" cable. There's a missing cable, but it's an easy one -- in fact, picked up the necessary connectors right there at the fester.

The seller has a very good rep & he says they work -- that was backed up by someone who says he witnessed thme working -- will be checking them out later. I paid his asking - seemed reasonable considering the guy's rep and that it's for a complete working mobile AM rig so I don't know how flexible he was willing to be.

The radios are out there! This is a set that I've wanted but not all that avidly -- til I found this deal today. Those are very pretty radios!

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/Radios/Gonset%20Twins/Twins1.jpg

The two together are smaller than a G-76! That's because the modulator is in the power supply box. BTW...the supplies are for both AC and DC.

Also, on Saturday I picked up another antique meter. Well, "antique" is questionable considering that the case is "fake" wood - looks like wood-grain formica. But the meter itself, a milliampmeter, is sexy! The KNOB says it goes down to .000150 ma. Need to measure 100 nano-amps?

kf0rt
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Nice score! You're going to need a new house pretty soon, Paul.

W1GUH
03-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Yea, or just start selling stuff. By now I've got a potential choice of 4 mobile AM rigs. Will probably settle on one or two and sell the rest. I do suffer the vintage-radio-collector disease -- it's pretty much incurable but I hope it's at least controllable!

N7YA
03-18-2012, 05:25 PM
No matter what, those are pretty cool!

WØTKX
03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Here's a dashboard for that. With apologies to Dash! :stickpoke:

http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/26296965/0908sr_07_z+1957_oldsmobile_rocket_88_hardtop+dash board.jpg

KJ3N
03-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Yea, or just start selling stuff. By now I've got a potential choice of 4 mobile AM rigs. Will probably settle on one or two and sell the rest. I do suffer the vintage-radio-collector disease -- it's pretty much incurable but I hope it's at least controllable!

We'll just start calling you Pat. :neener:

WØTKX
03-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Arachnids are standing by...

NQ6U
03-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Arachnids are standing by...

As are Lincoln Town Cars.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/patmobile.jpg

KG4CGC
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/b067941c.jpg

kf0rt
03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/b067941c.jpg

Is that the wiring diagram? :lol:

KG4CGC
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Is that the wiring diagram? :lol:
One of those "Brain Surgery by Number" kits.

kb2vxa
03-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Uh oh, you're getting like Timtron WA1 henry yell aaarrr in his Cadaverlac AM mobile, the inspiration for Steve "Huz Man" WB3HUZ writing The Piss Weak Mobile Blues.

I'm just a piss weak little mobile,
I've got those piss weak mobile blues.
My mobile rig's so yellowy,
I can't even blow a fuse.

I call CQ to my YL
So we could take a ride
She couldn't hear my signal
And I was sitting just outside.

All this piss weak ridicule
Is really killing me
I guess I'll sell my Gonset
And go back to my CB

W1GUH
03-19-2012, 02:22 AM
I'll let y'all know if I start craving ramen.

kb2vxa
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Then you'll be in desperate need of... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumMkGD9Sgc

w2amr
03-28-2012, 04:40 AM
Picked up the Gonset Twins - G66/77 at the Southington hamfest today ($300). It's complete, tx, rx both PS's, and the "difficult" cable. There's a missing cable, but it's an easy one -- in fact, picked up the necessary connectors right there at the fester.

The seller has a very good rep & he says they work -- that was backed up by someone who says he witnessed thme working -- will be checking them out later. I paid his asking - seemed reasonable considering the guy's rep and that it's for a complete working mobile AM rig so I don't know how flexible he was willing to be.

The radios are out there! This is a set that I've wanted but not all that avidly -- til I found this deal today. Those are very pretty radios!

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/Radios/Gonset Twins/Twins1.jpg

The two together are smaller than a G-76! That's because the modulator is in the power supply box. BTW...the supplies are for both AC and DC.

Also, on Saturday I picked up another antique meter. Well, "antique" is questionable considering that the case is "fake" wood - looks like wood-grain formica. But the meter itself, a milliampmeter, is sexy! The KNOB says it goes down to .000150 ma. Need to measure 100 nano-amps?Nice find Paul.:agree:

N8YX
03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
I wish modern cars had enough dash real estate to mount an IC-706 class rig underneath, let alone an AM BA setup.

KG4NEL
04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I wish modern cars had enough dash real estate to mount an IC-706 class rig underneath, let alone an AM BA setup.

Nothing that can't be solved with judicious use of an angle grinder and fiberglass :D

W1GUH
04-01-2012, 10:56 AM

No room for the front panel? The body easily tucks under the seat.

KJ3N
04-01-2012, 01:12 PM

How much room do you think there is in a Toyota Corolla (http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?20593-My-ICOM-7000-installed&p=410295&viewfull=1#post410295), Fred?

No room for the front panel? The body easily tucks under the seat.

What Paul said. Although my IC-7000 body is in the trunk.

W1GUH
04-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Who you calling Fred?

A Corolla has no room under the seat? How about the rear seat? Or the trunk?

KJ3N
04-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Who you calling Fred?

A Corolla has no room under the seat? How about the rear seat? Or the trunk?

My quoting is all FUBAR'ed. Let me fix...

OK, much better...

KG4CGC
04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Nice thread. Now then, let's not get carried away hacking up that modern dash. ☺

W1GUH
04-01-2012, 04:39 PM
My quoting is all FUBAR'ed. Let me fix...

OK, much better...

Thanks! Makes sense now..

KE0ZU
04-29-2012, 08:34 AM
GOOD SCORE!! You should have gone back and told him you wanted the other cable, because I sold it with all the cables. Hope you got the manuals as well. It's interesting you mention the "disease," because I think I have it too. I sold that for significantly more than you paid, late last October, guess the guy didn't like it. About this time last year I rounded up all the parts and pieces, repaired, aligned, made all the cables, and painted the cabinets. I used it on the morning 3885 net here in Kansas City for a few weeks, while I replaced the power tranny in my GSB-100. Being the proud owner, you notice the one plug cap has a tie wrap on it. Somehow I can never remember the covers go on before you solder it up.

For those interested, HERE are a few pics (http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/Radios/Gonset%20Twins/) of the inside.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/Radios/BC%20348/348NTwins.jpg

NQ6U
04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Very cool, Mike—what were the odds of you stumbling upon the new owner of your old boat anchors online?

Welcome to the Island! You'll find that the natives are friendly, if sometimes a bit fractious. Barkeep, set this man up with the drink of his choice and put it on my (still unpaid) tab!

BTW, my "disease" is old Drake gear.

N8YX
04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Welcome, Mike!

BTW, my "disease" is old Drake gear.

Mine is the newer Drake stuff, along with various Cubic Communications offerings. Also enjoy the IC-R70/71/7000/IC-751 and similar vintage Icom gear.

I do interesting things to radios. Check the Homebrew/Mods area for some of my writeups. On the bench are a few TR7/R7 projects - the receivers are going to be fitted with DDS VFOs and the transceivers will get audio notch filters and preamps added. Going to perform similar modifications to two of my three TR5s.

KE0ZU
04-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Carl and John,

Barkeep,..
Make that a J&B, up.

Yes, I was a bit surprised, this was my first visit and first thread I read. I'm an equal opportunity tinkerer of ham gear. If it has tubes in it, I'll try at least one of em, no matter what the brand. If I don't like it, it just passes through, but leaves in better shape, than it came. Do the same with T.E. but not so much tube gear, the good stuff just weighs too much.

Been doing this Ham Radio stuff since 53.

K7SGJ
04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Welcome Mike. Good to see your raft made the trip, and none of your gear got wet. Enjoy your stay on the Island. The Mahi are always biting, the natives friendly, and the only umbrellas you'll ever need are in the drinks.

N8YX
04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Speaking of GSB-100s: Had one of those paired with an HQ-100 (and later, an HQ-180AC) in one of the earliest station incarnations - when I was a Novice in high school. Used the Hammarlund's clock to switch a relay which in turn applied power to the transmitter...so the whole works would be warmed up and ready when I arrived home each afternoon.

W1GUH
04-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks Carl and John,

Make that a J&B, up.

Yes, I was a bit surprised, this was my first visit and first thread I read. I'm an equal opportunity tinkerer of ham gear. If it has tubes in it, I'll try at least one of em, no matter what the brand. If I don't like it, it just passes through, but leaves in better shape, than it came. Do the same with T.E. but not so much tube gear, the good stuff just weighs too much.

Been doing this Ham Radio stuff since 53.

J&B? I'm sure our charming and hospitable barkeep will accommodate your request, but you'll pay no more for a Glenlivet, MacAllan, or Lagavulin, so may as well go for it! Me, I'm a JD drinker!

Nice pic and great radios! Love those Chrome panels -- just wish I had about a 58 or 59 Cadillac to put them in...or maybe a New Yorker of the same vintage. That'd be cool looking!

Welcome to the Island, Mike. Pull up a beach chair, take your shoes off, dig your feet in the warm sand & it won't be long til beach service brings you your refreshing beverage!

K7SGJ
04-29-2012, 03:03 PM
J&B? I'm sure our charming and hospitable barkeep will accommodate your request, but you'll pay no more for a Glenlivet, MacAllan, or Lagavulin, so may as well go for it! Me, I'm a JD drinker!

Nice pic and great radios! Love those Chrome panels -- just wish I had about a 58 or 59 Cadillac to put them in...or maybe a New Yorker of the same vintage. That'd be cool looking!

Welcome to the Island, Mike. Pull up a beach chair, take your shoes off, dig your feet in the warm sand & it won't be long til beach service brings you your refreshing beverage!

The crabs, don't forget about the crabs.

N7YA
04-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Not to worry, i always have some Prell on hand for that. :-D

OH! Different crabs! ...sorry.

WØTKX
04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.sonicrouter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/dog_vs_crab_640.jpg

N7YA
04-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Dog dont want none!

KG4NEL
04-29-2012, 10:08 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnlv4z5FgJ1qiutzt.jpg

NQ6U
04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Not to worry, i always have some Prell on hand for that. :-D

You mean Qwell, I think. Not that I'd know anything about that sort of thing, you understand...

wa6mhz
04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Crabs are WATER SPIDERS!!! Still give me the Creeps!
Lobsters look like Water Scorpions! Don't piss them off! (Just boil them!)