PDA

View Full Version : o0 Me, a guest at Alicante High School. :P

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
So, my mother in-law is the guidance counselor at the local high school where I will be staying in Spain. She has asked me to speak to and give a presentation to the students of said school during their English class. These kids will range in age from 13-18. Now the question is...what to say? I have never done this sort of thing.

Now, I am sure they will have a lot of questions. Questions such as, what is it like in the states, what part of the states do you live in, etc. Ofc, I know the history if my area, so that is a starting point.

So, any speakers and or teachers amongst us that can lend me a hand here? Public speaking is not my high point but I dont fear freezing or anything of that nature.

Help? :D

NA4BH
02-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Since you will be new to the area over there, why don't you swap them question for question. Get them to talk about Spain and you talk about the USA.

kf0rt
02-03-2012, 06:08 PM
"Just be yourself. You'll do fine."

I like Bob's idea -- trade creds and make it an "alien from another planet" kind of thing. Kids LOVE to teach (they just don't know it).

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Since you will be new to the area over there, why don't you swap them question for question. Get them to talk about Spain and you talk about the USA.

Yes, I like that. Also, as I said, I know about my area so if they ask questions, I have that covered. I am going to take pictures along for props. Ofc, they are children, well teens, so they will probably ask what I do in my spare time. I guess issues of QST and a few ARRL handbooks are in order for such events. I also assume they will ask what brought me to Spain, again, material that I have covered.

As I said, I have never really done much public speaking. That will be the new and intimidating part.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
"Just be yourself. You'll do fine."

I like Bob's idea -- trade creds and make it an "alien from another planet" kind of thing. Kids LOVE to teach (they just don't know it).

Yes, Ofc I am willing to bet much like anyone, their idea of the states will be that which they see in the movies. LA, NYC, Miami, etc. So, I will get to show them the side that is not often portrayed in the movies.

Keep em coming. Talking this out helps my brain work. Ty, ty.

NA4BH
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Get everyone on the Island to send you a little info about their town. That way you get different areas and a different perspective of life in the United States, so they can see how diverse we are. We do your talking for you.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Get everyone on the Island to send you a little info about their town. That way you get different areas and a different perspective of life in the United States, so they can see how diverse we are. We do your talking for you.

Nifty idea!

kf0rt
02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, Ofc I am willing to bet much like anyone, their idea of the states will be that which they see in the movies. LA, NYC, Miami, etc. So, I will get to show them the side that is not often portrayed in the movies.

Keep em coming. Talking this out helps my brain work. Ty, ty.

You get to be an ambassador for the world's greatest country. PLEASE don't talk about our politics. OTOH, please do (good opp to let 'em know that WE think it's effed up, too). Hmmm... don't bring that shit up unless they approach it first.

Do you speak any Spainish? An English class in Spain; I'm thinking there will be a bit of a language barrier.

My best advice is to just relax and keep it casual. Any humor added will be a plus -- get 'em to laugh a bit and you win. Are they expecting a lecture, or an interaction?

ETA: Somewhere around here, I have a map of the US you can use as a visual aid. Ah, yes... here it is:
http://kf0rt.westton.com/graph/usamap.png

ETA2: Some effer from Nebraska must have done that.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
You get to be an ambassador for the world's greatest country. PLEASE don't talk about our politics. OTOH, please do (good opp to let 'em know that WE think it's effed up, too). Hmmm... don't bring that shit up unless they approach it first.

Do you speak any Spainish? An English class in Spain; I'm thinking there will be a bit of a language barrier.

My best advice is to just relax and keep it casual. Any humor added will be a plus -- get 'em to laugh a bit and you win. Are they expecting a lecture, or an interaction?

Interaction. I dont think language will be too much of an issue. Most of them have been learning English since birth. Its not just a HS requirement but also they start learning at school in grade school. Ofc, their teacher will be there to translate if there is a barrier. As well as my mother in-law. So, I am not too worried about that.

And yes, I took Spanish in high school. I am also learning from my bride to be as well as my mother in-law. Ofc, my Spanish is still rudimentary. However, this will be some months away. So, there is still time to improve.

K7SGJ
02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Let me teach you some "must know" Spanish. Ah, well, um.............never mind. You'd get tossed out on your ass.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Let me teach you some "must know" Spanish. Ah, well, um.............never mind. You'd get tossed out on your ass.

More often than not Valenciano is spoken in the area I will be in, not Spanish. Ofc, they all speak Spanish as it is the national language.

NQ6U
02-03-2012, 07:46 PM

"Buenos dias, su pinché cabrons y cabronas! Chinga tu madres!"

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Oy vey. Lol, they are children and I am a guest. =P

Ofc the term "De puta madre." Threw me for a loop. "Fucking great or Wicked" Not even close to what I thought the first time I heard it. Ofc you can translate it to mean what you will such as "Fucking eh" etc but basically its a exclamation of excitement.

kf0rt
02-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Yer on a learning quest, my son. Enjoy it; these opportunities don't come along often. ;)

XE1/N5AL
02-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Interaction. I dont think language will be too much of an issue. Most of them have been learning English since birth. Its not just a HS requirement but also they start learning at school in grade school.You might throw a few popular English-language idioms into the presentation for the kids to figure out (with your help). Often, students of a foreign language are interested in learning the way people "really talk" in that language -- in addition to the hermetically-sealed, academic version they learn in class.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Yer on a learning quest, my son. Enjoy it; these opportunities don't come along often. ;)

I was just saying that to my parents and to Pilar. Growing up we often had speakers come to our school from far away lands but never did I think that one day I would be the speaker in a far away land. It truly is exciting.

You might throw a few popular English-language idioms into the presentation for the kids to figure out (with your help). Often, students of a foreign language are interested in learning the way people "really talk" in that language -- in addition to the hermetically-sealed, academic version they learn in class.

Yes, that is a good point. Even with Pilar I often find myself using idioms and her saying "What does that mean?". She ofc does the same with me. This leads to us laughing and talking about how we have similar sayings and such but because they are of a different language they go over our heads. For example, in Spain they have a saying "That will cost you the eyes off your face." (rough translation). Ofc we would say "This will cost you an arm and a leg". Etc.

Also, the learn British English so there are going to be differences and it will as you said interest them to learn how we (Americans talk). Just last year they had a native speaker from Australia. It is good that they have been fortunate enough to have 1-2 speakers each year. :)

NA4BH
02-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Just sent you an email about this place.

W3WN
02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Don't forget your Terrible Towel.

...don't snicker too hard, we sent one to my niece in London, and she was absolutely thrilled...

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't forget your Terrible Towel.

...don't snicker too hard, we sent one to my niece in London, and she was absolutely thrilled...

I dont own any black and gold. =P

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Just sent you an email about this place.

Ty. =)

W2NAP
02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I was just saying that to my parents and to Pilar. Growing up we often had speakers come to our school from far away lands but never did I think that one day I would be the speaker in a far away land. It truly is exciting.

Yes, that is a good point. Even with Pilar I often find myself using idioms and her saying "What does that mean?". She ofc does the same with me. This leads to us laughing and talking about how we have similar sayings and such but because they are of a different language they go over our heads. For example, in Spain they have a saying "That will cost you the eyes off your face." (rough translation). Ofc we would say "This will cost you an arm and a leg". Etc.

Also, the learn British English so there are going to be differences and it will as you said interest them to learn how we (Americans talk). Just last year they had a native speaker from Australia. It is good that they have been fortunate enough to have 1-2 speakers each year. :)

just think of all the american accents you will have to do.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 09:16 PM
just think of all the american accents you will have to do.

Im not very good at impersonations.

kf0rt
02-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Tell ya whut, Travis... You've already got it half nailed.

Perspective from an old fart: Had these chances years ago and blew 'em. Oh, man I wish I could get a mulligan on some of this. If you have any sense of adventure at all (and we know you do), this is the set-up of a lifetime and you won't regret it. Your only enemy is unwarranted fear.

Send pictures. :)

XE1/N5AL
02-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Even with Pilar I often find myself using idioms and her saying "What does that mean?". She ofc does the same with me. This leads to us laughing and talking about how we have similar sayings and such but because they are of a different language they go over our heads. For example, in Spain they have a saying "That will cost you the eyes off your face." (rough translation). Ofc we would say "This will cost you an arm and a leg". Etc.

Also, the learn British English so there are going to be differences and it will as you said interest them to learn how we (Americans talk). Just last year they had a native speaker from Australia. It is good that they have been fortunate enough to have 1-2 speakers each year. :)When I worked for a big Japanese company, my Japanese bosses and I had an important joint-venture meeting with an American company. After the meeting, my bosses looked a bit perplexed. They had understood everything spoken by the Americans during the proceedings, except for one thing: they couldn't figure out what the heck was "a horse of a different color"!

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Tell ya whut, Travis... You've already got it half nailed.

Perspective from an old fart: Had these chances years ago and blew 'em. Oh, man I wish I could get a mulligan on some of this. If you have any sense of adventure at all (and we know you do), this is the set-up of a lifetime and you won't regret it. Your only enemy is unwarranted fear.

Send pictures. :)

Yes, it amazes me the opportunity that has reared its head. As for fear, no need. I have Pilar, she gives me courage. Also, my in-laws are better than anyone could ever expect. So encouraging to both of us. What little family of my own that I associate with is also very supportive.

W7XF
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
¡Pinché COCHINA!

KC2UGV
02-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Learn from this guy: http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

Albeit, that was in Japan, so YMMV.

N8GAV
02-06-2012, 02:04 PM

So Carlos, "Baseball been berry berry good to you too?"