PDA

View Full Version : Another Italian cruiseship in trouble

PA5COR
02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
An Italian cruise ship with more than 1,000 people on board is without power in the Indian Ocean following a fire. The Costa Allegra is adrift more than 200 miles southwest of the Seychelles, near Alphonse Island.

The ship is from the same fleet as the Costa Concordia, which capsized off the Italian coast in January, killing 32.
Costa Cruises said in a statement that the fire broke out in the electric generators' room.

It did not spread and there were no injuries or casualties. Inspections of the state of the engine room are on-going, the company says. Tugs and "other naval and aerial units" will reach the ship, which has sent out a distress signal, Costa Cruises says.

Commander Cosimo Nicastro of the Italian coast guard told the BBC that it took the crew a few hours to extinguish the fire. Although the ship is in the middle of the Indian Ocean, there are no problems for the passengers, he said The Seychelles' maritime authority is sending a ship, power boats and aircraft to the Costa Allegra because she cannot move. They probably need to tow the ship to a Seychelles port, he said.

There are 636 passengers and 413 crew on board the Costa Allegra, which left Madagascar on Saturday. It was due to arrive in the Seychelles on Tuesday. The Costa Concordia ran aground off the Italian island of Giglio on 13 January. The Concordia's captain, Francesco Schettino, has been accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all those aboard were evacuated. He denies any wrongdoing.

N8YX
02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
IB4TP (In Before The Pirates)...

KC2UGV
02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
But, the real question is: Did the Maritime Mobile Net save the day?

n2ize
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Sounds like proper procedures were followed and it's just a matter of transferring passengers. Not much different than commonplace mishaps that happen on trains here. But it may majke people think twice about traveling on cruise ships , especially Italian run cruise ships, for a while.

As far as the captain of the other ship being accused of manslaughter I think that's wrong.

N8YX
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Probably not, but they've declared 14.300 an 'emergency frequency' "just in case".

KG4CGC
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Lack of proper maintenance?
It's coming.

Wait for it.

I promise.

I can see it on the horizon.

Fix It Again Tony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AE9SgnELIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AE9SgnELIc

NQ6U
02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Lack of proper maintenance?
It's coming.

Wait for it.

I promise.

I can see it on the horizon.

Fix It Again Tony.

Yeah, but it will be a real hoot to drive until it breaks down.

KG4CGC
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but it will be a real hoot to drive until it breaks down.
Aren't they built by Ford or Mazda now?

NQ6U
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Aren't they built by Ford or Mazda now?

Nope, FIAT now owns Chrysler.

W3WN
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
IB4TP (In Before The Pirates)...They're busy in Bradenton. They don't have time right now to deal with a cruise ship.

KG4CGC
02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Nope, FIAT now owns Chrysler.

So ... they're being made at the old Neon plant?

NQ6U
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
So ... they're being made at the old Neon plant?

Apparently made in Mexico. Interestingly, the current model 500 was designed by the same guy who created the modern Mini for BMW. I wasn't aware of that until I went looking to find out where they are built.

K7SGJ
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM

I understand that emergency sail mail is being handled by chuckles. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

VE7DCW
02-27-2012, 10:02 PM

This would've been a perfect job for Baxter and his jump teams! :rofl:

ad4mg
02-28-2012, 04:45 AM
An Italian cruise ship with more than 1,000 people on board is without power in the Indian Ocean following a fire. The Costa Allegra is adrift more than 200 miles southwest of the Seychelles, near Alphonse Island.
It's OK, I hear they were Winlink equipped ...

XE1/N5AL
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
This would've been a perfect job for Baxter and his jump teams! :rofl:Since it is an Italian ship, perhaps Nino could help out on 14.195.

kb2vxa
02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
"If a Ham does not have the courage to risk something for the values he believes in, either those values are very little worthy or that Ham is very little worthy."
- Nino/IT9RYH -

W7XF
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM
No.... knowing their luck, Køøky Karøl would have answered.