PDA

View Full Version : Instant Coffee

n2ize
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I remember when i was a kid back in the 1950's and early 60's the big thing was "instant coffee". Maxwell House, Sanka, Chock Full O Nuts. It came in glass jars that had a vacuum seal under the screw on lid. Maxwell House was the big one that everyone seemed to use. My parents used it all the time. They only used the percolator on special occasions, usually when we had guests. Everyone liked it because all you needed was a cup of hot water and a measuring spoon.

Nowadays it's rare I see instant coffee much. Everyone has gone back to brewing.

KG4CGC
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Never put instant coffee in the microwave.

KB3LAZ
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Ew, dirty sock water.

K7SGJ
02-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I've been using a Keurig for many years and I have some refillable kcup baskets for it. The prefilled are too damn expensive, so I grind my own coffee and can do fresh a cup at a time. A freash hot cup is always ready to be made, and this way I don't waste a half a pot, or have a pot go bitter before I get to it. In the evening, I'll just throw some instant decaf in a cup and get the hot water from the Keurig. It's really not too bad for a quick cup.

KB3LAZ
02-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I've been using a Keurig for many years and I have some refillable kcup baskets for it. The prefilled are too damn expensive, so I grind my own coffee and can do fresh a cup at a time. A freash hot cup is always ready to be made, and this way I don't waste a half a pot, or have a pot go bitter before I get to it. In the evening, I'll just throw some instant decaf in a cup and get the hot water from the Keurig. It's really not too bad for a quick cup.

I use Nespresso, same concept. Stronger rich coffee per cup. Love it.

KC9ECI
02-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Vile stuff. That said, I keep a jar hidden somewhere at work for emergency use. That's in the event that the can of grounds I have hidden for emergencies runs out.

kf0rt
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Tried a cup of coffee once when I was younger. Didn't like it and never picked up the habit (not that it's a bad thing).

Enjoying a "spot of tea" these days. Total newbie to this, but I'm kind of liking the Celestial Seasonings chamomile.

KG4CGC
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Tried a cup of coffee once when I was younger. Didn't like it and never picked up the habit (not that it's a bad thing).

Enjoying a "spot of tea" these days. Total newbie to this, but I'm kind of liking the Celestial Seasonings chamomile.
Does that contain actual "tea" leaves? Otherwise, I say, you're just drinking, "Natures Ludes."

ETA: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/icon/g-RX.jpg

WØTKX
02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Put the tea kettle on the burner. Grind the beans in the grinder.
Put the (coarse) grounds in the french press. Wait for the boil.

Pour the hot water into the press, wait 1-2 min, and plunge it!

Short wait, instant enough. Gourmet. Kickass Caffeine.

http://spacemaker.spacemaker-coffeemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Bodum-french-press-Bodum-Brazil.jpg

Not fast enough?

Put the grounds in your mouth, sip hot water and swish! :mrgreen:

kf0rt
02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Does that contain actual "tea" leaves? Otherwise, I say, you're just drinking, "Natures Ludes."

ETA: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/icon/g-RX.jpg

From the box:

The soothing sweet apple notes in this beloved tea are achieved by blending elegant chamomile flowers from around the world. Our golden Egyptian chamomile has a delicate floral quality, while chamomile from Mexico contributes a sweet, earthy flavor. You'll take comfort in a cup of this perfectly blended chamomile tea any time of day.

We've used chamomile from the same family of Egyptian farmers for 30 years! The whole village helps harvest, dry and sift the crop by hand.

Delicate floral quality? Egads, I think I've been drinking douche!

ETA: It's caffeine-free.

ki4itv
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
We do the K-cup thingy now.
Almost too easy. You know you've had too much when you're still vibrating at 9pm.

KG4CGC
02-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Delicate floral quality? Egads, I think I've been drinking douche!

Quote of the month!
Happy GH Day!

kb2vxa
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
"Everyone has gone back to brewing."
Maybe because instant tastes like it's dried sludge?

"A freash hot cup is always ready to be made, and this way I don't waste a half a pot, or have a pot go bitter before I get to it."
My fresh hot cup is already made, yesterday's leftovers in the microwave. The key to keeping it fresh is keeping it cool, heat is what makes it turn swampy so I just turn off the heat. Why does BK coffee taste fresh when it comes out of a machine? There's a bag of concentrate in there, just add hot water. I guess the key is not removing all the water?

"Our golden Egyptian chamomile has a delicate floral quality..."
I too noticed the similarity to Massengill. There's this story of Tony, scallions, a hot date and emergency mouth wash but you don't want to hear it.

n6hcm
02-04-2012, 06:34 AM
i had a keurig and gave it away. coffee wasn't strong enough, but was kinda expensive.

otoh, the french press rocks.

KB3LAZ
02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Too much water. K-cup should be (imo) used to make a 2.5oz cup of coffee. Made to simulate the flavor of an espresso. I find that the Nespresso caps do this much better than Keurig.

KC9ECI
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I'd give up coffee all together except my employer has some funny ideas about what time I come to work and drinking beer during working hours.

KG4CGC
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I'd give up coffee all together except my employer has some funny ideas about what time I come to work and drinking beer during working hours.

I was kind of under the impression that your employer was cool with beer after 1pm.

KC9ECI
02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
I was kind of under the impression that your employer was cool with beer after 1pm.

We get away with a little, but not in the quantities that I would prefer.

ki4itv
02-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Too much water. K-cup should be (imo) used to make a 2.5oz cup of coffee. Made to simulate the flavor of an espresso. I find that the Nespresso caps do this much better than Keurig.

There is a button for that on ours. I like the thing when I don't have time to sit and throw back a whole pot. Lynne (xyl) thought I was crazy for keeping the brewer and the grinder sitting on the counter when she bought the thing. We do both. It's all about time, and if you do it right, saves those tightass hambucks.

KB3LAZ
02-05-2012, 12:37 AM
There is a button for that on ours. I like the thing when I don't have time to sit and throw back a whole pot. Lynne (xyl) thought I was crazy for keeping the brewer and the grinder sitting on the counter when she bought the thing. We do both. It's all about time, and if you do it right, saves those tightass hambucks.

Personally I like the liquid concentrate caps. That shit will knock your dick in the dirt. However, nothing beats a caffe style coffee from Italy. The Spanish do come damn close. Its no wonder they laugh at our espresso shops. Lets exclude starbucks..thats burnt horseshit. =P

That being said, whereas my favorite thing to order is a caffe con leche (latte), I can not resist a good ole fashion caffe Americano. Heh, Pilar calls this dirty sock water. She grew fond of panera bread while here because she does not like filtered coffee. I suppose having grown up on it, I just cant shake it. Not that I really have a desire to. Thank god mum enjoys English coffee and brews at home. (I dont see any difference between English coffee and our own. Both water filtered ground.)

If there is one thing I despise more than instant it is Turkish coffee. Just an aside.

KG4CGC
02-05-2012, 02:00 AM
We get away with a little, but not in the quantities that I would prefer.

Weed cookies or I think you can get a prescription for Marinol™ up there.

KG4CGC
02-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Personally I like the liquid concentrate caps. That shit will knock your dick in the dirt. However, nothing beats a caffe style coffee from Italy. The Spanish do come damn close. Its no wonder they laugh at our espresso shops. <snip>
If there is one thing I despise more than instant it is Turkish coffee. Just an aside.
Turkish, you don't like?
Now THAT, will Kick Your Dick in the DIRT!
One night, years and years ago, we were making espresso with Turkish ground on a really big machine. You need the professional machine because it can push the steam through those very fine grinds. Tried it on an average home machine last year. Forget it.
Anyway, high octane, octane coffee with a shot of white rum. We was doing it. Several. It was like being wired and on XTC. Not that I've ever done drugs but that's the best way to describe it. We were up all night. Hit downtown at 11pm and found a street concert with a Pearl Jam cover band. The whole crowd was jumping, literally. About 4am we walked the 4 miles back home.

KB3LAZ
02-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Turkish, you don't like?
Now THAT, will Kick Your Dick in the DIRT!
One night, years and years ago, we were making espresso with Turkish ground on a really big machine. You need the professional machine because it can push the steam through those very fine grinds. Tried it on an average home machine last year. Forget it.
Anyway, high octane, octane coffee with a shot of white rum. We was doing it. Several. It was like being wired and on XTC. Not that I've ever done drugs but that's the best way to describe it. We were up all night. Hit downtown at 11pm and found a street concert with a Pearl Jam cover band. The whole crowd was jumping, literally. About 4am we walked the 4 miles back home.

Its not that I dont like the caffeine buz, its the taste and consistency. I do realize that most coffee drinkers will disagree with me but I find Turkish coffee to be unpalatable. I dont much care for Cuban coffee either.

KG4CGC
02-05-2012, 03:07 AM
I hear ya. Turkish, had in the traditional manner, is rather the sludge fest. Cuban, I believe is supposed to be brewed strong and mixed half and half with leche.

KC9ECI
02-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Weed cookies or I think you can get a prescription for Marinol™ up there.

Lortab and Flexeril are tolerated. At least for the first half of December in my case. This business of getting older and shoveling snow is for the birds.

KC2UGV
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Kuerig is taking off, but for single cups, I prefer my single cup brewer, or Flavia machines. Flavia machines are a waste of packaging, and I feel bad every time I use it...

n2ize
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Not that I've ever done drugs but

I have never done drugs. I have taken drugs though.

Coffee ?? To me is something to sharpen and focus thinking, like a fine tuning agent for the mind. Too much coffee however gives me anxiety. I wish that coca tea was legal. As a stimulant coca is far superior to caffeine.

NQ6U
02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I wish that coca tea was legal. As a stimulant coca is far superior to caffeine.

I wish it were legal in the form it was originally used in it's indigenous area—as leaves, chewed along with an alkaline substance. That's a whole different thing than Peruvian Marching Powder.

n2ize
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I wish it were legal in the form it was originally used in it's indigenous area—as leaves, chewed along with an alkaline substance.

That is pretty much what the tea is like. Used as a tea or in leaf form it is quite safe and is not going to turn a person into a crazed coke fiend. It is a lot like the way we use coffee. Who knows, maybe Nanny will outlaw coffee one day... decaf only !!! Think of the children

That's a whole different thing than Peruvian Marching Powder.

I know. Powder form it is sudden, intense, and quite likable and more likely to become an obsession.

KB3LAZ
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Could use some bamboo and blow some Yopo up your nose. Dont worry about the green shit that will ooze out of your nose, that isnt your brain, just mucus. Just remember to use the proper bamboo stick, if you grab the blow gun you may get a shot of poison dart frog venom and that is sure to ruin your day.

kb2vxa
02-05-2012, 10:23 PM
"Dont worry about the green shit that will ooze out of your nose, that isnt your brain, just mucus."

Thanks for telling me but you're about 40 years too late. The most psychoactive chemical in it is dimethyltryptamine (DMT) with emphasis on TRYP! The short story is 10mg powdered hash plus 10mg DMT in a pipe and for the next hour I was watching color TV on a black and white set with an odd ring in my ears... and it wasn't the test pattern. Those were the days when drug research took a different direction and the good stuff came in little brown laboratory bottles.

KG4CGC
02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Did you see the house spirits of someone's long gone grandparents dancing in the corners of the ceiling? Was that before or after the trip through the starfields?

n2ize
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I never cared much for any substance that causes things to appear significantly altered. I am more of a "mood alter-er" than a "mind or consciousnesses bender".

K7SGJ
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
I wish it were legal in the form it was originally used in it's indigenous area—as leaves, chewed along with an alkaline substance. That's a whole different thing than Peruvian Marching Powder.

It would certainly bring a whole new meaning to grazing.