PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Minus One Cup

n2ize
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Here's a wacko petition if I ever saw one. \the complain is that Starbucks uses too many coffee cups and that is hurting the earth man. Uh, excuse me...they are in the coffee business, how else are they going to serve it ? Hmmm, let me think about it. I got it ! Maybe they can serve the coffee without the cups ? They can just pour it into our hands and we can slurp it from our cupped hands ? Or maybe we can just put our mouth up to the coffee spigot on the urn and drink it direct from there ? Perhaps they can serve it to us in china cups ? They can charge $20.00 to $30.00 per cup.

http://www.moxyvote.com/TakeAction/Letter/join-green-america-in-telling-starbucks-to-create-a-sustainability-committee/?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moxyvote.com%2FTakeActio n%2FLetter%2Fjoin-green-america-in-telling-starbucks-to-create-a-sustainability-committee%2F&utm_campaign=Corp+Gov_3.5.2012_NL

KC2UGV
03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
They give you a $0.10/cup discount if you bring in your own mug. I think Starbucks (As much as I hate the WalMart of Coffee Houses) is already ahead of the curve.

K7SGJ
03-08-2012, 09:30 AM
They give you a $0.10/cup discount if you bring in your own mug. I think Starbucks (As much as I hate the WalMart of Coffee Houses) is already ahead of the curve.

Yep, I take my own mug everywhere for the refills. Always save a few $$, or at the minimum get 2x the java for the same price; sometimes both.

W3WN
03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Since when is that brew served by Starbucks coffee?

(I know they CALL it coffee, but that doesn't make it so)

n2ize
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Since when is that brew served by Starbucks coffee?

(I know they CALL it coffee, but that doesn't make it so)

Hah !! Very true.

ab1ga
03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
The letter asks only that Starbucks establish a group to investigate ways to waste less material. Beverage containers were not the only things mentioned, and bulk packaging is often a good place to make those savings. Cisco actually mentions on its Web site that it's multi-packs of some hardware items are sent in less wasteful packaging.

Not all Starbucks customers are "buy and flee" purchasers. One of our independent shops does in fact serve coffee in ceramic cups if requested by patrons who intend to stick around for a while.

Many patrons request their coffee be served in two nested cups in order to keep the coffee warmer longer, but also to prevent the cup from becoming uncomfortably hot. I do not know whether Starbucks does this, but it would be hard to turn a customer down if they ask for this. An alternative some vendors use is a small corrugated insulating sleeve, which presumably saves material and money.

n2ize
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM

I agree. Allowing people to bring their own cup is a good idea. Which makes me wonder, why are these environmentalists picking on Starbucks over the cup issue when they are already offering an alternative ? And, since they are in the coffee business they have to provide cups for the thousands of people who don;t bring their own cups. Essentially the petition is basically asking for Starbucks to go out of the business.

n2ize
03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
The letter asks only that Starbucks establish a group to investigate ways to waste less material. Beverage containers were not the only things mentioned, and bulk packaging is often a good place to make those savings. Cisco actually mentions on its Web site that it's multi-packs of some hardware items are sent in less wasteful packaging.

Not long ago I bought a new DVD RW drive from MEI Microcenter. I went to the store and asked for the particular drive I wanted. The guy went to a stack of bins and pulled out the one I wanted. No packaging other than a plastic bag. No box to throw away, no styrofoam, plastic, etc. I noticed that they are selling a lot of parts directly out of bins. I think that's a great idea. If I need a drive I need a drive. Not layers upon layers of packaging material that is just going to end up in the garbage and eventually burned or sitting in landfill.

kf0rt
03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
From the packaging hell archives, OTC medicine division:

http://kf0rt.westton.com/prilosec/prilosec.htm

WØTKX
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
StarBurnt. :vomit:

http://funny.ph/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/762/starbucks-sucks-coffee.jpg

kb2crk
03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Considering Starbucks uses paper cups and corrugated sleeves the enviro nut jobs should leave them alone. the cup and sleeve can be recycled and most likely have a decent recycled content to them to start with. They dont need to end up in landfills and therefore do not constitute a problem. If they are complaining about trees being cut down to make them well then they dont understand recycled paper or the fact that a lot of the forests cut down for paper production are tree farms.

XE1/N5AL
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
If that petition will save the life of just one young tree, it is worth it!

n2ize
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Considering Starbucks uses paper cups and corrugated sleeves the enviro nut jobs should leave them alone. the cup and sleeve can be recycled and most likely have a decent recycled content to them to start with. They dont need to end up in landfills and therefore do not constitute a problem. If they are complaining about trees being cut down to make them well then they dont understand recycled paper or the fact that a lot of the forests cut down for paper production are tree farms.

Very true. Unfortunately many good, well meaning environmentalists react first and think later, or forget to think at all. I have had some well meaning friends say to me, "we need to stop this, that or some other thing" and then I inform them that if we were to do what they are proposing we will have to do without electricity or transportation, or without vital medicines that people need, etc. Then they say , "o yeah", coming to the realization that simply changing something without a viable plan or alternate means will create major problems.

W3WN
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
< snip >
Which makes me wonder, why are these environmentalists picking on Starbucks over the cup issue when they are already offering an alternative ?
< snip >Oh, that's easy.

Since Starbucks is an international chain, they're an easy target.

If they protested against, say, the local Cafe Mocha chain, who outside of Pittsburgh would care? They'd have to mount protests in hundreds of communities if they went after all the local outfits, and they'd look like bullies. And media coverage would be hit-or-miss, with little likelihood of national (ie network) media coverage.

But Starbucks? The big mega-conglomorate? Minimal effort, maximum media exposure.

Reminds me of the Father's Day that the local PETA nut jobs protested outside of a popular & well known local restaurant, over the torture of calves raised for veal. It was a well known local place, and loads of local media coverage...

Only one TV station bothered to point out that the place being picketed didn't serve veal, never had. The place actually serving veal was a little family owned spot down the street, but the media wouldn't have bothered to cover the protest there.

K7SGJ
03-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I had to go to town this morning to take one of the dogs to the vet. On the way back, I passed a Starbucks. The environmentalists shouldn't be so concerned about some paper cups that most likely come from commercially grown trees, and will return to the earth as compost. They should be more concerned with the amount of fuel being consumed by all the vehicles in the drive up line; and being returned to the atmosphere with significant consequences. No less than 20 cars when I went by. Just fucking sitting there, idling. Now, here is a finite resource, being wasted by these lazy assed bastids that can't go inside. BULLSHIT I guess the lazy fat assed pukes haven't noticed that gas is near 3 bucks, and diesel over 4. The bastids.

KB3LAZ
03-08-2012, 04:01 PM
I wouldnt know anything about the company. I have had their coffee four times. Each time it tasted consistently burnt and chalky. I do not mind the price for a good cup of coffee but damn...gas station coffee is better and cheaper. Both kinds suck but...I live in BFE and if I am on the run I have to deal with Sheetz. Otherwise I brew my own.