PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you really think about this

W5IEI
02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/Mikeone/DSC000152.jpg

It's a Mcmillan mcswirly stock on my Ruger MKII 7x57.
I'm keeping the original walnut stock,but wanted a little more weather resistance.

I ordered this thing October 22,and got it Feb. 16

I think it's beautiful,it's already grown on me.

K7SGJ
02-19-2012, 09:47 AM
It'll clash with your camo, and the deer will see you a mile away. :-D

Personally, I'm more in to wood stocks and grips. However, being more resistant to inclement weather is a real plus, and I would think it's a little more rugged than wood as far as dents and scratches go. How much lighter is it tan the walnut stock?

NQ6U
02-19-2012, 12:57 PM
What's the logic behind the color? Deer are mostly (but not completely) color-blind so it's probably not an issue, I'm just curious why you chose the mottled blue over a more typical black or camo color.

As for wood vs. composite, the latter has a lot to recommend it. Less likely for your zero to change due to changes in humidity, for one thing.

W5IEI
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
What's the logic behind the color? Deer are mostly (but not completely) color-blind so it's probably not an issue, I'm just curious why you chose the mottled blue over a more typical black or camo color.

As for wood vs. composite, the latter has a lot to recommend it. Less likely for your zero to change due to changes in humidity, for one thing.

Ha!,
I just wanted to be different Carl. It's actually supposed to be 50% blue,25% red,and 25% white.
I' was hoping for a patriotic kinda thing.
Although it didn't work out quite that way,I still like it.

NQ6U
02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Ha!,
I just wanted to be different Carl. It's actually supposed to be 50% blue,25% red,and 25% white.
I' was hoping for a patriotic kinda thing.
Although it didn't work out quite that way,I still like it.

Good enough for me! I wasn't questioning your decision, just wondering how you came by it.

W5IEI
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
It'll clash with your camo, and the deer will see you a mile away. :-D

Personally, I'm more in to wood stocks and grips. However, being more resistant to inclement weather is a real plus, and I would think it's a little more rugged than wood as far as dents and scratches go. How much lighter is it tan the walnut stock?

It weighs pretty much the same,I'm still pretty young,and don't mind a sporter weight rifle,,,yet!!!

N8YX
02-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I like the so-called 'black rifles' because there's absolutely nothing ornate on them, and you don't have to worry about scratching or gouging a wooden stock, rusting a blued finish after getting caught in a rain storm or dropped in a creek, etc. They just work.

That said, Mike's new furniture looks like it's well suited for its role in the field.

W1GUH
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
It's beautiful! What's the stock made of? I read "composite" up there, but dunno what that means, really.

The only rifle I had 'way back when was that Remington semi-auto 22 with a fiberglass stock. It was a honey -- only ever used it for target practice.

PA5COR
02-20-2012, 04:51 AM
I must be old fashioned, and love the wood stock on my M1 US Carbine .30, lovely restored it and treated it to auto lacquer.
Waterproof, and the wood really came out beautifull, but i only use it on the 100 meter indoor range, so moist is no problem.
I see the practicallity of the new stock if the rifle is used outdoors, but the colour scheme is hurting my eyes ;)

What matters is you are happy with it.
Happy hunting ;)

W5IEI
02-20-2012, 06:21 AM
It's fiberglass mixed with micro balloons to lighten it up some.
I also have 3 AR-15's Fred,2 in 5.56,and one in 6.8 SPC.
Most of my other rifles are walnut,and steel,this is my first psycadillic one.
Mike

N8YX
02-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I also have 3 AR-15's Fred,2 in 5.56,and one in 6.8 SPC.

Talk to me about the 6.8: Ever do any varminting (specifically, 'yote hunting) with it? I'm split between a .243 upper for my hunting LR or a 6.8 for its AR counterpart.

KB3LAZ
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/Mikeone/DSC000152.jpg

It's a Mcmillan mcswirly stock on my Ruger MKII 7x57.
I'm keeping the original walnut stock,but wanted a little more weather resistance.

I ordered this thing October 22,and got it Feb. 16

I think it's beautiful,it's already grown on me.

You could not pay me to carry that. =P

K7SGJ
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Not even 100 bucks a mile? For that kind of dough, you'd walk all the way to Spain with that strapped to your back. You can't fool me dude, I'm too stupid.

KB3LAZ
02-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Not even 100 bucks a mile? For that kind of dough, you'd walk all the way to Spain with that strapped to your back. You can't fool me dude, I'm too stupid.

I know I am good, but not that good. Walk to Spain you say. I can not walk on water. Make it 1000 GBP's a mile. I will then exchange that for euro's. Even if we call it by air miles and round it off to 5000, Ill be happy.

W5IEI
02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Talk to me about the 6.8: Ever do any varminting (specifically, 'yote hunting) with it? I'm split between a .243 upper for my hunting LR or a 6.8 for its AR counterpart.

Fred,I haven't had my 6.8 very long,although I have killed several hogs with it 100-150 yards,and 75-150 pounders.
With the 110 grain Sierra pro hunter,they were one shot kills just behind the shoulder,and a little lower than you would aim for on most game animals.
This time of year they are excellent table fare.During the summer in Texas we kill the bigger ones as a matter of self preservation,we are overrun with them here.They are treated like varmints here.They wreak havoc on crops,fences,and vehicular traffic (kinda like hitting a big rock).
To answer your question,for coyotes,if most of your shots are under 300 yards,the 6.8 will do nicely.
If you are looking for a longer range type weapon,go with the .243.
Mike

W5IEI
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
I know I am good, but not that good. Walk to Spain you say. I can not walk on water. Make it 1000 GBP's a mile. I will then exchange that for euro's. Even if we call it by air miles and round it off to 5000, Ill be happy.

I'll bet you can walk on water if it's frozen ;)

W5IEI
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Fred,
I forgot to mention,Rock River Arms has an upper in 25 WSSM now.
That would be the ultimate coyote,hog,light/medium game round on the AR platform.
Mike

KC2UGV
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM

I know you think I can, but it don't matter: I don't walk on water....

PA5COR
02-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I would for that price.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBxhXZQRro
1.50 minute in the vid.

KB3LAZ
02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I'll bet you can walk on water if it's frozen ;)

Better yet, I will skate. On a more serious note, my hunting rifles are either black synthetic or wood. =) Im kinda plain Jane in some senses.

K7SGJ
02-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Better yet, I will skate. On a more serious note, my hunting rifles are either black synthetic or wood. =) Im kinda plain Jane in some senses.

Yeah me too. When it comes to guns, I always get wood.

kb2vxa
02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Neat double entendre there. (;->)