PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother Street Light Talks to You

n2ize
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
New intelligent big brother street light / lamp post watches you, records your conversations, takes your picture, and warns you to watch your step ...OR ELSE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z71gwR7kss

VE7DCW
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM
It's just as bad as sticking a CCTV camera on every street corner to watch you.....this is more covert and a little creepy

I'll pass thanks ..... :hand:

KG4CGC
03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Well, as long as it's for the children ...

n2ize
03-15-2012, 12:08 AM
It's just as bad as sticking a CCTV camera on every street corner to watch you.....this is more covert and a little creepy

I'll pass thanks ..... :hand:

Yeah, but you never know. You may be walking down a street one night and a lamp post might just start talking to you... And it may expect an answer... The question I have is, I never talked to a lamp post before. I don't know what to say to a lamp post.

This is more than just a little creepy...It's very creepy. What is even more creepy is that government agencies are throwing money at this.

P.S. In the old days the local kids would have shot them out.

W2NAP
03-15-2012, 12:41 AM
P.S. In the old days the local kids would have shot them out.

now that would get them sent to gitmo and labeled a terrorist

KG4CGC
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
now that would get them sent to gitmo and labeled a terrorist

Or something to the effect of ruining their lives FOREVER! No jobs for pole offenders.

KC2UGV
03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Everyone here does realize, that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy whilst in public space, right?

This is no different than having a police officer on each corner.

W3WN
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
And to think, it used to be if you were spotted having a conversation with a street lamp, either you were thought to be drunk, or off your meds.

NQ6U
03-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Just think of the implications of that line from The 59th Street Bridge Song:

Hello lamp post, what you knowing?

I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't tell you that. It would jeopardize the mission.

n2ize
03-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Everyone here does realize, that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy whilst in public space, right?

This is no different than having a police officer on each corner.

No, a police officer on the corner is acceptable and far more effective. This crap is not going to prevent street crime. My guess is that they will install them in certain sections of some of the more densly populated towns and cities, such as near parks or town squares or the village commons. Over time it will break down due to lack or maintenance and the overall effect of the elements. Soon after it will be torn out and tossed into the city dump but not till after the taxpayers paid for this garbage and the owners of the company that made it have laughed their way to the bank. Do we really need this junk ? We've got real problems in this country and this is the best they can do is to shove this shit down peoples throats ?

True, in public they may have a right to photograph you, film you, record your conversation, track your path, give you your marching orders through a street light and expect you to obey and respond verbally to that lamp post. However, it is pretty sick when you live in a society that has so much mistrust and contempt for its citizenry that it implement this kind of crap on a grand scale. This will only serve to raise public mistrust, apathy,and hatred of government and create a more vengeful society.

XE1/N5AL
03-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Got to agree 100% with N2IZE. In addition, vandalism and theft will take their toll on the system.

KC2UGV
03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
No, a police officer on the corner is acceptable and far more effective. This crap is not going to prevent street crime. My guess is that they will install them in certain sections of some of the more densly populated towns and cities, such as near parks or town squares or the village commons. Over time it will break down due to lack or maintenance and the overall effect of the elements. Soon after it will be torn out and tossed into the city dump but not till after the taxpayers paid for this garbage and the owners of the company that made it have laughed their way to the bank. Do we really need this junk ? We've got real problems in this country and this is the best they can do is to shove this shit down peoples throats ?

True, in public they may have a right to photograph you, film you, record your conversation, track your path, give you your marching orders through a street light and expect you to obey and respond verbally to that lamp post. However, it is pretty sick when you live in a society that has so much mistrust and contempt for its citizenry that it implement this kind of crap on a grand scale. This will only serve to raise public mistrust, apathy,and hatred of government and create a more vengeful society.

While, I agree, a uniformed officer is more effective, I'm not sure how much more acceptable it is.

W2NAP
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
if the lamp posts starts barking orders at me. it will get to see a nice big

bird

kb2vxa
03-15-2012, 06:06 PM
"In addition, vandalism and theft will take their toll on the system."
I can say all that in one word; Detroit.

ad4mg
03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Talk back to the GD thing. Muther-fsck it a few times, see what happens! If the cops ask you what was up, tell 'em you and the streetlight were having oral sex.

kb2vxa
03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
You'd get arrested but confuse the cops, drunkenness or prostitution?

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night.

Don't stop believin'
Hold on to the
Streetlights, people

n2ize
03-16-2012, 09:58 PM
I would like to go a step further and create lamp posts that not only do all the things these spy lights do but do even more. I would like to build lamp posts that can also move around from place to place and even follow people. My lamp posts would also be equipped with weapons. They would be able to fire tear gas, taze people, make arrests, and, even fire live rounds of ammunition. Imagine someone is mugging someone and my lamp post runs over chases after the mugger and shoots him down...

kf0rt
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Talk back to the GD thing. Muther-fsck it a few times, see what happens! If the cops ask you what was up, tell 'em you and the streetlight were having oral sex.

Bring a can of Krylon and point it at the "eyes." Maybe some spray foam for the ears.

Ain't digging this much at all. Does this make me a "hippie?"

VE7DCW
03-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Bring a can of Krylon and point it at the "eyes." Maybe some spray foam for the ears.

I'd expect that will happen to a few of them, damn kids will graffiti and tag the hell out of them..... I know thats what I would do :snicker:

NA4BH
03-16-2012, 10:57 PM
When I was growing up kids in our neighborhood would take gobs of wet toilet paper and launch it onto the uncovered street lights. Real big glow and BAMM !!!! Hoodlums I tell ya.

n2ize
03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I'd expect that will happen to a few of them, damn kids will graffiti and tag the hell out of them..... I know thats what I would do :snicker:

Back in the 60's and 70's kids would do that sort of thing. Nowadays vandalism is not too popular. Kids in the old days used to break everything. These days kids don;t find vandalism entertaining anymore.

And they shouldn't break things... with the exception of spy lights perhaps...:evil:

n2ize
03-17-2012, 12:04 AM
When I was growing up kids in our neighborhood would take gobs of wet toilet paper and launch it onto the uncovered street lights. Real big glow and BAMM !!!! Hoodlums I tell ya.

Many moons ago there was a guy (in his early 20's) who used to come around with a .22 rifle shooting out every light over several blocks. Eventually he stopped coming around. Either he was caught and went to jail, outgrew the "hobby", or figured he had better not press his luck.

Also many moons ago I was at a friends house one night and his yard was adjacent to a vacant lot and we had some tin cans lined up and we were knocking them over with a new air gun her just got. We were just about done and his sister (also about our age) who never shot a gun in her life comes over and asks if she could try and shoot it. The cans were all knocked down so her brother points to a light bordering the vacant lot about 25 feet away and about 15 feet up on a pole and tells her to "shoot the light". So she says, "why not, there is no way I'll ever hit it" and she points the gun up at it and fires. A second after she fires I hear a POP and the tinkling sound of glass and the light flickers and goes off. Damned !! She hit it !! She couldn't believe it and then she was terrified because she was sure that the cops would come and take her to jail. But they never did. Crazy stuff.

w2amr
03-17-2012, 07:00 AM
New intelligent big brother street light / lamp post watches you, records your conversations, takes your picture, and warns you to watch your step ...OR ELSE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z71gwR7kss
You mean while other towns are just trying to keep their head above water, Farmington hills has the funds for this shit? Hey Mr. lamp post, stand by for my public service announcment, Go fuck yourself.

ki4itv
03-17-2012, 10:10 AM

No, it makes you a sane and concerned citizen. Just like we were before "we cleaned up so nice". ;)

W7XF
03-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Back in the 60's and 70's kids would do that sort of thing. Nowadays vandalism is not too popular. Kids in the old days used to break everything. These days kids don;t find vandalism entertaining anymore.
And they shouldn't break things... with the exception of spy lights and photo radar boxes..:evil:

Fixed...let the kids restore the.Constitution