PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like buttermilk?

W1GUH
02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
I mean, to drink, right out of the carton?

I got a quart for cooking & thought I'd FINALLY taste it. I've heard lots of people rave about it. Well, it tastes to me just like it smells - like sour milk.

Great for cooking, but to drink? Is there a trick? Like if I cultivate a taste I'll like it?

NA4BH
02-28-2012, 11:09 PM
You left off one step, you should have had a cat nearby. After you drink the buttermilk, you raise the cats tail up and lick. This improves the taste 100%.

W1GUH
02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm SURE it would!

It's good for seasickness, tho'...tastes the same goin' down and comin' up!

KG4CGC
02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Haven't had it in a long time. Liked it as a kid.

K7SGJ
02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Like you, I can't even begin to drink it, but it's great for cooking. My wife used it in something she made, and it was bad news. I don't remember what it was, but even she couldn't eat it.

WØTKX
02-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Love of buttermilk is a topic on The Geezer Net. True story.

K7SGJ
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I mean, to drink, right out of the carton?

I got a quart for cooking & thought I'd FINALLY taste it. I've heard lots of people rave about it. Well, it tastes to me just like it smells - like sour milk.

Great for cooking, but to drink? Is there a trick? Like if I cultivate a taste I'll like it?

Love of buttermilk is a topic on The Geezer Net. True story.

I never NEVER talk about, well, you know.

KC2UGV
02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I love buttermilk... Which reminds me: I should get a quart :)

n2ize
02-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I like it. It's tastes a lot like plain yogurt. Some like it, some don't. Actually home made buttermilk tastes a lot better (to me) than most of the stuff sold in the cartons.

n2ize
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
There are also many different kinds of buttermilk. There is the original kind that was produced from making butter, hence the name "butter milk". But that is not the stuff as the one that comes in the cartons nowadays. Different parts of the world have different varieties depending on the types of bacteria that are present during the fermentation of the milk. Yeah, buttermilk is basically produced by bacteria on milk. So is yogurt, cheese, etc.

K7SGJ
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
There are also many different kinds of buttermilk. There is the original kind that was produced from making butter, hence the name "butter milk". But that is not the stuff as the one that comes in the cartons nowadays. Different parts of the world have different varieties depending on the types of bacteria that are present during the fermentation of the milk. Yeah, buttermilk is basically produced by bacteria on milk. So is yogurt, cheese, etc.

And so is lactose intolerance.

W5GA
03-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I can't imagine why people spend money on something that should be poured down the drain.

K7SGJ
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
I can't imagine why people spend money on something that should be poured down the drain.

Well, it IS good for us septic tank owners, after all, it does enhance bacterial growth.

n2ize
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Because not everyone likes the same things.. Man has used bacteria to process and preserve foods for centuries. If you really think about it most cheeses, certain soups, butter, yogurt, and other goods should be rejected because they are processed via bacterial fermentation, molds, etc. Yet some of the finest tastes arise among there bacterially processed goods.

And, when you think about it virtually all foods we eat are bacterially processed via digestion. Certain bacerially processed foods like yogurt can actually aid digestion

Without bacteria we all die.

In the immortal words of the Professor from Gilligans island... "If they die...We die".

kb2vxa
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Put that down Skippy, it's mucous forming.

W5GA
03-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Well, it IS good for us septic tank owners, after all, it does enhance bacterial growth.
So does yeast.

kb2vxa
03-04-2012, 12:01 AM
A yeast infection?

NA4BH
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
A yeast infection?

Isn't that where they serve bread at the "Y"?

KG4CGC
03-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Isn't that where they serve bread at the "Y"?

Something something, old Quincy's commercial with a Big Fat Yeast roll.

W1GUH
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Mmmmmm...whip cream!

kb2vxa
03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
And don't forget the cheese!

suddenseer
03-06-2012, 09:30 AM
There are also many different kinds of buttermilk. There is the original kind that was produced from making butter, hence the name "butter milk". But that is not the stuff as the one that comes in the cartons nowadays. Different parts of the world have different varieties depending on the types of bacteria that are present during the fermentation of the milk. Yeah, buttermilk is basically produced by bacteria on milk. So is yogurt, cheese, etc.You presented the best reason to avoid all milk products. Cow's milk in nature is intended to make baby cows become big cows. maybe the way the 'industry' has made an organic product a poison. I took the vegan challenge last year, stop eating animal products for 30 days, one would not believe how better one feels. I do miss the taste of cheese but my body does not.

WØTKX
03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Go with sheep or goat cheese.