PDA

View Full Version : Tootsie update

w2amr
02-17-2012, 04:38 AM
The deaf cat I took in last Sept ,was still shaking her head and digging at her ear so I took her to the vet . After tests, the vet said Toots had infections in both ears. For the past two weeks I have been putting drops in her ears twice a day, and I have to swab out the debris with Q tips every other day. Now, if you come up behind her and call her she turns around. I guess she couldn't hear because of the infection, and the crud that was packed in her ear canals. Woo Hoo, Tootsie can hear again. :dance:

ad4mg
02-17-2012, 07:19 AM
:clap: FB!

But now you can't sneak up on her ... :-D

KC2UGV
02-17-2012, 07:39 AM
This is awesome news :)

WV6Z
02-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Holy shit! Great news George!

KK4AMI
02-17-2012, 08:22 AM
My sympathies to Tootsie. I know how she felt. I lost my hearing for a week last spring because of an infection. Wasn't fun and I was worried it was going to be permanent. Luckily, the Doc fixed me up with Steroids and it came right back three days later.

K7SGJ
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Good show. When he hears what he's been missing, he'll probably want his ears plugged back up.

What? Eh? Hows zat? Beg your pardon. Huh? Say wut?

PA5COR
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
+ 100000000 for Toots ;)

w2amr
02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Tnx guys. I'll be glad when the medicine is done, It's a real wrestling match try to get these drops in her ears every day.

N8YX
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
We had to get the entire right ear of one of ours cored and sutured up due to a polyp and massive infection - this acquired while the cat was still feral. Glad you caught Tootsie's ailment in time to do something about it.

KB3LAZ
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Tnx guys. I'll be glad when the medicine is done, It's a real wrestling match try to get these drops in her ears every day.

I can imagine. My dog got into it with a possum and got his eye sliced open pretty good. For 30 days I had to put antibiotic drops in his eye 3x a day. After that I had to put steroid drops in his eyes for 30 days 2x a day. He fought me the whole 60 days.

w2amr
02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Every day I take her out to the front yard to walk around for a while. While outside, she has to wear her lamp shade to keep dirt out of her ears. She isn't too happy about that either, but does tolerate it.

w2amr
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
We had to get the entire right ear of one of ours cored and sutured up due to a polyp and massive infection - this acquired while the cat was still feral.I can't imagine what the vet bill must have been for that.

KG4CGC
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Good job! Cats are very sensitive to stuff in the ears.

w2amr
02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Good job! Cats are very sensitive to stuff in the ears.I guess if she hasn't bitten me by now, I'm safe.

KG4CGC
02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Cats are people.

NQ6U
02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Cats are people.

No, they think that people are cats.

KG4CGC
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
No, they think that people are cats.

But we know that they're people.

w2amr
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
The lamp shade doesn't stop her from gettng her rays.

KC9ECI
02-17-2012, 04:12 PM
No, cats know that people are their servants.

N8YX
02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I can't imagine what the vet bill must have been for that.

Between that procedure and everything else we've had to do to keep him going, I imagine we've got the equivalent of a fully loaded K3 tied up in that cat.

Thankfully, our other two are perfectly healthy. Just a routine checkup here and there.

w2amr
02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Between that procedure and everything else we've had to do to keep him going, I imagine we've got the equivalent of a fully loaded K3 tied up in that cat.

The vet is even worse than an MD, Most people don't have pet insurance.

WØTKX
02-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Excellent George!

I've had to do eye drops and nose drops to kitties, and it's pretty dramatic. I like rolling them up tightly in a big folded beach towel.
Leave the head sticking out. Pisses them off, but it avoids scratches and escaping before the treatment is done.

Tootsie is a cool looking brindle style feline. Even with the lampshade.

NQ6U
02-17-2012, 07:36 PM
When Tootsie's done with it, you should try making some microwave EME QSOs with that collar.

WX7P
02-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Excellent George!

I've had to do eye drops and nose drops to kitties, and it's pretty dramatic. I like rolling them up tightly in a big folded beach towel.
Leave the head sticking out. Pisses them off, but it avoids scratches and escaping before the treatment is done.

Tootsie is a cool looking brindle style feline. Even with the lampshade.

She's also probably a trained assassin.

My sig line's mother was small calico like Tootsie. Fraidy has dispatched many voles and gophers in her day, even though she doesn't see well.

NA4BH
02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
The vet is even worse than an MD, Most people don't have pet insurance.

Your Tootsie looks a lot like my Stoops cat. Dumbest/best cat I have ever seen. Stoops is my buddy, she'll walk with you just like a dog (no leash).

WØTKX
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
My cat walks with me, and he is also leash trained (with a harness).

He's a bit of a "cat-dog".

http://www.deviantart.com/download/99880497/Catdog_by_stitch_666.jpg

K7SGJ
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
My cat walks with me, and he is also leash trained (with a harness).

He's a bit of a "cat-dog".

http://www.deviantart.com/download/99880497/Catdog_by_stitch_666.jpg

Loved that show. The kids and I used to watch that, Sponge Bob, and Pinky and the Brain all the time. They've grown up and moved on, but the dogs still watch it with me.

WØTKX
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Angry Beavers was hilarious too.

w0aew
02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Angry Beavers was hilarious too.

Hey now...sexist talk like that's verboten here.

WØTKX
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Benefits for Nut-less Squirrels... :snicker:

http://youtu.be/8GuiAAEfAkU (http://youtu.be/8GuiAAEfAkU)

http://youtu.be/8GuiAAEfAkU

w2amr
02-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Took Toots back to the vet for a follow up yesterday. The ear infections are gone , she got all of her shots, and she got a clean bill of health. When I took her in off the street , she weighed about 6 lbs, she is now over 10 lbs.

PA5COR
02-28-2012, 06:53 AM
:clap::clap:^:clap::clap:

I love good news, now enjoy her being in good health!

N8YX
02-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Feeding them has that effect. Our Manx/tuxedo cross is around 15 lbs at the moment, which is more than double what he weighed when I "appropriated" him from life in da gutter.

K7SGJ
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
It's the same thing with kids. If you feed them, they will grow. Go figure.

PA5COR
02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Must have overfed my son then, he's 6 feet 6 inches tall.
Luckily i'm one inch shy of 7 feet, so i'm still taller ;)

W3WN
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Took Toots back to the vet for a follow up yesterday. The ear infections are gone , she got all of her shots, and she got a clean bill of health. When I took her in off the street , she weighed about 6 lbs, she is now over 10 lbs.
Better keep my mother away from her.

... when we were still in High School, one day my brother brought home a kitten courtesy of the roundhouse cat at the NH&I. Smokey lived to be about 18, and in his later years, he weighed over 20 pounds, close to 25. He was so fat, he could not scratch behind his ears, as he couldn't get his rear legs around his belly. Despite this, my mother fed him. And fed him. And fed him. Yes, he was spoiled rotten. She'd buy a pound of kosher beef salami just for him; when I came home to visit, his food (like the salami) was off limits...

w2amr
02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Better keep my mother away from her.

... when we were still in High School, one day my brother brought home a kitten courtesy of the roundhouse cat at the NH&I. Smokey lived to be about 18, and in his later years, he weighed over 20 pounds, close to 25. He was so fat, he could not scratch behind his ears, as he couldn't get his rear legs around his belly. Despite this, my mother fed him. And fed him. And fed him. Yes, he was spoiled rotten. She'd buy a pound of kosher beef salami just for him; when I came home to visit, his food (like the salami) was off limits...She is just about at the right weight now, time to cut back on the treats.

w2amr
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
:clap::clap:^:clap::clap:

I love good news, now enjoy her being in good health!All the way to the vet she scratched at the cat carrier door to get out. Once there, I took her out and let her walk around the room. When the vet came in to the room , she started scratching at the cat carrier door to get back inside.:mrgreen:

K7SGJ
02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
All the way to the vet she scratched at the cat carrier door to get out. Once there, I took her out and let her walk around the room. When the vet came in to the room , she started scratching at the cat carrier door to get back inside.:mrgreen:

I do the same thing at the Drs. office. I've been known to piss on the floor behind the door, too.

kf0rt
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I do the same thing at the Drs. office. I've been known to piss on the floor behind the door, too.

Yeah, but can you sing Moon River?

w2amr
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Feeding them has that effect. Our Manx/tuxedo cross is around 15 lbs at the moment, which is more than double what he weighed when I "appropriated" him from life in da gutter.When I first brought her home, I think she was too sick to eat. Once the cut in her mouth healed ,she started packing it away.

PA5COR
02-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Our 3 cats have a different caracter.
One is docile, "do you really want to do that?" and with a sad look in the eyes turned away from me "Oh well, if you insist" will go to the vet.
18 Years old now... as wiith no 2 both decided to come live with us...
The other needs at leeast 3 mammoth thick bathtowels or risk shredding your hands and arms.... 17 years old, even the vet is quite upset seeing him...

No 3 3/4 Maine Coon, bit shy, and 99% of the time on my lap, or trying to get there sneaky as always, or at least have some form of contact and is 5 years old now, the only cat we chose to get in the house as our choice.
We don't make a difference we love them all just as much.
Vet costs are high as usual, but then we could have chosen not to have cats, so pay up.....next year there is another flea market....:roll:

KG4CGC
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Great news ♥

K7SGJ
02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but can you sing Moon River?

Not unless I'm nekkid.

kb2vxa
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
"When the vet came in to the room , she started scratching at the cat carrier door to get back inside."

Kitteh not stupid. Just give me time to figure out the latch.

w2amr
02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Our 3 cats have a different caracter.
One is docile, "do you really want to do that?" and with a sad look in the eyes turned away from me "Oh well, if you insist" will go to the vet.
18 Years old now... as wiith no 2 both decided to come live with us...
The other needs at leeast 3 mammoth thick bathtowels or risk shredding your hands and arms.... 17 years old, even the vet is quite upset seeing him...

No 3 3/4 Maine Coon, bit shy, and 99% of the time on my lap, or trying to get there sneaky as always, or at least have some form of contact and is 5 years old now, the only cat we chose to get in the house as our choice.
We don't make a difference we love them all just as much.
Vet costs are high as usual, but then we could have chosen not to have cats, so pay up.....next year there is another flea market....:roll:
I know what you mean. It costs us quite a bit every month to keep Leyna going, but it's worth every penny.

KG4CGC
03-01-2012, 05:55 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/funny-pictures-every-single-time.jpg

N8YX
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
'DSG took our Siberian in for a teeth cleaning and overall checkup yesterday. Another installment of "Free cat, my a$$!"

PA5COR
03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Last year bills for all 3 cats including the mandatory shots and some "extra" care € 800.- or just over 1 K dollars...
Problem is if need be I would sell the FT 2000 D to pay for an operation that is needed.....

kb2vxa
03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Oh yeah, I KNOW the feeling. (;->)

K7SGJ
03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Last year bills for all 3 cats including the mandatory shots and some "extra" care € 800.- or just over 1 K dollars...
Problem is if need be I would sell the FT 2000 D to pay for an operation that is needed.....

We've been through that, too Cor. But ours are dogs. Last year was a rough year. We had two that got so bad that they could not be saved. So, we finally had to put them down. One was 12 the other 14. We had them since day one. It was over the holidays, too. One of the others was struck by a rattlesnake last summer and emergency plus regular vet fees cost us nearly $4K to save her. Some people would say we are nuts and should have just taken them out back and shot them. We always had the philosophy that we are their caretakers, and are responsible for their health and well being, to the best of our ability; financially as well as physically. All they need to do in return is return the love, which they have always done, unconditionally. We, too, would do whatever was necessary to try to get them back to good health. Failing that, it is our responsibility to insure they do not suffer or endure a life that they cannot enjoy. I've known many who are selfish, and will keep an animal alive because it's too hard for them, the owner, to let them go. Bullshit.

kf0rt
03-02-2012, 10:28 PM
We've been through that, too Cor. But ours are dogs. Last year was a rough year. We had two that got so bad that they could not be saved. So, we finally had to put them down. One was 12 the other 14. We had them since day one. It was over the holidays, too. One of the others was struck by a rattlesnake last summer and emergency plus regular vet fees cost us nearly $4K to save her. Some people would say we are nuts and should have just taken them out back and shot them. We always had the philosophy that we are their caretakers, and are responsible for their health and well being, to the best of our ability; financially as well as physically. All they need to do in return is return the love, which they have always done, unconditionally. We, too, would do whatever was necessary to try to get them back to good health. Failing that, it is our responsibility to insure they do not suffer or endure a life that they cannot enjoy. I've known many who are selfish, and will keep an animal alive because it's too hard for them, the owner, to let them go. Bullshit.

Gotta counter this a bit, Eddie.

Do understand it all, but there are limits and i do love the pets (dogs in particular, but cats are cool, too).

I work in a place that is dog-friendly. That is, we're allowed to bring dogs to work as long as it doesn't cause real problems. Most of us love this.

A couple years ago, we had a guy who brought his aged border collie there. She was well received, but after a year or two was in poor health. Great dog, but age caught up with her. For about a year, this dog's owner prolonged her life through vet visits. I brought her biscuits and watched her decline. She spent a year in pure hell because her owners wouldn't let go. This isn't about the dog; it's all about the ego of the owner.

Agree that it's best to do what you can, but too many of us push this far beyond what is best for the dog. Some of what I've seen borders on torture when compassion would be the better route.

KC2UGV
03-02-2012, 11:17 PM

You're not nuts. They are your kids, after all....

KC2UGV
03-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Gotta counter this a bit, Eddie.

Do understand it all, but there are limits and i do love the pets (dogs in particular, but cats are cool, too).

I work in a place that is dog-friendly. That is, we're allowed to bring dogs to work as long as it doesn't cause real problems. Most of us love this.

A couple years ago, we had a guy who brought his aged border collie there. She was well received, but after a year or two was in poor health. Great dog, but age caught up with her. For about a year, this dog's owner prolonged her life through vet visits. I brought her biscuits and watched her decline. She spent a year in pure hell because her owners wouldn't let go. This isn't about the dog; it's all about the ego of the owner.

Agree that it's best to do what you can, but too many of us push this far beyond what is best for the dog. Some of what I've seen borders on torture when compassion would be the better route.

If only we could get this attitude about humans as well :(

PA5COR
03-03-2012, 03:42 AM
I thought we spend money last year Edward.... but i know how you think, we don't do different.
Taking responsabilety of having animals is the norm, and respect for that.
A few years back i had to put down a special cat tha developped cancer, and after an expensive operation it became clear there was no further hope.
I cried my eyes out when i was at the vet keeping her in my arms when she was put to the last sleep.
She looked at me and i could see she knew what happened and was thankfull to be freed from her sufferng, i took her home and as the other animals she's burried in the garden.

For me it is that time when the pet starts to suffer and there is no hope anymore that there is a definitife cure.
I don't mind what the operations cost, as said i'll sell all my radio stuff if need be.
Great minds think alike... ;)

Take care, hoping you and the pets will have a happy and healthy life.
Sometimes i think becoming older i like animals more as people....at leeast they are honest.