PDA

View Full Version : The breaking wind.

w2amr
02-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Holy chitt. 45 MPH gusts here in sout joisey. Watching my ground mounted vertical get hammered. Damn, I didn't know aluminum could bend that much.

W3WN
02-25-2012, 03:25 PM
We had some of that late yesterday afternoon, into the evening.

What was "fun" was, after getting on the "T" Light Rail Transit to go home, we get stuck on the old Panhandle RR bridge for an hour because of some unspecified problem on the line (either a line down or a tree on the tracks somewhere, or something like that, they never did say). After 10 minutes or so, the driver turned off power -- no heat, no lights. A co-worker who was on the same "T" car with me started to panic... I guess she's just a touch claustrophobic.

If the vertical is in good shape, it will be OK. My old HF6 lasted through ~ 25 years of these kinds of winds, until the weld in the base tube finally gave (after 10 years), and the tube was weakened enough to finally snap.

W1GUH
02-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Same winds here in Binghamton. Was really blowing on my way back from Horseheads. Also a nice snow squall came through.

w2amr
02-25-2012, 03:56 PM
We had some of that late yesterday afternoon, into the evening.

What was "fun" was, after getting on the "T" Light Rail Transit to go home, we get stuck on the old Panhandle RR bridge for an hour because of some unspecified problem on the line (either a line down or a tree on the tracks somewhere, or something like that, they never did say). After 10 minutes or so, the driver turned off power -- no heat, no lights. A co-worker who was on the same "T" car with me started to panic... I guess she's just a touch claustrophobic.

If the vertical is in good shape, it will be OK. My old HF6 lasted through ~ 25 years of these kinds of winds, until the weld in the base tube finally gave (after 10 years), and the tube was weakened enough to finally snap.
This is an HF6V butternut. When know winds are coming, I usually get out the step ladder and take off the top half. I missed this one.

KG4CGC
02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Those 45mph winds are great when they're at your back. I once did zero to 30 in under 3 seconds on my scooter when I had a good tailwind. Of course, life isn't a straight line so as soon as you have to make that turn, you have a crosswind trying to knock you over into opposing traffic.

PA5COR
02-25-2012, 04:28 PM
45 MPH? just a stiff breeze.
Had this january 60 - 80 mpH gusting 90, my 77 feet vertical survived.
Never had so much fun looking at the IMAX 2000 vetical, it was partly bend horizontal ;)

w0aew
02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
80 mph gusts here in Longmont a couple days ago. Mosley 40-10 trap vertical survived just fine. The trees...not so well.

N8YX
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
We had 60MPH gusts here yesterday afternoon. All four verticals and the other wire antennas survived unscathed.

kf0rt
02-25-2012, 09:22 PM
80 mph gusts here in Longmont a couple days ago. Mosley 40-10 trap vertical survived just fine. The trees...not so well.

We're neighbors. Wind here in the last week has been pushing the limits. Peaks locally in the 90MPH range.

No damage here, yet, but I have a tree out front that needs attention.

K7SGJ
02-25-2012, 09:27 PM
We're neighbors. Wind here in the last week has been pushing the limits. Peaks locally in the 90MPH range.

No damage here, yet, but I have a tree out front that needs attention.

You better look again, I think it's in Kansas now.

VE7DCW
02-25-2012, 09:38 PM
We had a pacific bomb blast through here early this morning with gusts up to 100 kilometers per hour .....all my antennas survived but a patio table with a sun umbrella in it got destroyed being blown into a tree .....damn I hate unexpected winds!

K7SGJ
02-25-2012, 09:43 PM
One thing about wind, it always passes.

kf0rt
02-25-2012, 09:44 PM
You better look again, I think it's in Kansas now.

I only *wish* it was in Kansas.

Wife says my antenna "stack" was bending 90 degrees in the winds (unpossible). Simple affair; a fence pole mounted to the deck; 3-EL Cushcraft 6M beam and a 2M/440 yagi a few feet above that on a TV rotor. The 6BTV is solid. No damage here, but it's time for an inspection. And I really do need to get a tree trimmer out.

K7SGJ
02-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I only *wish* it was in Kansas.

Wife says my antenna "stack" was bending 90 degrees in the winds (unpossible). Simple affair; a fence pole mounted to the deck; 3-EL Cushcraft 6M beam and a 2M/440 yagi a few feet above that on a TV rotor. The 6BTV is solid. No damage here, but it's time for an inspection. And I really do need to get a tree trimmer out.

Glad it all survived. I have a 6BTV also, and I'm always amazed at how much they can tolerate. Mine is been through some bad storms over the years, and it's still relatively plumb.

kf0rt
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Glad it all survived. I have a 6BTV also, and I'm always amazed at how much they can tolerate. Mine is been through some bad storms over the years, and it's still relatively plumb.

My BTV is solid (I should actually use it sometime). House is on a hill (walk-out basement arrangement with a deck on the upper level). The BTV is ground mounted and I put a piece of 2x10 on the deck railing with a hole for the antenna, so it's anchored about half-way up. Never had a problem with the winds and antennas, but it seriously BLOWS here sometimes. The winds we had last week would have had me picking up shingles in the street a few years ago, guaranteed. Replaced the roof with some high-wind stuff. Best thing I ever did.

No towers in my future as long as I live here.

w2amr
02-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Those 45mph winds are great when they're at your back. I once did zero to 30 in under 3 seconds on my scooter when I had a good tailwind. Of course, life isn't a straight line so as soon as you have to make that turn, you have a crosswind trying to knock you over into opposing traffic.I know what you mean. I took a break from the treadmill yesterday and walked outside instead. the last 1/4 mile was uphill into the wind. Damn, what a workout.

kb2vxa
02-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Don't fool with Mother Nature...