PDA

View Full Version : A Tragic Loss.

n2ize
03-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Over the past 24-48 hours I lost 2 online acquaintances. Russ was one.

The other was a man named Fred Bortash whom I have chatted with on FB. I never knew him personally but a couple of my "radio friends" did. Fred was very interested in SWL'ing and was looking forward to going to the Winter SWL fest this year in PA where he was to have a booth dealing with Russian SW radio topics . It would have been his first Winter SWL-fest and he was really excited and looking forward to it. But he never made it. I was informed that while he was en-route to the SWL-fest he was killed in a fatal car accident. What a terrible misfortune.

N8YX
03-03-2012, 06:52 AM
That sucks, John. Very sorry to hear it. :(

PA5COR
03-03-2012, 09:29 AM
^ What he said.... hope you will get over it and remember the good times.

n2ize
03-03-2012, 11:26 AM
^ What he said.... hope you will get over it and remember the good times.

Well I didn't know Fred very well at all beyond the few times we spoke via Facebook. However, the few times we spoke he seemed like a very nice person and he was looking so much forward to the Winter SWL fest. The news was both shocking and saddening.

PA5COR
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Yep, know what you go through.
Lost 2 good long time friends ( hams) last year which i knew personally very well.
Seems my age is catching up, this year i'll turn 60 and i go to funerals more as marriages or any other more happy things to do.

One friend i named here was short for retiring, selling hs company and do what he wanted to do after years of sacrificing all his time in the company.
Sometimes you sit in your chair and life really sucks....

XE1/N5AL
03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
John,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope Fred can still make it to the Winter SWL fest, in spriit.

n2ize
03-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone. . It was so sudden and unanticipated. . I mean of all crazy things, a damned rotten car accident on the way to an event he was so looking forward to. I am sure he will be there in spirit and he will live on in the hearts and minds of all who knew him.