PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to tune out, turn off, and drop away?

ki4itv
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Just how long are we going to take this shit?

Petraeus says that web-connected gadgets will 'transform' the art of spying - allowing spies to monitor people automatically without planting bugs, breaking and entering or even donning a tuxedo to infiltrate a dinner party.
Linky and weep (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2115871/The-CIA-wants-spy-TV-Agency-director-says-net-connected-gadgets-transform-surveillance.html)

Who do these people think they are? Exactly what gives them the idea the they have a right to do this?:rant:
It's over, this is it.

W4GPL
03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
We're only 28 years behind.

PA5COR
03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
The USA electorate gave them full open hand after 9/11, Patriot act etc etc.
The crazy just got worse from then on.
Looks like the bill of rights just got shredded ( further)

KG4CGC
03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Nothing new really. Talk of chips in people died off as smartphones became popular. They gave us fabulous little toys and we voluntarily chipped ourselves.

W2NAP
03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Nothing new really. Talk of chips in people died off as smartphones became popular. They gave us fabulous little toys and we voluntarily chipped ourselves. I dont own a smart phone,cell phone,ect dont want one. so I guess im safe

KG4CGC
03-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I dont own a smart phone,cell phone,ect dont want one. so I guess im safe

No. No one is safe! There's a sentinel lamp post coming to street near you. Satellites, helicopters, Google and even your neighbors!

W1GUH
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM

It's probable that is really started with ronnie. That's when the government really got going with the "discredit the grass roors" mentality.

W1GUH
03-18-2012, 04:46 PM
We'll all be living in a virtual Panopticon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon)soon, if not now.

n2ize
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I am thrilled and complemented by the fact that they want to watch me. I didn't know that I was such a fascinating guy. let's see what I did today

1) I Woke up
2) I had ham & eggs and a slice of toast as Sunday breakfast... Normally I just have either cereal or 1 egg.
3) I worked on some job related stuff.
4) I practiced my violin and worked on my intonation and my vibrato technique.
5) I took a walk. Stopped by the local wine store and bought a small bottle of Nikolai... I chatted with the local proprietor and a local customer. Headed for home. Stopped and had a friendly chat with a local cop who was on duty at the intersection.
6) Came home. It was hot in the sun. Put on the fan, cooled off, ate an orange and practiced the fiddle some more,
7) Put the fiddle away, took one of my RC helicopters out in the back and practiced hovering for the first time since last fall.
8) Came inside, did my laundry and am preparing for work tomorrow.
9) Will probably become tired and go to sleep over the next several hours.

I hope they find all that particularly interesting. But if they prefer, they are welcome to have my nearest street light, lamp post, or electronic device verify that what I said above is accurate.

I left out the details about "going to the bathroom". Perhaps that is what they find interesting ??

kf0rt
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I am thrilled and complemented by the fact that they want to watch me. I didn't know that I was such a fascinating guy. let's see what I did today

1) I Woke up
2) I had ham & eggs and a slice of toast as Sunday breakfast... Normally I just have either cereal or 1 egg.
3) I worked on some job related stuff.
4) I practiced my violin and worked on my intonation and my vibrato technique.
5) I took a walk. Stopped by the local wine store and bought a small bottle of Nikolai... I chatted with the local proprietor and a local customer. Headed for home. Stopped and had a friendly chat with a local cop who was on duty at the intersection.
6) Came home. It was hot in the sun. Put on the fan, cooled off, ate an orange and practiced the fiddle some more,
7) Put the fiddle away, took one of my RC helicopters out in the back and practiced hovering for the first time since last fall.
8) Came inside, did my laundry and am preparing for work tomorrow.
9) Will probably become tired and go to sleep over the next several hours.

I hope they find all that particularly interesting. But if they prefer, they are welcome to have my nearest street light, lamp post, or electronic device verify that what I said above is accurate.

I left out the details about "going to the bathroom". Perhaps that is what they find interesting ??

Holy crap, what a busy day. Spent most of it playing with Lightroom here; never left the house.

But, it's the principle of the deal.

(Hit send too fast). Remember: If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

ab1ga
03-18-2012, 08:22 PM
We'll all be living in a virtual Panopticon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon)soon, if not now.

Do not despair, OM, for entropy is with us.

Remember how hard it was for Ma Bell to keep the phone booths from being vandalized; will Big Brother really be able to maintain such an elaborate and expensive infrastructure over the long haul?

I can't believe I just embraced chaos. :(

.dale.

KC2UGV
03-18-2012, 08:30 PM

^^^ THIS

The more data you have coming in, the more horse power to analyze the data is required... And, the horsepower will never catch up. You just keep building a bigger haystack, in which you have to search for that needle.

n2ize
03-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Remember how hard it was for Ma Bell to keep the phone booths from being vandalized; .

Phone booths ?? Do such animals exist anymore ?

KC2UGV
03-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Phone booths ?? Do such animals exist anymore ?

You can find them from time to time still. They are getting rare.

In fact, fortress phones are making a comeback.

W1GUH
03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
You can find them from time to time still. They are getting rare.

In fact, fortress phones are making a comeback.

Twisted pair isn't affected by EMP!

KC2UGV
03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Twisted pair isn't affected by EMP!

No, but the transistors are.

W1GUH
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Ain't no transistors in old-fashioned phones!

But your point is well taken -- it's what's connected, not the transmission medium. Good pick-up on my sloppy thinking!

KC2UGV
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Ain't no transistors in old-fashioned phones!

But your point is well taken -- it's what's connected, not the transmission medium. Good pick-up on my sloppy thinking!

The good news, is you can almost (with a little work) just hook phones up to the two ends, and keep using it.

N2RJ
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Europe is worse.

suddenseer
03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
^^^ THIS

The more data you have coming in, the more horse power to analyze the data is required... And, the horsepower will never catch up. You just keep building a bigger haystack, in which you have to search for that needle.The employees analyzing the data are the same as any other group of people, there will be a percentage that are completely incompetent ( I am thinking about the Peter Principle) We all know someone often in a position of higher authority that are dumber than a box of rocks. And to steal from Raising Arizona, "Those guys couldn't find their butt with a bell tied to it"

kb2vxa
03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I was thinking of the Peter Griffin Principle... hehhehhehhehhehhehahahahahaaaa.

suddenseer
03-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I was thinking of the Peter Griffin Principle... hehhehhehhehhehhehahahahahaaaa.He is my supervisor.

N7YA
03-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I thought that Gloria Ironbox put Opie in charge.

N2RJ
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Just how long are we going to take this shit?

Linky and weep (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2115871/The-CIA-wants-spy-TV-Agency-director-says-net-connected-gadgets-transform-surveillance.html)

Who do these people think they are? Exactly what gives them the idea the they have a right to do this?:rant:
It's over, this is it.

I am with you. I don't like this shit either.

Google filed for a patent to display contextual advertising based on background noise picked up by your cellphone when you are not on a phone call. Yes, that is not a typo... that... is just... too far.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57402997-93/google-looks-to-patent-tech-that-listens-to-calls-to-promote-ads/

I can see Apple doing something like this too but Google seems more likely to.

Advertisers have been trying to figure out what you're thinking for a long time. There are now smart billboards which will check the frequency of the IF in your car radio to see what you are listening to then put a related ad. For example if you were listening to the spanish station it would serve a spanish ad on the billboard. Don't know how it will handle satellite radio (which is what I mostly listen to when driving).

N2RJ
03-24-2012, 11:41 PM
^^^ THIS

The more data you have coming in, the more horse power to analyze the data is required... And, the horsepower will never catch up. You just keep building a bigger haystack, in which you have to search for that needle.

The horsepower will catch up, or they'll make the algorithm more efficient. There are people who spend their entire lives thinking up how to do this shit.