PDA

View Full Version : Reliving the 1970's

n2ize
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Normally with respect to entertainment I am locked in 1950's and early 60's but of late I've been catching up on a lot of great 1970's movies on UTube . "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974) , "Glass House" (1972), "Bug" (1975), "Terror on the Beach" (1974), "Crawlspace" (1972) and tons of other semi-rare "made for tv" movies of the 70's. That hitchhiker in the Texas Chainsaw movie, I swear he reminds me of someone I knew... Anyway these films brings back great memories of what a fascinating time the 1970's were. And my God, how tacky were the styles and furnishings of the 70's. Bright solid color shag carpeting, wall paneling, drop tile ceilings, push button wall phones,... YIKES... some ghastly stuff. And somehow I survived that era.

Anyone have a favorite 1970's movie or show ?

NQ6U
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
I was largely engaged in viewing another type of image entirely through the majority of the Seventies.

W1GUH
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Yep, the 70's were a very interesting time. Too bad they had a tragic ending -- ronnie and the 80's. TV shows? Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore for two.

In those days, head shops were as commonplace and middle of the road as coffee joints are today. Pot was in suburbia & people really didn't care who got high and who didn't. You could get a great bong in a Mall! (Ah...Smuggler's Attick in the Willowbrook Mall, Wayne, NJ.)

Then there was radio and the final days of great underground progressive FM stations. Had 'NEW and 'PLJ in NY. On 'NEW...Scott Muni, Dennis Elsis, Richard Meer... great music and great raps! Heard fuckin' GREAT stuff in '74 -- some songs I heard once on the radio and never again, but they were gems. One was Harry Chapin's "Halfway to Heaven" from Verities and Balderdash. Another was Billy Joel's "Suburban Showdown" from Steetlife Serenader. Freakin' GREAT lyrics! Pity that album from Mr. Joel has been lost in the shuffle -- great stories and commentary about life in the late 60's and early 70's, and Suburban Showdown was about flying home after being in LA, probably recording the album.

n2ize
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I was largely engaged in viewing another type of image entirely through the majority of the Seventies.

Yeah, but unfortunately I can;t find those types of images on UTube. :)

W1GUH
02-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Lileks did a great job on this site about 70's interior design (http://www.lileks.com/institute/interiors/71book/index.html). Enjoy!

Caveat -- you can spend lots of time exploring his stuff.

W1GUH
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
And 70' movies....

The Passenger (Antonioni flick with Jack Nicholson. IMHO, far and away his best role. But then, I LOVE Antonioni!)
Shampoo Warren Baetty & Julie Christie!
Barry Lyndon Stanley Kubrick -- luscious, gorgeous cinematography
One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest
Shaft
etc.

NQ6U
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
And 70' movies....

The Passenger (Antonioni flick with Jack Nicholson. IMHO, far and away his best role. But then, I LOVE Antonioni!)
Shaft
etc.

Don't forget McCabe & Mrs. Miller: Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, directed by Robert Altman. It's on Roger Ebert's Great Movies list (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19991114/REVIEWS08/911140301/1023).

W1GUH
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks! one I mssed. But with that line-up, it's a must.

n2ize
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
And 70' movies....

Shaft
etc.

Death Wish !!

n2ize
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Yep, the 70's were a very interesting time. Too bad they had a tragic ending -- ronnie and the 80's. TV shows? Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore for two.

In those days, head shops were as commonplace and middle of the road as coffee joints are today. Pot was in suburbia & people really didn't care who got high and who didn't. You could get a great bong in a Mall! (Ah...Smuggler's Attick in the Willowbrook Mall, Wayne, NJ.)

Yeah, I remember those days. it was a time where people felt it was col to live and let live. If you wanted to get high people would just leave you alone as long as you weren't bothering them.

The head shops were great. I remember some awesome head shops with a beautiful array of drug paraphenelia. Then came the ronnie era of the nanny state and out went the head shops... Think of the children !!

kb2vxa
02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I remember Scott Mono, Dennis Elsewere, Richard Meercat and the year that Scotso was PD he gave the jocks a free hand in programming. That year 102.7 hit the zenith of rock and through her career Alyson Steel "The Night Bird" added more to my NY Underground collection than she ever could have guessed with those 3 record sets and album sides with 3 second cue spots between everything. She knew her music too, we had many long phone conversations I'll never forget.

Can't forget PLJ either, Zachele "The Cool Ghoul" applied his talent and experience from his days hosting Disc O Teen on channel 47 quite successfully. The only thing I didn't like was the crappy audio, clipping distortion and WAY too much compression tended to give ear bleed.

Yeah, those were the days (late nights actually) I'd just spark one up, lay back, close my eyes and ride the music. Rumors flew fast and thick too, so many thought Alyson smoked in the studio because she played head music. Let me tell you it was entirely false, no way could a jock get high and handle the board let alone all the rest they do. Any jock or anyone who has sat in can tell you the studio is a busy place better described as master control, the room where it all happens... all at once with no margin for error. Back then there was no such thing as computer automation with everything on hard drive!

"The head shops were great."
Yeah, I had to go down to The Inner Circle looking for one. Head, head, give me head. I've got a great body but I've got no head!

n2ize
02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
"The head shops were great."
Yeah, I had to go down to The Inner Circle looking for one. Head, head, give me head. I've got a great body but I've got no head!

I would love to run a head shop. Head shops were great places, if not for what they sold, they were awesome places to hang out and meet and talk with like minded people. Too bad these days the world is dominated by sterile yuppies and family values crap spawned by reagan. Bring back the cool people and places, the head shops, and all the good stuff.

W1GUH
02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
And the incense was wonderful!!!!

Back to NY radio in the 70's. WNCN was a classical station and one of the hosts was Bill Watson. His rap was funny, sensitive, interesting, and downright entertaining. Here's his obit. (http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/21/nyregion/william-watson-eccentric-host-of-classical-music-is-dead-at-77.html) R.i.P, Bill.

More 70's stuff.

For me, the defining moments of the 70's was the glitter (punk and/or disco) vs. flannel (rock). The beginning of the end. Gotta admit, tho', that I actully had a "glitter" belt -- flashy and very thin. Guys wore them in jeans.

And in those days, you could smoke pot openly in the clubs. Went to a bunch of concerts at The Bottom Line. Smoking joints was the same as smoking cigarettes. Just light 'em up!

And at a concert at the Academy of Music on 14th St., you couldn't smoke pot in your seat 'cuz of fire regs. So, if the usher saw you getting high, he'd ask you to go to the back and smoke there. And he'd sit and pass the joint with you!

Even bought a copy of Disco Tex and the Sex-o-lets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HhO_zZi-KA

NA4BH
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HhO_zZi-KA

Don't believe I'duh told that one, Brother. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

n2ize
02-15-2012, 10:20 PM
And the incense was wonderful!!!!

Back to NY radio in the 70's. WNCN was a classical station and one of the hosts was Bill Watson. His rap was funny, sensitive, interesting, and downright entertaining. Here's his obit. (http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/21/nyregion/william-watson-eccentric-host-of-classical-music-is-dead-at-77.html) R.i.P, Bill.

More 70's stuff.

For me, the defining moments of the 70's was the glitter (punk and/or disco) vs. flannel (rock). The beginning of the end. Gotta admit, tho', that I actully had a "glitter" belt -- flashy and very thin. Guys wore them in jeans.

And in those days, you could smoke pot openly in the clubs. Went to a bunch of concerts at The Bottom Line. Smoking joints was the same as smoking cigarettes. Just light 'em up!

And at a concert at the Academy of Music on 14th St., you couldn't smoke pot in your seat 'cuz of fire regs. So, if the usher saw you getting high, he'd ask you to go to the back and smoke there. And he'd sit and pass the joint with you!

back in the 70's I'd frequently just lite up a reefer as I was walking down a street. Even the cops wouldn't bother me. In school I smoked weed in the lounge and at one of my jobs I would light up a reefer in the office. the boss didn't care, matter of fact he would often join us in a smoke. In the 70;'s drugs, and in particular pot, was just considered a normal thing and nobody got all uptight about it. In high school a lot of friends of mine used to light up and smoke with their parents, at least those who had cool parents. In those days parents often felt it was better to smoke with their kids and teach them to use weed responsibly.

Contrast that with nowadays and all the "family values" crap where parents are encouraged to search and drug test their kids, where kids are encourage to turn their parents over to the authorities if they use any kind of drugs, where smoking a reefer will get you arrested and your head bashed in, where we are told pot is a deadly and dangerously and extremely addictive drug, a world where doctors are afraid to prescribe pain medication to legitimate patients for fear of retaliation from the authorities.

We sure have come a long way.

W1GUH
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Don't believe I'duh told that one, Brother. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hear that. The chick I was with when I bought it (yep, they were still chicks and proud of it back then!) wanted to hide when I asked the guy at the counter for a copy!

kb2vxa
02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Disco was the government's first weapon of choice in the war on (read war OF) drugs. NOTHING blows your high quicker than Disco!

Disco, Disco Duck
I want to be a Disco Duck
Disco, Disco Duck
But I turned into a taco

Doesn't it make you want to kill Rick Dees?

W1GUH
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Anyone else remember the Funky Bump? The last "rock" dance before Disco, at last in NNJ.

Oh! And speaking disco/NNJ, anyone else hang out at the Soap Factory? They even had a TV show later. And maybe the most notable condition of the70's was it was the last decade before AIDS and herpes. You could do anything with anybody and the worst you could suffer was a shot of penicillin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtzfULaQFRI

n2ize
02-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Anyone else remember the Funky Bump? The last "rock" dance before Disco, at last in NNJ.

Oh! And speaking disco/NNJ, anyone else hang out at the Soap Factory?

No, I used to hang out in a parking lot in back of a warehouse and in a couple of large empty shipping crates in the middle of a large vacant lot in the city. Being in the middle of the lot made it easy to spot the cops leaving ample time to stash the merchandise and make a run for it.

W4RLR
02-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Another was Billy Joel's "Suburban Showdown" from Steetlife Serenader. Freakin' GREAT lyrics! Pity that album from Mr. Joel has been lost in the shuffle -- great stories and commentary about life in the late 60's and early 70's, and Suburban Showdown was about flying home after being in LA, probably recording the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qwEtA_yx-g

W4RLR
02-18-2012, 12:17 AM
. Let me tell you it was entirely false, no way could a jock get high and handle the board let alone all the rest they do. Any jock or anyone who has sat in can tell you the studio is a busy place better described as master control, the room where it all happens... all at once with no margin for error. Back then there was no such thing as computer automation with everything on hard drive!

Having worked with automation systems, the fun begins when the computer takes a dump.

kb2vxa
02-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh, there's a question I forgot to ask. If yuppies are sterile why are there so many yuppie puppies?

W1GUH
02-19-2012, 09:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qwEtA_yx-g

THANK YOU!

n2ize
02-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Oh, there's a question I forgot to ask. If yuppies are sterile why are there so many yuppie puppies?

Yuppies suck man.

NQ6U
02-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Yuppies suck man.

That certainly doesn't explain the yuppie puppie issue.

W1GUH
02-19-2012, 05:12 PM
That certainly doesn't explain the yuppie puppie issue.

[comment made no sense]

W1GUH
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM

Artificial insemination?

NQ6U
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Unless all they're doing is sucking.

Exactly the point I was trying to make—if they're sucking, where are the puppies coming from?

N8GAV
02-19-2012, 10:22 PM
And 70' movies....

Shaft
etc.

Let's not forget Jaws, Star Wars, Last Tango in Paris, The Godfather I & II, Superman

n2ize
02-24-2012, 04:26 AM
I remember being heavily on the nod in one of my high school math classes right after lunch break. The teacher saw my head rocking in and out of a half sleep half awake state and asked me if I was feeling okay and if I wanted to go to the school nurse. I said in a soft southern drawl, "no man, I'm just high that's awl". She let it go at that. No further questions or hassles. Thats what was great about the 70's. You could do your own thing and people would be cool about it. Nowadays if a student did that in school it would prompt a federal investigation. Sad how we've changed from a cool state to a police state. We can thank ronnie for that.

kb2vxa
02-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Unless all they're doing is sucking.
Exactly the point I was trying to make—if they're sucking, where are the puppies coming from?

Anatomical abnormalities.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program... http://www.that70sshow.com/

n2ize
02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
The 70's will return. In 58 years it will be 2070. So most of us will probably not be around to see them. Unless I live for 58 years plus the 55 or so years I've already lived. That would make me around 113 years old... a supercentarian. Right now I am 37... in hex.

kb2vxa
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
The '70s return every thousand years, unless you're Mayan. No problem, 113 is young for a Vulcan. Live long and prosper.

Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when the Mayans said goodbye.

Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

kb2vxa
02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
deleted, duplicate