PDA

View Full Version : A murky line if there ever was one...

ki4itv
03-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Once connected and wearing their signs these homeless people could then walk around the area making connections in return for donations. However, the reaction to them was one of shock, and the firm has been forced to defend the concept.
Linky (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2158941/homeless-hotspots-draw-criticism)

OK, I'm just not sure what's happening here...
Is it a job? Just WTF is it?

KC2UGV
03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I'd consider this to be a good thing. Homeless folks, in a number of urban areas, are strategically positioned (Through their lifestyle) to provide a service like this. I don't think it should be "Donations", however. They should be paid a percentage of the fee levied by the WISP, as if they are contractors.

They should also have labor protections for this, so they don't get arrested while working. I think it's a win-win here.

KJ3N
03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Linky (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2158941/homeless-hotspots-draw-criticism)

OK, I'm just not sure what's happening here...
Is it a job? Just WTF is it?

It's exploitation, IMO.

KC2UGV
03-13-2012, 07:36 AM
It's exploitation, IMO.

I don't think exploitation is the appropriate term. It's a non-profit coordinating this with homeless advocacy groups in the area. It's main goal is to get the "Wifi Spots" starting to speak about their experiences, and giving them an online voice outlet.

http://homelesshotspots.org/

WØTKX
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
It's not exploitation, it's a win=win if managed correctly.

W3WN
03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I can't quite put my finger on exactly what, but it smells wrong. "Exploitation" is certainly part of that, to say nothing of an implied disdain in human dignity.

KC2UGV
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I can't quite put my finger on exactly what, but it smells wrong. "Exploitation" is certainly part of that, to say nothing of an implied disdain in human dignity.

I don't feel so. It's a chance to make money. Nobody is exploiting them, they keep the money. There's not even a captive portal.

K7SGJ
03-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't feel so. It's a chance to make money. Nobody is exploiting them, they keep the money. There's not even a captive portal.

I wonder, if given some time, they're going to be part of the 1%?

KC2UGV
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I wonder, if given some time, they're going to be part of the 1%?

Of course! Every American has the same chance at becoming the 1%. Except 99% of Americans who will never become part of the 1% :)

N8YX
03-13-2012, 02:25 PM
In certain circles (namely, the OMG culture) being a 1 percenter carries an entirely different stigma with it.

KG4CGC
03-13-2012, 02:43 PM

And WHY THE HELL do you WANT HOMELESS BUMS to MAKE MONEY?
ALL THEY'RE GOING TO DO IS USE THAT MONEY TO GET HIGH!

KG4CGC
03-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Every time a homeless bum gets high, another baby gets infantazized!

K7SGJ
03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Every time a homeless bum gets high, another baby gets infantazized!

And an old Jew Mormanized?