PDA

View Full Version : I DID IT, and I'M NOT SORRY

NA4BH
03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
After trying to resurrect a not too old PC to be used as a "whatever" system, and it fighting me the whole way. I said FSCK you PC, and I went and got a Mini-Mac. It took all of 5-10 minutes to get set up and using. There will be a little learning curve, I meant to say "deprogramming" from the Microsuck way of doing things. The graphics are a thousand times better and the computer itself could just about fit in my back pocket. I have it hooked up (HDMI) to a 55" TV, HOLY CRAP!!! Microsuck, you messed up, you should have given me a clean download of SP3 for XP.

And I upgraded the memory to 8GB. How simple was that, open the trapdoor and replace. Not one screwdriver was injured during the installation process.

NQ6U
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Back around 1990 not only did i do it, but I'm glad I did it and I'd do it again.

I cop to having an XP machine out in the shack, mostly for HRD, but everything else I do on a computer is done on a Mac. I've got four of 'em now.

K7SGJ
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRE

Way to go. Don't spend all your time with it. There are still other important things in life, too. Radio, cars, TV, books, walking, biking, pets, work, not work, fixing up the house, gardening, and stuff like that.

Oh yeah, there's the wife, too.

KJ3N
03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Microsuck, you messed up, you should have given me a clean download of SP3 for XP.

Exactly how does one not get a clean download of SP3 for XP (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24)? I've only done it dozens of times before.

Please explain. :dunno:

NA4BH
03-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Don't know why. New hard drive, fresh install of XP, done it dozens of times myself (different computers). Until now, there has never been a problem.

N1LAF
03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Wait until Windows 8 rolls out - I think we will see a mass migration away from Windows, fast.

N1LAF
03-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Back around 1990 not only did i do it, but I'm glad I did it and I'd do it again.

I cop to having an XP machine out in the shack, mostly for HRD, but everything I do on a computer is done on a Mac. I've got four of 'em now.

Don't feel bad or guilty, Carl, sometimes having Windows OS is a necessary evil, not all programs have Linux and MAC versions.

KC2UGV
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM

I cop to having an XP machine out in the shack, mostly for HRD, but everything I do on a computer is done on a Mac. I've got four of 'em now.

I thought HRD runs fine on Mac OS with WINE? You should give it a whirl. You might be able to divorce yourself from Winderz completely.

I know it runs without a hitch on Linux, so Mac OS isn't that much a stretch.

NQ6U
03-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I thought HRD runs fine on Mac OS with WINE? You should give it a whirl. You might be able to divorce yourself from Winderz completely.

Does it? Hmmm, never even thought of that. This here laptop is set up to dual boot Mac OS X and Ubuntu so maybe I'll give it a try—if it doesn't work on the Mac side, I can try it on Linux. It would sure solve the problem of how to run my PSK31 station this coming field day. I'm the only one in my club who's into the digital modes and it impressed the hell of them when I earned them 300 points in a single operating day last year.

W1GUH
03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh, my. Sounds like Xnix vs Windows is akin to NCT or CB!

Paul (facetious comment on your wording) - Ummmm How is going from Windows 7 (or any other version) to Windows 8 constitute "migrating away from Windows? Oh...now I get it, I think. You're saying Windows 8 is so bad that it'll drive people to Macs or Xnix?

W1GUH
03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Don't feel bad or guilty, Carl, sometimes having Windows OS is a necessary evil, not all programs have Linux and MAC versions.

For instance, MS Flight sim. This guy (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/2008/12/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-f.html) says he does it, but it takes a lot of system tweaks (and from his wording some aren't totally benign) to get it to run decently under boot camp, whatever that is.

BTW, my AW M17 is on its way!

KA9MOT
03-02-2012, 07:52 PM

How do we get it to do that? WINE? I tried ACLog3.0 under WINE and EWWWWWW....... LOL!

K7SGJ
03-02-2012, 07:59 PM
How do we get it to do that? WINE? I tried ACLog3.0 under WINE and EWWWWWW....... LOL!

Brother Carl doesn't use WINE, he uses whinny.

NA4BH
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Brother Carl doesn't use WINE, he uses whinny.

That made me LOL so much, I TEBOWED.

NQ6U
03-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Checked into WINE for OS X, it's too flaky to bother with right now so I installed WINE for Ubuntu, then downloaded HRD and installed it under WINE. The main HRD program launched fine but DM780 and HRD Log won't so that's out. No biggie, there are Linux alternatives, but I was hoping to be able to use the software I'm already familiar with rather than have to learn something new that I'll only use two days out of the year.

KC2UGV
03-02-2012, 11:11 PM

HamShackAir does it.... I don't know. I don't use HRD.

Checked into WINE for OS X, it's too flaky to bother with right now so I installed WINE for Ubuntu, then downloaded HRD and installed it under WINE. The main HRD program launched fine but DM780 and HRD Log won't so that's out. No biggie, there are Linux alternatives, but I was hoping to be able to use the software I'm already familiar with rather than have to learn something new that I'll only use two days out of the year.

If it's a big deal, look into HamShackAir. They have HRD installed, and it works fine there. I don't know what tweaks they did.

KA9MOT
03-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Do you mean ShackBoxAir?

KC2UGV
03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Do you mean ShackBoxAir?

Same thing. I'm drunk. goggie is sick :(

N1LAF
03-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Paul (facetious comment on your wording) - Ummmm How is going from Windows 7 (or any other version) to Windows 8 constitute "migrating away from Windows? Oh...now I get it, I think. You're saying Windows 8 is so bad that it'll drive people to Macs or Xnix?

Yes

kf0rt
03-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Windows users are used to skipping releases. Given the success of Windows 7, it won't matter much if Win 8 is a dud.

K7SGJ
03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Windows users are used to skipping releases. Given the success of Windows 7, it won't matter much if Win 8 is a dud.

So true. I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 3.11 soon.

N1LAF
03-03-2012, 09:12 AM

That is the trend. As far as Windows 7 success, the market is split on that. While multimedia users are happy with Windows 7, hard core users, business community, engineers, etc, are not. (more to do with program incompatibility issues)

NQ6U
03-03-2012, 01:30 PM
So true. I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 3.11 soon.

Funny, I was just thinking about changing from CP/M to DOS.

KB3LAZ
03-03-2012, 04:00 PM

<<< Gamer. Need my windows. Sure, I have got a few games to run on linux...but um...yeah that worked out so well I puked.

n2ize
03-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I pretty much gave up on Windows back in the days of Win 95. I really just jumped from DOS to Linux. Running Linux was a lot trickier in the old days. Fewer hardware drivers around so often you'd have to hack your own, or recruit an experienced kernel guru to hack a driver for you. Also, in the old days running "out of the box" kernels was not always efficient and would not support certain hardware. The kernel was more "monolithic" in those days so, adding features like support for a certain graphics card, or a sound card, etc. required a full reconfiguration and recompilation of the kernel. These days i haven't had to recompile a kernel in ages. Most precompiled kernels work fine right out of the box. In those days too there were few config tools. Most configs required hand editing the files.

Running Linux today is a breeze compared to the early days.

n6hcm
03-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Most precompiled kernels work fine right out of the box. . . .

Running Linux today is a breeze compared to the early days.

only reason to mess with the kernel is to make things smaller (to cut out support for stuff you don't need).

and Linux today (compared to UNIX and early Linux) is a cakewalk.