PDA

View Full Version : Symantec's smartphone honey stick project... results?

N2RJ
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
People are naturally dishonest...

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/about/presskits/b-symantec-smartphone-honey-stick-project.en-us.pdf?om_ext_cid=biz_socmed_twitter_facebook_mark etwire_linkedin_2012Mar_worldwide_honeystick

Yes, they returned the phone but they also snooped.

This is why I always passcode lock my phone.

W3WN
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, with all due respect...

If I came across a lost phone, the second thing I'd do would be to check the list of contacts, if available, and look for a notation like "home" or "Mom" or something like that, just so that I could let someone (even if it is a 3rd party) know where the device was, in hopes of returning it to it's proper owner.

That's assuming the first thing (checking the device itself for an indication of the owner) was unsucessful, of course.

W3WN
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
On a similar note... what would you do if you found a debit or credit card lying in the street?

This happened to us last year; we were just returning to the car after a Pirate game, and spotted a Visa card laying on the sidewalk. The bank that issued it was from out of state.

What would you do?

...what I did was call the bank's 800 number on the back of the card, fought the menu prompts until I got to a human being, and explained what I'd found. I was advised that they would note that the card had been found, deactivate it, and issue a new one to the owner. I was also advised to immediately destroy the card, to avoid it being used in the future (which would have been pointless since it was already deactivated). And that's just what I did; it went into a shredder.

NQ6U
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
RR Ron, and I did exactly that the one time I found someone's lost cell phone.

kf0rt
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, but what would you do if you found a $100 bill?

ki4itv
03-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Not everyone is dishonest Ryan.
I wouldn't snoop through anyone's phone other than to find some contact info.
Just have no desire to know...and certainly not enough to violate someones personal property.

Finding out that someone in my world automatically assumes distrust of others is usually a red flag for me. That person becomes suspect and treated accordingly until I find out if there is a specific reason for this default distrust.

ki4itv
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah, but what would you do if you found a $100 bill?

The cash obviously needs someone who can take better care of it.
slightly different.
Would return it if there was any indication of its origin...

kf0rt
03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
The cash obviously needs someone who can take better care of it.
slightly different.
Would return it if there was any indication of its origin...

Ditto here. Found a $20 many years ago and ended up keeping it. Lost a $20, too, never got it back.

Life is like that, ya' know...

ki4itv
03-13-2012, 04:23 AM
^^^fascinating how that works, isn't it. :yes:

KA9MOT
03-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I used a rest room at a truckstop in Joliet, IL one time and as I reached my truck which was parked several hundred yards away, I realized my billfold was not in my right rear pocket. It must have dropped out of my pocket while I was using the restroom. My billfold contained my fuel money for the week (more than $1000). I rushed back to the bathroom, and asked who ever was in the stall I'd vacated 10 minutes before if there was a billfold on the floor. He found nothing. In a panic I went to the fuel desk to see if anybody found my billfold. They knew nothing. I knew it was gone and I would have to replace the money, plus my CDL, Medical Card and who knows what else was in that billfold. As I took the slow walk to call my boss, another driver came rushing up and handed me my billfold. He'd been waiting for the stall I was in and had found it on the floor and was trying to find me.

This act of honesty and kindness reaffirmed my faith in humanity, even in a God forsaken place like Joliet/Chicago, IL.

KC2UGV
03-13-2012, 06:37 AM
I question this study (Not to say leaving a phone unlocked is a good idea). But this was a tiny sample (50 phones), and it boils down to: Location, location, location.

If they left these 50 phones, in say Buffalo, I'd hazard the results would be far different. In fact, if you leave them all in different neighborhoods, the results would vary.

Leave the phone Allentown? 49 of 50 would be returned (Maybe snooped into without malicious intent, but returned). Bailey-Filmore? 0 of 50 would be returned, 0 snooped into (They would be wiped within minutes of being found).

N2RJ
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I used a rest room at a truckstop in Joliet, IL one time and as I reached my truck which was parked several hundred yards away, I realized my billfold was not in my right rear pocket. It must have dropped out of my pocket while I was using the restroom. My billfold contained my fuel money for the week (more than $1000). I rushed back to the bathroom, and asked who ever was in the stall I'd vacated 10 minutes before if there was a billfold on the floor. He found nothing. In a panic I went to the fuel desk to see if anybody found my billfold. They knew nothing. I knew it was gone and I would have to replace the money, plus my CDL, Medical Card and who knows what else was in that billfold. As I took the slow walk to call my boss, another driver came rushing up and handed me my billfold. He'd been waiting for the stall I was in and had found it on the floor and was trying to find me.

This act of honesty and kindness reaffirmed my faith in humanity, even in a God forsaken place like Joliet/Chicago, IL.

Is there some sort of brotherhood or kinship among drivers, such as there is among firefighters? That would explain it.

KA9MOT
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Brotherhood? No way. A truck driver will cut another truck drivers head off over a $10 bill, or some disagreement on the CB, or a lot lizard. No brotherhood. A bunch of societies scum bags. Most truck drivers are people just trying to earn a living, but you just don't know who is who. Very few drivers will stop to help another driver. Ask them why and they will tell you, "That guy might have a gun" or "You don't know who that guy is". Bottom line is they are afraid of each other. Isn't that sad?

When I started in 1979 most people would tell you that the Trucker was the White Knight of the American Highway. Today, most people will tell you that Truckers are the scum of the earth. Hell most truck drivers today can't read. That is why you see them parked by that sign that says, "No Parking" or go check out one of New York's City's Toll bridges. Plenty of signs that say Cars only, yet once a week or so you'll see a big truck stuffed under one. Low Bridges too! They see a sign that reads, "Clearance 12'6" and they think, "Wow! Clarence is a mighty tall dude!".