kf0rt
03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Seen and appreciated...

http://westton.com/misc/dst.jpg

ad4mg
03-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Seen and appreciated...

http://westton.com/misc/dst.jpg

We're saving energy, and its for the children. The government always has our best interests in mind.

With that said (at a cost of great pain and angst), I hate the bi-annual time changes. Totally senseless.

W5IEI
03-11-2012, 08:30 AM
We're saving energy, and its for the children. The government always has our best interests in mind.

With that said (at a cost of great pain and angst), I hate the bi-annual time changes. Totally senseless.

Hey!
You gotta be reminded to change your smoke detector batteries somehow.
Yes?

kf0rt
03-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Every smoke detector I've ever owned lets you know when the battery is low. Usually in the middle of the night. :lol:

ad4mg
03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey!
You gotta be reminded to change your smoke detector batteries somehow.
Yes?

:rock:

Thanks for reminding me! My first clue was the pack of 9 volt batteries my wife left on the counter next to the coffee maker.

I'm tall enough to change the batteries in those things without a ladder, although I have to stand on my tippie-toes. Ladders that are lower to the ground than my knee-caps frighten me ...

ki4itv
03-11-2012, 09:04 AM

I'm tall enough to change the batteries in those things without a ladder, although I have to stand on my tippie-toes. Ladders that are lower to the ground than my knee-caps frighten me ...

If you guys ever stop by the house, remind me to hand you a crash helmet at the door, or you could wheel around in one of the wheelchairs...
hanging out in our kitchen could result in personal injury or death for anyone taller than 5'10".
As short people, we found all that empty space up there, around the ceiling, very convenient.:lol:

I must be one of the only people who appreciates the time changes... even though I've evolved into a morning person.

kf0rt
03-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Now, if some of the hours of wasted sunlight could be withdrawn from the beginning and added to the end of the day, how many advantages would be gained by all, and in particular by those who spend in the open air, when light permits them to do so, whatever time they have at their command after the duties of the day have been discharged.

Light is one of the great gifts of the Creator. While daylight surrounds us, cheerfulness reigns, anxieties press less heavily, and courage is bred for the struggle of life. Against our ever-besieging enemy, disease, light and fresh air act as guards in our defence, and when the conflict is close, supply us with most effective weapons with which to overcome the invader. Even the blind keenly realise the difference between daylight and darkness. They are always cheered by the former, but depressed by the latter.

From The Waste of Daylight (http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/willett.html) by William Willett (London, 1907).

I wanna see some cheerfulness, dammit!

ki4itv
03-11-2012, 09:19 AM
^^^Rut roh. Is the DEA on to this yet? They seem to have missed this mind altering agent altogether.

kf0rt
03-11-2012, 09:29 AM
^^^Rut roh. Is the DEA on to this yet? They seem to have missed this mind altering agent altogether.

Tax it or outlaw it -- those are the only choices!

W7XF
03-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks for reminding me! My first clue was the pack of 9 volt batteries my wife left on the counter next to the coffee maker.

You can always have Cor come over and do that for you, Luke :lol:

ad4mg
03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
You can always have Cor come over and do that for you, Luke :lol:

Seriously ... I could hide in his shadow! I'm only 6'-2" ... :-D

W7XF
03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Back on topic...seems that Arizona and Hawaii are onto something....both states told DST to take that swirling trip with the Ty-D-Bowl man xD

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Last time I was there, Indiana didn't do DST either.

W7XF
03-11-2012, 11:00 AM
They do now, Pope Carlo xD

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 11:04 AM
They do now, Pope Carlo xD

Okay, thanks Kevin. I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure.

KB3LAZ
03-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Seriously ... I could hide in his shadow! I'm only 6'-2" ... :-D

Still 3 inches taller than I am.

n2ize
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I like DST because during the DST months I save money on lamp oil. The fewer times I have to hitch the team and ride into town to get my lamp oil can filled at Jeb's General Store the more time I can spend at home.

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I like DST because during the DST months I save money on lamp oil. The fewer times I have to hitch the team and ride into town to get my lamp oil can filled at Jeb's General Store the more time I can spend at home.

Damned whale oil is getting expensive, too. And don't even get me started on the price of goose quill pens and parchment.

KB3LAZ
03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Damned whale oil is getting expensive, too. And don't even get me started on the price of goose quill pens and parchment.

Paper birch and squid farming.

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 11:49 AM
At this point in life, it's just "The Other Normal." I just assume stay on DST but people don't want their kids going to school in the dark ... (even though through the next 4 weeks they'll be going to school in the dark ... shhh, don't tell no one)

n2ize
03-11-2012, 01:06 PM

Not only that but have you priced pen ink lately ?? I am tempted to make my own ink the way my ancestors did, from lampblack and cow dung. If prices keep up like this we will no longer be able to afford to write, or read, or to light our homes be the days end. I won't even get into the prices of hay and feed.

n2ize
03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
At this point in life, it's just "The Other Normal." I just assume stay on DST but people don't want their kids going to school in the dark ... (even though through the next 4 weeks they'll be going to school in the dark ... shhh, don't tell no one)

I would like it better if we just did EST all year around. Let's face it. During the peak summer months the days are long enough to allow for many hours of light after typical working hours.. It matters little in the clocks say 8:00pm when darkness falls or 9:00pm. And during the winter it would make no difference because we are on EST anyway's. So, I think this switch over is just plumb stupid. It has no practical value. Only stupid value by making sure we manually move clocks ahead or back or that computers are properly set up to switch over at the right time Let's just switch to EST year round and be done with it. Or better yet, let's just use 24 hour GMT/UTC time world wide and be done with it.

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Not only that but have you priced pen ink lately ?? I am tempted to make my own ink the way my ancestors did, from lampblack and cow dung. If prices keep up like this we will no longer be able to afford to write, or read, or to light our homes be the days end. I won't even get into the prices of hay and feed.

The mailman's got a letter from John!
How can you tell? He's not even here yet.
We're downwind of the mailman's path!

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 01:21 PM

I'm seriously considering switching to clay tablets. I need to brush up a bit on my cuneiform first, though.

Now, where did put that damned Rosetta stone...?

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm seriously considering switching to clay tablets. I need to brush up a bit on my cuneiform first, though.

But what will be left for you to eat?

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 01:27 PM
But what will be left for you to eat?

The gravel I screen out of the clay before I make the tablets, of course. Who needs Cheerios and milk when they have gravel and creek water?

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Tell ya what. Grab that clay tablet, hold it over your head. run out yonder real fast, and yell PULL !!!!!

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Back on topic...seems that Arizona and Hawaii are onto something....both states told DST to take that swirling trip with the Ty-D-Bowl man xD

Actually, the Navaho Nation in Northern Arizona does/did observe DST. Not sure if they still do, but it makes sense when you refer to post #1.

kf0rt
03-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Actually, the Navaho Nation in Northern Arizona does/did observe DST. Not sure if they still do, but it makes sense when you refer to post #1.

I knew the rez was backwards from the rest of the state, but couldn't remember which way it went.

W7XF
03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes, they do, since the Navajo Nation encompasses pieces of 4 states. Makes it easier on them. But it's THEIR CALL. They have the ability to tell the USA and/or any state to go piss up a rope (as they have to Arizona and New Mexico Departments of Public Safety, and UHP and CSP...state troopers are NOT allowed on the Navajo Nation).

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes, they do, since the Navajo Nation encompasses pieces of 4 states. Makes it easier on them. But it's THEIR CALL. They have the ability to tell the USA and/or any state to go piss up a rope (as they have to Arizona and New Mexico Departments of Public Safety, and UHP and CSP...state troopers are NOT allowed on the Navajo Nation).

I know, and some of them probably wish they would. I was working a job in Chinle, AZ, and an Indian was stumbling down the street in some kind of altered state. (I assumed) Somone from the business called the reservation police, and a couple of huge, I mean HUGE cops rolled up in a beatup police type station wagon. These guys went over to the guy, spoke to him for a few minutes, then beat the living hell out of him; threw him in the back of the station wagon, and we never saw any of them the rest of the time we were in town.

N2RJ
03-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I changed all my smoke detectors last year (August). I'm going to change the batteries in the fall. Twice a year is a bit much. We have AC powered smoke detectors here (code requirement) and besides all 8 of them link up for more safety. The battery is only for backup purposes.

Time to abolish DST for good and make it permanent. I like daylight when I get home.

W2NAP
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
worst thing Indiana ever did was go with this DST shit. it was so much better when we stayed the same time all year round

n2ize
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
worst thing Indiana ever did was go with this DST shit. it was so much better when we stayed the same time all year round

Amen... Neither should have NY or any other state.

n2ize
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I changed all my smoke detectors last year (August). I'm going to change the batteries in the fall. Twice a year is a bit much. We have AC powered smoke detectors here (code requirement) and besides all 8 of them link up for more safety. The battery is only for backup purposes.

Time to abolish DST for good and make it permanent. I like daylight when I get home.

Which is a product of the tilt of the earth and the orbits not some artificial time schedule created by some lawmakers.Why not EST ?? You get ,more than enough hours of daylight after the typical workday in spring and summer. Matter of fact most summer days I find myself tired of daylight. Winter we're on EST anyway because if gives us some sun during the hours that work/school is scheduled to start in the morning. i don;t see what the issue is. Most modern day households are not using candles and oil lamps anymore.

Or better yet, lets just use UTC.

matter of fact I think I am just going to switch to UTC and avoid all this silliness from now on./

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Which is a product of the tilt of the earth and the orbits not some artificial time schedule created by some lawmakers.Why not EST ?? You get ,more than enough hours of daylight after the typical workday in spring and summer. Matter of fact most summer days I find myself tired of daylight. Winter we're on EST anyway because if gives us some sun during the hours that work/school is scheduled to start in the morning. i don;t see what the issue is. Most modern day households are not using candles and oil lamps anymore.

matter of fact I think I am just going to switch to UTC and avoid all this silliness from now on./No. Let's switch to metric time.
No. Let's use the Krebs Clock.

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 07:52 PM
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/lawrence/153/krebsbig.gif

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/31f9eb18.jpg

NA4BH
03-11-2012, 07:57 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/31f9eb18.jpg

I concur

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I concur

Same here. And to think I never knew that citric acid even had a cycle.

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Same here. And to think I never knew that citric acid even had a cycle.

Remember that school project clock that ran on oranges?

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 08:01 PM

You mean that Clockwork Orange? I thought that was a book/movie.

NA4BH
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
http://www.ilovewaterloo.com/images/stamp_giant/clockwork_orange_.jpg

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah, that's the ticket.

NQ6U
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM

When I was in school, clocks hadn't yet been invented. Oranges either, now that I think of it.

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
When I was in school, clocks hadn't yet been invented. Oranges either, now that I think of it.

We told time by holding our hands over a dung pile and determining the amount heat coming off of it. Big deal back then, the invention of dung. Before dung, we all pretty much ran around like animals.

K7SGJ
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
We told time by holding our hands over a dung pile and determining the amount heat coming off of it. Big deal back then, the invention of dung. Before dung, we all pretty much ran around like animals.

Damn. I always thought that dung was the past tense of ding. I've got to get out more.

n2ize
03-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I want double DST. I say lets set the clocks ahead 2 hours or maybe 3.

KG4CGC
03-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I want double DST. I say lets set the clocks ahead 2 hours or maybe 3.

For you, DST=Dung Savers Time ☺

XE1/N5AL
03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
DST doesn't start here until the first Sunday, in April. So, I still have three more weeks of living one hour in the past. It makes for some confusion when trying to phone back into the U.S.

NA4BH
03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
DST doesn't start here until the first Sunday, in April. So, I still have three more weeks of living one hour in the past. It makes for some confusion when trying to phone back into the U.S.

Where you at?

XE1/N5AL
03-11-2012, 11:57 PM
In Guadalajara, Mexico.

NA4BH
03-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Dayumm.

ETA:

She said whoa no Guadalahara won't do now
Well I did not think the girl could be so cruel
And I'm never going back to my old school

N2RJ
03-12-2012, 12:48 PM

matter of fact I think I am just going to switch to UTC and avoid all this silliness from now on./

DST is a roundabout way to shift the workday. Basically it fools employers to let you go an hour early (but you come to work an hour earlier), so you can enjoy more daylight when home, go to bed an hour earlier and use less energy in the process.

KG4CGC
03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
DST is a roundabout way to shift the workday. Basically it fools employers to let you go an hour early (but you come to work an hour earlier), so you can enjoy more daylight when home, go to bed an hour earlier and use less energy in the process.

Which would be a great plan if everyone was on 1st shift and we only worked 8 to 12 hours a day.

kf0rt
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Victory-Cigar-Congress-Passes-DST.jpeg/337px-Victory-Cigar-Congress-Passes-DST.jpeg

ki4itv
03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
What self respecting Ho needs a clock?
always been ready when I was....

kf0rt
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
What self respecting Ho needs a clock?
always been ready when I was....

Just wait till Fall. You'll get an extra hour. ;)

n2ize
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM

I pretty much burn the same amount of energy when I am home regardless of the level of sun outside. The same lamps and appliances run regardless. Ditto for workplaces. Now, if we were still using candles and oil lamps perhaps it would make a difference. Plus in the summer we don't really need the "extra hour of sun" after working hours because the days are already very long as is. If we want more light after work then we should have DST in the winter and EST in the summer.

Or, employers can do what one place I worked in did. On Fridays we started 8:00am instead of 9:00am and got out at 4:00pm instead of 5:00.

I think we should just use UTC and be done with all the nonsense.

N2RJ
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Which would be a great plan if everyone was on 1st shift and we only worked 8 to 12 hours a day.

One size does not fit all but it fits a lot of people.

K7SGJ
03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I've been saving the extra hour every year for most of my life. (I save them in an hour glass) I almost have three days saved up. WOOT

kf0rt
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
One size does not fit all but it fits a lot of people.

Interesting how that works. Commerce seems to be the key these days. Back in the old days, 7-11 opened at 7 and closed at 11.

kb2vxa
03-14-2012, 12:05 AM
"I've been saving the extra hour every year for most of my life."

I can save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is save every day 'til eternity passes away
I'm gonna live longer than you

I can make days last forever
And words can make wishes come true
I save every day like a treasure and then
Again, I live longer than you

Lazarus Long