PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Alienware?

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
As far as I can tell, when you're going for a gaming laptop, the only real game in town is Alienware, sold by Dell. Anyone use one? Or heard anything but good about them?

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 10:14 AM
As far as I can tell, when you're going for a gaming laptop, the only real game in town is Alienware, sold by Dell. Anyone use one? Or heard anything but good about them?

I used to have one. They have always been good but overpriced. Same with the dell xps line (another I have had).

Acer, Toshiba, Asus, MSI, and a few others have gaming lineups that are comparable at much lower prices. The truth is there is no such thing as a gaming laptop, no matter what they tell you, they are all compromised. Even my 2100$ Mtx-17 did not give me the FPS my 500$ desk top does. Now, mind you, an AW laptop is not portable per se but rather a desktop replacement.

If you are playing older games such as Shaiya, WoW, Combat arms, etc then a laptop with a 512k GPU will allow you to play flawlessly at about 27 FPS. But when it comes to Rift or call of duty you are looking at about 8FPS and stutter lag. In fact, my Aspire (338$ walmart buy with 256k GPU) will skate by on games such as Shaiya and WoW with 13FPS without lag. Its all going to come down to what you need it to do. If you want to hardcore game, simply avoid a laptop unless you have money to waste.

Toshiba Qosmi is a nice laptop if you must have a gaming lap. Check out New Egg. They have their own remake renditions of high end media pcs with boosted GPU that are more of a value line. Save 1000$ and still get a laptop that will do what you want. Example is that they built a gaming laptop off of a standard Aspire line. Took basically mine and threw a 1g GPU in it and slapped a 500$ price tag on it. It is what I settled for when gaming. It has yet to disappoint.

But as I said, If you need a laptop with 3G GPU go with a desk top with a 1G GPU, you wont regret it. Laptops are simply compromised.

Or, try Cyberpowerpc.com Build your own through them. Do so less OS and you can get an AW equivalent for 600-700$.

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks...but the ground rule at this QTH is NO desktops -- only laptops. No room or even desire for a desktop.

Given that...

The motivation for graphics oomph is the MS Flight Simulator. (Will be a separate thread about that). This Asus was just fine with that until I installed some add-on scenery (very well integrated). The extra scenery objects (that look awesome!) brought this baby to its knees. Avg frame rate went from about 15 to less than 10. NG. Grrrrrr. Time to think about upgrading. It's been said that (at least a few years ago), the Flight Sim can not be maxed with any current machines. Dunno about that, but it does imply that I'm gonna have to go some $$$$$ to get the frame rate back up to what it was (I'm just fine with 15 fps). What I DON'T know is how much graphics and CPU horsepower that's going to take. I know what this Asus has in its nVidea graphics and that can be a general guide, but I'd hate to spend bucks on something, only to find out it wasn't enough. I've seen Asus mentioned in "gaming machine" websites, but it was kinda vague & when I looked up the machine it didn't really inspire confidence that it actually had the oomph I'm looking for.

So....overpriced or not...the conclusion so far is that the only brand that I could confidently go for would be Alienware (your "overpriced" comment is the only negagtive I've read/heard). Given that AND it's sold by Dell, I'm pretty set on that. About the only thing that could convince me otherwise is if somebody told me, "Yea....Super Whiz-Bang X89000ertfv made by Acme Computers will run FSX at max frame rate & costs half what an Alienware would have."

So...any negatives about Alienware besides it's not really a "laptop" (Don't give a shit) and its "overpriced?" Could be a case of "you get what you pay for?" With the Alienware I'd also be getting Dell service.

kf0rt
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Make sure it'll run multiple monitors. Flight sim sucks on single monitor systems -- you need at least one for the "window" and one for the instruments. ;) :yes:

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks...but the ground rule at this QTH is NO desktops -- only laptops. No room or even desire for a desktop.

Given that...

The motivation for graphics oomph is the MS Flight Simulator. (Will be a separate thread about that). This Asus was just fine with that until I installed some add-on scenery (very well integrated). The extra scenery objects (that look awesome!) brought this baby to its knees. Avg frame rate went from about 15 to less than 10. NG. Grrrrrr. Time to think about upgrading. It's been said that (at least a few years ago), the Flight Sim can not be maxed with any current machines. Dunno about that, but it does imply that I'm gonna have to go some $$$$$ to get the frame rate back up to what it was (I'm just fine with 15 fps). What I DON'T know is how much graphics and CPU horsepower that's going to take. I know what this Asus has in its nVidea graphics and that can be a general guide, but I'd hate to spend bucks on something, only to find out it wasn't enough. I've seen Asus mentioned in "gaming machine" websites, but it was kinda vague & when I looked up the machine it didn't really inspire confidence that it actually had the oomph I'm looking for.

So....overpriced or not...the conclusion so far is that the only brand that I could confidently go for would be Alienware (your "overpriced" comment is the only negagtive I've read/heard). Given that AND it's sold by Dell, I'm pretty set on that. About the only thing that could convince me otherwise is if somebody told me, "Yea....Super Whiz-Bang X89000ertfv made by Acme Computers will run FSX at max frame rate & costs half what an Alienware would have."

So...any negatives about Alienware besides it's not really a "laptop" (Don't give a shit) and its "overpriced?" Could be a case of "you get what you pay for?" With the Alienware I'd also be getting Dell service.

Performance wise, no. Note, there are better laptops out there, for sure. However, they make AW PC's look cheap in comparison. You would be spending erm 7-8k$. So yes, if you dont mind spending the $$ and can deal with the size I would go with the M18x (you may want the 3D for your applications but I wouldnt know.)

I still say MSI and Clevo are better.

As I said, you can get AW performance outside of AW. This is going to come down to more of what you want.

Now, Idk why you are not into desktops, but so be it. You can get a desktop that takes up only a little more room than a massive AW. Not one like mine ofc. I run mine in a full case. Tri setup 2G GPU, 24G ram, AMD 8 core CPU.

Either way, I dont think the AW will disappoint you. Im just saying that you dont have to go AW to get the same setup. Had I the cash to throw around I would buy a (erm...12th? laptop) and get the M11x.

As bode of confidence, AW normally sits in the top 5 gaming laptops. Always the top 10. Rarely does it achieve #1 but most of the time it is #2. But again, it is getting beat out by 7+k$ laptops.

For gaming, AW is and always will be overkill. For FS? I have no idea.

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Make sure it'll run multiple monitors. Flight sim sucks on single monitor systems -- you need at least one for the "window" and one for the instruments. ;) :yes:

I would think that SLI and or dual GPU via crossfire would be a good way to go.

PS for Op: Just threw in dual GPU on the M18x + 32 gig ram. So far at 6000$. May want to look into buying a small jet. :P

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Hum. Just looked up the specs. I dont think the damage will be as bad as I was thinking.

Suggested for your application

3GHz quad core
4G Ram
1G GPU

Many PC's are capable of this. As I said, if you simply want an opinion on AW. I have had the (still do) M17x and older models. No complaint outside of price. Mind you, I never buy stock. I always max it.

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Hum. Just looked up the specs. I dont think the damage will be as bad as I was thinking.

Suggested for your application

3GHz quad core
4G Ram
1G GPU

Many PC's are capable of this. As I said, if you simply want an opinion on AW. I have had the (still do) M17x and older models. No complaint outside of price. Mind you, I never buy stock. I always max it.

Thanks for doing my homework for me -- now, why didn't I think of that? Well, I didn't & thank you for doing my thinking for me.

The AW that I just priced for 1.8K far exceeds that. Will go check this out.

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM

Pity you can't do 4 monitors -- four views plus instruments!

I'll have to check out using two...never tried that.

But I'll adjourn to a new FS thread I'm about to start.

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
ThinkI found what I'm looking for. There are some youtube demos of FS on different machines -- look like an AW M14x will do the job and then some.

kf0rt
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Pity you can't do 4 monitors -- four views plus instruments!

I'll have to check out using two...never tried that.

But I'll adjourn to a new FS thread I'm about to start.

Wouldn't be hard to do four -- I've got a machine here at work that will drive 5 monitors; it's all a question of cards and slots. Normal work machine has 3 monitors. (And now you know why I'm not into laptops. :rofl:)

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
ThinkI found what I'm looking for. There are some youtube demos of FS on different machines -- look like an AW M14x will do the job and then some.

Just a note. If you want a num pad the M14x does not have one.

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. Not a problem -- use an external keyboard with one. I'll be checking all the gazintaa and gazoutas on the machine again carefully (video ports & USB ports in particular) -- but the first look sez those are fine.

Read reviews on cnet (I think) & the guy kept griping about the physical styling of the machines. Guess he has his reasons, but I can't think of anything more irrelevant that how a computer looks. To each his own....

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. Not a problem -- use an external keyboard with one. I'll be checking all the gazintaa and gazoutas on the machine again carefully (video ports & USB ports in particular) -- but the first look sez those are fine.

Read reviews on cnet (I think) & the guy kept griping about the physical styling of the machines. Guess he has his reasons, but I can't think of anything more irrelevant that how a computer looks. To each his own....

Im picky. Styling is something I do look at but ergonomics is first. Seems you can use an external num pad, would drive me bonkers. I am also very picky about touch pads as I dont often use a mouse. I have to be able to use the touch pad while using the num pad. Both with my right hand. Two reasons for this. 1) Im a gamer of games that are num pad and touch pad driven. 2) Force of habit from work. Key conformity is a ver big deal for me also. Keys can not be risen or spaced. They have to be sunk in or flat and lay together like floor tiles. Soft touch keys with a smooth surface. The delete key can not be on the num pad it has to be on the key pad itself but in the num row. I dont care for back light keys but can deal with them. The caps lock key has to have an indicator light on the key itself. It must have braille on at least two keys on ever row or an physical rise on at least the F and J keys. If it has multi gesture I must be able to disable it. Physical volume control not requiring the function key. The ability to enable and disable wi-fi via switch. And lastly it must have a € key as I hate alt codes.

Function keys to adjust things such as brightness are always a plus. As are Stop, play, back, forward, etc function commands via keyboard.

<<<Picky.

NQ6U
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
What To Do If Aliens Appear:

Duck under the seat of your plane and look away.
Avoid eye contact.
If there are no eyes, avoid all contact.

W1GUH
02-01-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't think picky -- you know what works for you & that's what you use!

Re: Styling....

A few moments after I posted that I caught myself thinking, "Besides, those AW machine just look so damn cool! Yea, guilty of liking the styling! Especially the backlit keyboard they talk about!

Thanks for all the info, help, and tips!

Im picky. Styling is something I do look at but ergonomics is first. Seems you can use an external num pad, would drive me bonkers. I am also very picky about touch pads as I dont often use a mouse. I have to be able to use the touch pad while using the num pad. Both with my right hand. Two reasons for this. 1) Im a gamer of games that are num pad and touch pad driven. 2) Force of habit from work. Key conformity is a ver big deal for me also. Keys can not be risen or spaced. They have to be sunk in or flat and lay together like floor tiles. Soft touch keys with a smooth surface. The delete key can not be on the num pad it has to be on the key pad itself but in the num row. I dont care for back light keys but can deal with them. The caps lock key has to have an indicator light on the key itself. It must have braille on at least two keys on ever row or an physical rise on at least the F and J keys. If it has multi gesture I must be able to disable it. Physical volume control not requiring the function key. The ability to enable and disable wi-fi via switch. And lastly it must have a € key as I hate alt codes.

Function keys to adjust things such as brightness are always a plus. As are Stop, play, back, forward, etc function commands via keyboard.

<<<Picky.

KB3LAZ
02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't think picky -- you know what works for you & that's what you use!

Re: Styling....

A few moments after I posted that I caught myself thinking, "Besides, those AW machine just look so damn cool! Yea, guilty of liking the styling! Especially the backlit keyboard they talk about!

Thanks for all the info, help, and tips!

Lol, we are all guilty of desire due to styling at some point or another.

KC2UGV
02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
So, you have an external keyboard, and external yoke, and external mouse, and an external monitor; but you don't want a desktop? :-?

I would go with the advice: Get a desktop.

n2ize
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
So, you have an external keyboard, and external yoke, and external mouse, and an external monitor; but you don't want a desktop? :-?

I would go with the advice: Get a desktop.

I second that. If you are already using an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, yokes, controllers, etc. the desktop is not going to take up much more room than the laptop and will give much more versatility, in addition to being easier to repair, ,modify, etc. In addition, there are a lot of small and compact ergonomically designed desktop units around these days. They don't take up much room, are much easier to work on and are readily expandable . Then again, to each his own.

KB3LAZ
02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
The main thing is that desk tops can do a better job than a laptop at a much cheaper price. However, some people just dont like desktops. I have tried to convince my parents to get a desktop for a long time. Does not work. Rather than them giving me money every 2-3 years to go get them a new laptop I could just upgrade a desktop as they need. Or for that matter if they were willing to spend the cash, build them one that wont need upgraded likely at all in their lifetime. For their uses anyway. The funny thing is, my parents never take their laptop anywhere....

Anyway, as you said, to each their own.

N2RJ
02-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I knew a few people who have had Alienware laptops.

Heat issues and short battery life pretty much make them unusable to me. Tethered to an outlet and on a chill mat? You're fine with an alienware.

As for me, I use a MacBook Pro and a Sony VAIO. The VAIO has a 2-3 hour battery whereas the Mac can get up to 8 hours and more. I used mine pretty much constantly on a cross country trip from Newark to San Diego. Had battery life to last the whole trip.

I know, I know... some people don't like Macs. That's fine. You can run Windows too.

W1GUH
02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Dunno about the heat -- but for battery life, they're claiming that's improved with nvidea's new optimus tschnology. Don't really care -- it'll be tethered most of the time. This Asus will stay my usual road machine; unless, that is, I'm so blown away with the performance of the AW I can't bear to leave it!

And, BTW, I took some advice to heart and decided to check out the price of an AW desktop. They're more expensive than the laptops.

KB3LAZ
02-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Dunno about the heat -- but for battery life, they're claiming that's improved with nvidea's new optimus tschnology. Don't really care -- it'll be tethered most of the time. This Asus will stay my usual road machine; unless, that is, I'm so blown away with the performance of the AW I can't bear to leave it!

And, BTW, I took some advice to heart and decided to check out the price of an AW desktop. They're more expensive than the laptops.

Um...I didnt mean AW. Ofc their desktops cost more..look what is in them. You can get a desktop from another company for 1/10 of the price that does the same thing. Just cus AW looks sexy doesnt mean its the only brand, lol.

AW desktop is just a reason to spend more money than one needs to, period.

N2RJ
02-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Yep. I usually buy from HP because I get a discount or I assemble my own.

Last one I assembled was a HTPC. Micro Center for the win.

KC2UGV
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I don't think anyone suggested an AlienWare desktop...

n2ize
02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone suggested an AlienWare desktop...

Makes sense. With respect to desktops ​there is no reason to pay more to go alienware. Laptops, yes, Desktops, no... unless I am missing something

W1GUH
02-08-2012, 07:57 PM
What all of you have said about AW desktops rings true...I had a slight twinge of doubt about the reasonableness of what I had said. I was disappointed, really. Ah, but....

Then along comes Asus...

Saw a simply fabulously gorgeous & powerful Asus laptop at Best Buy for $1500 less than the AW I'm looking at. That definitely gives me pause. It WOULD do a good job with fsx maxed, for sure. What it won't do is 3D graphics, or look as cool as AW. So I'm certainly thinking about that. I've got a little time to consider all, and that time might make the decision for me. That particular machine from Asus may not be available "over the counter" when its time. I'll see....

And, who knows....with all the extra time I've got now, being on the dole and all, maybe I WILL get into building my own desktop. Could be fun, and definitely economical. Dunno -- but it's possible. (And I'd wish I was closer to a Frye's -- saw what looked like some awesome computer pieces in the El Segundo store). Also some some VERY sexy nVidea cards in Best Buy for not a lot of money.

But it IS reasonable that that kind of graphics power in a laptop will come with a hefty price premium. It means a big chunk of up-front NRE has to go into making it fit in a laptop, and that ain't cheap. But it DOES mean the the machine is 100% portable & not a problem to take with me wherever I go. Not necessarily to USE portabally, but, say, on a mid to long term trip - vacation or business. Provides AWESOME entertainment in an otherwise pretty boring hotel room.

For now, it's laptops all the way.

Thanks for all the words of advice. May not have sounded like it from my comments, but I DID hear them.

N2RJ
02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
ASUS laptops aren't bad, especially considering they are an OEM for others.

Their spin off, Pegatron (和碩聯合科技股份有限公司) also OEMs a lot of stuff for HP.

N2RJ
02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
dupe

KB3LAZ
02-10-2012, 01:29 PM
What all of you have said about AW desktops rings true...I had a slight twinge of doubt about the reasonableness of what I had said. I was disappointed, really. Ah, but....

Then along comes Asus...

Saw a simply fabulously gorgeous & powerful Asus laptop at Best Buy for $1500 less than the AW I'm looking at. That definitely gives me pause. It WOULD do a good job with fsx maxed, for sure. What it won't do is 3D graphics, or look as cool as AW. So I'm certainly thinking about that. I've got a little time to consider all, and that time might make the decision for me. That particular machine from Asus may not be available "over the counter" when its time. I'll see....

And, who knows....with all the extra time I've got now, being on the dole and all, maybe I WILL get into building my own desktop. Could be fun, and definitely economical. Dunno -- but it's possible. (And I'd wish I was closer to a Frye's -- saw what looked like some awesome computer pieces in the El Segundo store). Also some some VERY sexy nVidea cards in Best Buy for not a lot of money.

But it IS reasonable that that kind of graphics power in a laptop will come with a hefty price premium. It means a big chunk of up-front NRE has to go into making it fit in a laptop, and that ain't cheap. But it DOES mean the the machine is 100% portable & not a problem to take with me wherever I go. Not necessarily to USE portabally, but, say, on a mid to long term trip - vacation or business. Provides AWESOME entertainment in an otherwise pretty boring hotel room.

For now, it's laptops all the way.

Thanks for all the words of advice. May not have sounded like it from my comments, but I DID hear them.

I dont know how economical it is these days to build your own Desktop. I mean, it depends on how you build it, where you get your parts, etc. However, I like to build my own. Im picky and have slight OCD so it suites me well. I have a full size ATX with clear panels, a false bottom and false back to hide wires, and analog gauges. Love it! Its very tidy inside and allows for easy access to parts if they need swapped. I make sure to buy parts with braided wires..I hate lose wires.

Anyway, whichever way you go, make sure that YOU are happy with it. =)

W1GUH
02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
ASUS laptops aren't bad, especially considering they are an OEM for others.

Their spin off, Pegatron (和碩聯合科技股份有限公司) also OEMs a lot of stuff for HP.

Thanks, Ryan. Yea, this machine is an Asus laptop and it's had no issues for the 4 years I've had it. Like it a lot. Just want to upgrade for the MS Flight Sim.

Leaning towards the AW. It's got more headroom than the Asus. Will be good longer.

W1GUH
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
'LAZ

Anyway, whichever way you go, make sure that YOU are happy with it. =)

Yep. That's the bottom line.

I know I'll LOVE the power of the AW, was, really, just checking to see if they make good, robust, reliable machines. Guess they do; haven't heard/read anyting to the contray. And they're sold by Dell. IMHO, that's a good reference right there, or at least it used to be. With my old Dell coustomer service -- and even warranty service -- was top-notch.

KB3LAZ
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
As an aside, I personally have had bad experiences with dell in the past. Even after giving them a second chance. Again, that is just my experience. I have grown to the point where I like to assemble my own pcs. These days you do not shave bundles this way, however, I do know every part used.

W1GUH
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the Dell report. The way you expressed it, it doesn't sound like anything major? Do I have that right?

KB3LAZ
02-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the Dell report. The way you expressed it, it doesn't sound like anything major? Do I have that right?

Just an annoyance. Nothing big.

W1GUH
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks! My only annoyance with them was when one of their agents was in India. Normally, that doesn't bother met, but in that case the phone connection was lousy AND the agent INSISTED on speaking way to fast. But the service provided was AOK.

K7SGJ
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
We have purchased many Dells over the years; servers, desktops, laptops, and peripherals for my wifes business, and for personal use, too. Early on, we never had any issues with Dell products or support. Several years ago, we started having all kinds of problems getting any satisfactory customer service from them. Most every issue became long drawn out administrative nightmares, and resolutions were difficult to achieve. The primary problems were their continuing failure to follow through with what they said they would do, and the most frustrating was trying to get to someone who had the authority to actually make a decision. We got phone tours of everyone of their facilities many times. Probably got transferred to the restrooms a time or two as well. Toward the end of our relationship with them, I was firmly convinced they did not give a rats ass about their individual customers satisfaction, or the return business that was being lost. I guess the corporate sales are enough to sustain them. We will never do business with them again.

KB3LAZ
02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I dont think I have ever had a good customer service experience with the exception of American Airlines.

K7SGJ
02-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I dont think I have ever had a good customer service experience with the exception of American Airlines.

I didn't even know they sold computers. Huh, who knew?

W1GUH
02-14-2012, 11:29 AM

The machine I've got in mind, the M17, does have a num pad -- and a very sexy on at that!

And I see that AW has now started selling the M18. More research is in order.

KB3LAZ
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I didn't even know they sold computers. Huh, who knew?

They dont. I just meant that I have never got good CS from any form of organization, for the most part. I guess it is something that I have grown accustom to.

KG4CGC
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/8a7e8b7a.jpg

Alien enough?