PDA

View Full Version : WH6DWF Downgraded

W3WN
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
In today's FCC bulletin, Todd Wilson WH6DWF got downgraded from General to Technician.

Reason being: He license was incorrectly authorized due to "an error made during the application process."

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-408A1.pdf

N8YX
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Let's see that happen to a few more 313 regulars.

kb2vxa
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Ah but they're giving him time to protest, send them a wet tea bag and call them a bunch of morans.

VE7DCW
03-15-2012, 09:55 PM

A number of the "313 regulars" are Amateur extras I believe....... top level the FCC can give you I believe .....go figure :dunno:

W2NAP
03-15-2012, 09:58 PM
A number of the "313 regulars" are Amateur extras I believe....... top level the FCC can give you I believe .....go figure :dunno:

meh all the unid jammers just need tickets pulled and fines sent out.

KA9MOT
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
meh all the unid jammers just need tickets pulled and fines sent out.

Agreed!

VE7DCW
03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
From what the FCC notification seems to say is that the examiner mistakenly said this gentleman passed as a "general" instead of a "technician" assuming that this guy is a new ham. If my understanding of U.S. amateur radio licencing goes, new hams must start at the technician level and do the exams for general level and extra level. They must do the 3 stage process,or am I off base with that? :dunno:

KG4CGC
03-16-2012, 01:08 AM
From what the FCC notification seems to say is that the examiner mistakenly said this gentleman passed as a "general" instead of a "technician" assuming that this guy is a new ham. If my understanding of U.S. amateur radio licencing goes, new hams must start at the technician level and do the exams for general level and extra level. They must do the 3 stage process,or am I off base with that? :dunno:
You are correct although one can take all 3 tests in one sitting if one so desires.
Now then, if the guy is trying to refute the mistake and claim General, then he's just being another dick.

W3WN
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
From what the FCC notification seems to say is that the examiner mistakenly said this gentleman passed as a "general" instead of a "technician" assuming that this guy is a new ham. If my understanding of U.S. amateur radio licencing goes, new hams must start at the technician level and do the exams for general level and extra level. They must do the 3 stage process,or am I off base with that? :dunno:You have to pass Element 2 (Tech Theory) before you can take Element 3 (General Theory), and you must pass Element 3 before you can take Element 4 (Amateur Extra theory). You can do them all in one sitting, or in combinations, but they must be taken in that order.

N7YA
03-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Its true. I took my 20wpm, then Advanced written, then Extra written in one sitting...wasnt fun for me, im not that kind of guy to enjoy that at all.

ki4itv
03-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I did element 2 first.
Took 1 & 3 together.
...and passed 4 in a separate session.

I was under some family pressure to take element 1 before the drop.

N7YA
03-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I remember looking back at the examiner as he graded me, then he looked up and quietly nodded his head. I thought, "Woohoo! I get the bottom 25 kc, finally!"

W3WN
03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I did element 2 first.
Took 1 & 3 together.
...and passed 4 in a separate session.

I was under some family pressure to take element 1 before the drop.Well, I was talking about the theory elements; those must be taken in order.

Now, there are those of us who remember having to take Element 1A before Element 1B before Element 1C. Then there are those of use who simply remember having to take Element 1A (which had been renamed to simply Element 1). But that's now history, since the FCC decided to drop Element 1 examinations outright.

The schmucks.

VE7DCW
03-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Industry Canada still has a morse code qualification you can be examed on..... of course it's now optional..... still offered to demonstrate code profeciency if needed to obtain permit authorizations in those administrations still requiring it.It's at the 5 word per minute level

N2RJ
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I started with 0 and ended up with Extra.

I did all 4 elements in one sitting (including morse code).

N2RJ
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Wait, so why was he downgraded? For punishment for .313 activities or because of a clerical error?

The latter is AOK but the former is troubling. If you didn't sit your test in front of an FCC examiner, it seems here that the FCC can just make up some excuse to take away your license. Is that QSL?