PDA

View Full Version : Predict The Obligatory Whine

W3WN
02-17-2012, 02:39 PM
2012 ARRL DX CW Contest begins tonight at 0000 UTC (7 PM EST) and runs for 48 hours.

I'm thinking of starting a virtual pool to predict when the first post complaining about "them dang kahntoasters" taking up the bands will be posted... well, elsewhere.

If you'd like to participate, just for fun, please try and predict the following:

The date and time (within the quarter hour) of the first post. Date & Time in UTC.
The person making the post.
The forum the first post will show up in (for example, QRZ: Discussions, eHam: Contest Forum, etc.)

In the unlikely event of a tie, the tie-breaker will be your best guess as the first person to respond to the original complaint that non-contesters should go to the WARC bands for the duration.

Place your (virtual) bets, place your bets!

NQ6U
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Here's some cheese to go with that whine:

http://www.watongacheesefestival.com/celebrate_cheese.jpg

And my entry is 00:30 UCT on 17 Feb 2012 on QRZ, poster will be IOI

KJ3N
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Won't happen, Ron. CW contests rarely result in QRZ Bitchfests. That's reserved for phone contests.

W3WN
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Won't happen, Ron. CW contests rarely result in QRZ Bitchfests. That's reserved for phone contests.Oh contrare. The kvetching will start BEFORE the phone contest does, but there will be kvetching about the CW end.

And it's not just on the Zed. eHam has it's share of them too.

WX7P
02-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh contrare. The kvetching will start BEFORE the phone contest does, but there will be kvetching about the CW end.

And it's not just on the Zed. eHam has it's share of them too.

I agree, the anti-contest dopes will come out of the woodwork, even though it's a CW contest. You'd think that an occasional weekend off from talking about their pellagra would do some of these stations good.

Does anyone even read eham? Last time I was there, which admittedly was years ago, the forums were jumbled and hard to follow.

An off topic question- Is it my imagination, or are a lot of the "frequency parkers" new hams? I started googling callsigns of some of the clowns I hear on 75 at night, and a lot of these guys with shiny cool 1x2 or 2x1 callsigns haven't been licensed very long. Yet, they all give the IMPRESSION, they've been licensed forever.

It's my fun new party game! VanityHq.com is good spot to look up callsigns, much better than the zed.

W2NAP
02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
An off topic question- Is it my imagination, or are a lot of the "frequency parkers" new hams? I started googling callsigns of some of the clowns I hear on 75 at night, and a lot of these guys with shiny cool 1x2 or 2x1 callsigns haven't been licensed very long. Yet, they all give the IMPRESSION, they've been licensed forever.

It's my fun new party game! VanityHq.com is good spot to look up callsigns, much better than the zed.

nope, ive caught a couple of them myself. freq. is dead someone asks it is in use, someone jumps right up says its in use. and pisses and moans about how dare you ask. everyone should know our damn net is here every night and starts in a hour, look up the call. recent issue. and some are long timers.

but will piss and moan if you use that freq 2 hours before the worthless net begins.

WØTKX
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
I messed with VanityHQ for a while. Looking up 1x3's (I like them best). I "discovered" an old Elmer's callsign (did not know of it when I knew him), and it was perfect. Has rhythm on CW, and good phonetics for phone.

1x3 is cool and retro, the "expert newbies" are not interested... they want that "Extra Callsign".

If I ever bother to upgrade, I'm keeping this one.

K7SGJ
02-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Holy shit. Not another effing contest. It's the same damn thing every GD weekend. Not only does it wreak havoc with the sail mail, it's impossible to have a decent QSO with Chuckles. Oh wait. Doesn't matter what is or is not happening you can never have a decent QSO with that twit. Never mind.....

KJ3N
02-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Not only does it wreak havoc with the sail mail, it's impossible to have a decent QSO with Chuckles. Oh wait. Doesn't matter what is or is not happening you can never have a decent QSO with that twit. Never mind.....

:rofl:

N8YX
02-18-2012, 07:05 AM
I'll have to see about working this one /bicycle mobile - going to go for a long ride today if the weather cooperates. Suppose I ought to look into an FT-817 for the bikes, given the amount of time I spend riding. 10/12/15M QRP might be doable with favorable propagation and a rack-mounted, loaded multiband vertical such as an Opek or Outbacker. Either antenna is light enough and small enough for this application. One can always trail a wire counterpoise behind the bike while in motion. :chin:

ETA: Posting from a tablet sucks!

My bets are that someone's RTTY or PSK ox will be gored by 0000 UTC this evening and we'll hear all about it...

KB3LIX
02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Let em whine...I just like to egg them on.

Maybe I can get one or more to blow a gasket and end up
in a casket !

Hey, that rhymes !

ki4itv
02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Just mention a contest and Bill shows up like clockwork.
Hi Bill! FM17fp ;)

KJ3N
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, Ron, we're over half way into a CW contest and this (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?334282-CW-contesting) is as close as it has come to a Bitchfest.

Told ya so. :neener: :neener:

The whining and crying will start in 2 weeks when ARRL DX SSB comes around. :lol:

W5GA
02-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Damned contesters....started doing their thing and made me work some new band counters on 10 and 15m. Of all the nerve!

WX7P
02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Damned contesters....started doing their thing and made me work some new band counters on 10 and 15m. Of all the nerve!

When? Yesterday? or now?

NQ6U
02-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Contests are teh ebil.

W5GA
02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
When? Yesterday? or now?
Both!

W3WN
02-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Well, Ron, we're over half way into a CW contest and this (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?334282-CW-contesting) is as close as it has come to a Bitchfest.

Told ya so. :neener: :neener:

The whining and crying will start in 2 weeks when ARRL DX SSB comes around. :lol:Yes, courtesy of this hot dog, we have a wiener.

Sorry; I just relish the pun.

Actually, there's not the usual level of kvetching in that thread. Some, but not much. But The Beard From Texass, Guru of AX.25, has yet to make an appearance, just give him time.

W3WN
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
And the ARRL DX Contest SSB is this upcoming weekend, so here we go again.

Since it's the voice side, there will be more kvetching than there was on CW.

Place your bets, place your bets!

KJ3N
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Sorry, Ron, but the KC0W made a pre-emptive strike (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?336032-ARRL-Inter-DX-Contest-SSB-QRMtesters-Wrecking-the-Bands-all-Weekend-Long). All bets are off. :rofl:

W3WN
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Ladies, Gentlemen, and ex-islanders of questionable ethics and/or gender... The betting windows are closed.

The contest is roughly 32 hours away -- that's right, it's a day and a half away from starting -- and ALREADY the whining has begun...
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?336032-ARRL-Inter-DX-Contest-SSB-QRMtesters-Wrecking-the-Bands-all-Weekend-Long

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?336032-ARRL-Inter-DX-Contest-SSB-QRMtesters-Wrecking-the-Bands-all-Weekend-Long

W3WN
03-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry, Ron, but the KC0W made a pre-emptive strike (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?336032-ARRL-Inter-DX-Contest-SSB-QRMtesters-Wrecking-the-Bands-all-Weekend-Long). All bets are off. :rofl:
Started to write this, got interrupted, so you ended up beating me to it.

So it goes.

WN9HJW
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Deleted

KJ3N
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't usually participate in the SSB contests, but often I'll dial in 14.300, the "International Center of Emergency Communications Frequency" or whatever it is they call it these days to make the nets there sound important, and just monitor while I'm doing other things in my office. Sometimes it gets funny.

It's still a classic! :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIm14Jk12nI

W2NAP
03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
made a few contacts already all of them DX contacts....

OH GOD! I'M one of them snobby ops who don't work US stations!

K7SGJ
03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Shit man, you guys and your contests, messing up the bands all weekend long. All for a 5 second QSO so you can lie to each other about your piss poor signals. This crap shoul be stopped. NOW. And don't even think about taking it to the WARC bands, it's nice and quiet there all the time. Don't fuck it up. I like the way it was in the old days. You could tune anywhere you wanted, and no signals were around to bother you. That's why I liked the cricket net.

KJ3N
03-02-2012, 08:42 PM
^^lulz^^

N8YX
03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
I've got all weekend to play radioclean the house, so I should be around a mic sometime during the event.

KC9ECI
03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I've got nothing special going on either so I may be in and out of the shack all day. Next weekend the wife and kidling will be off to the Mall of America leaving me home alone. The timing couldn't be better. Saturday is the annual equipment auction by the Eau Claire amateur radio club and Saturday is the WI QSO Party.

N2RJ
03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I would have added to the QRM myself but I have a nasty cold. So I'm merely helping others...

NQ6U
03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I would have added to the QRM myself but I have a nasty cold.

You too? I've been sick for a month now—I was finally getting over one when I caught another.

KC9ECI
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I went down and trolled around on 10M for a bit. Worked a few, nothing special. Might go back in later. Just enjoying some jiffy pop with extra butter and salt and some homebrewed soda at the moment. Might break out the Netflix when the wife and kid go do some girl scout stuff later. Pointless to try to watch TV when they're around making noise.

N2RJ
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
This is the first and hopefully last for the season. I bypassed the rest with a flu shot but this one somehow got by my defenses.

Regardless I'm feeling much better today so I'm pressing on with the contest.

N2RJ
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
14.300 live stream, complete with QRM:

http://14300.net/avlinks.html

KJ3N
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM
14.300 live stream, complete with QRM:

http://14300.net/avlinks.html

:sleep: :sleep:

:bfd:

KC9ECI
03-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I just got on 14.3, turned the gain back a bit and tightened up the filters a bit and had no issues with contest QRM.

N2RJ
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I just got on 14.3, turned the gain back a bit and tightened up the filters a bit and had no issues with contest QRM.

Me neither but they want something like 5kc on each side of them free of any activity so they won't have any "interference."

Personally I think them wanting to own even a single frequency is a bit much...

N2RJ
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Speaking of a single frequency, 14.313 is epic lulz right about now.

W3WN
03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I would have added to the QRM myself but I have a nasty cold. So I'm merely helping others...
Oh? I would have sworn I heard your call thrown in there a time or two on Saturday.

...yeah, there's something going around. I had to crash for part of Friday evening, yesterday wasn't too bad, but I've felt better. Caught up to me this afternoon, I ended up quitting around 4 instead of going the distance...

KJ3N
03-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I wasn't sick, but I might as well had been. I didn't miss much this year. Conditions were just plain awful. :yuck:

Even Tom gave up (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?336032-ARRL-Inter-DX-Contest-SSB-QRMtesters-Wrecking-the-Bands-all-Weekend-Long&p=2484395#post2484395).

N2RJ
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Oh? I would have sworn I heard your call thrown in there a time or two on Saturday.

...yeah, there's something going around. I had to crash for part of Friday evening, yesterday wasn't too bad, but I've felt better. Caught up to me this afternoon, I ended up quitting around 4 instead of going the distance...

Yeah when I mean I'm helping others I mean I'm giving out points - i.e. S&P/

W3WN
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Yeah when I mean I'm helping others I mean I'm giving out points - i.e. S&P/Ah. I see.

Without an amp or a beam, I find it tough to hang onto a frequency. So just about all I do is S&P these days.

Years ago, at the old QTH, I used get my run frequency clobbered by a certain multi-multi located about an hour north and 15 minutes west of here. Interesting tactic that they'd use... they'd park about 2 kHz above me, and in the course of about 10 minutes, every QSO or two they'd slide a fraction lower, until they were right on top of me. If I ever complained (and I learned long ago that it was useless) I'd be told that "we never heard you, propagation." Yeah, right. Once I could believe it, but when it happens a dozen times over the weekend on 3 different bands...

They were even snarkier in the WPX contests. They'd work me on my run frequency for the WN3 prefix, THEN slide up a few kc and pull the same stunt. Even if you were willing to suspend disbelief and think propagation had shifted, if you'd just worked me, and could still hear the pile-up (such as it was) calling me, how could you NOT know I (or at least someone) was there?

Oh well. That was then. Now if I can just get my hands on a good hex beam this spring...

N2RJ
03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Fuck it...

N8YX
03-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Fuck it...

What did I miss now?

KC9ECI
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
What did I miss now?

Same thing I did it would seem.

K7SGJ
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Fuck it...

First, I need to know what IT is. And not the B Clinton version, either.

W3WN
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
First, I need to know what IT is. And not the B Clinton version, either.All I know is, if that man ever offers you a cigar, think twice before smoking it... you never know where it's been...

K7SGJ
03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Probably a tiny bit better than those Mississippi crooks that are dipped in rum. Nah, on second thought, I'll take the MC that has been smoked to a nub, been laying in the gutter, and been pissed on by a pack of urban wolf, blitzers.

KC9ECI
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/405

Funny, I don't recall hearing any contesters on 17M?

You all think 14.3 will be open for me tomorrow for the WI QSO Party?

KJ3N
03-10-2012, 06:54 PM
http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/405

Same whiny rant from a MMSN Net Cop. BFD. We hear this BS every fucking year. :bfd:

Funny, I don't recall hearing any contesters on 17M?

I think he pulled that one out of his ass. :roll:

You all think 14.3 will be open for me tomorrow for the WI QSO Party?

They don't care. Take it to the system. ;)

N8YX
03-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Buncha whiny-assed frequency squattersmasterboaters is what that outfit is. :roll:

W3WN
03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I like how he blames "ARRL Contesters." Right. Sure. Considering that there are only TWO ARRL sponsored contests, ARRL DX SSB & Sweepstakes SSB... ok, make it THREE events if you throw in Field Day, which is not a contest... right... that directly impact, theoretically, their frequency, that's quite a stretch.

Same old, same old.

I seem to recall hearing about this crap from them when I was one of the operators of K3CR in my first contests, back in college. I don't want to tell you how far back that was...

...barefoot, in two feet of snow, uphill, both ways...

Well, I just politely challenged some of the assertions in those posts. Let's see what happens. I'm sure that my license class, manner in which I took my exam, code speed I passed, vanity call, and other personal habits are about to be challenged.

N8YX
03-11-2012, 07:50 AM
You ought to throw out the ol' "On any given day, how many checkins to the MMSN are actually /MM?" line and see how that goes over. :whistle:

KC9ECI
03-26-2012, 09:40 PM
There have been replies! http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/405 N9HTZ isn't happy but still seems deluded about 17M being full of contesters.

W3WN
03-26-2012, 10:40 PM
There have been replies! http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/405 N9HTZ isn't happy but still seems deluded about 17M being full of contesters.
Not happy? Why, those damn contesters ruined his 17 meter net! And don't tell him there are no contesters on 17, he knows better, and don't call him a liar!

Delusional.

He needs a kindred spirit... wonder if he likes tacos?

N8YX
03-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Not happy? Why, those damn contesters ruined his 17 meter net! And don't tell him there are no contesters on 17, he knows better, and don't call him a liar!

Delusional.

He needs a kindred spirit... wonder if he likes tacos?
One candidate individual was posting quite frequently in yet another QRZ whinerama this past weekend.

KB3LAZ
03-28-2012, 12:40 AM
I happen to like nets. I dont contest often but I do now and again. Whats with the Hatfield McCoy bit? Never understood why people are so full of hate, one way or the other. Contests are not more important than a net or vice versa.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
I happen to like nets. I dont contest often but I do now and again. Whats with the Hatfield McCoy bit? Never understood why people are so full of hate, one way or the other. Contests are not more important than a net or vice versa.Some people get very proprietary when it comes to their nets. They MUST meet every day (week) at the SAME time on the SAME frequency. Woe be it to anyone who is using THEIR frequency first.

It's nothing new. I saw it back in 1981 & '82 with N3ADU(SK) & the WPa Phone & Traffic Net. Dale through a fit when a father & son were conversing on 3983 at 6 PM -- at the time, the net started at 6:15 -- and ordered them off. (One of the two was in Florida for the week, the other was 'home' in our neck of the woods). He didn't do it very nicely. Needless to say, the next day, the 'home' station was back on, complete with KW, and they made a point of staying put until just after the official start of the net, just to make a point. (Dale seethed about that incident for months).

Same with the infamous MMSN, the 3905 Century Club & OMISS nets, the Geritol Net, the Pig Farmers Personal Medical Discussion Nets, and so on... they feel that they've "staked out" their territory, and no one else can intrude. Well, guess what guys, the FCC says otherwise. To say nothing of the laws of physics and the vagaries of propagation & solar pimples.

N8YX
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
The root cause of the latest round of whining?

"Imma cheap-ass and don't want to upgrade my entry-level (in 1976) rig, so I should have a totally open band that won't tax its filtering!"

Are people really that selfish...and that stupid?

KJ3N
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM

"Imma cheap-ass and don't want to upgrade my entry-level (in 1976) rig, so I should have a totally open band that won't tax its filtering!"

Yeah, well, blow me! ;)

Are people really that selfish...and that stupid?

Yep. It is QRDead, after all.

N8YX
03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, well, blow me! ;)
Thanks but no thanks; I prefer blonde chicks with blue eyes and big tist.

Yep. It is QRDead, after all.

They're now threatening to strap softly and turn up the wick. Max smoke. Damn sure.

Can anyone clue me in as to how that's going to help their receiver problems?

ki4itv
03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Tist, tist, tist.... :lol:

KC2UGV
03-28-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm wondering how he heard contestors on 17m. I am not aware of any contest that will award points for any contacts on a WARC band...

ki4itv
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm wondering how he heard contestors on 17m. I am not aware of any contest that will award points for any contacts on a WARC band...

Hey, we all know contesters waste their time on bands that won't be counted in the results.

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I think I'm going to do a special event to celebrate contesting. I'm only going to work the WARC bands. Then I can call CQ contest on 17M.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Are people really that selfish...and that stupid?In the case of PE1RDW: Yup. To both.

In fact, I think the jackass (sorry, apologies to the jackasses out there) schmuck is actually proud that he running equipment that's not capable of rejecting strong signals anywhere in the vicinity of his operating frequency.

Now AC4BB, is neither selfish nor stupid. He just doesn't like contesters and will twist anything you say to support that position; he doesn't even notice (or care) that he's often contradicting himself, when you compare his posts.

I do "like" how he's threatened to jam Fred on several occasions. A real candidate for coax pinning, presuming he'd notice. A different sort, but another schmuck.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I've got it! His radio is sold old, the display is malfunctioning and is showing the wrong frequency! After all, the man can't be wrong, can he?

/rhetorical

W3WN
03-28-2012, 07:20 PM
H P Maximpads (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339508-Can-we-have-an-HF-band-without-contesters&p=2506686#post2506686)?!? :evil:

Perfect!

Fred: +10

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
I feel so dirty. http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339946-Petition-Calling-for-removal-of-14-296-thru-14-304-from-ARRL-CONTEST

I'm going to go take a shower until the hot water runs out.

N8YX
03-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I do "like" how he's threatened to jam Fred on several occasions. A real candidate for coax pinning, presuming he'd notice. A different sort, but another schmuck.

As I stated in at least one of those posts:

I've danced the dance with Radio Moscow back in the day...when their megawatt-plus transmitters could be found every 10KHz from 7105 and up. Could (and did) work S2 signals at damn near zero beat with them...but it takes a lot more radio than a stock TS-520S to pull it off.

If the person in question gets caught jamming anyone, he gets a complaint filed against him...and may lose his license. I simply don't care - what I have in the way of receivers and steerable antennas will simply disappear anything in the way of QRM I encounter.

N8YX
03-28-2012, 07:39 PM
H P Maximpads (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339508-Can-we-have-an-HF-band-without-contesters&p=2506686#post2506686)?!? :evil:

Perfect!

Fred: +10

There's a bunch of sandy manginas over yonder.

KJ3N
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
"Another One Bites the Dust!"

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339508-Can-we-have-an-HF-band-without-contesters&p=2506884#post2506884

:rofl:

N8YX
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Don't worry. A similar thread will be along to replace that one.

They can't quit it, Heath.

KJ3N
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Don't worry. A similar thread will be along to replace that one.

They can't quit it, Heath.

BTW, feel free to use it (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339946-Petition-Calling-for-removal-of-14-296-thru-14-304-from-ARRL-CONTEST&p=2506822#post2506822). :snicker:

W3WN
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, it was circling the drain as it was.

Gotta love the "logic" though... he has a sub-standard rig that can't reject nearby strong signals, but that's not HIS fault or IT'S fault, it's those damn contesters using the bands!

Hey... I have a TS-520 sitting here. It was a nice rig in it's day. I even fire it up every now & then. But run it on the air duing a major contest, even if I'm not participating? It's going to get blown out of the water. I would expect no less.

And as was discussed, that's why I ditched that TS-480SAT. The bells & whistles don't make up for performance deficiencies. 'nuff said.

ki4itv
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Now AC4BB, is neither selfish nor stupid. He just doesn't like contesters and will twist anything you say to support that position; he doesn't even notice (or care) that he's often contradicting himself, when you compare his posts.

That SOB consistently had the worst PSK signals of anyone I've ever seen. He's also a Macro-bot.
Nice guy on the air when he actually chews a little...but, kinda reluctant to respond when he called. Especially after I figured out he knew more about his signal than I did.
...Ugly doesn't look good on me does it?