PDA

View Full Version : Icom 701 and computer control

VE7DCW
02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
I picked up an old Icom 701 locally and after doing some internet research I found that it was possible to mod this radio to allow computer control of some radio functions through the back panel ACC plug despite the fact this is a pre-CAT transciever! (rig manufactured c.1980)

I know that computer control is possible because my searches led me to a Youtube video done by KA6BFB demonstrating an I-701 controlled with Ham Radio Deluxe of all things!

I'm really intrigued to experiment with the possibility of doing this with this old rig that supposedly can't be supported with any kind of computer control.Any information anyone can supply would be greatly appreciated :)

N8YX
02-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Take a look at the processor unit used in the R-70 and the IC-720(A) - is it the same as the '701?

If so...I know how to make it work.

KA9MOT
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Have you asked Dave KA6BFB? Here is his email: dave@tinkyr.com and his webpage: http://www.qsl.net/ka6bfb/

Seems like an interesting guy.

VE7DCW
02-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Have you asked Dave KA6BFB? Here is his email: dave@tinkyr.com and his webpage: http://www.qsl.net/ka6bfb/

Seems like an interesting guy.

Excellent ....i've fired off an e-mail to Dave asking if he can provide any more info on this 701 control mod than he provided in his Youtube video .....this looks to be a cool thing to attempt on this old icom radio!

VE7DCW
02-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Take a look at the processor unit used in the R-70 and the IC-720(A) - is it the same as the '701?

If so...I know how to make it work.

Fred .... the information i've been able to glean on my searches indicate that the mod for the icom 701 is similar to mods... "that can be performed on the Icom 211 and and the Icom 245 as the use similar systems and pinouts on the ACC socket..." it's not much to go on but KA6BFB claims he was able to do it.... i've yet to dive into this 701 under the cover yet,as I wanted to DL the manual for thing and get an idea of the inner workings before I go into it...... it's a 30 year old radio but it performs quite well ...... i've never owned or really operated an icom radio so i'm not familiar with it........ but for some strange reason curiousity has me attracted to this radio ........ this coming from a Yaesu guy! :-D

K7SGJ
02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Fred .... the information i've been able to glean on my searches indicate that the mod for the icom 701 is similar to mods... "that can be performed on the Icom 211 and and the Icom 245 as the use similar systems and pinouts on the ACC socket..." it's not much to go on but KA6BFB claims he was able to do it.... i've yet to dive into this 701 under the cover yet,as I wanted to DL the manual for thing and get an idea of the inner workings before I go into it...... it's a 30 year old radio but it performs quite well ...... i've never owned or really operated an icom radio so i'm not familiar with it........ but for some strange reason curiousity has me attracted to this radio ........ this coming from a Yaesu guy! :-D

Seems pretty self explanatory to me OM. :twisted:

VE7DCW
02-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Seems pretty self explanatory to me OM. :twisted:

It's insanity I tell you ....... :wiggle:

K7SGJ
02-26-2012, 10:49 PM
It's insanity I tell you ....... :wiggle:

I dunno. Take a slow glance around the Island. Do you notice that insanity IS the Islands' version of sanity?

Oh shit. What have I done? Carlo is going to be along shortly, and let me know he resembles that remark, then I'll have to stand erected...your right it is insanity.................Never mind.

VE7DCW
02-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I dunno. Take a slow glance around the Island. Do you notice that insanity IS the Islands' version of sanity?

Oh shit. What have I done? Carlo is going to be along shortly, and let me know he resembles that remark, then I'll have to stand erected...your right it is insanity.................Never mind.

There is logic in your thinking .....The Island is a force in itself! :agree:

NQ6U
02-27-2012, 12:40 AM

Hey, you're talkin' about a guy who just dumped sixty bucks on freakin' toobs for a boat anchor he doesn't really need. If that don't count as insanity, I don't what does.

VE7DCW
02-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Hey, you're talkin' about a guy who just dumped sixty bucks on freakin' toobs for a boat anchor he doesn't really need. If that don't count as insanity, I don't what does.

Sixty bucks spent on "toobs" for a boat anchor is NOT insanity ........ I would spend that for any boat anchor I have and i'm not insane .....at least last time I checked I was'nt ...so nuff said :rock:

NQ6U
02-27-2012, 01:01 AM
i'm not insane .....at least last time I checked I was'nt ...so nuff said

Ah, but if you were insane, you wouldn't know it!

K7SGJ
02-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Dumped sixty....DUMPED SIXTY BUCKS??? I'm insested. (Well I would have been if I had a sister) Dump is what a bear does in the woods. You made an INVESTMENT in the restoration of a highly desirable piece of electronic memorabilia, which only makes it more desirable to the amateur radio community, thus, furthering the interest in radio communications and making for a higher level of understanding and brotherhood amongst others of like interests not only locally, but globally, as well. No way in hell you'd catch me pissin away that kind of money on some glass shells somebody stuffed with some bits of metal and sucked the air out of. Ya crazy Bastid.

kf0rt
02-27-2012, 08:25 AM
You made an INVESTMENT in the restoration of a highly desirable piece of electronic memorabilia, which only makes it more desirable to the amateur radio community, thus, furthering the interest in radio communications and making for a higher level of understanding and brotherhood amongst others of like interests not only locally, but globally, as well.

Been married long? :lol:

K7SGJ
02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Been married long? :lol:

At times, it seems like forever. However, no one will ever be able to call :bs: on me as often as she has. The good news is that she is just about ready to test for license. The bad news is she will never be "afflicted" with ham radio like most of are.

KA6BFB
06-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Excellent ....i've fired off an e-mail to Dave asking if he can provide any more info on this 701 control mod than he provided in his Youtube video .....this looks to be a cool thing to attempt on this old icom radio!

Hi there..

I have tried to post three times now, so forgive me if there is a multiple post. I have just completed my webpage for the newest Icom interface project. I have successfully interfaced a 211, and the 701 is the same protocol except it also requires an analog voltage for switching. I have made accomodations for this in my new design. I have not tested a 701 yet because i don't have one in my possession. If you want to check out the webpage, it is at http://home.comcast.net/~tinkyr/radio/projects/Vintage%20Icom%20Interface.htm There is also a link to my youtube site so you can see videos of the interface working. This has been a lot of work, and if you have interface questions about these radios, i will be happy to share what i have uncovered.

73 Dave KA6BFB

KA9MOT
06-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi there..

I have tried to post three times now, so forgive me if there is a multiple post. I have just completed my webpage for the newest Icom interface project. I have successfully interfaced a 211, and the 701 is the same protocol except it also requires an analog voltage for switching. I have made accomodations for this in my new design. I have not tested a 701 yet because i don't have one in my possession. If you want to check out the webpage, it is at http://home.comcast.net/~tinkyr/radio/projects/Vintage%20Icom%20Interface.htm There is also a link to my youtube site so you can see videos of the interface working. This has been a lot of work, and if you have interface questions about these radios, i will be happy to share what i have uncovered.

73 Dave KA6BFB

Hey Dave!
Welcome to the Island! Go put you feet up on the beach and enjoy. The bartender will be along shortly.

It is nice to see folks like who are willing to share their knowledge. I personally thank you for doing so.

Edit: ​OK, I just looked at your page and I have to say that I am impressed. Nice Job!

NQ6U
06-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Indeed, nice work, Dave and welcome to the Island. It has become a tradition for newcomers to have a drink on my tab, which I never pay and which is roughly equal to the GNP of Bolivia.

VE7DCW
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Hi there..

73 Dave KA6BFB

Yes ...... I have to echo this as well ......Welcome to the Island Dave and indeed thank you very much for the link to your page with the Icom 701 mods!!
To say I'm impressed would be an understatement.With all luck I'll be able to now carry on with this intriguing project.I will let you know how I progress with this to a successful conclusion :rock:

KG4CGC
07-01-2012, 07:02 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/b2b71b90.jpg

N8YX
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Welcome, Dave!

Have you any experience with the R-70 and IC-745...and interfacing to their CPU busses?

K7SGJ
07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the Island, Dave. Kudos on the website. Very well done. It's obvious you have spent a lot of time, not only with the research, but the artwork and documentation are top drawer.

Speaking of top drawer, feel free to visit the bar on the beach where there is a pole with your call on it; the Mahi are always running; and, the killer lures are in the top drawer of the tackle box.