PDA

View Full Version : alinco hand held

kk4fpx
03-04-2012, 07:01 PM
I picked up a alinco model dj-f1 at a hamfest.I was trying to set it up today.Everything worked ok except when I put in the 146.520 freq,when I pushed the ptt,it says "off".I thought that was only when you were out of the transmitting range.Anyone know whats wrong?

NQ6U
03-04-2012, 07:12 PM
The VFO on that unit can be field programmed top restrict the transmit frequency range. It's possible that the previous owner did, so try resetting it. The manual is available on Alinco's Web site (http://www.alinco.com/pdf.files/).

K7SGJ
03-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Make sure you're in simplex mode. If not, and it's set duplex at -600, you will be out of band on xmit. At that point the radio says nyet.

NQ6U
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Make sure you're in simplex mode. If not, and it's set duplex at -600, you will be out of band on xmit. At that point the radio says nyet.

Funny, I was just coming back to say the same thing. Good call, Ed.

kk4fpx
03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I've already printed the manual out.I did the factory reset before trying to add in my frequency's.The default is + 600,and the 146.52 does show a plus.I don't know how to make it go to simplex on that freq. without having to reset it everytime I need to use that freq.

K7SGJ
03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, your Eminence, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut, usually his own, but, what the hey?

NQ6U
03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
See page 22, "Setting Offset (Shift) Direction"

NQ6U
03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, your Eminence, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut, usually his own, but, what the hey?

You kidding me? Your own are always the best ones to find. You don't want to lose track of 'em, after all.

kk4fpx
03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I just read page 22.Not sure if I understand it,but as soon as I get it off the charger I'll see if I can get it on simplex for that freq. Thanks

N8YX
03-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Some of the amateur gear manuals are a mite confusing, even to those who write technical documentation for a living. Almost all VHF/UHF gear manufactured in the last 10 or so years has "default" repeater offsets (which are based on current band plans) programmed from the factory. If a prior owner changes these for any reason, restoring the defaults can occasionally result in a few uttered cursewords. The menus on some radios are NOT intuitive...and the poorly-written manuals don't help matters.

KG4CGC
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Like translating poorly spoken English, thus is the result of reading any manual out of China ... if it is indeed out of China. Chinese scooter manuals are the worst because they spend the least on using educated people in the writing field to translate to English.

KA9MOT
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
The manual for the Alinco DJ-F1T is easy enough to understand. I just gave away 2 of these Handhelds and accidently kept 1 manual.

Ed, take your time, read the instructions and do as they say while you are reading it. It is important that you learn how to program your radio by memory because you won't always have the manual with you. That is very easy radio to program.

You've already learned that the function key is above the PTT button. While in VFO mode (There will be a small "V" above a number...if you see an "M" then you are in Memory Mode....push the M/V Button) press and hold the Function key and press "1" until you do not see a "+" or "-". You will now be in simplex.

That rig will allow direct frequency entry via the keypad and I suggest you use it.

kk4fpx
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Well,I finally got it.it seems you have to enter the shift and direction before the final step in storing a frequency.

WØTKX
03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Yupper, they are almost all like that. My VX-5 and FT-857's for instance. Once in a while I've used some weird offsets in the simplex bands, messing with weak signal FM. Like when a buddy was in the hospital, and dealing with overload from other radios. And we wanted to stay off the repeaters.

Weak signal FM is kind of an oxymoron. :lol:

K7SGJ
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Yupper, they are almost all like that. My VX-5 and FT-857's for instance. Once in a while I've used some weird offsets in the simplex bands, messing with weak signal FM. Like when a buddy was in the hospital, and dealing with overload from other radios. And we wanted to stay off the repeaters.

Weak signal FM is kind of an oxymoron. :lol:

And here I thought that was Rush's nickname.

N8YX
03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
And here I thought that was Rush's nickname.

I'm afraid that moniker was reserved for the late Billy Mays.

K7SGJ
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Okay, I don't want to take anything away from blackbeard. We'll just leave Rush with moron, fucking moron. The bastid.

n2ize
03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Like translating poorly spoken English, thus is the result of reading any manual out of China ... if it is indeed out of China. Chinese scooter manuals are the worst because they spend the least on using educated people in the writing field to translate to English.

A lot of Chinese made products are written in Chinglish. Not long ago I bought an rc transmitter and it said, "factory program present to be ready for your fly".