PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was fun...

kf0rt
03-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Got home from work today to a dead water heater. Installed that rat bastid myself in 2001. Probably had to relight it 3-4 times over the decade, usually due to high winds blowing out the pilot. No wind here now; it just died.

Wouldn't light tonight. No gas to the pilot.

Called a local outfit because... well, have "princesses" here who cannot be denied. (Fuck me runnin', you know the score). Obviously the thermocouple. Besides, I'm tired as hell from a week of work BS.

Price of having a "pro" come out and install a thermocouple in a water heater on a Friday night? About $200.

Next time, the girls get to smell funny until I get around to it.

NA4BH
03-16-2012, 10:33 PM
The thermocouple just screws into the block thingy. Other than that, sue the hell out of the original installer and get drunk off the winnings. :clap:

VE7DCW
03-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah ...... those thermocouples are available at pretty well every hardware store.Last time I needed one for a gas heater it was about 15 dollars ....mind you,when you need one on a friday night with the stores closed it's a bitch.....it always happens that way :angry:

N7RJD
03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
I did the water heater thing a few years ago. Probably long enough that by today's standards I will be doing it again sooner than I would like. I think the last one was around 2004 or so. By the date codes on it the guy said it had been in place since 1963. If I had been the original owner and got that kind of mileage out of it I would have been happy but no such luck, it came with the house and already had more than 30 years against it by the date given.

N8YX
03-17-2012, 06:25 PM
We had a high-efficiency furnace installed a couple years back...and due to inherent complications with the existing chimney flue, the gas water heater was switched for an electric model. Hopefully this setup will last until we're ready to sell the place.

XE1/N5AL
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
The most recent home I bought here in Mexico came with a piece-o-junk water heater that lasted long enough for its two-year warranty to expire. (Note: If a water heater comes with a two-year factory warranty, you just know it has to be good!) I have had experience with this Mexican company's economical line of water heater products before, so I knew that failure was eminent. I was surprised to see the thing survive its short warranty period.

The good news is that much better products are available for purchase, and it only costs about $24 dollars to get a plumber to change out the old heater for the new one.

kf0rt
03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
New thermocouple seems to be doing the job, though it feels a bit like replacing a water pump on a 1972 Matador.

Need to replace the furnace here, too -- it's still the original (house built in 1973). Been trouble-free (knock on wood), but that can't last forever. Then again, might just sell the place at a nice discount for someone who enjoys sweat equity.