PDA

View Full Version : The Philips BDP5406

N1LAF
01-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I purchased the Philips BDP5406 today at Walmart, for $118.95. It does have built-in WiFi, internet apps, Blue Ray, 3D, and it did something my previous DVD players would not do - read a hard drive from the USB port. Even the new Sony Blue ray with internet browsing choked on the external hard drive.

Specifications

Picture/Display
•Blu-ray 3D: Full HD 1080p
•Aspect ratio: 21:9, 16:9, 4:3
•Picture enhancement: High Def (720p, 1080i, 1080p), Progressive scan, Video upscaling
•D/A converter: 12Bit/148MHz

Video Playback
•Playback Media: BD Video, BD-ROM, BD-R/RE 2.0, DVD, DVD-Video, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, Video CD/SVCD, CD, CD-R/CD-RW, USB flash drive, DivX
•Compression formats: DivX Plus™ HD, H.264, MPEG2, VC-1, XviD, AVCHD
•Disc Playback Modes: Standard Play, Pause, Search forward/reverse, Slow Forward, Resume Playback from Stop, Skip, Disc Menu, Repeat, A-B Repeat, Zoom, Angle
•Video Enhancement: Deep Color, x.v. Color, Video Upscaling, Progressive Scan
•BD Region Code: A
•DVD Region Code: 1

Sound
•Sound System: DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, Dolby Digital
•Signal to noise ratio: 105 dB
•Dynamic Range (1kHz): 92*dB
•Frequency response: (20kHz) ±0.5dB (Max./Min. 2ch, DVD)*Hz
•D/A converter: 24 bit, 192 kHz

Audio Playback
•Playback Media: CD, CD-R/RW, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, USB flash drive
•Compression format: DTS, Dolby Digital, AAC (multi-channels), MP3, PCM, WMA

Digital Photo Playback
•Playback Media: USB flash drive, CD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW
•Picture Compression Format: JPEG
•Picture Enhancement: High Definition Resolution, Slideshow, Rotate, Zoom, Slideshow with MP3 playback

Connectivity
•Rear Connections: HDMI output, Digital coaxial out, Composite video (CVBS) output, Analog audio Left/Right out, Ethernet
•Front / Side connections: USB 2.0
•Network connections: Wi-Fi - 802.11 b/g/n

Convenience
•EasyLink: One touch play, One touch standby
•On-Screen Display languages: English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish
•Child Protection: Parental Control
•BD-Live(1GB USB memory needed)
•Firmware upgradeable: Firmware upgradeable via USB, Online firmware upgrade

N1LAF
01-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Weak point, as I found out tonight, if you use a bad disk, it may not eject the disk. Apparently, the software writers didn't put the eject button on interrupt, because a bad disk just spun and spun, and would not eject. The rest of the unit was functional, even when playing a video from hard drive on USB, the eject button would not release the disk.

There are no paperclip holes to force disk drive open

You have to remove the three cover screws from the back. Carefully remove top cover without breaking the plastic tabs along the front faceplate. The DVD drive is right there. Remove the four silver screws on the DVD drive top front, and unsnap the two back clips. This will allow partial open into the drive, keep the DVD cover open with thumb, maneuver the drive with the face pointing up, and give it a gentle shake. The disk will pop out and slide out of the DVD drive assembly. Reassemble and it will play like nothing happened.

n2ize
01-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Using a bad disk
I may not eject a disk
The breadmaker is in the sky
Looking sly
And shy.

K7SGJ
01-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Weak point, as I found out tonight, if you use a bad disk, it may not eject the disk. Apparently, the software writers didn't put the eject button on interrupt, because a bad disk just spun and spun, and would not eject. The rest of the unit was functional, even when playing a video from hard drive on USB, the eject button would not release the disk.

There are no paperclip holes to force disk drive open

You have to remove the three cover screws from the back. Carefully remove top cover without breaking the plastic tabs along the front faceplate. The DVD drive is right there. Remove the four silver screws on the DVD drive top front, and unsnap the two back clips. This will allow partial open into the drive, keep the DVD cover open with thumb, maneuver the drive with the face pointing up, and give it a gentle shake. The disk will pop out and slide out of the DVD drive assembly. Reassemble and it will play like nothing happened.

I have one that is like that, but I can get it to eject by pulling the plug, plug it back in, and hit eject and NOT the power button. It turns on the unit and ejects the disk, and then its good to go. Might be worth a try. I think what happens is the eject command happens before a read command tells the unit to scan the disk. And then agin, I might be full of shit.

KB3LAZ
01-30-2012, 12:43 AM
My DVD player was like that. I gave it away because it pissed me off so much. These days I dont watch much TV at all. If Pilar and I want to watch a movie we go to the cinema. We do watch a little BBCA and Food Network though.

Blue ray player isnt in my future.