PDA

View Full Version : Got the Slingshot Strap

n2ize
03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
The first phase of my long journey to restore the antenna has happened today. I got the new slingshot band in today and fixed the slingshot. Now I have to order some 10-15lb fishing line and some sinkers. The antenna will be a reality soon.

KA9MOT
03-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Cool! Where did you get your strap? I had to order my slingshot online because they are illegal here in Illinois. 1 month later I spotted the straps at Wal*Mart. Can't buy the slingshot but you can buy the strap. I bought 2 just in case.

Oh yeah, then the neighbors called the cops because they thought I was stealing cable.

w2amr
03-10-2012, 04:48 AM
The first phase of my long journey to restore the antenna has happened today. I got the new slingshot band in today and fixed the slingshot. Now I have to order some 10-15lb fishing line and some sinkers. The antenna will be a reality soon.Good luck, these projects can take years.:roll:

NQ6U
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Good luck, these projects can take years.:roll:

In the time John's been talking about doing this, I could have easily erected a 100' tower (the government of the Islets of Langerhans is easy on ham radio ops), including shipping time from the factory, the permitting process and digging the foundation hole.

ki4itv
03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Buy highly rated safety glasses next, John.
...and wear them. I've had some pretty close calls when the reel hangs up.

n2ize
03-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Good luck, these projects can take years.:roll:

Well George, these jobs take proper planning. That can take many years... Now I have to put the slingshot through extensive safety, reliability, and effectiveness training before I can approve it's use for the actual job. ;)

PA5COR
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't shoot your eyes out......;)

n2ize
03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Cool! Where did you get your strap? I had to order my slingshot online because they are illegal here in Illinois. 1 month later I spotted the straps at Wal*Mart. Can't buy the slingshot but you can buy the strap. I bought 2 just in case.

Oh yeah, then the neighbors called the cops because they thought I was stealing cable.

Even some online stores refuse to ship slingshots to certain states. For example "Slingshot World" cannot ship to Massachusettes or New Jersey and probably other nanny states as well.

In any event I got the replacement strap from these folks.

http://www.slingshotworld.com/

and this is the band I bought from them

http://www.slingshotworld.com/marksman_3330band.htm

Their service was fast. They ship out of Maryland. I had the band in 2-3 days. I recommend them

n2ize
03-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Don't shoot your eyes out......;)

I am only hoping I can get the string up high enough. I want to get it as close to the top of the tree as I can. At least >=65 feet. If the slingshot maneuver can't get enough altitude I'll have to settle for a lower antenna installation until I can get a bow and arrow up there.

n2ize
03-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Buy highly rated safety glasses next, John.
...and wear them. I've had some pretty close calls when the reel hangs up.

Thanks... good safety advice.

N1BHH
05-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I bought an EZ-Hang a few months ago to do antenna work here as this really screwed up state won't allow sling shot sales. If they had them at Wallyworld or the neighborhood gun shop I would have saved about 90 bucks. The EZ-Hang came with an extra band, too.

My experience, don't use those silly 1 ounce weights, first one I shot up into the tree is still there and won't come down. I used a 5 ounce that I have a few of and on the first shot got it over a 50 foot high limb. I detached the weight, attached my roll of yellow mason twine that I've had for quite a while and hauled that back over the branch with the fishing reel. Then used that twine to haul up my primary black rope and then my Off Center Fed Dipole. It's currently at 45 feet because of a lower branch that is in the way.

Having fun on HF all over again. We've had some wet and windy weather so haven't been able to shoot it higher because of that. And the leaves have come out really fast this year, too. I'm hoping to shoot it up over another branch about 70 feet up. The tree is really close to the house so it's almost a straight up and straight down shot.

KC2UGV
05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Surgical tubing + tennis ball + 15 lb fishing line + some sticks = Slingshot for antenna... :snicker:

K7SGJ
05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Boy, when I saw the name of the thread, I thought it was going to be another photo of MOT in his, well....you remember.

EYE BLEACH THATAWAY------------>>>

ki4itv
05-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Heck, when I saw the thread reappear, I just knew John had put his wire up and I had finally won this harrowing test of antenna erecting procrastination skill.
I'm becoming concerned about his tenacity, and I need to misplace a few parts for a while.:)

N1LAF
05-13-2012, 09:26 PM
This works...

$9.99

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1562782p275w.jpg

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1825852

KA9MOT
05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Boy, when I saw the name of the thread, I thought it was going to be another photo of MOT in his, well....you remember.

EYE BLEACH THATAWAY------------>>>

What photo? :rofl: :rofl:

W1GUH
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
The first phase of my long journey to restore the antenna has happened today. I got the new slingshot band in today and fixed the slingshot. Now I have to order some 10-15lb fishing line and some sinkers. The antenna will be a reality soon.

LIke I've offered before....I could have an all-set-to-go slingshot launcher up to you in Yonkers in about an hour. That's MORE than "reality [sic] soon." Could do it this afternoon.

AND that gives us the chance to get to know each other beyond lifeless, ordorless, tasteless bits, bytes and pixels -- an experience that is always very, very nice!

How 'bout it, John? You can have it on loan for as long as you want it.

Matter of fact, you'd be doing me a favor. It's been a while since I've had the car out & it needs to be used occasionally.

W1GUH
05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
BTW....the hanger I got at a hamfest was very simply but effectively built. It's a braced slingshot with a Zebco fishing reel attached with hose clamps. Haven't used it yet...looking forward to that. And there are other ways of making them that google-fu can turn up.

N2RJ
05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Slingshots illegal in NJ... I am forced to climb my trees to put up wire antennae.

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Illegal in Illinois too! That's why I had to go online to buy one. Wal*Mart sells the straps real cheap here though. Sometimes you just have to ignore the stupid laws

KG4CGC
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Fishing pole and heavy line all day long. Done.
Go out and practice in the yard or get your fishing permit and practice on the water.
You don't need a slingshot or specialized tools. A spinning reel, 8 or 9 foot rod, 2 to 3 oz sinker, 50 lb test and a steel leader.
If you're a real American, you should already have all these things. Are you, a real American?

NQ6U
05-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Go out and practice in the yard or get your fishing permit and practice on the water.
You don't need a slingshot or specialized tools. A spinning reel, 8 or 9 foot rod, 2 to 3 oz sinker, 50 lb test and a steel leader.
If you're a real American, you should already have all these things. Are you, a real American?

Just did this very thing to rehang my 40m dipole.

KG4CGC
05-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Just did this very thing to rehang my 40m dipole.

Then you my friend, are a REAL American!

KC2UGV
05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
You need to buy a special strap?

I question your amateur radio operator credentials, then good sirs!

Patch of cloth + 4 rivets + 8 ft of surgical tubing.

NQ6U
05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Then you my friend, are a REAL American!

In fact, I'm a liberal (formerly) pot-smoking hippie commie rat-bastard. But I still like fishing.

KG4CGC
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Doesn't it just make you swell up with pride, knowing that you're a real American and not some pansy commie coward?
Poke out that chest boy. You've earned it!

NQ6U
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Doesn't it just make you swell up with pride, knowing that you're a real American and not some pansy commie coward?
Poke out that chest boy. You've earned it!

Hmmmmm...

I'm using a Japanese-made spinning real. Does that count against my status as a Real American™?

KG4CGC
05-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Hmmmmm...

I'm using a Japanese-made spinning real. Does that count against my status as a Real American™?

Yer cathin' Merkin fish, ain't cha boy?

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 12:48 PM
You need to buy a special strap?

I question your amateur radio operator credentials, then good sirs!

Patch of cloth + 4 rivets + 8 ft of surgical tubing.

I'm just saying you are able to purchase the strap in Illinois but not the slingshot....... :rofl:

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM

That is how I used to do it when I wanted to loop it over the top of the tree. I prefer to shoot through the tree's canopy so I can use a large branch close to the trunk. It is hard to do that with a fishing pole. I've been a fisherman all of my life, but my aim just isn't good enough to shoot through the canopy. I only use a 3/4 oz weight though. Maybe I should try it with a larger weight.

KG4CGC
05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
That is how I used to do it when I wanted to loop it over the top of the tree. I prefer to shoot through the tree's canopy so I can use a large branch close to the trunk. It is hard to do that with a fishing pole. I've been a fisherman all of my life, but my aim just isn't good enough to shoot through the canopy. I only use a 3/4 oz weight though. Maybe I should try it with a larger weight.

2 to 3 oz weight. Arch high and let it chunk right down in the middle or spread your arch out a little and catch the top. Where it will sit varies by type and age of tree. Use common sense too. Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from falling branches. Use UV proof rope. Don't have stock plastic insulators? Get creative.

W1GUH
05-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Slingshots illegal in NJ... I am forced to climb my trees to put up wire antennae.

Last time I checked, the law was written so that they aren't illegal if you have a lawful explanation. Don't know, really, how that works out.

So go to the Wal-Mart just across the state line in PA and buy a slingshot, the cheapest spin-casting or maybe even spinning reel you can find, a package of weights from the fishing tackle display, and two hose clamps of the appropriate size (the slingshot you're carrying by that time will be a good guide for that). Won't cost very much money at all.

Then, in the parking lot, find a place to mount the reel on the slingshot with the host clamps, then mount it.

If the reel didn't come loaded with line, load it.

Tie one of the weights onto the end of the line.

Pack it up real nice so it's obvious it's a useful tool, not a toy. There's probably a stuff-sack in the Wal-Mart off the parking lot you're working in that will do nicely as a carrying case for your brand-new Antenna Erector. Viola!

KA9MOT
05-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I use 40# SpiderWire. Awesome stuff and you can pull the tree over with it. It can cut you though............

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Last time I checked, the law was written so that they aren't illegal if you have a lawful explanation. Don't know, really, how that works out.

Bows and arrows are not illegal here, and that seems to be a better alternative for many. I might invest in a good crossbow. No permit required and there are no "no discharge" laws here. Funny how they don't have a problem with the bow and arrow but have a cow over a slingshot.

In another club I used to belong to (Ramapo mtn ARC) they had one or two guys who were experts with a fishing pole. They were able to get the lead sinker up so high with just a fishing pole and casting reel. Field day was perhaps more entertaining watching them do that than actually operating.

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I use 40# SpiderWire. Awesome stuff and you can pull the tree over with it. It can cut you though............

Thanks! I looked at that, I may get some.

NY3V
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Be sure to wear one of these to protect your arm.

http://www.amazon.com/Neet-NY3V-Youth-Armguard-AP/dp/B003DQZV8Y :-D

W1GUH
06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Yea, it was comical when I went to find a slingshot. There I was amongst high-power rifles and ammo, hi-power bows and arrows with razor tips and all sorts of other "safe" stuff. And when the guy answered, when I asked about a slingshot, that "They're illegal" in New Jersey I almost burst out laughing. He told me they're illegal in NY, too.

Bow and Arrow vs. slingshot.

Used both. Didn't like using the bow near other houses -- too powerful; not to mention not recommended if it's been, like, decades since you last shot one. But...with judicious "creeping up on" how far to pull back for the job at hand, I finally got an arrow where I wanted it. But I was worried that a cop was gonna hassle me, or worse, all the time I was doing that.

Slingshot -- MUCH easier (without practice) and, IMHO, safer than the bow. I found it a LOT easier to aim -- got the sinker right where I wanted it the first time I used it. So the time spent outside using it is much shorter than with a bow (at least for a non-expert). YMMV (and looks like it does!)

BTW...the bow and arrows came from a hamfest!

Bows and arrows are not illegal here, and that seems to be a better alternative for many. I might invest in a good crossbow. No permit required and there are no "no discharge" laws here. Funny how they don't have a problem with the bow and arrow but have a cow over a slingshot.

In another club I used to belong to (Ramapo mtn ARC) they had one or two guys who were experts with a fishing pole. They were able to get the lead sinker up so high with just a fishing pole and casting reel. Field day was perhaps more entertaining watching them do that than actually operating.

WN9HJW
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Deleted

n2ize
08-29-2012, 03:15 AM
I never had much luck with a slingshot (I have an EZHang).

A couple weeks ago I had a tree service here doing some work. I watched one of the guys use a weight and rope to get a line up into the trees then pull up climbing ropes. He was getting lines up 60+ feet with little effort. Had a brief chat with him about what he was using, then ordered an Arborist Throw line Kit (http://wesspur.com/throw-line/throw-line-kits.html). Used it today to string a 20 meter dipole. Works great with a little practice.

What kind of heights are you achieving with that throwline ?

n2ize
08-29-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm just saying you are able to purchase the strap in Illinois but not the slingshot....... :rofl:

Once you have the strap the "slingshot" can be made quite easily. from spare workshop materials Wood, plastic, metal tubing or metal rod, sheet metal, etc. can all be used to fashion an effective slingshot. Matter of fact even the strap is pretty easy to make... surgical tubiny and a small piece of scrap leather. .

Oh and as far as the law goes remember, it is not a "slingshot". It's an "antenna installation tool". ;)

K7SGJ
08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
I never had much luck with a slingshot (I have an EZHang).

A couple weeks ago I had a tree service here doing some work. I watched one of the guys use a weight and rope to get a line up into the trees then pull up climbing ropes. He was getting lines up 60+ feet with little effort. Had a brief chat with him about what he was using, then ordered an Arborist Throw line Kit (http://wesspur.com/throw-line/throw-line-kits.html). Used it today to string a 20 meter dipole. Works great with a little practice.

I took a look at the site you linked, and couldn't believe the number of different kits available. I'd go nuts trying to decide which one to get. Their marketing department has certainly done it's job. It's the old "for just a few bucks more, you can move up to a little better unit". This is where I start out looking at a $40 unit, and end up with the $2000 upgraded deluxe unit. And it happens by going up $5 at a time. Of course, since my Palo Verde trees are only 20 feet max, a rock and some rope would do nicely, but at that height, the antenna would be useless.

KJ3N
08-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Of course, since my Palo Verde trees are only 20 feet max, a rock and some rope would do nicely, but at that height, the antenna would be useless.

Wouldn't be that bad for any dipole made for 17m and up. For 20m and lower, yeah, not so good.

WN9HJW
08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Deleted

WN9HJW
08-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Deleted

W9WLS
08-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Several years ago, I built a "air cannon", like a "potato gun" only work's on compressed air.
I sized the barrel at 1 1/2 " and used PVC (sked 80) for everything.
The barrel will accept a "GOLF BALL" with a little wadding quite nicely, with 80 pounds of air it will send a golf ball out of site.
Drilled several golf balls (a few "squirted"), attached braided line and can now hang a line in ANY tree.
Out here in the "sticks" none of the neighbors get at all excited about much of anything and since the cannon makes very little noise even the xyl doesn't know when I hang a wire,,,, guess there are some advantages to living in the country.

n2ize
09-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Several years ago, I built a "air cannon", like a "potato gun" only work's on compressed air.
I sized the barrel at 1 1/2 " and used PVC (sked 80) for everything.
The barrel will accept a "GOLF BALL" with a little wadding quite nicely, with 80 pounds of air it will send a golf ball out of site.
Drilled several golf balls (a few "squirted"), attached braided line and can now hang a line in ANY tree.
Out here in the "sticks" none of the neighbors get at all excited about much of anything and since the cannon makes very little noise even the xyl doesn't know when I hang a wire,,,, guess there are some advantages to living in the country.

Trouble with an urban area is that all the neighbors want to know "what is he doing".

AE1PT
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
First there was the slingshot. It was put together with about $25 worth of stuff from Walmart:

http://ae1pt.com/photos/imh/shot_parts.png

While this worked pretty well for 4 years and three slingshot bands--the best I could really do with it was about 50'. On a good day with no wind... :yuck:

This year I HAVE THE SOLUTION:

http://ae1pt.com/photos/imh/launcher.png

Now this is the real deal. 90' in the air? No problem.

Kits are available, and parts can be had for ~$100. It gets cheaper if several hams go in together and get enough stuff to make a half dozen or so.

WØTKX
09-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Yessir, I built myself one of those. Mine is better looking... its blue. :lol:

I also use a spearfishing reel instead. POP! Over 120' with 40 PSI. :yes:

KA9MOT
09-05-2012, 07:41 PM
First there was the slingshot. It was put together with about $25 worth of stuff from Walmart:

http://ae1pt.com/photos/imh/shot_parts.png

While this worked pretty well for 4 years and three slingshot bands--the best I could really do with it was about 50'. On a good day with no wind... :yuck:

This year I HAVE THE SOLUTION:

http://ae1pt.com/photos/imh/launcher.png

Now this is the real deal. 90' in the air? No problem.

Kits are available, and parts can be had for ~$100. It gets cheaper if several hams go in together and get enough stuff to make a half dozen or so.

Pat, what size PVC is the barrel? And do you have any information on the valve?

Thanks!

AE1PT
09-05-2012, 09:57 PM
It's 2.5" schedule 40. Here are the instructions on how to modify the sprinkler valve:

http://specialized-weapons.wonderhowto.com/how-to/modify-sprinkler-valve-for-pneumatic-cannon-210134/

One thing--don't use epoxy putty like this guy says. It will leak air slowly around the threads. Put a piece of tape on the underside of the hole, and fill the thing from the top with JB Weld epoxy.

If you want to string 3 9V batteries together, one can keep the solenoid and fire it electrically.

KA9MOT
09-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks Patrick! Just what I was looking for! People are selling these things for big bucks. I just want one I can use.

K7SGJ
09-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Yessir, I built myself one of those. Mine is better looking... its blue. :lol:

I also use a spearfishing reel instead. POP! Over 120' with 40 PSI. :yes:

Does it require blue balls?

W9WLS
09-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Trouble with an urban area is that all the neighbors want to know "what is he doing".

No John, not a problem with that here.
If anything, when doing an antenna project (or anything else out side for that mater) IF one of the neighbor's notices they are more likely to stop and ask if they can help.
We are more "RURAL" than urban here, nearest neighbor is about 75 yards away, and then the next closest is about 1/4 mile , out here we watch out for each other but don't get involved unless help is needed or asked for.
Even the mail carrier has stopped to help me haul a line up a tree a couple of times.
That's life on the country !

AE1PT
10-14-2012, 12:29 AM
A bit of update information! In looking for existing designs using the Saunders Zip reel (an archery spool), I ran across this article. It goes into great detail, and takes the reader to other primary sources of build info:

http://blog.kotarak.net/2011/04/say-hello-to-my-little-friend.html

WØTKX
10-14-2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.akbeng.com/

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html

These links are related. Lots of information. It's where I bought my kit. IIRC Saunders is the source of the reel I have on mine, through these folks linked above. Used their recommended higher pressure PVC cement, which is a two part process. The stuff cures to a light purple. While a little spendy, the kit was great. Included all the parts, and all the PVC was pre-cut.

Recommended. I hope to use mine today to get a 140' doublet up, after other chores. Here's a piccie...

https://lkoh9g.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pD3uDZKEnGJyu2JdrNyMSXjMCczPn4SETQNon7XO0UBnD8Vs HbKAOIXP9dAahxsJlLDD7rvZ0v5T9OYgre26RPS6GX1V0aI_4/Launcher.jpg?psid=1