PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices.........

WA4TM
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
From the local newspaper....

NQ6U
02-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Once again, I'm glad I opted for the four-banger rather than the V-6 when I bought my Ford Ranger. Sure, there's sometimes a pucker-power moment when merging on the freeway but 28 MPG is nice.

KG4CGC
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Obama wants high gas prices. Just ask Rush.
Obama wants you to downsize the American dream and have you ride a bus to work and an electric car to the grocery store. Just ask Rush.
From his ass to your ears.

N8YX
02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
With the exception of 'DSG's Outback, everything we drive or ride gets at least 30MPG - we've been practicing this for years. I'll ride a motorcycle to work any chance I get.

That said, Nicki made a comment yesterday regarding the threat of $5/gal gasoline: "Guess we'll be riding our bicycles to more places."

Which would work except for the fact that we don't have any bike lanes to speak of on our area roads. :roll:

ETA: All of our bicycles have rear racks installed which will accept trunk bags and the tote cart shown below. Would be nice to use them as grocery getters but riding on city streets in NEOH is suicidal.

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/2204/thumbnail

KC2UGV
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm not really sure why anyone is surprised?

For starters, we are rapidly burning up a finite resource; at a pace faster than the earth can replace it. Gas WILL hit $5/gallon. Then $10, then $40, then $50... It's a fact. We'd better prepare for it now.

And, seeing as the Koch Brothers want Obama out of office; they have to figure out a way to derail the economic recovery. What better way than to raise the taxes they charge: They increase the costs of gasoline.

NQ6U
02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Funny thing is that the U.S. has now become a net exporter of gasoline because the international market is more lucrative than the domestic one. Add in the Iran thing and the fact that oil companies have recently shut down a number of outdated and unprofitable refineries and you have an explanation for the current rise in gasoline prices that doesn't require a conspiracy.

PA5COR
02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Add the profits for the (rightwing speculators with a goal) wars and threats to Iran about impeding war....thanks to republican warhawks

KC2UGV
02-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Funny thing is that the U.S. has now become a net exporter of gasoline because the international market is more lucrative than the domestic one. Add in the Iran thing and the fact that oil companies have recently shut down a number of outdated and unprofitable refineries and you have an explanation for the current rise in gasoline prices that doesn't require a conspiracy.

No conpsiracy theory needed here...

Koch Energies, Inc. What do you think they do? Not refine gasoline? But, since they do, and since gasoline has a more or less inelastic demand curve, and since the US is rewarding oil companies for gouging us; they can charge pretty much whatever they want.

VE7DCW
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Our gasoline price at the local gas station just went to $1.33 a liter ..... which boils down to about $5.40 a gallon you would pay in the U.S. ..... I have a 20 year old mini van with a 6 liter engine ....this is really hurting me! :rant:

PA5COR
02-24-2012, 04:06 AM
My Diiesel van has a 2.5 Turbo diesel, 25 miles a gallon ( US) but a litre diesel is € 1.36 now...or $ 6.87 per gallon..
Not done yet, add 117 euro per month road tax please...

W5GA
02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
My Diiesel van has a 2.5 Turbo diesel, 25 miles a gallon ( US) but a litre diesel is € 1.36 now...or $ 6.87 per gallon..
Not done yet, add 117 euro per month road tax please...
I sure wish someone here would start to pick up on this kind of technology. :cry:

NA4BH
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I drive a 6000 pound Ford Explorer, 24.5 mpg.

KG4CGC
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm not even going to tell you what my gas mileage is. I should be selling carbon credits.

N8YX
02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm not even going to tell you what my gas mileage is. I should be selling carbon credits.

That with the Ruckus or another scooter?

A buddy at work has a 150cc Furnace "Tank" (Chinese origin) step-through. It gets over 100mpg and will easily do 65mph.

KG4CGC
02-24-2012, 07:39 PM
That with the Ruckus or another scooter?

A buddy at work has a 150cc Furnace "Tank" (Chinese origin) step-through. It gets over 100mpg and will easily do 65mph.

The Ruckus. I've recently hit 120mpg and 55mph on 3 cubic inches. The tranny tweaks are still being experimented with. Of course, that was down a long hill.
Planning a ride to Asheville soon. Will I tune for hills or speed? Hills.
I've been taking apart one of those Chinese 150s. Junk. Too much stuff to go wrong. Too many poorly assembled, assemblies. The engineering is there since it's simply a copy of older Japanese designs but the craftsmanship of parts and manufacturing as only improved marginally over the last 8 years. There's some good Korean stuff out there from the same blueprints. Costs a little more but at least when you're out riding, you keep riding.
I will say that the front disc brakes on the Chinese scoot is pretty beefy. If I can find a good welder in town I'll have the triple tree welded to a proper Honda stem and go chopper style.

N8YX
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I've been taking apart one of those Chinese 150s. Junk. Too much stuff to go wrong. Too many poorly assembled, assemblies. The engineering is there since it's simply a copy of older Japanese designs but the craftsmanship of parts and manufacturing as only improved marginally over the last 8 years.

Interesting. Co-worker has around 14K on his and the only thing that's really given him fits is the magneto. He had to replace the stator last year. Mind you, these machines are nowhere near the quality of your Ruckus but he's realized a return several times over its $1700 purchase price in gas savings and vehicle wear.

I would bicycle to work if we had decent bike lanes (or trails) and showers.

KB3LAZ
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
With the exception of 'DSG's Outback, everything we drive or ride gets at least 30MPG - we've been practicing this for years. I'll ride a motorcycle to work any chance I get.

That said, Nicki made a comment yesterday regarding the threat of $5/gal gasoline: "Guess we'll be riding our bicycles to more places."

Which would work except for the fact that we don't have any bike lanes to speak of on our area roads. :roll:

ETA: All of our bicycles have rear racks installed which will accept trunk bags and the tote cart shown below. Would be nice to use them as grocery getters but riding on city streets in NEOH is suicidal.

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/2204/thumbnail

Yeah, Ive been to your neck of the woods. Driving a bike would not be a wise choice. Could do so easily in my area but it may take you four hours to get where you are going. :P

KG4CGC
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Interesting. Co-worker has around 14K on his and the only thing that's really given him fits is the magneto. He had to replace the stator last year. Mind you, these machines are nowhere near the quality of your Ruckus but he's realized a return several times over its $1700 purchase price in gas savings and vehicle wear.

I would bicycle to work if we had decent bike lanes (or trails) and showers.

The Ruck paid for itself in the first 11 months. Lots of guys put those 150s in their Rucks BTW. There are some engine mount kits, weld on and bolt on. My opinion is to just get a whatever bike and leave it be. If you want a bigger motor, get a bike with a bigger motor and ride that.
I was looking for a used Honda PCX. That's a 125cc that gets a whopping 130mpg. Looks cool and has major power with its electronic fuel injection. Well, Honda's not making any for the 2012 model year so the used market here is non existent.
I could have easily taken my MC DMV test on that.

KG4CGC
02-24-2012, 08:08 PM
BTW, the TANK may be a slightly better brand than most Chinese stuff but magnetos and stators should not fail so quickly or so often. I'd look for a problem elsewhere, like somewhere in the electrical system related directly to the rectifier and the CDI. Those should be cheap to replace and a bad rectifier will cause a lot of odd problems to a stator. A malperforming CDI could easily screw up a magneto. The rectifier could also contribute to every other problem, kind of like a domino effect.

KB3LAZ
02-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Im probably going to end up with something similar to get back and forth to work in Spain. Since I will only be going about 3 miles. I could walk...but Im not much of a morning person. Really dont see a need for two cars when living in the city.

kb2vxa
02-24-2012, 08:40 PM
That's OK, my SUB (sport utility bicycle) gets me to the Sloppy Slop. Then when I get to the check out I wish I had a car to cover the distance to Slop Wrong! (In case you don't understand VXese that's Stop 'n Shop and Shop Rite respectively.)

W4GPL
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Gas in Colorado is creeping up, but it's still as cheap as it gets in the US.. $3.15-ish, maybe a little less in some places.

I don't own a car and it's strangely the most liberating thing I've done in a long time. My proximity to work/stores and good public transit/taxi network is obviously how I can get away with this, but it's great. I can stay out at the clubs all night, not worrying about how I'm going to get the car home after a few drinks. I save a fortune in car payments, insurance, parking, etc.. If I need a car, Enterprise has a 3 day weekend rental for $45 (taxes included) -- I do this every few weekends so I can pick up the larger items from the store and whatnot; though I rely heavily on Amazon Prime for this too.

Frankly, when I'm renting a car, it causes me great anxiety. Where am I going to park? Do I need to stop for gas? How am I going to get that blood out of the grill?.. I've said too much. :shifty:

KG4CGC
02-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Gas in Colorado is creeping up, but it's still as cheap as it gets in the US.. $3.15-ish, maybe a little less in some places.

I don't own a car and it's strangely the most liberating thing I've done in a long time. My proximity to work/stores and good public transit/taxi network is obviously how I can get away with this, but it's great. I can stay out at the clubs all night, not worrying about how I'm going to get the car home after a few drinks. I save a fortune in car payments, insurance, parking, etc.. If I need a car, Enterprise has a 3 day weekend rental for $45 (taxes included) -- I do this every few weekends so I can pick up the larger items from the store and whatnot; though I rely heavily on Amazon Prime for this too.

Frankly, when I'm renting a car, it causes me great anxiety. Where am I going to park? Do I need to stop for gas? How am I going to get that blood out of the grill?.. I've said too much. :shifty:

When I lived in downtown Greenville it was like that. Everything was within walking distance. Even the job was a couple of miles away. Places like that around here are few and far between though. Add to that very limited bus transportation, no trains, etc etc.
Spent a few days in Charlotte. You can get anywhere in Charlotte on a bus.

KC2UGV
02-24-2012, 11:21 PM

WIN!!!

kb2vxa
02-24-2012, 11:33 PM
"I can stay out at the clubs all night, not worrying about how I'm going to get the car home after a few drinks."

Isn't it more like how the car is going to get YOU home? No trouble with mine, I had a homing car. Well, one time it found its way onto my street, then the locator beacon crapped out and it forgot which house it lived in.

kf0rt
02-25-2012, 08:11 AM

Ha! That's cool, Jeff. Not too many people do that in Denver.

Still drive to work here -- from the NW burbs to the N burbs, 10.5 miles each way, no highways. Tried the bus for three months about 20 years ago (the state insisted) and my transit time went from about 45 minutes a day to about two and a half hours.

We have 2 cars; together, they might see 10K miles a year.

W4GPL
02-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Tried the bus for three months about 20 years ago (the state insisted) and my transit time went from about 45 minutes a day to about two and a half hours.Yeah, taking the bus can certainly add to your travel time.. I try to avoid it. I take a lot of taxis, which is expensive, but still less expensive than having a car. I'm 1.2 miles from work, on a nice day, it's a very easy and peaceful walk -- I can make it in about ~30 minutes.

W2NAP
02-25-2012, 03:09 PM
3.69 here
3.85-3.95 for diesel

KG4CGC
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.greenvillegasprices.com/index.aspx?area=Easley

K7SGJ
02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I saw this on CNN Friday morning.

Gas Prices near $6.00 at some Orlando and Lake Buena Vista Gas Stations

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/02/22/florida-drivers-shelling-out-nearly-6-a-gallon-at-some-gas-stations/

Isn't there some kind of enforceable law against this kind of price gouging? But then, I guess if there are fools out there that won't go to another station, they deserve to get screwed. Since all this went public, they have apparently lowered their price. The Bastids

NA4BH
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
I saw this on CNN Friday morning.

Gas Prices near $6.00 at some Orlando and Lake Buena Vista Gas Stations

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/02/22/florida-drivers-shelling-out-nearly-6-a-gallon-at-some-gas-stations/

Isn't there some kind of enforceable law against this kind of price gouging? But then, I guess if there are fools out there that won't go to another station, they deserve to get screwed. Since all this went public, they have apparently lowered their price. The Bastids

There was a station near the Orlando Airport that did not display the price. They were charging the "normal" price plus about half again. People that rented cars really took a screwing. I've heard the State finally fined them and made them display a "normal" price. It was definitely a WTF moment at the pump.

W4GPL
02-26-2012, 09:00 PM
There was a station near the Orlando Airport that did not display the price. They were charging the "normal" price plus about half again. People that rented cars really took a screwing. I've heard the State finally fined them and made them display a "normal" price. It was definitely a WTF moment at the pump.I was just there.. two of the stations are still pulling that shit. I pulled in and the price on the pump was $6.15. The 7-11 a quarter mile further from the airport was normal prices.. so they haven't fixed the problem yet.

KB3LAZ
02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Was looking at the Honda PCX but Pilar thinks the CRB125R looks less dorky. =P Idc either way for the less than 6klm a day I will put on it. Though at the local dealer there is only a 425€ difference. I dont really see the point though. Both top out at about 100km/h. If she wants to talk me into something with a little more power it would not be hard to suggest a CBR600. May compromise with a CBR250R. Basically will give the same performance as the 125 solo if we are both on the 250. Bleh Idk. Was looking at something to commute. Now she is all crazed, lets get a bike. Lol.

Mind you, before she would suggest a CBR600 she would suggest a 750 shadow etc. Which again, I am fine with. Just waiting for her to say...babe get a bike not a commuter. :P Either way, still better economy than a car, easier to park, etc.

Will see how this pans out.

W2NAP
02-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Anderson. $3.85
Indiana. $3.45-$4.08

W7XF
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Travis... go for the gusto!!!! Get a Gixxer 1000!!!!

As for me.... I'm still making payments on the 16 mpg pickup... so it's not possible to get rid of it anytime soon...and not without a repaint (AZ sunshine and MoPar's paint don't get along well)... but the bike gets 40-45 mpg (04 Suzuki DL1000) and it's paid for! But give me a decent rebate (HA!) and I'm scoring a Toyota Tacoma with the TRD package...will pull the 5500# travel trailer and get 25ish dry!!!!!

K7SGJ
03-01-2012, 07:45 AM

As for me.... I'm still making payments on the 16 mpg pickup... so it's not possible to get rid of it anytime soon...and not without a repaint (AZ sunshine and MoPar's paint don't get along well)... but the bike gets 40-45 mpg (04 Suzuki DL1000) and it's paid for! But give me a decent rebate (HA!) and I'm scoring a Toyota Tacoma with the TRD package...will pull the 5500# travel trailer and get 25ish dry!!!!!

We've had several Toyota Tacoma and Tundra trucks over the years, all TRD packages, and several of their cars as well. Some of them are used pretty hard, but we have never experienced a major problem with any of them. In fact, we have over 130,000 miles on my wife's Tacoma, and it's not even broken in yet. Of course, we stick to a strict preventive maintenance schedule which also helps prolong their longevity. I haven't looked at the new trucks lately, but I've got to go pick up some parts this week, and I'll take a look to see what's new.

KB3LAZ
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM

The point is to save gas. If I wanted a bike that ate gas would just get a HD HSC. Which is my favorite bike.

WA4TM
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM

WA4TM
03-01-2012, 08:22 PM

K7SGJ
03-02-2012, 07:54 PM
When I lived in downtown Greenville it was like that. Everything was within walking distance. Even the job was a couple of miles away. Places like that around here are few and far between though. Add to that very limited bus transportation, no trains, etc etc.
Spent a few days in Charlotte. You can get anywhere in Charlotte on a bus.

Charlotte, the harlot
The cow punchers whore
She's dirty
She's filthy
She spits on the floor...................................Ooops wrong Charlotte.............never mind

W2NAP
03-02-2012, 09:25 PM
$4 here now..

im sure since indiana has had some destruction due to weather, the cocksuckers will jack it up another 50+ cents claiming problems from the storms

kf0rt
03-02-2012, 09:41 PM
It's about $3.15 here and nobody in Colorado can figure out why it's so cheap compared to the rest of the country.

KG4CGC
03-02-2012, 10:43 PM
It's about $3.15 here and nobody in Colorado can figure out why it's so cheap compared to the rest of the country.

Is there a military base or Koch installation there?
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/02/the-dis-united-states-of-gas-prices-why-fuel-is-so-cheap-in-denver/253504/

kf0rt
03-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Is there a military base or Koch installation there?
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/02/the-dis-united-states-of-gas-prices-why-fuel-is-so-cheap-in-denver/253504/

Interesting article (but I don't like how it ends). Thanks, Charles!