PDA

View Full Version : I wanna Ten Tec Argonaut V and I want it now

KK4AMI
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm putting my ol' Alinco DX-70 in my truck. Now I want a Ten Tec base in the house. I like the possibilities of the Argonaut V. Sure a lousy 20 watt output, but I think it can grow with an amp later. Plus its really the only Ten Tec I can afford. There is one on the TenTec Website, but they want $740. Its gotta be cheaper somewhere else?

KG4CGC
01-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Keep saving you raisins and nuts.

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
I too have longed for one.

N8YX
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
I'll settle for a Paragon II and an Omni 6A.

KK4AMI
01-31-2012, 07:18 PM
I'll settle for a Paragon II and an Omni 6A.

...and how is that settling? I think those two are more expensive then the Argonaut V. I've been checking the stuff you recommended. The TS-940 is almost a $1000 proposition!
I read that the Argonaut V is pretty good on AM to.

W3WN
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
I wanna Ten Tec Argonaut V and I want it now

Yeah? Me too.

That's a good price, and while you can find Argonaut V's cheaper (by about $50 - 100), consider that you're buying a refurbed unit from Ten-Tec themselves. That ALONE is worth an extra $200, and if you buy one elsewhere, you are taking it on faith that everything's OK. Consider what it would cost to have Ten-Tec service check the rig out... plus shipping...

Don't quibble. Buy it while you can.

I came very close to buying one, but before I made up my mind to run up the charge card, they went out of production. I did have temporary custody of one while W3RJM was in the hospital, and I've used W3WH's at his QTH.

Now, at a max of 25 watts out, you'd think that they're at a great disadvantage compared to a stock 100 W rig. Despite technically being 6 dB down, as a practical matter, no difference; I've broken pileups with them.

I still want one, even though I really don't NEED one right now. Now that I have the Omni VI+, and the Corsair II, if I got an Argonaut V, it would most likely be used as a remote controlled (via a laptop) dedicated packet station. Plus, with a PM-2B, Tuna Tin II, and K9AY QRP rigs in the shack (to say nothing of my classic Ameco AC-1) I really can't justify another QRP rig.

But I still want one!!

WØTKX
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I understand the lust. The Argo V is very nice, but commands a premium on the used market. A used Jupiter isn't that much more, and a damn fine everyday rig. I have a Delta II. High power version of the Argonaut II, it will do 100 watts full duty cycle. If I sold it (they are rare) it would be for about $650. The Pegasus (baby Jupiter, no knobs) can be found for $600-$800 depending on condition and accessories. Those are my newest Ten Tec rigs. I also have four of their transverters.

Have two Omni D's and a Corsair I. All have matching supplies and VFO's. All were about 200-300 for the radio, 50 or so for the supplies, and a hundred for the VFO. The later Omni rigs (V, VI, and VI+) are pretty pricey used as well, are excellent rigs... but again, they hold their value, so are going to be close to a used Jupiter.

To be honest with you, if you were looking at $600 or so, the Flex 1500 is amazing for the price... but also requires a PC, and a faster one than the Pegasus. Rescuing used Ten Tec rigs is a fine thing to do. My latest is the Corsair I, good looking and a performer. :yes:

http://tentecwiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=560.jpg

N8YX
01-31-2012, 08:43 PM
...and how is that settling? I think those two are more expensive then the Argonaut V. I've been checking the stuff you recommended. The TS-940 is almost a $1000 proposition!
I read that the Argonaut V is pretty good on AM to.
I have $1k into two loaded 940's. One cost me $250 plus $50 for a better faceplate...and about 8 hours bench time to fix the VCO/PLL circuit boards.

It's back on the bench for a power supply upgrade - new cooling fan and mounts, plus a crowbar circuit for the 28v PA line. Have to repair the attenuator pad and am going to perform the AM mod while the rig is apart. When it's finished I'll do the same to the one which arrived in "working" condition.

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
I have $1k into two loaded 940's. One cost me $250 plus $50 for a better faceplate...and about 8 hours bench time to fix the VCO/PLL circuit boards.

It's back on the bench for a power supply upgrade - new cooling fan and mounts, plus a crowbar circuit for the 28v PA line. Have to repair the attenuator pad and am going to perform the AM mod while the rig is apart. When it's finished I'll do the same to the one which arrived in "working" condition.

Personally I liked both my 930 and 950 better than my 940. I was rig sitting for lack of a better term a TS-870S, boy do I miss that radio.

KK4AMI
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM

You have me at an advantage with your repair capabilities. I've been watching working TS-940s on ebay going from 750 to 1000.

NQ6U
01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
The Argonaut is a piece of junk. You need a Swan 350 instead. You'll have people chasing you all over the bands just to talk you you.

KG4CGC
01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
The Argonaut is a piece of junk. You need a Swan 350 instead. You'll have people chasing you all over the bands just to talk you you.
(emphasis mine)
True Story.

WX7P
02-01-2012, 01:30 AM
No, Carl.

A Swan 500CX, now that's a RIG! Get them sweep tubes a pumpin'!

W3WN
02-01-2012, 07:54 AM
The Argonaut is a piece of junk. You need a Swan 350 instead. You'll have people chasing you all over the bands just to talk you you.I know where you can get a Swan 350 station, complete with remote VFO, mobile power supply, and matching SWR bridge. Any time you want to trade your Argonaut V for it, just say the word.

KK4AMI
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Nope,Nope,Nope! I got my first TenTec radio. Got a great deal on an Argonaut V with TCXO, cooling fans and a power supply. Let the PSK and computer control begin. Now I'll save up some money for a small linear that will do AM! Ha Ha, fat chance on finding one that can be driven efficiently with 20 watts and still be legal.

ki4itv
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Congrats Mike!
My dad uses a 20W rig and has few complaints. (older hybrid Yaesu 301?)
The TXCO is good to have if you find yourself getting heavy into digital modes. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.
Go forth and contact!
Kudos!

KK4AMI
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Congrats Mike!
My dad uses a 20W rig and has few complaints. (older hybrid Yaesu 301?)
The TXCO is good to have if you find yourself getting heavy into digital modes. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.
Go forth and contact!
Kudos!

Heck, that is what started me on this quest. The Yaesu 301SD I think. Very hard to find.

KB3LAZ
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
301s is 10w. I have one. It ranges depending on band 8-15w. Its all solid state, too.

I like mine. Loved the price. =D

Also, 20w should on a lot of amps get you about 300-400w out on AM. I know 30w gave me aprox 500w on my FL-2100B.

WØTKX
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Hook that Argonaut to a decent speaker and enjoy how listenable that receiver is... :yes:

W3WN
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Nope,Nope,Nope! I got my first TenTec radio. Got a great deal on an Argonaut V with TCXO, cooling fans and a power supply. Let the PSK and computer control begin. Now I'll save up some money for a small linear that will do AM! Ha Ha, fat chance on finding one that can be driven efficiently with 20 watts and still be legal.
Ten-Tec is about to come out with a new linear for the Argonaut level rigs. It will be known as the Model 418, and it will provide 100 W output. I don't know if it will be rated for full output on AM (or RTTY or other full duty cycle modes), I haven't seen the final specs yet.

It is intended to match the upcoming Ten Tec 539 QRP rig. The 539 will be a 10 W out unit, so you'd have to dial the Argonaut V output back accordingly.

I believe the 418 will be coming out "soon", and that TT will be taking "pre-orders" on the 539 at Dayton this year. that was as of last October, so of course, schedules are subject to change.

Prototypes of both units were displayed at the 2011 Ten Tec Hamfest. I got pictures and descriptions of the on K4SWL's web site (http://qrper.com/tag/ten-tec/).

...on edit: Correction, the 418 WILL do AM & RTTY. See: http://qrper.com/2011/10/ten-tec-answers-your-questions-about-the-model-539-qrp-transceiver-and-model-418-100-watt-amplifier/

w0aew
02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I have the Argonaut V but don't think I'll invest in an amp since the difference between 20 and 100 watts wouldn't be all that great on my main mode of CW. On digital, generally Olivia, 10 watts seems to get out just fine with my antenna system.

If I worked much SSB with this rig, that might be another story.

N8YX
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
If I had an Argo-V I would be tempted to build an HF all-band amp with a 3CX800A7 or similar tube. 20-25w drive for 800+w PEP output would do it.

KK4AMI
02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Ten-Tec is about to come out with a new linear for the Argonaut level rigs. It will be known as the Model 418, and it will provide 100 W output. I don't know if it will be rated for full output on AM (or RTTY or other full duty cycle modes), I haven't seen the final specs yet.

It is intended to match the upcoming Ten Tec 539 QRP rig. The 539 will be a 10 W out unit, so you'd have to dial the Argonaut V output back accordingly.

I believe the 418 will be coming out "soon", and that TT will be taking "pre-orders" on the 539 at Dayton this year. that was as of last October, so of course, schedules are subject to change.

Prototypes of both units were displayed at the 2011 Ten Tec Hamfest. I got pictures and descriptions of the on K4SWL's web site (http://qrper.com/tag/ten-tec/).

...on edit: Correction, the 418 WILL do AM & RTTY. See: http://qrper.com/2011/10/ten-tec-answers-your-questions-about-the-model-539-qrp-transceiver-and-model-418-100-watt-amplifier/

Thank you, that link is water to a thirsty man. I'll start saving my pennies for the TT 418. AM and SSB will be possible. The best part will be that my entire station will fit in my little oak secretary's desk!

KB3LAZ
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Wonder what the price range of the 539 will be. Didnt see any info. Now, I may just hold off on buying a 817 in Spain.

KB3LAZ
02-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Wonder what the price range of the 539 will be. Didnt see any info. Now, I may just hold off on buying a 817 in Spain.

It appears that the price range is vague but stated to probably be under 1000$ USD. Reading the Q&A, making my own assessment, and comparing the performance VS downfalls I am willing to bet it will be priced between the 817 and the K3X. It would not surprise me to see an 800-900$ price tag on it.

Likely no 60m, wont matter to me not being in the US. It seems that 160 is on the fence but antenna restrictions keep many off of 160 as it is. No 2m/70cm, again imo not a significant loss.

The up side from what I have read, roofing filters, DSP, and optional xtal filters.

I think if this comes in at under 900$ I will give it a whirl.

As for the amps...Qrp amps IMO are silly. If I wanted to run 100w I would just buy a 100w rig for less than the combo of the rig and the amp. Run qrp..turn down the power. But, that is jmo.

W3WN
02-10-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't think Ten-Tec wants to set a firm price until they're ready to go into production. Drop Stan Brock (I can't remember his call) an email at sales@tentec.com and see if he can give you a better answer.

It's nice to see that they're staying in the business. Elecraft and (to a lesser extent) Flex have become the hot topics in a lot of circles, but TT hasn't lost a step.

Especially now that another former Amateur radio company is going away... you did hear about Drake, right?

NQ6U
02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
you did hear about Drake, right?

You talkin' about this (http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?20408-Blonder-Tongue-Buys-R-L-Drake&p=405405&viewfull=1#post405405)?

W3WN
02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
You talkin' about this (http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?20408-Blonder-Tongue-Buys-R-L-Drake&p=405405&viewfull=1#post405405)?Yup.

KB3LAZ
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Didnt even know Drake was still in business in the first place, lol.

W3WN
02-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Didnt even know Drake was still in business in the first place, lol.The company was, just no longer in the ham market.

KB3LAZ
02-11-2012, 04:29 PM
http://qrper.com/2012/01/update-ten-tec-should-take-orders-for-the-model-539-qrp-transceiver-at-dayton/

Looks like TT may be taking orders at Dayton. We will see.

W5IEI
02-12-2012, 09:22 AM
This is a hard rig to beat for a guy wanting to get his feet wet on a Ten Tec.
I have 3 of them myself.
http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=970247

KB3LAZ
08-10-2012, 05:36 AM
http://www.tentec.com/products/Argonaut-V-QRP-Transceiver-Used.html

I remembered this thread when I saw this. Anyone still interested, here is a good chance. Too bad it is not in the cards for me until we get back to the states. =( The chances of this coming up again in the near future is slim.

The price tag is good as well. 700$ from ten tec when I see them go on QTH and ebay for about 650. Id take the factory refurb and worry a bit less.