PDA

View Full Version : Pink Slime! Yuck!

KA9MOT
03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Many of us has seen ABC's recent reports on Lean Finely Textured Beef also known as "Pink Slime".

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/is-pink-slime-in-the-beef-at-your-grocery-store/

I found their description of this product to be unclear. What exactly is "Pink Slime"?

This video makes it very clear the we have a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30&feature=colike

K7SGJ
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
That's why we grind our own beef. No fillers. We buy ~30lb-40lb of inexpensive beef (and pork) when it's on sale, and run it through the Kitchen Aid. You can also better control the amount of fat you want in the meat.

KA9MOT
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't think we'll be able to grind our own here, but I will insist they grind it in front of me from now on. I emailed all of our local grocery chains and they all admit to using it. What a world we live in. It is in all of our school lunches as well.

VE7MGF
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
http://topnews.net.nz/content/221619-pink-slime-attack
there you go yum yum

KA9MOT
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
http://topnews.net.nz/content/221619-pink-slime-attack
there you go yum yum

They need a proof reader.

n2ize
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
That's why we grind our own beef. No fillers. We buy ~30lb-40lb of inexpensive beef (and pork) when it's on sale, and run it through the Kitchen Aid. You can also better control the amount of fat you want in the meat.

My Mom does the same thing. She'll buy both expensive and less expensive meats (i.e. beef , pork, lamb) and grind it. At first I used to ask why she doesn't just buy it already ground. Now I understand why.

In the old days we used to go to a small butcher shops and they would do the grinding right in front of you. Unfortunately the small butchers are hard to find these days. So the next best thing, chop it yourself.

n2ize
03-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't think we'll be able to grind our own here

My Mom uses a regular food processor. Works great. If you have a food processor give it a whirl.

NA4BH
03-13-2012, 08:31 PM
After seeing this, I just ordered a meat grinder.

K7SGJ
03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
After seeing this, I just ordered a meat grinder.

You'll be amazed how much better the burgers, meatloaf, and all that will taste; chicken and turkey burgers, too. Many times, we will mix the ground beef with some ground pork. Makes a tasty mixture.

NA4BH
03-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Any good "tricks" to perfection?

ab1ga
03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Soylent Pink is.... ?

NQ6U
03-13-2012, 09:39 PM
...earthworms.

NA4BH
03-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I've been cravin' a pink burger myself. :-P

K7SGJ
03-13-2012, 09:46 PM
If the grinder has different size grates, try them both. We liker the burger's with the bigger size grind and meatloaf with the smaller.If you have a fairly good sized piece of meat to start with, be sure to cut several pounds ofstew sized beef. Not only good for stew, but for sishkaboobs, too.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 08:10 AM
"Pink Slime" is merely mechanically separated meat. They are able to get more of the meat (And gristle) from the bone, and use it as filler. Not the most nutritious part of the cut, but it's not dangerous.

People start getting all wonky over something they'd gnaw off the bone anyways. I know I like a big chunk of gristle sometimes :)

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
"Pink Slime" is merely mechanically separated meat. They are able to get more of the meat (And gristle) from the bone, and use it as filler. Not the most nutritious part of the cut, but it's not dangerous.

People start getting all wonky over something they'd gnaw off the bone anyways. I know I like a big chunk of gristle sometimes :)

Until they start adding ammonia and other stuff. Is it your proposal that cow shit, tenderly and gently disinfected is no longer cow shit? Maybe it is not dangerous, but I am paying for prime grade "A" beef. No beef by products (Dog Food) or cow shit included. Ground beef is almost $4 a pound here, I'm pretty sure I can get a pound of Old Roy for less.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Until they start adding ammonia and other stuff. Is it your proposal that cow shit, tenderly and gently disinfected is no longer cow shit? Maybe it is not dangerous, but I am paying for prime grade "A" beef. No beef by products (Dog Food) or cow shit included. Ground beef is almost $4 a pound here, I'm pretty sure I can get a pound of Old Roy for less.

They're not adding ammonia... It's being rinse in ammonia as a disinfectant. The ammonia is then rinsed away. If it contained ammonia, you would die upon eating it. And, last I checked, nobody has died.

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
They're not adding ammonia... It's being rinse in ammonia as a disinfectant. The ammonia is then rinsed away. If it contained ammonia, you would die upon eating it. And, last I checked, nobody has died.

Nobody has died yet.

So you are saying it is OK to eat cow shit if they wash the germs away? I know you can eat allot of stuff for a very long time before it's consequences rears it ugly head... Lead for instance.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Nobody has died yet.

So you are saying it is OK to eat cow shit if they wash the germs away? I know you can eat allot of stuff for a very long time before it's consequences rears it ugly head... Lead for instance.

Sigh.

In reality, yes, you can eat cow shit, if there is no bacterium present in it. It's not toxic, you know. Ammonia, in fact, isn't all too toxic, unless ingested in large amounts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia#Toxicity

So, while Mechanically Separated Meat most likely isn't the most tastiest meat product, and has almost no nutritional value; it's hardly dangerous to consume.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey! Lookey here! Tap water must be toxic and dangerous too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification#Chloramine_disinfection

They add ammonia to water, sometimes.

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
So, if your Rib Eye gets cow shit on it and I wash it off before I sell it to you, that is ok? You'll feed that to your family? My problem revolves around poor quality meat and the fact that it has been tainted with the contents of the cows intestines being sold to me while the scientist say poo-poo on that and the industry says it is healthy and nutritional. Cow shit is cow shit.

Wikipedia is not a good reference..........You might as well quote the National Enquirer....

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:26 AM
So, if your Rib Eye gets cow shit on it and I wash it off before I sell it to you, that is ok? You'll feed that to your family? My problem revolves around poor quality meat and the fact that it has been tainted with the contents of the cows intestines being sold to me while the scientist say poo-poo on that and the industry says it is healthy and nutritional. Cow shit is cow shit.

Wikipedia is not a good reference..........You might as well quote the National Enquirer....

Fine. Look at the MSDS for ammonia then. And, if ammonia is extremely toxic, please explain how you have ammonia in your blood all the time, yet still live? Or, go find your own reference then for water chlorination methods. It's not like it's unverifiable.

And, Wikipedia is about as accurate as Encyclopedia Brittanica: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/438900a.html

And, technically, yes, if cow shit gets on your meat, and you wash it off removing all bacteria from it, you will not die. You should take a look at your dish cloth or dish sponge one of these days. You'll have a fucking heart attack when you see the microbial content per cm^2... Or, your counter top. Talk about "Yuck!"

About chloramine: http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/disinfectants.cfm

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
This is not about ammonia. Ammonia is only the means. This is about garbage meat and the cow shit that is on it that is being sold to us as Wholesome, and Nutritious and apparently it is also about peoples willingness to eat cow shit and pay $4 a pound for this delicacy.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
This is not about ammonia. Ammonia is only the means. This is about garbage meat and the cow shit that is on it that is being sold to us as Wholesome, and Nutritious and apparently it is also about peoples willingness to eat cow shit and pay $4 a pound for this delicacy.

It's not being sold as nutritious. It's well known the nutritional content is about zero. Wholesome? It is by the FDA definition, which means it's something you can eat, but wont kill you. Cow shit on it? Not really, it's been washed off. It's being used as filler, the same purpose grain is used for in many non-meat products (And, some meat products).

Do you reject a cut of meat that has been on the floor? If so, you need to reject every last single cut of meat. I can best it has been on at least one floor. Do you eat sausage? If so, watch out! It's been in contact with cow shit, for extended periods of time. After all, it's intestines.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Oh, and I forgot!!! Put down the hot dogs!

If you want to learn about Mechanically Separated Meat, from an unbiased source, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_separated_meat

Make sure you go to all the citations for the claims made... Since you wont take it at face value (Which, you shouldn't).

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:49 AM
And, another source:
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

So, after you learn what it really is, maybe then, we can drop the hyperbole, and talk about the real issue: Why are consumers paying so much, for something as cheap as it is?

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
And, another variety of "Pink Slime":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneless_lean_beef_trimmings

Not quite the devil you thought, huh?

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
It's not being sold as nutritious. It's well known the nutritional content is about zero. Wholesome? It is by the FDA definition, which means it's something you can eat, but wont kill you. Cow shit on it? Not really, it's been washed off. It's being used as filler, the same purpose grain is used for in many non-meat products (And, some meat products).

From email reply from my local grocer: (Attribute Statement to American Meat President J. Patrick Boyle)
Washington, DC, March 8, 2012 -- “Boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT) is a safe, wholesome and nutritious form of beef that is made by separating lean beef from fat. To make the product, beef companies use beef trimmings, the small cuts of beef that remain when larger cuts are trimmed down. These trimmings are USDA inspected, wholesome cuts of beef that contain both fat and lean and are nearly impossible to separate using a knife.

This release is obviously not factual. The meat used is from the body cavity, not trimmed from usable meat.

Do you reject a cut of meat that has been on the floor? If so, you need to reject every last single cut of meat. I can best it has been on at least one floor. Do you eat sausage? If so, watch out! It's been in contact with cow shit, for extended periods of time. After all, it's intestines.

As far as I know, Intestines are no longer used as sausage casings. As to beef being on the floor, I have been in many meat processing plants in this country. Most are very clean, I am sure there are some accidents. I have never seen meat on the floor in a packing house. Very little meat comes in contact with feces. If I'm buying something that includes by products, I want to know about it so I can choose to avoid it.

WØTKX
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
^^^ Taaa Daaaa! Why, for the profits, of course... you don't expect the 1% to eat like we do, eh?

At least things are better than they used to be.

There was meat that was taken out of pickle and would often be found sour, and they would rub it up with soda to take away the smell, and sell it to be eaten on free-lunch counters; also of all the miracles of chemistry which they performed, giving to any sort of meat, fresh or salted, whole or chopped, any color and any flavor and any odor they chose. In the pickling of hams they had an ingenious apparatus, by which they saved time and increased the capacity of the plant – a machine consisting of a hollow needle attached to a pump; by plunging this needle into the meat and working with his foot, a man could fill a ham with pickle in a few seconds. And yet, in spite of this, there would be hams found spoiled, some of them with an odor so bad that a man could hardly bear to be in the room with them. To pump into these the packers had a second and much stronger pickle which destroyed the odor – a process known to the workers as "giving them thirty per cent." Also, after the hams had been smoked, there would be found some that had gone to the bad. Formerly these had been sold as "Number Three Grade," but later on some ingenious person had hit upon a new device, and now they would extract the bone, about which the bad part generally lay, and insert in the hole a white-hot iron. After this invention there was no longer Number One, Two, and Three Grade – there was only Number One Grade. The packers were always originating such schemes – they had what they called "boneless hams," which were all the odds and ends of pork stuffed into casings; and "California hams," which were the shoulders, with big knuckle joints, and nearly all the meat cut out; and fancy "skinned hams," which were made of the oldest hogs, whose skins were so heavy and coarse that no one would buy them – that is, until they had been cooked and chopped fine and labeled "head cheese!" ~ "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
From email reply from my local grocer: (Attribute Statement to American Meat President J. Patrick Boyle)
Washington, DC, March 8, 2012 -- “Boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT) is a safe, wholesome and nutritious form of beef that is made by separating lean beef from fat. To make the product, beef companies use beef trimmings, the small cuts of beef that remain when larger cuts are trimmed down. These trimmings are USDA inspected, wholesome cuts of beef that contain both fat and lean and are nearly impossible to separate using a knife.

This release is obviously not factual. The meat used is from the body cavity, not trimmed from usable meat.

BLBT is the same meat you get from the cut. The only difference? The form. That's all. It comes from the bone, wherever it might be.

As far as I know, Intestines are no longer used as sausage casings. As to beef being on the floor, I have been in many meat processing plants in this country. Most are very clean, I am sure there are some accidents. I have never seen meat on the floor in a packing house. Very little meat comes in contact with feces. If I'm buying something that includes by products, I want to know about it so I can choose to avoid it.

The floors are just as clean as any other spot in the plant. That's why they wear rubber boots in the processing area. But, they have been on the floor. As for knowing if something contains MSM or BLBT you can know: It's on the ingredients list as such.

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh, and I forgot!!! Put down the hot dogs!

If you want to learn about Mechanically Separated Meat, from an unbiased source, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_separated_meat

Make sure you go to all the citations for the claims made... Since you wont take it at face value (Which, you shouldn't).

Pink slime is not MSM according to your Snopes reference. I don't eat Hot Dogs. Remember what I said about packing plants? Hot Dogs are bad!

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
And, another source:
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

So, after you learn what it really is, maybe then, we can drop the hyperbole, and talk about the real issue: Why are consumers paying so much, for something as cheap as it is?

This Snopes atricle is proof of what I have been saying. Go read it again... LOL!

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
BLBT is the same meat you get from the cut. The only difference? The form. That's all. It comes from the bone, wherever it might be.

That is what the industry wants you to believe. Not what the industries whistleblower and 2 USDA inspectors are saying. Who do you want to believe? Those who stand to profit?

The floors are just as clean as any other spot in the plant. That's why they wear rubber boots in the processing area. But, they have been on the floor. As for knowing if something contains MSM or BLBT you can know: It's on the ingredients list as such.

It is not listed. In fact, the USDA does not require labeling. And then there is this quote to debunk the statement you made and I quoted:

Janet Riley, senior vice president of public affairs for the American Meat Institute recently made her case against labeling, telling ABC News, "What you are asking me to put on the label, its beef, it's on the label, it's a beef product, it's says beef so we are declaring ... it's beef," she said

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.com/035241_pink_slime_beef_ammonia.html#ixzz1p6pZU3oy

In the end, the consumers will decide and your stance on this subject will remain....moot.

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
There is an old saying from the early days of computers that is true for food as well:

"Garbage in, Garbage out"

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Pink slime is not MSM according to your Snopes reference. I don't eat Hot Dogs. Remember what I said about packing plants? Hot Dogs are bad!

"Pink slime" is a term used for BLBT and MSM.

Me? I fucking love hot dogs.

This Snopes atricle is proof of what I have been saying. Go read it again... LOL!

What claim? That meat is meat?

That is what the industry wants you to believe. Not what the industries whistleblower and 2 USDA inspectors are saying. Who do you want to believe? Those who stand to profit?

Please, the only thing shown by "whistleblowers" is a picture of it... "ZOMFG!!! Would you eat this?!?!?!?!ELEVENTY11!"

It is not listed. In fact, the USDA does not require labeling. And then there is this quote to debunk the statement you made and I quoted:

Janet Riley, senior vice president of public affairs for the American Meat Institute recently made her case against labeling, telling ABC News, "What you are asking me to put on the label, its beef, it's on the label, it's a beef product, it's says beef so we are declaring ... it's beef," she said

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.com/035241_pink_slime_beef_ammonia.html#ixzz1p6pZU3oy

I stand corrected on this. However, it doesn't change the fact that BLBT is beef. Fine, you want it called out? Whatever.

In the end, the consumers will decide and your stance on this subject will remain....moot.

Um, I am a consumer.

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes Corey, you are a consumer and you are vastly out numbered on this one.

Allow me to help you with you love of Hot Dogs. Back in the late 60s and early 1970s the Farmland Foods hog plant was called Wilson's. My big brother worked there and he told me a story about how things went. At the end of each table was a bin that scraps went in. The workers would toss there cigarettes in that bin. The tobacco chewers would spit their "juice" and use tobacco in that bin. If somebody coughed up a lung, the flem would end up in that bin. The contents of that bin were frozen when it got full and sold to some company that made Hot Dogs. Farmland still has those bins and they may be cleaner now than what they were then, but Farmland makes their own hot dogs.

As for the Whisleblowers..... Follow the money. Who gains by telling you something that is untrue? Whistleblowers always take a beat down.

KB3LAZ
03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
At least its not pink sock.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 12:21 PM

I dunno about that...
http://www.hot-dog.org/ht/d/sp/i/39126/pid/39126%20

817 hot dogs consumed each second during peak (aka Spring and Summer) time of the year.

I wonder how long this ban would last once people found out they couldn't eat hot dogs?

Allow me to help you with you love of Hot Dogs. Back in the late 60s and early 1970s the Farmland Foods hog plant was called Wilson's. My big brother worked there and he told me a story about how things went. At the end of each table was a bin that scraps went in. The workers would toss there cigarettes in that bin. The tobacco chewers would spit their "juice" and use tobacco in that bin. If somebody coughed up a lung, the flem would end up in that bin. The contents of that bin were frozen when it got full and sold to some company that made Hot Dogs. Farmland still has those bins and they may be cleaner now than what they were then, but Farmland makes their own hot dogs.

Apparently, all that chit makes them fucking delicious. I'm sold!

As for the Whisleblowers..... Follow the money. Who gains by telling you something that is untrue? Whistleblowers always take a beat down.

Again, all I've seen so far were pictures, followed by "ZOMFG!!!! HOW CAN WE EAT THIS!!!ELEVENTY@!", then followed by tonnes of hyperbole, like,"ZOMFG!!!! THEY SOAK THIS STUFF IN AMMONIA!!!!!@#!!ELEVEN1", which that's patently untrue.

So, yeah, let's follow the money: Where did this story break first? That's right, on Day Time TV. Can you say,"RATINGS?"

KA9MOT
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I dunno about that...
http://www.hot-dog.org/ht/d/sp/i/39126/pid/39126 (http://www.hot-dog.org/ht/d/sp/i/39126/pid/39126)

817 hot dogs consumed each second during peak (aka Spring and Summer) time of the year.

I wonder how long this ban would last once people found out they couldn't eat hot dogs?

Apparently, all that chit makes them fucking delicious. I'm sold!

I was speaking of the "Pink Slime" topic. And you know it.

Again, all I've seen so far were pictures, followed by "ZOMFG!!!! HOW CAN WE EAT THIS!!!ELEVENTY@!", then followed by tonnes of hyperbole, like,"ZOMFG!!!! THEY SOAK THIS STUFF IN AMMONIA!!!!!@#!!ELEVEN1", which that's patently untrue.

So, yeah, let's follow the money: Where did this story break first? That's right, on Day Time TV. Can you say,"RATINGS?"[/QUOTE]

New York Times. Check the date in the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

I'm not here to argue with you Corey. If you want to eat cow shit.... be my guest.

KC2UGV
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I was speaking of the "Pink Slime" topic. And you know it.

So, yeah, let's follow the money: Where did this story break first? That's right, on Day Time TV. Can you say,"RATINGS?"

New York Times. Check the date in the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

I'm not here to argue with you Corey. If you want to eat cow shit.... be my guest.

If you think MSM and BLBT is cow shit, I don't know else to show you, other than the evidence at hand with discounts that. And the NYT article you linked only shows that the ammonia treatment doesn't perform as well as thought in removing E. Coli... Nothing about cow shit.

WØTKX
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Effin' Ewww. :hand:

KB3LAZ
03-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Effin' Ewww. :hand:

Blue waffle on the side?

WØTKX
03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
There is something seriously wrong with you, child. :neener:

KB3LAZ
03-14-2012, 11:38 PM
There is something seriously wrong with you, child. :neener:

I have IBS but I dont think that is what you mean.

NQ6U
03-14-2012, 11:51 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zTdON0kMGCw/TUb6CG-1H2I/AAAAAAAABQg/iVF2V3uXw1U/s1600/LPS.jpg

KG4CGC
03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Oh! It's butthole! Pink sock is butthole! Sometimes prolapsed and poking out giving the appearance and hence the name, "Pink Sock!"
Yes! There was a pregnant woman on YouTube talking about this medical condition! She needed a special toilet seat to keep her, "sock" clear of the water.

n2ize
03-16-2012, 12:40 AM

I generally don't trust "natural news" as a viable information source. They are known to exaggerate and perpetrate some pretty heavy health related conspiracy theories.

n2ize
03-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Hey! Lookey here! Tap water must be toxic and dangerous too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification#Chloramine_disinfection

They add ammonia to water, sometimes.

Not to mention chlorine and flouride ions. The added fluoride ions are in minuscule amounts, less than the amount found in many natural bodies of water that people have been drinking from for centuries. Yet the conspiracy theorists have declared that the fluoride added to water is equal to rat poison. Chlorine is a powerful toxic irritant. A solid whiff of concentrated chlorine gas irritates the bronchial system so severe that it may make breathing extremely difficult or impossible. Yet, added to water in very small quantities it acts as a safe disinfectant/germicidal agent...

And, lets think about what is in water. If you drink from a reservoir... bird shit, animal urine, decayed plant matter, spit, garbage people carelessly toss in, sediments from the bottom, clostridium bacteria, etc. But by the time we disinfect it, treat it, filter it, is quite pure and safe.

KG4CGC
03-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Not to mention chlorine and flouride ions. The added fluoride ions are in minuscule amounts, less than the amount found in many natural bodies of water that people have been drinking from for centuries. Yet the conspiracy theorists have declared that the fluoride added to water is equal to rat poison. Chlorine is a powerful toxic irritant. A solid whiff of concentrated chlorine gas irritates the bronchial system so severe that it may make breathing extremely difficult or impossible. Yet, added to water in very small quantities it acts as a safe disinfectant/germicidal agent...

And, lets think about what is in water. If you drink from a reservoir... bird shit, animal urine, decayed plant matter, spit, garbage people carelessly toss in, sediments from the bottom, clostridium bacteria, etc. But by the time we disinfect it, treat it, filter it, is quite pure and safe.
... and rubbers.

n2ize
03-16-2012, 12:58 AM
As far as I know, Intestines are no longer used as sausage casings.

Sure they are. As a matter of fact many of the more expensive finer quality sausages use natural casing products from mucosa of the animal intestine. Natural casing has many advantages. In particular if you are smoking the sausage it allows the smoke to better penetrate into the meat. Many of the fresh sausage products use natural casing. Good Italian pepperoni uses natural casing. The hot or sweet Italian sausage that my Mom adds to the spaghetti sauce is enclosed in natural casing. Natural casing is also edible in many cases, although many people peel it or remove it.

Some violin strings are also made from animal gut (intestine) although synthetic materials like perlon are more common nowadays.. No, they are not made from cats gut, nor, at least to my knowledge, were they ever made from cats.

People have always been quite resourceful in using all parts of the animal for food, clothing, and all sorts of purposes. Why waste a valuable resource ? It seems that the use of the material scrapes from the bone is a part of that resourcefulness. Why waste a good product ?

n2ize
03-16-2012, 01:06 AM

That is why I will only consume Kosher hot dogs.

KG4CGC
03-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Sure they are. As a matter of fact many of the more expensive finer quality sausages use natural casing products from mucosa of the animal intestine. Natural casing has many advantages. In particular if you are smoking the sausage it allows the smoke to better penetrate into the meat. Many of the fresh sausage products use natural casing. Good Italian pepperoni uses natural casing. The hot or sweet Italian sausage that my Mom adds to the spaghetti sauce is enclosed in natural casing. Natural casing is also edible in many cases, although many people peel it or remove it.

Some violin strings are also made from animal gut (intestine) although synthetic materials like perlon are more common nowadays.. No, they are not made from cats gut, nor, at least to my knowledge, were they ever made from cats.

People have always been quite resourceful in using all parts of the animal for food, clothing, and all sorts of purposes. Why waste a valuable resource ? It seems that the use of the material scrapes from the bone is a part of that resourcefulness. Why waste a good product ?

Are lamb intestines still used to make prophylactics?

n2ize
03-16-2012, 01:16 AM

Don't know. I doubt it. Never used one.

KA9MOT
03-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I generally don't trust "natural news" as a viable information source. They are known to exaggerate and perpetrate some pretty heavy health related conspiracy theories.

I only used that source in reference to the quote made by Janet Riley. They quoted ABC news which is where I saw it the first time. It is word for word. If you like, you can find it in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n71i2we5z20&feature=colike

Beyond that I know nothing of the site. I googled it.

KA9MOT
03-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Who drinks Tap Water? Not I. Tap Water in the Heartland mostly comes from wells, or the Mississippi river (around here) and both the groundwater supply and our rivers and streams were polluted to unsafe levels by farmers and other industry long before I was born.

KA9MOT
03-16-2012, 01:21 AM

I eat patties and darn little of that. Good thing because I wouldn't know a real casing if I saw it.

The industry tells us that this is material scraped from the bone. The insiders tell us it is from the body cavity, close to the hide and easily contaminated by feces.

Here again, who are you going to believe? Those who profit or those who can only lose?

KG4CGC
03-16-2012, 01:22 AM
I believe I've seen lamb intestine prophylactics on the shelves as recently as 10 years ago. I figured maybe they still had them in large metropolitan areas like yours.

KC2UGV
03-16-2012, 06:23 AM

I believe I've seen lamb intestine prophylactics on the shelves as recently as 10 years ago. I figured maybe they still had them in large metropolitan areas like yours.

Yep yep. I can still find them on shelves here.

Who drinks Tap Water? Not I. Tap Water in the Heartland mostly comes from wells, or the Mississippi river (around here) and both the groundwater supply and our rivers and streams were polluted to unsafe levels by farmers and other industry long before I was born.

I do. It's pretty good here, and many of our local brewers are using it to their advantage. Lake Erie water has a characteristic flavor, and local brewers work with that flavor to enhance their products.

I eat patties and darn little of that. Good thing because I wouldn't know a real casing if I saw it.

The industry tells us that this is material scraped from the bone. The insiders tell us it is from the body cavity, close to the hide and easily contaminated by feces.

Here again, who are you going to believe? Those who profit or those who can only lose?

No matter where it comes from, it's still meat. In fact, scrapings from the bone are further away from the hide than normal chicken breast, that usually cover the bone. The scrapings are what is UNDER that meat.

NQ6U
03-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Yes. They are not effective in preventing the transmission of the HIV virus, however.

n2ize
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Round here the tap water comes from rather pristine sources and designated reservoirs up in the Catskill mountains and it has excellent rating for purity, taste, etc. I drink it all the time.

KG4CGC
03-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes. They are not effective in preventing the transmission of the HIV virus, however.

I can see why. They are semi permeable or should I say, porous on a micro level. It is their unique contour texture transmission that makes them desirable I suppose.
In high school, we would look for ways to be annoying with them. No one wanted to use them ... BECAUSE THEY SMELLED SO BAD!

n2ize
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I do. It's pretty good here, and many of our local brewers are using it to their advantage. Lake Erie water has a characteristic flavor, and local brewers work with that flavor to enhance their products.

Same holds true for beer brewers and Long Island water. One of the reasons the Piels Brewing Company and other brewers settled in Brooklyn and Long Island in the early days was because they found the Long Island water very well suited to brewing beer.

And when i refer to Piels I am not talking about the crap they may be brewing and selling nowadays under the name of Piels . Modern day Piels is not the Piels of the old days. In the old days Piels was a damned good beer.

kb2vxa
03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
"Lake Erie water has a characteristic flavor, and local brewers work with that flavor to enhance their products."
It sure does, everything from sewage to chemical waste. The Great Lakes are so polluted people in Detroit have a special name for Lake Huron owing to the regional accent that gives it that special flavor, Lake Urine.

"One of the reasons the Piels Brewing Company and other brewers settled in Brooklyn and Long Island in the early days was because they found the Long Island water very well suited to brewing beer."
I don't know about Brooklyn these days but everything on Long Island is still well water having little to no surface water on the island. Beer made there today has that soft glow in the dark ever since the reactor at Brookdale National Laboratory sprung a leak.

"Modern day Piels is not the Piels of the old days."
Agreed, Bert and Harry are spinning in their graves! The voices were Bob Elliot and Ray Goulding (Bob is still around, Ray died in 1990) of radio fame and Bob is the father of Chris Elliot, winner of the Razzie Award for the worst new star.

Back to strange animal products (strange products, not strange animals) we have my all time favorite, scrapple. Made from every part of the pig but the squeal, sliced and fried in butter you just have to taste it to believe it. The best part are the spices, you don't need condiments to liven it up, frankly it's best eaten as is with maybe a little chow-chow on the side. FYI Wos Wit is the ONLY chow-chow for THIS Pennsylvania Dutchman!

http://www.wos-wit.com/

KA9MOT
03-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Round here the tap water comes from rather pristine sources and designated reservoirs up in the Catskill mountains and it has excellent rating for purity, taste, etc. I drink it all the time.

I grew up in NE PA and I remember that water very well. Absolutely the best. When we moved to IL in the late 70s I discovered what poor water was. I took my wife (an Illinois girl) to PA for the first time she detested the water. I guess it is what you're used to. At least we knew the water that ran off of the mountain and came out of the springs was clean.

Damn.... I wish I lived in 3 land.

KA9MOT
03-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Not to be contrary but, I grew up in PA in the 60s and 70s. I remember very clearly the condition of Lake Erie back then. They've done a wonderful job cleaning that mess up, and the fisheries are coming back, but I'd have to wonder what causes that characteristic flavor.

Speaking of local breweries.........any body have a Genny (sp)?

KC2UGV
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Not to be contrary but, I grew up in PA in the 60s and 70s. I remember very clearly the condition of Lake Erie back then. They've done a wonderful job cleaning that mess up, and the fisheries are coming back, but I'd have to wonder what causes that characteristic flavor.

Minerals. Iron, calcium, phosphates, etc etc

Speaking of local breweries.........any body have a Genny (sp)?

I've been looking for the cream ale... Can't find it.

NQ6U
03-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Most of the water here on the Islets of Langerhans comes from the Colorado River downstream from the Grand Canyon. As might be expected, it has a high mineral content so it tastes weird and you have to remember to chew it before you swallow.

KA9MOT
03-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Most of the water here on the Islets of Langerhans comes from the Colorado River downstream from the Grand Canyon. As might be expected, it has a high mineral content so it tastes weird and you have to remember to chew it before you swallow.

That's from all the "fornicating" the spring breakers do at the "River" and Lake Mead.......... High sperm count

n2ize
03-17-2012, 12:10 AM

Probably has a high flouride content too.

KG4CGC
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM
That's from all the "fornicating" the spring breakers do at the "River" and Lake Mead.......... High sperm count

And rubbers.

KA9MOT
03-17-2012, 01:04 AM
And rubbers.

Leaky ones, made from intestines.

KG4CGC
03-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Leaky ones, made from intestines.

I just figured the used ones ended up in the lake. I mean, WTF else do you do with used ones?
(don't answer that)

NQ6U
03-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Probably has a high flouride content too.

If it is, it's naturally-occurring fluoride. They don't add it here.