PDA

View Full Version : Mobil'ing up to Horseheads this afternoon

W1GUH
02-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Will be on 40, around 7210. Will be checking that freq. at the top and bottom of the hour for another friend, but jump on in if you hear me!

Also tomorrow, on the way to the hamfest between about 6:30 & 8:00 AM, then in the afternoon I'm going to chase trains so will be on 40 most of that time. Then, Sunday morning I'll be riding along with ECARS 7255. C'mon out & get on the air!

W3WN
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Will be on 40, around 7210. Will be checking that freq. at the top and bottom of the hour for another friend, but jump on in if you hear me!

Also tomorrow, on the way to the hamfest between about 6:30 & 8:00 AM, then in the afternoon I'm going to chase trains so will be on 40 most of that time. Then, Sunday morning I'll be riding along with ECARS 7255. C'mon out & get on the air!
If we fire the club rig up on Sunday, I'll make a point to look for you on ECARS.

kb2vxa
02-24-2012, 06:35 PM
You mean you won't be wandering around with your whackpack? Great way to combine hobbies, maybe you'll post some pictures?

W1GUH
02-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Pix for sure. Whack pack? Gimme a break! Lucky to have an HT hidden in my pocket.

Hope to hear you, Ron.

K7SGJ
02-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Pix for sure. Whack pack? Gimme a break! Lucky to have an HT hidden in my pocket.

Hope to hear you, Ron.

Is that an HT in your pocket, or are you just glad to...............................aw........never mind.

W3WN
02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Is that an HT in your pocket, or are you just glad to...............................aw........never mind.Don't go there.

W3WN
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM

Hope to hear you, Ron.I'll try. No promises.

The club has an ICOM HF rig (IC-736?) that we're trying to sell. The guys at the club table want to run coax out to an HF antenna to demonstrate... no problem on the coax, and there's a hole to run cable through, but I don't know if they have an antenna.

So we'll see.

W1GUH
02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I someone has a mobile rig, you can use that antenna.

W1GUH
02-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Is that an HT in your pocket, or are you just glad to...............................aw........never mind.

Be at a hamfest? Hell, yes!!

kb2vxa
02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I got HT in pocket
Got rubber (ducky), I'm gonna use it.
Intention
I feel inventive,
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice
Cause I going make you see-- there's nobody else here
No one like me.
I'm special, so special.
I got to have some of your attention, give it to me!

kb2crk
02-25-2012, 09:12 AM
I got HT in pocket
Got rubber (ducky), I'm gonna use it.
Intention
I feel inventive,
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice
Cause I going make you see-- there's nobody else here
No one like me.
I'm special, so special.
I got to have some of your attention, give it to me!

Oh quit pretending...

KA9MOT
02-25-2012, 10:09 AM
ECARS! I'll be listening for you Paul!

W1GUH
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Wasn't on the radio much...on the way this morning between about 7:30 and 8:30.

Here's a general shot inside the armory

Got a Tek Scope -- 442 - 35 MHz, dual trace. $50.00.

Ran into a few regulars from the circuit. Always good to hook-up! The guy with the tubes didn't have the 6146A collection...someone probably be me to buying all he had. Ah, well...

Saw a bunch of vintage receivers for sale - S-85, SX-122, HR-10B, plus more I can't remember. Prices were "current hamfest standard" -- not overpriced, but they're not giving them away anymore.

The guy with the 'scope also had a dual trace with delayed sweep storage 'scope for $100 and a 453 for $50. Shied away from the storage 'scope (but it was pretty!). The choice between the 453 & the 422 was tough. Chose the 422 cuz it's smaller and lighter. Also newer.

Food was great! Pancakes & sausage & they were GOOD! Not to mention the hamfest coffee! Yum!

K7SGJ
02-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Julia Child and Juan Valdez are rolling over in their respective graves.

W3WN
02-25-2012, 11:20 PM
I someone has a mobile rig, you can use that antenna.Depends on how close to the back of the building we could put the vehicle. The posibility hasn't been ruled out.

We let Cathy Sauder of Sauder Electronics in around 9 to drop her stuff off; she and her husband had been up at Horsehead. She had a good day.

W3WN
02-25-2012, 11:22 PM
< snip >
Food was great! Pancakes & sausage & they were GOOD! Not to mention the hamfest coffee! Yum!Yes, but you should taste our caterer's Italian Roast Beef sandwiches for lunch!

W1GUH
02-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Depends on how close to the back of the building we could put the vehicle. The posibility hasn't been ruled out.

We let Cathy Sauder of Sauder Electronics in around 9 to drop her stuff off; she and her husband had been up at Horsehead. She had a good day.

There's always something I need from them. They've got a pretty good selection of connectors & stuff. Expect to be on the road about 9 AM.

kb2vxa
02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
A hamsterfester with GOOD food? You don't know how lucky you are, boy (back in the USSR). Sure beats St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast (where I stole the margarine). Sounds like a nice 'scope too, got an HP 100MHz DT for a hundred in a private sale, hope it still works after years in storage.

W1GUH
02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Hmmmm...starting to think that neck of the woods is Murphy's territory & all his descendants. The Drake developed problems on my last trip, today the '857 wouldn't power up. Measured the voltage, it was fine, but the radio refuses to pay attention to either power-on button. Probably something simple, but geez-o-pete, what's with that corner of NY State? So...needless to say, no mobil'ing home today.

But it was a good trip. Best part was the old friends I ran into plus the new friends I made up there, followed by scoring a Tek 'scope.

W3WN
02-26-2012, 08:23 PM
A hamsterfester with GOOD food? You don't know how lucky you are, boy (back in the USSR). Sure beats St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast (where I stole the margarine). Sounds like a nice 'scope too, got an HP 100MHz DT for a hundred in a private sale, hope it still works after years in storage.
Shoulda come to my club's shindig. We not only have good food... we have it catered.

No, really.

kf4wxd
02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Warren,

I've been wondering about your avatar picture for a while. Do you know where it was taken? As far as I know. the "Spirit" has only been in five places. Atop 195 Broadway, int the lobby at 550 Madison Avenue, in front of the lobby at 295 N. Maple Avenue, 300 Rt 206, Bedminster and now, sadly, at Akard St. in Dallas. I worked in 295 for over five years, 1987 - 1992, and I was in and out of Bedmister a few times a month during that time. Did you work for the company?

Russ Nixon

KA9MOT
02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Warren,

I've been wondering about your avatar picture for a while. Do you know where it was taken? As far as I know. the "Spirit" has only been in five places. Atop 195 Broadway, int the lobby at 550 Madison Avenue, in front of the lobby at 295 N. Maple Avenue, 300 Rt 206, Bedminster and now, sadly, at Akard St. in Dallas. I worked in 295 for over five years, 1987 - 1992, and I was in and out of Bedmister a few times a month during that time. Did you work for the company?

Russ Nixon

I thought that was a Hood Ornament on somebodies Vintage Cord or Cadillac. I did an image search on the picture and learned amazing things. I also found this and it is sad:

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2005/09/att_lesson_from.html

kb2vxa
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't know about Dallas but I'm the same statue from atop 195 Broadway moved to MADison Ave. and later Bedminster. What really pissed me off when they moved me into the lobby they made me a eunuch! I chose it out of facetious audacity, vanity of the worst possible kind considering what an avatar is. Officially the Spirit of Communications, aka the Genius of Electricity and Golden Boy the latter two fit my over inflated ego to a T. Just to rub it in, the 24ft bronze statue is covered with 40,000 pieces of gold leaf. Ain't I something... special?

Nope, never worked for AT&T but hacked the hell out of them in my phone phreaking days. (;->) Now what was that crack about a hood ornament? Hey buddy, how would YOU like a face full of bugs?! From the article: "Anyway, the moral for CEOs is don’t emasculate your icon." Well they did and you see what happened!