PDA

View Full Version : boneheads

W2NAP
02-26-2012, 03:58 PM
So im sitting here on 20m iceland station on. id like to work him but what so I hear?

several fuckheads calling calling and calling right on top of him.

seriously how in the fuck are you going to know the dude is calling you, if you sit for god knows how long saying your call over and over and over when he is keyed up?

damn fuckwits

PA5COR
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Meh, sh*t happens, come live here where there ar a gazillion idiots on the bands, i bet your bloodpressure will rise substantially...

KC9ECI
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Most of the things wrong with ham radio could be fixed with a well aimed brick to the occasional forehead.

W2NAP
02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Meh, sh*t happens, come live here where there ar a gazillion idiots on the bands, i bet your bloodpressure will rise substantially...

lol, yea its a pain in the ass.

gets even better you hear the guy w3 only and you hear w1's w2's w4's start repeating calls over and over

K7SGJ
02-26-2012, 06:14 PM
This kind of behavior is relly bullshit; and that's why I don't chase much DX. I like to ragchew with DX, as well as domestic stations, but if there is a pile up, I'm otta there. I don't need the aggrevation for a 10 second QSO. There are far too many other INTERESTING things in my life to really piss me off.

kf0rt
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
This kind of behavior is relly bullshit; and that's why I don't chase much DX. I like to ragchew with DX, as well as domestic stations, but if there is a pile up, I'm otta there. I don't need the aggrevation for a 10 second QSO. There are far too many other INTERESTING things in my life to really piss me off.

That's the spirit! :lol:

W2NAP
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM

tell me about it.

KJ3N
02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
This kind of behavior is relly bullshit; and that's why I don't chase much DX. I like to ragchew with DX, as well as domestic stations, but if there is a pile up, I'm otta there. I don't need the aggrevation for a 10 second QSO.

Then I take it you don't contest much, either? :lol:

Pile-ups don't bother me. I find them amusing at times. It's entertaining to listen to some of these morans trying (badly) to work DX, when it's obvious they have no clue what they're doing.

W2NAP
02-27-2012, 01:10 AM

Pile-ups don't bother me. I find them amusing at times. It's entertaining to listen to some of these morans trying (badly) to work DX, when it's obvious they have no clue what they're doing.

today was just.... bad. obvious poor ops were obvious today

n2ize
02-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Part of the reason I don't bother with contesting. I prefer just to find a quiet frequency and call cq on a non-contest days and see what happens. Mind, I have absolutely nothing against contesting and I am not one to rant over it. If that is what people enjoy then its fine with me. But yeah, sometimes those pileups are unreal and you have to wonder how they expect to be acknowledged if they never let up on the key.

K7SGJ
02-27-2012, 07:19 AM

No. I never really got into contesting, but contest weekends have never bothered me. There is lots of room on the bands, plus my ever growing shit-to-do list limits my air time, anyway. That's the nice thing about the hobby, there's something for everyone. Sometimes, if I don't have a lot of time to talk, I'll make a few contacts and pass out the required info to give a few points to others, but I never "go for the gold". Funny thing, even after that little bit of contest participation, I get a burning desire to take a shower, almost like going to a hamfest. Go figure. :chin:

PA5COR
02-27-2012, 07:26 AM
I listen 99.99% of the time, only if i want i have a QSO prefferably a longer one exchanging some more as just call S report etc.
Europe has in a radius of 100 miles about 50 countries and I hate to say it, but lots of crocodiles, big mouths - read amps- and very small ears... or just bad operators the ME ME ME kind.

No contester here, just the odd nice long QSO and learning the man/woman behind the station and maybe learn something or have a good time.
After 35 years i have nothing to prove anymore.

kb2vxa
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM
(giggling) Back in my CB daze we called them alligators, all mouth and no ears. Interestingly enough this seems to be an HF phenomenon, never heard nonsense like that on 6M or lower when the band(s) were open. DX doesn't come easy though, but then there was only one I missed, couldn't bust the enormous dog pile on Morocco.

Speaking of crocodiles, have you ever seen one on rails?

PA5COR
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
First one on rails, but then i'm never too old to learn ;)
Having 50+ countries in a 1000 mile zone with also 50+ languages with people that won't use English and keep talking their mother language like french italian can be a testing time.

160 meters still is quite good between the contests ;)

kb2vxa
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
That krokodil is a historic Swiss locomotive, they were built between 1919 and 1927. SBB has quite a collection of various oldies and brings them out once in a while.

<giggles> All things considered around here you don't need radio to hear a dozen different languages with one common phrase; no spika de inglee. Every once in a while one puts my fractured espanee to the test but lucky me, I can say I don't speak in several languages. (;->)

Ah yes, top band. In NJ Phil K2PG has a mic to antenna 1KW AM broadcast station with the only exception being the R-390 receiver. Out of three transmitters I had the pleasure of operating the Collins 20-V with 4 4-400s glowing prettily, nice to have an S9+ clear channel signal blanketing North America and the Caribbean. The antenna being a grounded vertical folded unipole (half a folded dipole with the near end fed and far end grounded) that low vertical takeoff angle is a screamer. Another way of putting it is a half wave vertical only 60 feet (18m) high.

PA5COR
02-29-2012, 04:37 AM
I'll have to do with the inverted L 77 feet high and 77 feet to the side and the 3300 feet counterpoise all in the city...
Max 1000 watts from the Heathkit SB-1000, getting out is not the problem, reception is, so i use some other recieve aantenna's ( EWE ) to do just that.
Cndx sucked this winter, just worked Canada once, last year a gaggle of US stations, Canada etc all out to 6000 miles.
All Phone, and yes CW would have been lots easier, but why go easier as when you can make it more difficult for yourself ;)

Need to do some major antenna work this spring/summer and getting 60 years old it doesn't go as easy as before on a slanted roof ;)
Bringing back the antenna's to a configuration for H.F Inverted L and the lengthened OCF and remove the directional beams for 2 and 70, keeping the 5 element 6 meter beam, and a vertical antenna for 2/70.
And the Imax 2000 for 17-10 meters.

W2NAP
02-29-2012, 04:54 AM
IM going to try and get a 80-10 trap dipole up soon...

hopefully it will stay up once it goes up...

n2ize
02-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Ah yes, top band. In NJ Phil K2PG has a mic to antenna 1KW AM broadcast station with the only exception being the R-390 receiver. Out of three transmitters I had the pleasure of operating the Collins 20-V with 4 4-400s glowing prettily, nice to have an S9+ clear channel signal blanketing North America and the Caribbean. The antenna being a grounded vertical folded unipole (half a folded dipole with the near end fed and far end grounded) that low vertical takeoff angle is a screamer. Another way of putting it is a half wave vertical only 60 feet (18m) high.

About a decade ago Phil / K2PG was working on that bcast transmitter and I furnished him with some glass enclosed time delay relays that he needed for the project and that I just happened to have laying around here. Actually I got them many years before at a hamfest where some guy was selling them as vacuum tubes. Well they look a lot like tubes so I guess he figures they were tubes. At the time Phil had a small website which is where I first learned of Centralia PA.

W7XF
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Contests??? Bleh.

kb2vxa
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
"About a decade ago Phil / K2PG was working on that bcast transmitter and I furnished him with some glass enclosed time delay relays that he needed for the project and that I just happened to have laying around here."

Was that the Collins 20-V2 or the Gates BC-1T? The Collins 20-V was already fully operational and the only one there when I was around, then Jim W2RXR and I helped him lug the 20-V2 down from Woonsocket, RI and things really started happening. Then there's that 10KW beast in McIlhenny... uh, Schicklgruber... er, somewhere near Scranton, PA. Yup, I know those thermal delay relays that look like tubes, if you don't know what a tube looks like. Centralia, PA... once a town, now the entrance to Hell. Small web site? Look again, like Topsy said; I growed.

Yeah bleh. WARC bands are for weekends.

n2ize
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
"About a decade ago Phil / K2PG was working on that bcast transmitter and I furnished him with some glass enclosed time delay relays that he needed for the project and that I just happened to have laying around here."

Was that the Collins 20-V2 or the Gates BC-1T? The Collins 20-V was already fully operational and the only one there when I was around, then Jim W2RXR and I helped him lug the 20-V2 down from Woonsocket, RI and things really started happening. Then there's that 10KW beast in McIlhenny... uh, Schicklgruber... er, somewhere near Scranton, PA. Yup, I know those thermal delay relays that look like tubes, if you don't know what a tube looks like. Centralia, PA... once a town, now the entrance to Hell. Small web site? Look again, like Topsy said; I growed.

Yeah bleh. WARC bands are for weekends.

Phil had a small website with some links to pictures of Centralia. I think he was curious if anyone be impressed with Centralia real estate .

Not sure which transmitter he was working on at the time. He never specified the transmitter. I told him what relays I had and the voltage and time delay and he said they would be fine. So I shipped them off to him. He sent me a check for payment but I don;t think I ever cashed it. For me it was the cause of keeping a good old AM transmitter alive and kicking that mattered. Hmmmm... nowadays I probably would have cashed it... :twisted:

I think I still have several of those thermal delay relays laying around here. Some are 6 and 12 volts , others 115 volts (heaters). I remember buying a lot of them at that hamfester. I paid about a buck a piece and about 25 cents a piece for some brand new 807's. Heck, cheaper than the drinkable 807's.

kb2vxa
03-01-2012, 10:55 PM
"I think he was curious if anyone be impressed with Centralia real estate."
I was, laughed 'till my ass fell off! If nothing else he has a WICKED sense of humor, it was a parody of the Florida swamp land TV sales we remember so well. I've never been there but remember the underground fire just outside Shamokin and know just what hell fire and brimstone is.

A quarter for an 807? NOS you mean, if they were that cheap new I wouldn't have used tested 6BG6 pulls scrounged from the garbage bin behind the downtown TV shop. Eh, same tube, octal base. Only one problem, you can't drink a cold 6BG6.

Ah cash the check, they don't expire... and this is the final compartment of a HAM rig???