PDA

View Full Version : My ICOM 7000 installed

W9JAM
02-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Well, I bit the bullet, the bank account, I'm sure feels like it was shot with one, and I am now the owner of an IC-7000. Let me know what you guys think of where I mounted the face.

I have the remote mic and also, that wrapper is actually from the Corn Dog's I had earlier that day LOL... No drugs for me.... I don't even drink.... god i'm boring LMAO

WV6Z
02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Nice control head install Jeremiah.......so what antenna system did you go with? Do you have any install pics of it? Have any grounding or noise issues in the tractor?

KK4AMI
02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Do Diesels have much in the way of noise issues? I am interested in what antenna you are going with. I'm mounting an Alinco DX-70 in my pick up. I want to cover 10-80 meters on one antenna and 6 meters on the other. I was thinking a standard whip on the roof for 6 meters and maybe a light almost invisible Chameleon 2L on a stake bed mount in the rear.

N8YX
02-26-2012, 12:32 PM
As long as you can safely operate the radio while motoring, that location looks good. A few 7000 owners (N2RJ comes to mind) have piped the display output to their car's GPS/MP3 player display. If I ever buy a vehicle with such I'm seriously considering it, else I'll go with a TS-B2000 and remote head.

kb2vxa
02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Looks good to me... but too close to see the REST of the whack-pack. (;->) Then something nobody else noticed, must be the cop in me... hmmm.

W5IEI
02-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Do Diesels have much in the way of noise issues? I am interested in what antenna you are going with. I'm mounting an Alinco DX-70 in my pick up. I want to cover 10-80 meters on one antenna and 6 meters on the other. I was thinking a standard whip on the roof for 6 meters and maybe a light almost invisible Chameleon 2L on a stake bed mount in the rear.

I run the little Tarheel 2 along with an Icom 7000 mobile.
I'm not interested in VHF/UHF the little Tarheel covers 80-6.
Mike

KA9MOT
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Lots of noise....mostly computer, injectors and alternator. Snap on Ferrites sometimes fix the injector noise. Grounding can fix the computer noise. Alternator noise can cause you to pull your hair out.

W1GUH
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
That's a popular place to mount faceplates -- but there's a safer place to mount them. I use a suction cup mount on the windshield, like lots of people do with GPS & players, and all that. That way, the frequency display is MUCH closer to your line of vision & it only takes a very quick glance with the highway still in your peripheral vision to check where you are in the band. I'm kind of an evangelist about this -- highway safety being the NUMBER ONE consideration in any mobile installation. Was considering that kind of dash mount until I got the idea of a suction cup mount.

Add a remote control mic to eliminnate reaching over to fiddle with the controls & you've got what's got to be about the least distracting way to run mobile in motion -- don't have to take your eyes off the road & the control is in the palm of your hand.

Here's the panel of my '857 on my dashboard:

Easy, quick, and simple. & and can be instantly dis-mantled and hidden when necessary.

We're talking life and death safety here. IMHO, that trumps aesthetics.

Another thing I do is plug the radio audio into the car's sound system. You get PLENTY of GOOD sound & don't need another speaker.

KA9MOT
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Looks good to me... but too close to see the REST of the whack-pack. (;->) Then something nobody else noticed, must be the cop in me... hmmm.

Looks like snack bags..... My last year on the road, I had an Iowa State Cop pull me over for doing 73 in a 70. I knew that I must have pissed somebody off and they called me in as a drunk trucker on 911 because this guy popped the right door and jumped in the truck with me. The sudden assault on my territory (he's s'posed to stay outside), blew my mind enough that my perceived normal reaction went forgotten and I immediately went into pussy mode. While he had me digging through my scale and fuel receipts for comparison to my log Book, he was searching the truck. He even opened the refrigerator and cupboards in the bunk (Looking for drugs and alcohol I'm assuming). He missed my Insulin and Syringes, a major mistake on his part. I'd been back to driving for more than a year while using insulin. It could have been a major bust for him. Insulin use disqualifies a a driver of a Commercial Vehicle back then (I think you can get a waiver now). I was mighty happy to be placed out of service and pay that logbook fine.

BTW, I had left San Diego, CA with a load of tomatoes from Mexico and 29 hours later I was in Des Moines, 200 miles from home where I wanted to be. The truck was always faster going home.

Looks good Jeremiah! I've not seen that dash board...... what kind of truck is that?

KA9MOT
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
That's a popular place to mount faceplates -- but there's a safer place to mount them. I use a suction cup mount on the windshield, like lots of people do with GPS & players, and all that. That way, the frequency display is MUCH closer to your line of vision & it only takes a very quick glance with the highway still in your peripheral vision to check where you are in the band. I'm kind of an evangelist about this -- highway safety being the NUMBER ONE consideration in any mobile installation. Was considering that kind of dash mount until I got the idea of a suction cup mount.

I agree, keep it up high, in your line of sight. However, mounting anything to the windshield is Illegal in some states (Minnesota is a major pain about this).

Pictured is the mount I made using a 10 year old Garmin mount, some plastic cutting board, 4 screws and some Velcro. It worked wonderfully for years. When I get another mobile rig for the old Ford, I'll use it again!

5456 5457

K7SGJ
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Add a remote control mic to eliminate reaching over to fiddle with the controls & you've got what's got to be about the least distracting way to run mobile in motion -- don't have to take your eyes off the road & the control is in the palm of your hand.

Here's the panel of my '857 on my dashboard:

Easy, quick, and simple. & and can be instantly dis-mantled and hidden when necessary.

We're talking life and death safety here. IMHO, that trumps aesthetics.

Another thing I do is plug the radio audio into the car's sound system. You get PLENTY of GOOD sound & don't need another speaker.

Although it IS legal to use windshield mounts in AZ, it isn't prudent as in the summer it gets so hot the mount will fall of the glass. It would certainly eff up the control head, as well. I used some really good foam tape to mount the 857 control head to the dash where it is easy to access without diverting your eyes very far. The speaker is in a cup holder mount, and the mic is on the side of the console by my leg where it's out of the way, and yet easy to get to. I haven't had time to do a proper permanent antenna install, so I use a Larsen thru glass for 2m/440 and another 2m for the APRS. While not the most efficient antenna arrangement, it works quite well. For the low bands, I use a hitch mount ATAS 120. I haven't had any problems with it, but then I don't leave it on all the time, either. It is always with me should I need to use the low bands to save the world while mobile. Here is a quick shot of the control head. The led rocker switches below it are power control for the 857 and the other for the APRS rig. While not 100% ideal it does work well for me. It is quit possible this may prevent me from being a REAL HAM, but I'm not worried because I had to take the cw test to get a license way back when...............never mind, you know the drill.

W1GUH
02-27-2012, 11:31 AM
More resistance? Your control head is STILL too low for safety, way down there on the dash. That fraction of a second could make a difference, and anyway, why NOT be as safe as you can be, given the ease with which its achieved? So if suction cups don't work in your environment, or aren't legal, figure out another way to get it up higher. Head taking a beating from the sun? Doesn't seem to hold a candle to the safety issue, and besides, just take it down when you leave the car and put it in the shade. The difference between "up by the windshield" and "way down on the dash" is very significant. Do you have a remote mic? If not, then you've got your head buried down there while you're reaching over to fiddle with the controls. But...if safety isn't that important to you....well, don't drive near me, OK?

Needlless to say, this is a VERY important issue with me. Seen way too many tragedies because people took highway safety casually. Doesn't strike this old fart as a "YMMV" issue.

But then, given the number of drivers that follow WAY too closely, and who yak on their cell phones, I guess I'm in a very tiny majority of folks who are actually aware of how dangerous driving really is?

Although it IS legal to use windshield mounts in AZ, it isn't prudent as in the summer it gets so hot the mount will fall of the glass. It would certainly eff up the control head, as well. I used some really good foam tape to mount the 857 control head to the dash where it is easy to access without diverting your eyes very far. The speaker is in a cup holder mount, and the mic is on the side of the console by my leg where it's out of the way, and yet easy to get to. I haven't had time to do a proper permanent antenna install, so I use a Larsen thru glass for 2m/440 and another 2m for the APRS. While not the most efficient antenna arrangement, it works quite well. For the low bands, I use a hitch mount ATAS 120. I haven't had any problems with it, but then I don't leave it on all the time, either. It is always with me should I need to use the low bands to save the world while mobile. Here is a quick shot of the control head. The led rocker switches below it are power control for the 857 and the other for the APRS rig. While not 100% ideal it does work well for me. It is quit possible this may prevent me from being a REAL HAM, but I'm not worried because I had to take the cw test to get a license way back when...............never mind, you know the drill.

W1GUH
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Looks good! I might just "steal" that idea to get rid of the suction cup. Velcro is wonderful stuff. Got some "industrial strength" velcro from Staples. I'll say! Don't need to use much -- if you use too much it's almost impossible to pull off!

I agree, keep it up high, in your line of sight. However, mounting anything to the windshield is Illegal in some states (Minnesota is a major pain about this).

Pictured is the mount I made using a 10 year old Garmin mount, some plastic cutting board, 4 screws and some Velcro. It worked wonderfully for years. When I get another mobile rig for the old Ford, I'll use it again!

5456 5457

KA9MOT
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
I have another one, same setup but used a piece of sheet metal bent into and angle that would slip under the edge of my headliner on my old Grand Caravan. The faceplate for the rig was between the rear view mirror and the headliner. Worked great and was legal.

K7SGJ
02-27-2012, 12:08 PM
More resistance? Your control head is STILL too low for safety, way down there on the dash. That fraction of a second could make a difference, and anyway, why NOT be as safe as you can be, given the ease with which its achieved? So if suction cups don't work in your environment, or aren't legal, figure out another way to get it up higher. Head taking a beating from the? Doesn't seem to hold a candle to the safety issue, and besides, just take it down when you leave the car and put it in the shade. The difference between "up by the windshield" and "way down on the dash" is very significant. Do you have a remote mic? If not, then you've got your head buried down there while you're reaching over to fiddle with the controls. But...if safety isn't that important to you....well, don't drive near me, OK?

Needlless to say, this is a VERY important issue with me. Seen way too many tragedies because people took highway safety casually. Doesn't strike this old fart as a "YMMV" issue.

But then, given the number of drivers that follow WAY too closely, and who yak on their cell phones, I guess I'm in a very tiny majority of folks who are actually aware of how dangerous driving really is?

Well, I guess I'm not into talking on the radio while driving as much as you are. This setup has worked well for me for quite some time and safety has never been an issue. When I'm in traffic I pay attention to what I'm doing, driving. Needless to say I don't do a lot of radioing while I'm in town traffic, the radio is usually in scan. I mostly use the radio on long trips, even at that, I am familiar enough with the radio that it doesn't require much looking. You might notice there are other vehicle controls in that area, and even lower. They, like the radio controls, are more of a touch thing. Most anything that needs to be done with the radio can be done right from the mic. I've been in radio long enough that I think I'm above "fiddling" with any controls. Visibility of my control head is not an issue and I don't have to bury my head in anything to safely operate the radio. I would much rather have an unobstructed view of the highway in front of me instead of the radio, or control head compromising my field of vision. If what you do works for you, great. This is what works for me, and has for quite some time. I think you mentioned you put one of your old boat anchors in the car to use mobile, how did you mount that to the windshield? When was the last time you saw an installation of a commercial radio on the windshield? I really don't need a lecture from you or anyone else about their take on safe driving. Not only have I seen a lot of tragedies, as you put it, I've been involved in a few. None of them were my fault nor was there any radio operation at the time. I have pretty much always had a radio in my private vehicles, as well as in the business vehicles that were issued to me over the years. Let me make something perfectly clear, Paul, when it comes to driving and radio or cell phone use, which by the way is Bluetooth through the audio system, driving safely trumps talking on the radio every time, hands-free or not.

N2RJ
02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
As long as you can safely operate the radio while motoring, that location looks good. A few 7000 owners (N2RJ comes to mind) have piped the display output to their car's GPS/MP3 player display. If I ever buy a vehicle with such I'm seriously considering it, else I'll go with a TS-B2000 and remote head.

Yes, I've done that. CQ magazine even did a writeup.

The GPS is an OEM GPS (Honda, made by Alpine, audio by Clarion) but I put an RGB converter inline to do this. It may also be possible to use the nav controls to tune the radio (via the CD changer input) but that requires further hacking. It is possible though since the CD changer is basically Sony Unilink with a proprietary connector.

W1GUH
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I have another one, same setup but used a piece of sheet metal bent into and angle that would slip under the edge of my headliner on my old Grand Caravan. The faceplate for the rig was between the rear view mirror and the headliner. Worked great and was legal.

THAT's where, ultimately, I'd like to put it. Thanks for the ideas, Steve!

KJ3N
02-27-2012, 12:56 PM
This should make Paul go all Torquemada on me. ;)

Of course, since the mic on a 7000 will let you do just about everything without touching the radio, it's not been a problem for me.

W9JAM
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Just an update, 4 chokes later, I have resolved the "75 meters shuts off my engine" issue on my truck... wow. I'm using a Lil' Tarheel II just for reference. wow.

W5IEI
02-28-2012, 06:03 AM
That 'lil Tarheel II,and Icom 7000 setup is hard to beat.

W7XF
02-29-2012, 03:17 PM
<snip>Insulin use disqualifies a a driver of a Commercial Vehicle back then (I think you can get a waiver now)<snip>
FHWA is now required to pass out the waivers...the insulin disqualification was recently found illegal per the Americans With Disabilities Act.
And they were ordered to phase out the regulation.

KA9MOT
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
That is good news! The trucker lifestyle has caused allot of Diabetes and Diabetes has disqualified and killed allot of truck drivers. After 12 years as a diabetic I finally decided to go for the Diabetes Education my doctors have been wanting me to go to about a month ago. I didn't want to go because I thought it would be boring.

I learned allot that day. I learned that my eating habits while I was on the road (little to no food during the day and then feasting when I had time to get a meal) taught my body that it was starving. Meaning when I was not eating my body was nourishing itself on my muscle tissue and when I ate it stored it as fat....meanwhile, hours in the seat, along with improper eating habits slowed me metabolically.

So, I have something to blame it on besides stupidity on my part, but it still boils down to stupidity on my part. Who knew? :dunno:

K7SGJ
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
That is good news! The trucker lifestyle has caused allot of Diabetes and Diabetes has disqualified and killed allot of truck drivers. After 12 years as a diabetic I finally decided to go for the Diabetes Education my doctors have been wanting me to go to about a month ago. I didn't want to go because I thought it would be boring.

I learned allot that day. I learned that my eating habits while I was on the road (little to no food during the day and then feasting when I had time to get a meal) taught my body that it was starving. Meaning when I was not eating my body was nourishing itself on my muscle tissue and when I ate it stored it as fat....meanwhile, hours in the seat, along with improper eating habits slowed me metabolically.

So, I have something to blame it on besides stupidity on my part, but it still boils down to stupidity on my part. Who knew? :dunno:

Lamont Cranston, a wealthy young man about town.