PDA

View Full Version : JERSEY SHORE vs LAST MAN STANDING: Will Tim Allen Ham Up?

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
5330 WILL TIM ALLEN HAM UP?

Good Morning Mr and Mrs North Hamerica and all the ships at sea...Let's go to press!

Dashtoons' Old Man in Jersey, Grumpy the KB2, a fixture of vintage boat anchor immovability at Manasquan's legendary Osprey Night Club, the original Longest Bar in the World, has confirmed rumors that MTV's reality show Jersey Shore will go hamo-y-hamo with Tim Allen's Last Man Standing breakout family sitcom hamapalooza.

For more details on this developing story, check Dashtoons' homepage Doggerel Blog at www.dashtoons.com (http://www.dashtoons.com).

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 09:27 AM
And just about the time you thought the reputation of our hobby couldn't sink any lower...

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 09:55 AM
And just about the time you thought the reputation of our hobby couldn't sink any lower...

To paraphrase John Paul Jones, It has not yet begun to sink.

Come on Carl! if it doesn't kill ham radio, it surely will only make us more palatable to our target audience. If the hobby is gonna thrive, we've gotta take an inclusive "Big Tent" approach, with options for potential operators too young or too busy with Jello Mohitos to differentiate High Frequency and Very High Frequency, never mind sweat the difference between the Lindbergh and Gerber Babies.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I dunno. I mean, if I thought there was even the the remotest chance of actually running into Snooki on 40m, I'd take up knitting instead. And just think of what her QSL card would look like.

I'm not worried about it, though—the entire collective intellect of that show's cast could not muster enough brain power to pass even the technician exam.

W3WN
02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Considering the demographics of whom is more likely to watch each show... I don't think KAØXTT has anything to worry about.

Besides, the vast majority of those bozos and bimbos aren't from Jersey. They just wish they were!

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Considering the demographics of whom is more likely to watch each show... I don't think KAØXTT has anything to worry about.

Besides, the vast majority of those bozos and bimbos aren't from Jersey. They just wish they were!

I think they just bought New Jersey, and they're coming to your house to borrow a cup of sugar and a couple of appetizahs.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I dunno. I mean, if I thought there was even the the remotest chance of actually running into Snooki on 40m, I'd take up knitting instead. And just think of what her QSL card would look like.

I'm not worried about it, though—the entire collective intellect of that show's cast could not muster enough brain power to pass even the technician exam.

Brain power's got nothin' on Va-Va-Voom. If Snooki showed up for a Technician exam, I think most VEs would volunteer a passing grade.

W2NAP
02-04-2012, 10:32 AM
its the end of the world as we know it...

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Brain power's got nothin' on Va-Va-Voom. If Snooki showed up for a Technician exam, I think most VEs would volunteer a passing grade.

They would certainly stand up and take notice.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
..._ ..._ ..._

n2ize
02-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Would you believe I never heard of "Snooki" till last night and I don't know anything about this show or who any of the people in it are ? That is how detached I am from this sort of stuff.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Would you believe I never heard of "Snooki" till last night and I don't know anything about this show or who any of the people in it are ? That is how detached I am from this sort of stuff.

Consider yourself fortunate.

KC9ECI
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Heard of the show, have no interest in it beyond that point.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
"its the end of the world as we know it..."

Yeah, I'm as stuck on the world as we knew it as the next ham. But sometimes I think, if I don't feel exactly fine, in the continuing spirit of pop paraphrase, maybe it's just time to Buckle up and begone like the '66 Rocket Action Olds in the wind we are. Seems like only minutes ago it was April 1972, senior year at UNH, and I'm out my rooming house door, on the way to class, stopped for a moment's meditation on my landlady's rose Toronado, dominating the driveway like a pocket aircraft carrier, already appearing a little less than immutable, its Rusty Jones rustproofing already succumbing to rust.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM

N2IZE, time to get your nose out your books and get with the program. http://www.mtv.com/shows/jersey_shore/season_5/series.jhtml

KC9ECI
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Nice hamsexy reference.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Heard of the show, have no interest in it beyond that point.

Three words my friend. Guidos, Guidettes 'n Guinness. Jersey Shore is Good For Youse, if youse give it half a freakin' chance.
http://www.mtv.com/shows/jersey_shore/season_5/series.jhtml

KC9ECI
02-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Three words my friend. Guidos, Guidettes 'n Guiness. http://www.mtv.com/shows/jersey_shore/season_5/series.jhtml

Mmmmm.....Guinness.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Three words my friend. Guidos, Guidettes 'n Guinness.

That show almost makes me embarrassed to admit to my own Italian heritage but us Left Coast guineas are nothing like the Jersey Shores goombas.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Frankly, you guys may need to get out of the shack and start watching more TV. You don't realize how much things have changed for the better since Sid Caesar's Show of Shows and Ralston Purina Space Patrol. All right, so there's no more Annie Oakley or Annie Oakley doing her own Wonder Bread spots, but diminished content has been offset by sheer volume of product.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
That show almost makes me embarrassed to admit to my own Italian heritage but us Left Coast guineas are nothing like the Jersey Shores crowd.

To me, the G-G thing is not really ethnic, more a "pickin' up a coupla appetizahs" LI modality, measured in units of Joey Factor. I can't take credit JF credit. I'm tellin' youse, there was a radio spot some years back for a New England ski area touting its lack of "Joey Factor." The look is Uni-Lout.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Frankly, you guys may need to get out of the shack and start watching more TV. You don't realize how much things have changed for the better since Sid Caesar's Show of Shows and Ralston Purina Space Patrol. All right, so there's no more Annie Oakley or Annie Oakley doing her own Wonder Bread spots, but diminished content has been offset by sheer volume of product.

One needs to be selective about what one watches but, in my opinion, TV is better than ever. There was nothing back in what's considered TV's Golden Age that could ever compare with Mad Men, Dexter or The Wire.

Jersey Shores, on the other hand, makes me nostalgic for such comparatively intellectual fare as Gilligan's Island and My Mother, the Car.

KC9ECI
02-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Frankly, you guys may need to get out of the shack and start watching more TV.

I get in my share of TV watching in a day. Doctor Who, Being Human (both series, UK and US), Shameless (again, both UK/US), Chuck, Land Girls, New Tricks, All Creatures Grunt and Smell, etc. Netflix is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
One needs to be selective about what one watches but, in my opinion, TV is better than ever. There was nothing back in what's considered TV's Golden Age that could ever compare with Mad Men, Dexter or The Wire.

Jersey Shores, on the other hand, makes me nostalgic for such comparatively intellectual fare as Gilligan's Island and My Mother, the Car.

One big problem with TV nostalgia is that now it's all too easy to look back and instantly regret it.

mw0pob
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Never watched Jersey shore, I get enough of that with jay and silent bob :D
Kids watch it, i generally hide elsewhere

Jeff K1NSS
02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Never watched Jersey shore, I get enough of that with jay and silent bob :D
Kids watch it, i generally hide elsewhere

Jay and Silent Bob. I've heard of Bob's Your Uncle but not the silent one. Gotta look that up. New here,eh? Welcome! Had to look Port Huron up. Been to Wales a bunch of times, though in the 80s and 90s, maybe passing through your neck of the woods. I was well east you, mostly in Crickhowell, near Abergaveny. My former XYL had some famly friends there and we had some very nice visits. Took some trips to the slate mines up Mt Snowdon way, Rhonda, the big flower festival over mountain from Crick ito... Rassau? My most vivid memory was driving along the ridge above Crickhowell and watching RAF..Typhoons? passing below me up the valley throat, a breathtaking sight to see.

Have you seen my review of RSGB dress and dietary restrictions for US members? http://www.dashtoons.com/RSGBreview.html I had no idea just how RSGB I was expected to be until I joined a some years ago, essentially for the pin.

Jeff

WX7P
02-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Jay and Silent Bob. I've heard of Bob's Your Uncle but not the silent one. Gotta look that up. New here,eh? Welcome! Had to look Port Huron up. Been to Wales a bunch of times, though in the 80s and 90s, maybe passing through your neck of the woods. I was well east you, mostly in Crickhowell, near Abergaveny. My former XYL had some famly friends there and we had some very nice visits. Took some trips to the slate mines up Mt Snowdon way, Rhonda, the big flower festival over mountain from Crick ito... Rassau? My most vivid memory was driving along the ridge above Crickhowell and watching RAF..Typhoons? passing below me up the valley throat, a breathtaking sight to see.

Have you seen my review of RSGB dress and dietary restrictions for US members? http://www.dashtoons.com/RSGBreview.html I had no idea just how RSGB I was expected to be until I joined a some years ago, essentially for the pin.

Jeff

ya think you can participate here without promoting your vanity site?

Boring, station.

W3WN
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Jay and Silent Bob. I've heard of Bob's Your Uncle but not the silent one. Gotta look that up.
< snip >They're a pair of characters who've appeared in several movies written & directed by Kevin Smith... who plays Silent Bob.

Off the top of my head, they're in Clerks, Dogma, star in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and several others.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
They're a pair of characters who've appeared in several movies written & directed by Kevin Smith... who plays Silent Bob.

Off the top of my head, they're in Clerks, Dogma, star in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and several others.

As JTY used to say, "jesus christo".

How can you be a hipster, if you don't know the players?

Sorry, dude, I think your cartoons suck, and you're using this website to promote your BS.

toward jeff, not Ron -ed

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Sorry, dude, I think your cartoons suck, and you're using this website to promote your BS.

Uncalled for, Janet. Besides, I like his cartoons—and have since I first saw Toady in the the San Diego Reader c. 1994.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Uncalled for, Janet. Besides, I like his cartoons—and have since I first saw Toady in the the San Diego Reader c. 1994.

We disagree, Carl. I'm not a fan of Jeff's work. I think it's lame.

My objection is more based on Jeff using this website to promote himself.

If you're good, you don't need to shit on other's websites.

Dashtoons is crappy, and not interesting.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
We disagree, Carl. I'm not a fan of Jeff's work. I think it's lame.

My objection is more based on Jeff using this website to promote himself.

If you're good, you don't need to shit on other's websites.

Dashtoons is crappy, and not interesting.

What makes you think you can be the grand arbiter of taste here on the Island? Is that not a matter of personal opinion? If you don't like Jeff's cartoons, that's fine, but you sure could use a few lessons in tact and consideration for other people. This is not the first time you've been rude to another forum member without real cause.

BTW, his posts here don't bother me one bit. Indeed, I like to know when he's updated his site.

n2ize
02-04-2012, 07:41 PM
N2IZE, time to get your nose out your books and get with the program. http://www.mtv.com/shows/jersey_shore/season_5/series.jhtml

Checked out some of the clips and realized, I'm not missing anything. Nothing but mindless drivel. I'd rather learn something, work on a project, practice the violin, talk to homeless people, get high, drunk, stoned, whatever. This type of TV just bores me to death.

ad4mg
02-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Unless it's a major corporate endeavor, we don't have an issue with Jeff mentioning his site. I admire the level of creativity he exhibits, along with the long lost innocence his work projects. I find it refreshing, and it seems a good number of folks enjoy Jeff sharing his artistic creations with us.

Live and let live here in this area of the site. We have other areas here where it's acceptable to throw each other under the bus. This isn't such an area.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 07:57 PM
What makes you think you can be the grand arbiter of taste here on the Island? Is that not a matter of personal opinion? If you don't like Jeff's cartoons, that's fine, but you sure could use a few lessons in tact and consideration for other people. This is not the first time you've been rude to another forum member without real cause.

BTW, his posts here don't bother me one bit. Indeed, I like to know when he's updated his site.

It's not a matter of being "rude". I don't like Jeff's work and the way he pushes it here. Why is my objection to that a problem to you?

n2ize
02-04-2012, 08:01 PM

I'd much rather watch Annie Oakley, Judge Roy Bean, Tales of Tomorrow, Highway patrol, Honeymooners, Outer Limits, Perry mason, Johnny Stacatto, M-Squad, Dragnet, etc. than all this reality TV crap that is out there today. Face it. The old stuff may be somewhat tacky but far better than the garbage they are passing off nowadays. I'd rather have better quality and less volume of product than high volumes of trash.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
It's not a matter of being "rude". I don't like Jeff's work and the way he pushes it here. Why is my objection to that a problem to you?

I'm sorry, but your posts are not only rude, they border on personal attacks and the fact that you are unaware of it tells me a lot more about you than you probably imagine. You need a lot of work on your humanity, Janet.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Unless it's a major corporate endeavor, we don't have an issue with Jeff mentioning his site. I admire the level of creativity he exhibits, along with the long lost innocence his work projects. I find it refreshing, and it seems a good number of folks enjoy Jeff sharing his artistic creations with us.

Live and let live here in this area of the site. We have other areas here where it's acceptable to throw each other under the bus. This isn't such an area.

Luke, I think I have the ability to say Jeff's stuff is crappy, because I think it is. His stuff is stupid, but that's my opinion.

He has the right to tell me I'm full of shit if he wants too.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry, but your posts are not only rude, they border on personal attacks and the fact that you are unaware of it tells me a lot more about you than you probably imagine. You need a lot of work on your humanity, Janet.

I don't agree with you Carl. The personal attack accusation is out of line.

Because I think the CONTENT sucks, doesn't make me an asshole. Jeff is probably a good guy. I don't think his silly ass website is worth a shit. That's my opinion. Deal with it.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't agree with you Carl. The personal attack accusation is out of line.

Because I think the CONTENT sucks, doesn't make me an asshole. Jeff is probably a good guy. I don't think his silly ass website is worth a shit.

You're right, thinking the content sucks does not make you an asshole. However, the blatantly narcissistic way you present your opinion does.

That's my opinion. Deal with it.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 08:49 PM
You're right, thinking the content sucks does not make you an asshole. However, the blatantly narcissistic way you present your opinion does.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

What?

Dude, get a life.

NQ6U
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
What?

Dude, get a life.

Brilliant, witty response, O Clueless one. You're ignored.

WX7P
02-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Brilliant, witty response, O Clueless one. You're ignored.

whatever, Carl. Chill out, dude.

n2ize
02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
That show almost makes me embarrassed to admit to my own Italian heritage but us Left Coast guineas are nothing like the Jersey Shores goombas.

Shows like this have nothing to do with Italian heritage other than some producers stereotyping. They certainly don't reflect on my heritage.

Jeff K1NSS
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Belated thanks for all support, on and off line.

As for the rest, it's my impression my posts are generally taken for what they're worth. If they happen to amuse you like clown, that's gravy. And if they don't, I hope my posts are above the noise enough to be novel. But no joke, after looking around, from my first days on the Island, I understood that my kind of monkey business, like everybody else's stuff n nonsense, would not be universally appreciated. I get that and always did. So fire away.

It's all fair game, including my deft self-promotion. Mea culpa. I'll back off the gain.

W1GUH first saw me as I sometimes am -- a retired OM of 63 years sitting behind a godforsaken hamfest table selling comics about his imaginary dog-faced playmate. Unlike the vast majority of everyone in the world, he totally got what I was doing, a bright moment on a dreary day. Yep, I sold two books and made one great friend. And neither happens often. Then again, neither do hams like Paul. Nevertheless, I think that was the day he recommended the Island of Misfit Hams, the place I now feel quite at home, thank you very much.

See what happens when you let a long haired hippy off the Island?

First thing you know, he brings home a misfit ham cartoonist...and there goes the neighborhood.

W3WN
02-05-2012, 12:39 AM
< snip >
First thing you know, he brings home a misfit ham cartoonist...and there goes the neighborhood.No, "there goes the neighborhood" got uttered when I showed up. You don't get credit for that one, bubbaleh.

Jeff K1NSS
02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Mighta got uttered, but just getting into your batting stance replied " To the moon, Alice...to the moon."

KB3LAZ
02-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I will be the first one to admit that I have a lacking sense of humor. My mindset is more dark and disturbing when it comes to artistic views. That aside I enjoy Jeff's posts. Also, I dont see how self promotion is a bad thing. It is done on more than occasion with amateur related topics. How is another topic different? In fact, I like seeing what fellow hams have to offer outside of the realm we dabble in.

Now back to the topic. I do not watch a lot of TV. In fact if not for Pilar I would not watch TV at all. I do watch a little BBCA, Food network, A&E, and Ion. We enjoy Triple D, Kitchen Nightmares, Chopped, Extreme Chef, and Criminal minds (on my own I watch Top gear). So I am not really up on what passes for TV but I do know a few of the characters that have been tossed around. Meh, I dont see it helping or harming the hobby. ...That is all I have to say about it, lol.

n2ize
02-05-2012, 05:26 AM
In the immortal words for Floyd the Barber, "we give, we take, our dualities overlap so, carry on."

KC9ECI
02-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Group hug!

W2NAP
02-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I will be the first one to admit that I have a lacking sense of humor. My mindset is more dark and disturbing when it comes to artistic views. That aside I enjoy Jeff's posts. Also, I dont see how self promotion is a bad thing. It is done on more than occasion with amateur related topics. How is another topic different? In fact, I like seeing what fellow hams have to offer outside of the realm we dabble in.

totally. its not like the guy is dropping a link to a site where you have to PAY to see the comic.

hell I self promote the site I have with all the crappy manuals i have added and found all over the net. in my crappy sig.

NQ6U
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Group hug!

Okay, but no groping this time.

KC9ECI
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Okay, but no groping this time.

Well that kind of defeats the purpose.

Jeff K1NSS
02-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Janet and I discussed things amongst ourselves and all is cool. We're hams. Let's play radio.

KC9ECI
02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
OK...I'm on 10M. 28.076 tx odd +681 JT65

KB3LAZ
02-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Group hug!

NU!

Jeff K1NSS
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
OK...I'm on 10M. 28.076 tx odd +681 JT65

Hang on, I've got a SignalLink USB interface I've yet to hook up, and Steve Ford's new intro book on Digital HF on backorder. OM K1NSS is a slothful one, but give him enough caffeine and it's Katy Bar The Door, By Gee! Hot to try EasyPal SSTV too. Oh the Hamanity!

ab1ga
02-05-2012, 05:04 PM
W1GUH first saw me as I sometimes am -- a retired OM of 63 years sitting behind a godforsaken hamfest table selling comics about his imaginary dog-faced playmate.

More cats, please.

KC9ECI
02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
You can always check with http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html?preset&callsign=kc9eci&mode=JT65&timerange=900&hideunrec=1&hidelight=1 to see if I'm active. I wander in and out of the shack all day long on the weekends.

Jeff K1NSS
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM
More cats, please.

Heh,heh. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

kf0rt
02-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Heh,heh. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

I got four chinchillas in my basement right now. True story. When I retire, it might be part of a book nobody reads. :rofl:

Jeff K1NSS
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
"More Cats Please" sez AB1GA, ex-DB7MF

This will have to hold you until Frühjahr. At that point, a certain OD's fancy will turn to Hellschreiber und Katja Eulenspiegel, AKA The Katgirl with the Drake2B Tattoo, great granddaughter of Hermann Oberth. Think doomed Linux/Fortran relationship, Low Rider Trabants, menancing stares from a cat named Klaus, soundtrack by Falco. A four stall Chinchilla Ranch in the Harz Mountains may also come into play.Stay tooned.

"I want to be with those who know secret things or else alone."
-- Rainer Maria Rilke

K7SGJ
02-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't care what any of you say, I appreciate someome that has a talent I don't have.This list is understandably large, and ever growing. But I must confess that. I do enjoy Jeff's artwork, stories, etal. I always wished I could draw something cool. Not everyone liked gasoline alley either, that's why Blondie and Dagwood are a couple of panels to port. Just because you don't like GA, don't try to get it pulled because I want to read it.

KC9ECI
02-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I have a hard time drawing a tic tac toe grid with a pencil and a square.

kb2vxa
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
"Jersey Shore is Good For Youse, if youse give it half a freakin' chance."

Thanks for reminding me New Jersey is the only state with a dick... then there's Florida.

"Three words my friend. Guidos, Guidettes 'n Guinness."

After the shit storm that started I'll just crawl away shaking my head and clucking my tongue thinking they don't know WTF you're talking about. Hell, when you say Benny all they can think of is Jack. Then there's a whole 'nuther meaning to shoobie doobie doo but I like to keep them guessing.

Alfalfa? That did it...

n2ize
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I will be the first one to admit that I have a lacking sense of humor.

You're not alone. But you are better in the humour department than I. You may have noticed that I have no sense of humour whatsoever. I take things in life very seriously seldom finding time to laugh,

My mindset is more dark and disturbing when it comes to artistic views.

I like things that are disturbing to a degree.. Much like humour, disturbing things get peoples attention and force them to think about things. There is a close parallel between the world of humor and the world of things that disturb people. The few times I have ever laughed was when I was in a rather dark/disturbing situation.

That aside I enjoy Jeff's posts.

I neither enjoy nor do I don;t enjoy . Jeff's posts go clean over my head. I cannot even begin to comprehend his sense of humour. I'm not saying it is bad or anything I simply cannot grasp it.

Also, I dont see how self promotion is a bad thing. It is done on more than occasion with amateur related topics. How is another topic different? In fact, I like seeing what fellow hams have to offer outside of the realm we dabble in.

I agree 100%. Nothing wrong with what Jeff does here.

Now back to the topic. I do not watch a lot of TV.

Here we differ. I watch absolutely no TV. However, I am a big fan of old TV shows from the 1950's/60's, particularly half hour TV cop/crime shows and westerns. I recently discovered "Johnny Staccato" (a short running series from 1959 featuring crooks, jazz musicians, beatniks, etc.). "Highway Patrol" is another current favorite. M-Squad (1950's) is pretty cool. Count Basie did the theme. I have no interest in modern day TV,

W3WN
02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
< snip > You may have noticed that I have no sense of humour whatsoever. I take things in life very seriously seldom finding time to laugh,
< snip >No disrespect, insult, or snarkiness intended or implied... but that actually explains a lot.

No, really. I've sometimes wondered where you've been coming from with some of your replies on some threads, and that puts things in proper context. Which helps to avoid misunderstandings down the road.

Jeff K1NSS
02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I watch absolutely no TV. However, I am a big fan of old TV shows from the 1950's/60's, particularly half hour TV cop/crime shows and westerns. I recently discovered "Johnny Staccato" (a short running series from 1959 featuring crooks, jazz musicians, beatniks, etc.). "Highway Patrol" is another current favorite. M-Squad (1950's) is pretty cool. Count Basie did the theme. I have no interest in modern day TV

Re TeeVee: I watch with people I know as a social thing and its there, like store-bought snack food, but alone I'm off that grid and stick to airpopped popcorn. To be serious(!) about "reality shows," I get their voyeuristic appeal, same way I get stamp collecting. You know, perforations, watermarks, it's sorta vaguely interesting, more than most TV I might add, but life just has a way of distracting one from perforations. I think, but I'm not sure, PBS invented Jersey Shore's basic genre with the...ahem...documentary series about the Loud family. Didn't the Watergate hearings begin around then? Much more compelling, slo-mo trainwreck theater.

Re Really Old TV: Little loomed larger than TV in my 50s/60s kid life. Okay, so maybe that explains a lot. I got up before the National Anthem, turned on the family Philco, read the funnies on the floor by the light of the screen snow, up close and chest Xray personal, until the sacred Test Patterns appeared, my mandalas. Living in the NYC metro area, there was a large number. Must have been a whole nine or ten. These I'd cycle through, stopping at favorites. As a heat-packing Hoppalong Cassady fan, my fave was the test pattern with the warbonnetted Indian chief at the center. After that, I settled into the basic reclining Buddha posture and held that until bedtime -- taking breaks for a few off-manual chemistry set experiements, a little gun play with my buddies at the neighborhood polluted brook, and wolfed meals.

The abovementioned were among my shows too. Among them, I'm most delighted to see Johnny Staccato, which I thought was parsecs beyond the usual detective palaver. Yet to appreciate the nuance of Deadpan Joe Friday, I wanted to be Mr. Staccato when I grew up. Cool man, cool. I, I'd smoke Kools and get by on the sheer jazz of those double Os. Wasn't Johnny's defacto office the jazz club itself? And he didn't drink Sasaparilla, did he? Take a powder Hoppalong, you're buggin' the beatniks.

kf0rt
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I take things in life very seriously seldom finding time to laugh,

In that case, can I have all your drugs?

n2ize
02-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I watch absolutely no TV. However, I am a big fan of old TV shows from the 1950's/60's, particularly half hour TV cop/crime shows and westerns. I recently discovered "Johnny Staccato" (a short running series from 1959 featuring crooks, jazz musicians, beatniks, etc.). "Highway Patrol" is another current favorite. M-Squad (1950's) is pretty cool. Count Basie did the theme. I have no interest in modern day TV

Re TeeVee: I watch with people I know as a social thing and its there, like store-bought snack food, but alone I'm off that grid and stick to airpopped popcorn. To be serious(!) about "reality shows," I get their voyeuristic appeal, same way I get stamp collecting. You know, perforations, watermarks, it's sorta vaguely interesting, more than most TV I might add

I suppose to enjoy reality TV you have to find people interesting in some way. That's my problem, people are not interesting to me. Much like marriage, people are so...overrated. There, I said it...

The above mentioned were among my shows too. Among them, I'm most delighted to see Johnny Staccato, which I thought was parsecs beyond the usual detective palaver. Yet to appreciate the nuance of Deadpan Joe Friday, I wanted to be Mr. Staccato when I grew up. Cool man, cool. I, I'd smoke Kools and get by on the sheer jazz of those double Os. Wasn't Johnny's defacto office the jazz club itself? And he didn't drink Sasaparilla, did he? Take a powder Hoppalong, you're buggin' the beatniks.

No, he did not drink Sarsaparilla and yes, he did work out of a jazz club called "Waldo's" in Greenwich Village. The beatniks were quite prevalent in his shows as indicated in the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5gaxpRK0c

Jeff K1NSS
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
n2ize, I'm awful tempted to watch the Johnny Staccato episode, although as I said, looking back is risky business and YouTube makes it far too easy.

Couple of notes. Your comments about humor and interest in people seem sincere, nevertheless you're here, among people and humor. So while it seems like you mean what you say, you say it with a Goth-in-cheek twist that's funny, and I like to think, intentional.

Item two. Who, or at least, what's the source of your profile picture? Looks 19th century, or drawn to look 19th century, like a marginal sketch in a letter, in a naive style.

Back to the cool.

Cassevettes was one of old TV's cool cats. Wanted: Dead or Alive's Steve McQueen was another, all atttitude and sawed-off rifle. My fancypiece toy gun was a mini Nichols version of McQueen's, nicely presented by its plush case. Not really suitable for armed combat ranging across 1950s housing tract construction sites, my sawed-off stretch Derriger was left at home. Instead, I fielded a Daisy air rifle, ideal because of all the excavation. Dirt piles were everywhere. Weekends and after the workers knocked off, we enjoyed the run of a Maginot Line -- entirely made of ammo! And bombs! And grenades! Here stood our neighborhood weapons trafficker's warehouse, rendered in dozens of dumptrucks' worth of Jersey topsoil. War was in the ground and atomic air raid sirens were in the wind, mixing with the Good Humor man's jingle bells. Mind you, this was one unhappy Good Humor man, because his competitor played for keeps. Swear to God, The Carnival Ice Cream man gave away real military patches and lapel bling -- or incredible simulations -- with purchase of big ticket ice cream bars. So when his bells tolled, we came running, double-time.

One more cool dude was The Rebel's Nick Adams as Johnny Yuma. To quote imdb.com: A former Confederate Army Private roams the Wild West after the end of the Civil War as a rogue drifter and gets involved in helping out various settlers threatned by various bad guys. According to his theme song. Johnny Yuma was panther-quick and leather-tough, to this day, memorable to me as rosy-fingered dawn and wine-dark sea. McQueen's character was edgy, but Adams' was a timebomb. And who doesn't love a timebomb -- like the good but crazy mother wrestler who sprints dressing room to ringside to save the fallguy from foreign objects and two Spandex Storm Troopers. I can't recall a single episode and I've said goodbye to all that. It's enough to remember The Rebel was all about waitin' for Clobberin' Time.

http://youtu.be/aXzbmPARO9k

VE7DCW
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM

By the way Jeff .....speaking of things media related.... I see Rich Moseson W2VU ,the editor of CQ magazine,gave you and the "Dashtoons" strip a nice plug in an article he wrote for the February issue of CQ magazine ...... way to go!! :rock:

N7YA
02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Just for the update; Snooki and the idiots at Jersey Shore are going the way of ham radio. More and more people are saying, "Oh, that? I remember that. My grandpa used to do that when i was a kid".

Put a fork in them. (no, really...many times!)

Jeff K1NSS
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
By the way Jeff .....speaking of things media related.... I see Rich Moseson W2VU ,the editor of CQ magazine,gave you and the "Dashtoons" strip a nice plug in an article he wrote for the February issue of CQ magazine ...... way to go!! :rock:

Well that's FB. Tnx for the heads-up...and down!

Jeff K1NSS
02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Just for the update; Snooki and the idiots at Jersey Shore are going the way of ham radio. More and more people are saying, "Oh, that? I remember that. My grandpa used to do that when i was a kid".

Put a fork in them. (no, really...many times!)

Ha! Yes, and kinda I dunno. Last night on Twitter I swapped a few messages with an apparently actual high school kid ham, who was president of his robotics club and wore a tie in his picture. My first take was, same as it ever was -- but when I thought about it, nowadadys all the guys who conspicuously don't wear ties are state-of-the-Old Fart fifty-something hedgefund managers, at least ones I've seen on TV, ever the trusty window on reality. I kidded about dopey HS ham stereotypes and he promised to uphold the proud heritage.Yah sure, Jersey Shore-Gen lout culture too will pass. And there's plenty of good, smart kids lined up to invent the flying bots that will break, enter and carry us off while we sleep, with nary a rock or roll, gently dropping our Boomer butts into local Solyent Green collection boxes already on the drawing board, if not already on standby in municipal garages nationwide. What to do? What can we do, except sleep with one eye open and a depleted uranium flyswatter under the bed.

kb2vxa
02-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Don't worry about flying bots when we already have the Greys. The Twilight Zone episode To Serve Man was based on actual events which is why Muldur never found his sister. Soylent Green is real, the scoops are lined up at municipal garages. Are you sure that's salt in those bins... or something else? Are you sure that high school ham isn't a robot himself? If you find a box full of black rimmed sunglasses put a pair on and you'll see They Live and walk among us.

n2ize
02-07-2012, 10:20 AM
n2ize, I'm awful tempted to watch the Johnny Staccato episode, although as I said, looking back is risky business and YouTube makes it far too easy.

Don't worry. I've already watched it and many others. When it comes to the risks of looking back that's my job. In the genre of an urban explorer I once knew... "I take the risks so you don't have to".

Couple of notes. Your comments about humor and interest in people seem sincere, nevertheless you're here, among people and humor. So while it seems like you mean what you say, you say it with a Goth-in-cheek twist that's funny, and I like to think, intentional.

It's basically true. I generally find people to be exceedingly boring. This wasn't always the case but its a feeling that ripened with time and age. It's not that I dislike people or that I am not interested in some things people do. I'll talk music, art, science, politics, math, philosophy, trivia with people and I am interested in what they thing and what I can learn and what they may have accomplished. I just find the more "personal" stuff puts me to sleep.. Like when someone starts telling me about their marriage issues or some person starts telling me about his/her personal intimate affairs I am out.... I don't want to know about it.

Item two. Who, or at least, what's the source of your profile picture? Looks 19th century, or drawn to look 19th century, like a marginal sketch in a letter, in a naive style.

Yes it is an early 19th century portrait of the short lived French Mathematician Evariste Galois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Évariste_Galois

Although he was killed in a duel at age 21 it was an exciting time in Europe, and particularly France, for his field of interest and endeavours.. to which he significantly contributed.

Back to the cool.

Cassevettes was one of old TV's cool cats. Wanted: Dead or Alive's Steve McQueen was another, all atttitude and sawed-off rifle. My fancypiece toy gun was a mini Nichols version of McQueen's, nicely presented by its plush case. Not really suitable for armed combat ranging across 1950s housing tract construction sites, my sawed-off stretch Derriger was left at home. Instead, I fielded a Daisy air rifle, ideal because of all the excavation. Dirt piles were everywhere. Weekends and after the workers knocked off, we enjoyed the run of a Maginot Line -- entirely made of ammo! And bombs! And grenades! Here stood our neighborhood weapons trafficker's warehouse, rendered in dozens of dumptrucks' worth of Jersey topsoil. War was in the ground and atomic air raid sirens were in the wind, mixing with the Good Humor man's jingle bells. Mind you, this was one unhappy Good Humor man, because his competitor played for keeps. Swear to God, The Carnival Ice Cream man gave away real military patches and lapel bling -- or incredible simulations -- with purchase of big ticket ice cream bars. So when his bells tolled, we came running, double-time.

Sounds a lot like the past I recollect. Before we moved to stuffy Westchester I grew up in East NY Brooklyn where I chased many an outlaw through the streets and through the rooms of our railroad flat apartment.... Every day the Chrysler air raid siren rang at precisely 12:00 noon... the time when we all left the war zone and went home for lunch.

One more cool dude was The Rebel's Nick Adams as Johnny Yuma. To quote imdb.com: A former Confederate Army Private roams the Wild West after the end of the Civil War as a rogue drifter and gets involved in helping out various settlers threatned by various bad guys. According to his theme song. Johnny Yuma was panther-quick and leather-tough, to this day, memorable to me as rosy-fingered dawn and wine-dark sea. McQueen's character was edgy, but Adams' was a timebomb. And who doesn't love a timebomb -- like the good but crazy mother wrestler who sprints dressing room to ringside to save the fallguy from foreign objects and two Spandex Storm Troopers. I can't recall a single episode and I've said goodbye to all that. It's enough to remember The Rebel was all about waitin' for Clobberin' Time.

Hmmm I remember McQueen (Rifleman ?)... but I am not that familar with Johnny Yuma. There lies my plight. It's impossible for me to live in the present since I have not yet lived the past. The future is another story.

KC9ECI
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
http://galesvillefiredepartment.org/kc9eci/likesthis.jpg

Jeff K1NSS
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Uh oh. Send lawyers guns and money.

KC9ECI
02-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Nah. Da goons woulds haf you sleepin wit da fishes by now.

Jeff K1NSS
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Nah. Da goons woulds haf you sleepin wit da fishes by now.
Uh-oh. Send fish food and hope the shrimp flakes taste better than us.

kb2vxa
02-07-2012, 11:34 PM
"Uh oh. Send lawyers guns and money."

I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan

I'm hiding from Snookie, Kookie, Spooky and Mookie (Pookie stayed home, she has more sense) after what I saw today. In a mad moment of irrational curiosity I turned on the TV and found out what the camera crew was doing last summer, wasting time and money down the street around the corner down at Jenkinson's. BENNY GO HOME!

n2ize
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Fixed it.

KC9ECI
02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Fixed it.

No, you need the lawyers. You need something to shoot at when you sight in the guns.

Jeff K1NSS
02-08-2012, 08:47 PM
"More Cats Please" sez AB1GA

ab1ga
02-08-2012, 08:50 PM
A RheoCat?

Very nice, a lovely cat.

Tnx, OM.

Jeff K1NSS
02-09-2012, 01:31 AM
A RheoCat?

Very nice, a lovely cat.

Tnx, OM.

Eddie was a boon companion at my former QTH and would often hang out in my shack. He is arrayed here aside my trusty Philmore crystal set, largely as a very little joke about catwhiskers. My experiene with dogs in the shack is much more variable. One would sleep at my feet until he decided it was time to shut down, at which point he wouldn't shut up and kept barking on the VOX until I cracked like an egg. Did dispatch a squirrel in the shack that came in a stove pipe. A good, but excitable boy.

ab1ga
02-09-2012, 08:32 PM
The reference to cats whiskers is good, I'll confess I'm unfamiliar with early radio gear, and the only crystal sets I ever ran across were homemade with oatmeal containers, but commercial diodes.

I don't mind dogs, but find them too needy on occasion; my cats usually just sit quietly nearby (as Scurvy is now), with the occasional outburst of demanding meows.

Jeff K1NSS
02-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Arrr, Scurvy great name. Imagine Puss in Boots with an eyepatch, wielding a cutlass. Apropos of nothing but your profile, I was curious about your other listed call, a DB7 I think. Are you German, or is that an artifact of a military career or overseas job?

kb2vxa
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I never would have guessed it to be a crystal set until I found it on the internet. Mine was the customary home made contraption from the oatmeal box tuner down to a chunk of galena I "mined" in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania.

Dog vs. VOX reminds me of why it or the rig should be off with a visitor present. Picture the "Lassie" scene from the movie Porkey's only not in the locker room, it was his ham shack.

W3WN
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I never would have guessed it to be a crystal set until I found it on the internet. Mine was the customary home made contraption from the oatmeal box tuner down to a chunk of galena I "mined" in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania.

Dog vs. VOX reminds me of why it or the rig should be off with a visitor present. Picture the "Lassie" scene from the movie Porkey's only not in the locker room, it was his ham shack.IN the ham shack? Hmmm. There's a story that need's tellin'!

ab1ga
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Arrr, Scurvy great name. Imagine Puss in Boots with an eyepatch, wielding a cutlass. Apropos of nothing but your profile, I was curious about your other listed call, a DB7 I think. Are you German, or is that an artifact of a military career or overseas job?

I made the "mistake" one day of telling my wife of a new litter of kittens a co-worker of mine was seeking homes for. We decided to get two so they could keep each other company, but Sara disapproved of my proposed cat names ("Bowser", "Spike", etc.), so we agreed to each name one. Sara said she also wanted her kitten to be a "stripey orange one".

When we went to look at the kittens lo and behold, an orange, stripey kitten comes barreling out of hiding to meow a greeting to us and was immediately claimed. Sara named him MacDuff because he was orange-haired, brave, and a bit too trusting to be smart.

The other kitten was a tiny, shy, calico hiding behind the refrigerator who obviously needed love the most. When we got her home, she immediately hid in the bookcase. I was reading the Patrick O'Brian series and decided that if I couldn't call anyone a scurvy dog, I would have a scurvy cat. She has overcome her shyness, but is still a long way from being a swashbucking scalawag. She also answers to the name "Kee-Kee", woefully unoriginal as that may be.

My DB7 call was a consequence of having a German mother and an American father who was a rolling stone with little regard for international boundaries. I spent some of my teen years in Germany, and became a dual national. Although I had developed an interest in ham radio earlier, I didn't actually get licensed until I was old enough under German law to take the test. Then I hopped on a train to Munich, took the German exam, and a few days later received a document printed on what looked like a piece of olive-drab colored undershirt!

A couple of years later I came back to the states, went to college, blah, blah, lame excuse, blah, then finally got the US license a few years ago.

kb2vxa
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
"Arrr, Scurvy great name. Imagine Puss in Boots with an eyepatch, wielding a cutlass."
Pirate Cat Radio at its finest and legal too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Cat_Radio
And one for the furries.

Bowser? Spike? Apparently she's not a fan of Sha Na Na.
"She has overcome her shyness, but is still a long way from being a swashbucking scalawag."
Teaching her how to use a side sword with a buckler may be difficult but cats are natural born scalawags, just need a little encouragement.

N7YA
02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I would have gone with Marky, Joey, Deedee....something to that effect. ;)

WX7P
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I would have gone with Marky, Joey, Deedee....something to that effect. ;)

That's just Ramoning...

WX7P
02-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I made the "mistake" one day of telling my wife of a new litter of kittens a co-worker of mine was seeking homes for. We decided to get two so they could keep each other company, but Sara disapproved of my proposed cat names ("Bowser", "Spike", etc.), so we agreed to each name one. Sara said she also wanted her kitten to be a "stripey orange one".

When we went to look at the kittens lo and behold, an orange, stripey kitten comes barreling out of hiding to meow a greeting to us and was immediately claimed. Sara named him MacDuff because he was orange-haired, brave, and a bit too trusting to be smart.

The other kitten was a tiny, shy, calico hiding behind the refrigerator who obviously needed love the most. When we got her home, she immediately hid in the bookcase. I was reading the Patrick O'Brian series and decided that if I couldn't call anyone a scurvy dog, I would have a scurvy cat. She has overcome her shyness, but is still a long way from being a swashbucking scalawag. She also answers to the name "Kee-Kee", woefully unoriginal as that may be.

My DB7 call was a consequence of having a German mother and an American father who was a rolling stone with little regard for international boundaries. I spent some of my teen years in Germany, and became a dual national. Although I had developed an interest in ham radio earlier, I didn't actually get licensed until I was old enough under German law to take the test. Then I hopped on a train to Munich, took the German exam, and a few days later received a document printed on what looked like a piece of olive-drab colored undershirt!

A couple of years later I came back to the states, went to college, blah, blah, lame excuse, blah, then finally got the US license a few years ago.

Cool story.

We have Fraidy, who is an adopted feral who doesn't like anyone except Sarah or myself. She's a wild tabby who is a killer. She's the sig line.

Targha is a Maine Coon who was named after the president of Finland. She's a really friendly kitty.

Bhutan or "Boo" is a very large Siberian who talks a lot and would have been a great ham operator if human. The Boo yells at me all day long.

I love cats.

ab1ga
02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
I love cats.

So do I, which was a great surprise to me. Previously, my only pet had been a dog, an experience which ended sadly, and I vowed never to take that risk again. I had not felt any kind of sympathy for cats, which I think they sensed.

When the kittens came home, my whole attitude toward cats changed. I started observing them closely, and when the XYL told me about the half-blink I realized that their language was far more subtle than I had suspected, and I started watching them more closely. They are fascinating, loving creatures, and I regret not having had cats sooner in my life.

Your Boo is like my MacDuff, he doesn't speak words or sentences, but -paragraphs-. As he's gotten older he's quieted down, probably because he doesn't feel the need to spell out his requests any more now that we've been trained. I actually had to teach Scurvy to meow, she would sit there and open her mouth and no sound would come out; I have come to regret this as she has become more comfortable and bossy. I am her official mouthpiece; if she needs my wife to do something, she comes to me, meows, looks, and waits. Then I yell "SARA", and she runs off to see Sara about that walk in the woods or freshening of the food bowl or whatever.

73 and continued joy with your feline friends,

N7YA
02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Few things make this burly guy melt more than a baby kitty.

What. I dont care. OK?

kb2vxa
02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
OK we found the hams, now where are those cats they're talking about?

N7YA
02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Judging by the cards in the backround, Willy was an SWL with a penchant for Chinese coastal stations. Unless that was his 'call' for shootin' into skippyland.