PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston RIP

KC9ECI
02-11-2012, 08:20 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46355482

She had a set of pipes.

W4GPL
02-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I wasn't a big fan or anything, but she was certainly an icon for a big part of my early childhood. I remember her singing the national anthem at the SuperBowl 25 which was during the height of the Gulf War.. a very classic moment (great SuperBowl too).

Her death isn't surprising based on her recent history with drugs, but it's jarring nevertheless.

RIP Whitney.

K7SGJ
02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
So very sad when people die that young. She was a super talent and had a beautiful voice. It seems she had a very troubled life the last few years, and that probably contributed to her early demise. Very sad indeed. RIP

KC9ECI
02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Back in the days when they would get someone with talent to sing the national anthem.

W4RLR
02-11-2012, 08:45 PM
She had a great voice, but sadly she hooked up with Bobby Brown and all of his crap. The reason she gave for staying with him was (I kid you not) his dick. If putting up with a small talent druggie in your life for so called great sex was her ticket to happiness, I would have recommended a dildo.

I agree about her rendition of the National Anthem. I even played it a few times during my morning shows at AFN Stuttgart.

N8YX
02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
The phrase "play stupid games..." comes to mind. As with Amy Winehouse and Anna Nicole Smith, only a blind man couldn't see this one coming.

Sad to see the talent pass, but all too predictable.

KC2IFR
02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
So sad to see this.........but lets not jump to conclusions......but I agree....Bobby Brown was and is an asshole and why in hell she got hooked up with him is a mystery....
RIP Whitney............

n2ize
02-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I am so sick of the "oh my God... drugs" ..."if only this" nonsense. Human nature is human nature. People will do what they do to feel good, superstar or low man on the totem pole.

KC2IFR
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I am so sick of the "oh my God... drugs" ..."if only this" nonsense. Human nature is human nature. People will do what they do to feel good, superstar or low man on the totem pole.
So true..........

N2RJ
02-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Whitney was truly one of a kind, and now literally part of a dying breed.

She did not need autotune or any kind of digital enhancement. She just sounded great, straight out of the box. That, IMHO, was her greatest quality. She just sounded great. I don't care about anything else about her... she just sounded great.

RIP

n2ize
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM

She did not need autotune or any kind of digital enhancement. She just sounded great, straight out of the box. That, IMHO, was her greatest quality. She just sounded great. I don't care about anything else about her... she just sounded great.

RIP

Yep !!

KC9ECI
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM

RIP

Didn't hurt that she was mighty easy on the eyes as well.

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Cutting her lots of slack on this one, just like I do with Michael Jackson. The business eats talent for breakfast, and if an artist isn't prepared with a humongous amount of deep personal strength, it'll consume him or her. The demands, the assholes, the "inner dead silence" after the lights go out and the applause fades away can be very difficult to deal with. And, sadly, can be fatal.

R.I.P. Ms. Houston.

KB3LAZ
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM

They pay the price too.

N2RJ
02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Didn't hurt that she was mighty easy on the eyes as well.

Yep.

She is a native of this state (Newark?) and she did us proud.

KC2UGV
02-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Cutting her lots of slack on this one, just like I do with Michael Jackson. The business eats talent for breakfast, and if an artist isn't prepared with a humongous amount of deep personal strength, it'll consume him or her. The demands, the assholes, the "inner dead silence" after the lights go out and the applause fades away can be very difficult to deal with. And, sadly, can be fatal.

R.I.P. Ms. Houston.

Because it's so hard to retire after your first 50 million dollars in earnings...

Basically: She has no sympathy from me. At any point in time, she could have bowed out.

NQ6U
02-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Because it's so hard to retire after your first 50 million dollars in earnings...

Basically: She has no sympathy from me. At any point in time, she could have bowed out.

That might not have been quite as easy as you may think. Remember that she was a business as much as she was an artist—she had contracts and a lot of people depending on her for their livelihoods.

KC2UGV
02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
That might not have been quite as easy as you may think. Remember that she was a business as much as she was an artist—she had contracts and a lot of people depending on her for their livelihoods.

And, she could have retired. Contracts run out... She didn't need to sign new ones. Lot's of people would have gotten jobs somewhere else...

All in all: It was her choice to subject herself to that.

ka4dpo
02-14-2012, 01:43 PM
No matter what the circumstances it is always sad to see someone that young pass.

KC2UGV
02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
No matter what the circumstances it is always sad to see someone that young pass.

True enough. It is sad for anyone (Well, 99.999% of people) to die.

WX7P
02-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I certainly hope Adele is strong enough to avoid the same fate...

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Probably not. At that point there are a LOT of people making big $$$$ off of your talent. They will do anything, legal or not, to keep that going.

n2ize
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Probably not. At that point there are a LOT of people making big $$$$ off of your talent. They will do anything, legal or not, to keep that going.

They may even go so far as to force the person to continue performing at gunpoint. You are making big money in music but you've got cutthroat mobsters forcing you to continue on. At that point drugs, booze, etc. are the only outlets you have. We are al in the same boat. Face it, after a long hard day or hard week we can't wait to get home, get high, or stoned, or drunk. It's kind of like the reward for all that hard work. After anything that requires considerable effort it's nice to know that when the day is done you can get blitzed.

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 06:51 PM
They may even go so far as to force the person to continue performing at gunpoint. You are making big money in music but you've got cutthroat mobsters forcing you to continue on. At that point drugs, booze, etc. are the only outlets you have. We are al in the same boat. Face it, after a long hard day or hard week we can't wait to get home, get high, or stoned, or drunk. It's kind of like the reward for all that hard work. After anything that requires considerable effort it's nice to know that when the day is done you can get blitzed.

Says it all, John!

kf0rt
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Only thing more predictable than Whitney's death is Corey's empathy?

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 07:20 PM
:agree::yes::cheers:

KC2UGV
02-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Only thing more predictable than Whitney's death is Corey's empathy?

Basically... Don't cry when you have it all, and you waste it on chit like crack. Any time, she could have checked herself into rehab. She had the money.

n2ize
02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Basically... Don't cry when you have it all, and you waste it on chit like crack. Any time, she could have checked herself into rehab. She had the money.

Did she cry ? It sounds like most of the crying is coming from others who feel they know her better than she knew herself. Maybe she was enjoying it and didn't want to go to rehab. Maybe it was a way to relax. It's easy for us to sit behind our desks and say what someone else should have done. But that person is not here to give their side of the story so we will never know for sure.

KG4CGC
02-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I certainly hope Adele is strong enough to avoid the same fate...

It would appear that she's planning a 5 year hiatus. She'll be OK as long as she stays clear of Bobby Brown.

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 08:08 PM

You really don't get it sometimes, do you?

No. 1 - She didn't do crack. Was quoted as saying, "That's cheap. I don't do cheap drugs."

No. 2 - Guess you really CAN'T get into trips other than your own? Pity....

KC2UGV
02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
You really don't get it sometimes, do you?

No. 1 - She didn't do crack. Was quoted as saying, "That's cheap. I don't do cheap drugs."

I know lots of people who are crack heads, but say,"I don't do crack!" Even though you can see the chore burns on their lips... I've seen lots of crack heads in my time, and she looked like a crack head. Complete with blisters on her lips.

No. 2 - Guess you really CAN'T get into trips other than your own? Pity....

Do what you want, but nobody who dies from it should really expect sympathy when they die from it... So, feel free to get into what trip you like.

And this is the bathroom of a crackhead:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/13/article-2100280-0440EC230000044D-341_634x417.jpg

And, it was Whitney's bathroom...

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, all omniscient! Please bestow upon us your vast knowledge of the universe. You've had three different people take the time give you a very good description of what it was probably like for her. Or are you saying all of us are full of shit, the YOU know better? If so, how did you gain this insightful knowledge.

But all YOU can do is sit in judgment of that which you're clueless. Nice. Very nice. Give me a fuckin' break, already!

KC2UGV
02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh, all omniscient! Please bestow upon us your vast knowledge of the universe. You've had three different people take the time give you a very good description of what it was probably like for her. Or are you saying all of us are full of shit, the YOU know better? If so, how did you gain this insightful knowledge.

But all YOU can do is sit in judgment of that which you're clueless. Nice. Very nice. Give me a fuckin' break, already!

My point is: She could always have bowed out. Plenty of superstars do, all the time.

kb2vxa
02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
"She could always have bowed out."
She did.

"Plenty of superstars do, all the time."
And the list is long.

They have my sympathy, for lacking the strength to resist temptation BUT it's difficult in the environment of the entertainment industry. Trouble is most people entertainers or just the average Joe can't seem to differentiate between use and abuse. The latter is overkill with the emphasis on KILL. I consider myself lucky to have learned that very early on so we could be having this conversation.

WX7P
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM

On to lecturing someone else, I see. Who elected your ass as decorum monitor?

Suggest YOU give us a fucking break by shutting your judgmental pie-hole. I don't agree with Corey on this one, but you're being an asshole, Paul.

kf0rt
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
My point is: She could always have bowed out. Plenty of superstars do, all the time.

When you reach that superstar status, let us know how it works out for ya.

Our commerce chews these people up and spits them out, and it's a hobby. Choice, sure, but it's not as simple as you think. Money, money, money. And more friggin money.

KB3LAZ
02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Did she cry ? It sounds like most of the crying is coming from others who feel they know her better than she knew herself. Maybe she was enjoying it and didn't want to go to rehab. Maybe it was a way to relax. It's easy for us to sit behind our desks and say what someone else should have done. But that person is not here to give their side of the story so we will never know for sure.

And now she never will.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I find it sad when anyone dies, particularly at a young age. That being said, people make choices and they live or in many cases die with them. We pay for our mistakes in one way or another.

As I said, it saddens me to see people die but I do not show pity, or even sympathy for poor judgment. As noted before, I suppose poor judgement is subjective, so be it.

WX7P
02-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Our commerce chews these people up and spits them out, and it's a hobby. Choice, sure, but it's not as simple as you think. Money, money, money. And more friggin money.

I agree completely. Also you need to factor in EVERYTIME you're in public, there's some clown showing a camera in your face. That has to get beyond old really quickly.

kf0rt
02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I agree completely. Also you need to factor in EVERYTIME you're in public, there's some clown showing a camera in your face. That has to get beyond old really quickly.

Might have some interesting 'film' for you in the next week or so. Nothing pro, but our culture isn't doing the world any favors.

KB3LAZ
02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Might have some interesting 'film' for you in the next week or so. Nothing pro, but our culture isn't doing the world any favors.

By we, do you mean humanity and do you mean culture of the microbial type?

KC2UGV
02-15-2012, 07:22 PM

So, she chose money over life...

In other news... The money paid to Whitney Houston for one concert could have saved the 400 children who have died since you started reading this post due to starvation, which was in no way their choice.

KC2UGV
02-15-2012, 07:24 PM
"She could always have bowed out."
She did.

"Plenty of superstars do, all the time."
And the list is long.

They have my sympathy, for lacking the strength to resist temptation BUT it's difficult in the environment of the entertainment industry. Trouble is most people entertainers or just the average Joe can't seem to differentiate between use and abuse. The latter is overkill with the emphasis on KILL. I consider myself lucky to have learned that very early on so we could be having this conversation.

I'm sorry, my sympathy card for those who had it all, and threw it all away is running low; after using my sympathy card for the many people who have died today due to no fault of their own.

kf0rt
02-15-2012, 08:57 PM
By we, do you mean humanity and do you mean culture of the microbial type?

I was thinking humanity, but now that you mention it...

Was watching some young ladies yesterday (captive audience). Seemed too 'Amercan' but they weren't speaking English. Wasn't Spanish, either - possibly Portuguese. Think I got some video.

In other news, CNN Mexico is stll all Whitney, all the time.

NA4BH
02-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Was watching some young ladies yesterday (captive audience).

Were you wearing a rain coat and boots? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

kf0rt
02-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Were you wearing a rain coat and boots? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Should have been! Spent the day on a boat.

NA4BH
02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Should have been! Spent the day on a boat.

OMG !!!! I was gonna post some cheesy picture of "The Love Boat". I went to YAHOO and put in Love Boat. Scrolled (in the IMAGES section) about 6 lines down and HOLY SHIST. You will need a raincoat for this. FAJITA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n2ize
02-15-2012, 09:27 PM
And now she never will.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I find it sad when anyone dies, particularly at a young age. That being said, people make choices and they live or in many cases die with them. We pay for our mistakes in one way or another.

As I said, it saddens me to see people die but I do not show pity, or even sympathy for poor judgment. As noted before, I suppose poor judgement is subjective, so be it.

I don't show pity or sympathy simply because I don't know if the person ever wanted or needed my sympathy or pity. Some people just do what they do and it's simply none of our business. They are not looking for advice, they are not looking to be told by us that they are making a mistake, they are not looking for us to pity or feel sorry for them. I prefer to live and let live. What a person does with their life is their business and it's not my job to decide what way is best for a person to live, what they should do or not do.

KG4CGC
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
OMG !!!! I was gonna post some cheesy picture of "The Love Boat". I went to YAHOO and put in Love Boat. Scrolled (in the IMAGES section) about 6 lines down and HOLY SHIST. You will need a raincoat for this. FAJITA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charro!

NA4BH
02-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Charro!

Hoochy Coochy !!!!!!!!!!

KB3LAZ
02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't show pity or sympathy simply because I don't know if the person ever wanted or needed my sympathy or pity. Some people just do what they do and it's simply none of our business. They are not looking for advice, they are not looking to be told by us that they are making a mistake, they are not looking for us to pity or feel sorry for them. I prefer to live and let live. What a person does with their life is their business and it's not my job to decide what way is best for a person to live, what they should do or not do.

You mean, live and let die.