PDA

View Full Version : Another FOF

Jeff K1NSS
03-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes, another Fusillade of Flackery, but with every hope that it might amuse youse like a clown, or at least prove diverting as any given minute of the Knife Channel. If I do squeeze an eBook or something out of this stunt, any proceeds will be donated to the Washington State University amateur radio club, a very real and vital group of good kid hams. http://hamradio.wsu.edu/

WSU ARC, is among the oldest collegiate clubs, established in 1911, a year or two before most of us and possibly KB2VXA. The club's original proper name -- Alpha Chapter, Rho Epsilon Radio Fraternity -- remains a quaint vestigial holdover, conjuring a boatload of jazz age pop culture. The catalyst for sending Dash! back to college -- Dog-Face SAY WHAT? -- was stumbling across Alpha Chapter's W7YH QSL posted on Facebook, which looked something like cards that classic QST cartoonist Gil Gildersleeve, W1CJD, drew for lucky individuals and clubs, including the hammy whiffenpoofs of Yale University. While not by Gil, this cool card set in motion a train wreck of thought that led to getting in touch with the club and securing their awesome help in dramatizing what must be one of ham radio's more entertaining Believe It or Nots, right up there with the Wouff Hong.

Speaking of Warped Wouffs, I didn't LET The Dog out for this one. This Old Man, he all but charged the door, running back to school faster than you can say Rodney Dangerfield. Suffice to say Dash! never joined a fraternity the first time around. And now, just coming to terms with his mortality, he's determined to make up for all the toga he missed, in no small part because whenever he tried to rush a fraternity in the 60s, he'd nervously talk a blue streak about ham radio and the brothers would look at him like he had two headphones.

Of course, when I tried to explain that Alpha Chapter was Amateur, not Animal House, and that 21st century college life is not the Pleistocene he remembers, Dash! paid no attention. It's all YLs with Dragon Tattoos now, I told him. The Hallicrafters collecting craze peaked in the 90s. A few weak sister audio nerds get weepy over tubes, but modern geeks are full sprectrum. Oh they still like their ham radio, but as a spectral niche, roughtly five or six Angstroms wide. All this was, as usual lost on Dash! He would only admit that he might need to swap one of his guitars for a Uke, but he knew he'd fit right in, especially at a ham radio fraternity. Why, in mind's eye, he could aready see a gang of Gil's Little Big Head Hams in plus fours and argyle sweaters stringin' up end fed Zepps. In his mind's ear. he could hear Super Skyrider speakers in the windows , blaring Rudy Vallee crooning Betty Co-Ed. I always thought Dash! should get out of his head more, out the shack a little more still, but these paunchy Peter Pans, ya can't tell 'em a damn thing.

Oh yeah. There's also the small matter of picking up the BSEE Dash! chose not to pursue when he matriculated at University of New Hampshire. His decision to attend UNH was largely based on the school chosen by the majority of those seated at his Nashua High cafeteria table. And after five years at three high schools, the tiresome nature of math beyond geometry led him to the inescapble conclusion that pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature offered the distinct advantage of no pesky right answers, beyond the old dead stuff like grammar that nobody's red penciled since the 1950s.

Oops! Dontcha hate life-altering whims?

They often lead desperate hams to do desperate things.

Chapter One, Dash!2 Alpha Chapter, www.dashtoons.com (http://www.dashtoons.com). Just when you thought we were kidding.

Jeff K1NSS
03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
http://youtu.be/brq2MBipl7g

N8YX
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I am going to have to re-read this after becoming thoroughly fit-shased. :clap: :yes:

WØTKX
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Jeebus Jeff... you're like a nerdy Hunter S. Thompson without the swear words. :snicker:

Jeff K1NSS
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Jeebus Jeff... you're like a nerdy Hunter S. Thompson without the swear words. :snicker:
Loose talk like that makes my heart feel like an alligator. tnx

NQ6U
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Or the drugs.

"We were somewhere east of Barstow when the RF kicked in..."

WØTKX
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't recommend hard EMF and sparkgap to everyone, but it works for me. ;)

Jeff K1NSS
03-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Or the drugs.

"We were somewhere east of Barstow when the RF kicked in..."
Don't eat the Ohmite Brown Devils.

Jeff K1NSS
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend hard EMF and sparkgap to everyone, but it works for me. ;)
BTW, great DF skier...der Kleinschmit Hellschriber Telemarkenfunken by any chance?

WØTKX
03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Oh, Hell. ;)

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/hell-kf108.jpg

ki4itv
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Don't eat the Ohmite Brown Devils.

Never. I usually just shave haphazardly, and use the small paper squares to help stop the bleeding.
Then head for the orange juice.

Jeff K1NSS
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh, Hell. ;)

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/hell-kf108.jpg
Is that the Double Ultra Secret Machine, Der EnigBerliner, the one the Nazis use to decode Enigma? Pretty neat BTW.

K7SGJ
03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Is that the Double Ultra Secret Machine, Der EnigBerliner, the one the Nazis use to decode Enigma? Pretty neat BTW.

Enigma machine? Damn, and all this time I thought their secret weapon in the subs was the enema machine. It made sense with the all the salt water. Really. No shit

WØTKX
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I've had about a dozen Hellschreiber QSO's. It works pretty good!

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/hellschreiber-history.htm

Jeff K1NSS
03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Enigma machine? Damn, and all this time I thought their secret weapon in the subs was the enema machine. It made sense with the all the salt water. Really. No shit

Ya, Das Boot im Esel!

Jeff K1NSS
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Never. I usually just shave haphazardly, and use the small paper squares to help stop the bleeding.
Then head for the orange juice.

If you've got nothing nice to say let's set up a sked
:snicker:.

n2ize
03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Scream up the old oak tree... Down by the old mill stream. Where else ?

NQ6U
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I've had about a dozen Hellschreiber QSO's. It works pretty good!

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/hellschreiber-history.htm

It's rather charmingly archaic, too.

WØTKX
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
It's rather charmingly archaic, too.

Like RTTY and AM. Oh, and slope tuned FM on a regerative receiver. ;)

Jeff K1NSS
03-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Like RTTY and AM. Oh, and slope tuned FM on a regerative receiver. ;)

sloped tuned Fm...hmmm, like SUPERregen?

WØTKX
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I spelled regenerative wrong. :doh:

It doesn't have to be a super-regen, just turn down the feed back like you would when listening to AM. The bandpass is narrower however, and fidelity suffers.

kb2vxa
03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
"I am going to have to re-read this after becoming thoroughly fit-shased."
You're not the only one.

"Ya, Das Boot im Esel!"
The boat in donkey?

This goes beyond fit shased, well into sotally toned. I hope there's enough in here......

Jeff K1NSS
03-13-2012, 10:54 PM
You're not the only one.

"Ya, Das Boot im Esel!"
The boat in donkey?

This goes beyond fit shased, well into sotally toned. I hope there's enough in here......

Schuld Babel Fish

:rofl:

NA4BH
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
You're not the only one.

"Ya, Das Boot im Esel!"
The boat in donkey?

http://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5547&stc=1&d=1331696690

What do you mix that stuff with?

I'm thinkin' I want some.

kb2vxa
03-14-2012, 09:13 PM
2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine.

N7YA
03-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm....ok, Jeff. Add more boobs and explosions and ill sign it!

kb2vxa
03-17-2012, 11:18 PM
How 'bout 'splodin' boobs

N7YA
03-18-2012, 01:29 AM
:shock:........:vomit: