PDA

View Full Version : Hypoglycimia...its the SUCK!

w3bny
01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Hookay... that was a ton of fun. Y'all know that bunneh is like the Easter display. Loaded with sugar. Anyway, sitting at 120 units of lantus and started to take Byetta Monday. WURF! that stuff works. Went from numbers in the high hundreds to....89~100 in the morning. My after lunch glucose differential is about 20pts and in some cases negative points! And as an added bonus not as hungry anymore. Bad thing....low...REALLY low blood sugar. I went to 60 today. Almost passed out. Had to slug a real coke and half a nut bar to bring me back to 130. No fun! Thank goodness that someone was in the other office to raid the fridge for me. Ugh. Well looks like I'm dialing DOWN lantus tonight.

Moral: Byetta works! and I'm just on the introductory dose!

NA4BH
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't have dial-o-beaties, but I do suffer from Hypoglycemia on occasions. I found that the peanutbutter cheese crackers and a non sugared beverage take care of it pretty quick. But you being diabetic, it may take the sugar to pull you out of it. It's one hell of a different feeling, best wishes to you.

w3bny
01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Good idea on the lance crackers! Will keep some in the desk. That peanut bar was like 30 carbs for the whole thing so not a big spike like the leaded coke. But it did do the trick and right quickly.

NA4BH
01-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Using sugar will get you out of it quick, but the crash afterwards is just as bad.

ab1ga
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
At one time I used, Metformin, Lantus, and Humalog. Dosing was a bit tricky, and my dose wouldn't stabilize. Decided to add just a wee bit of Humalog at bedtime.

Work up who knows when, cold sweats, shaky limbs. Damn near fell down the stairs getting to the kitchen. Measured glucose at 47.

The world ain't safe with a diabetic at 47. I opened, and I ate, an entire box of Grape-Nuts before I realized what I had done. Twenty-four hours later, I knew.

:)

N8YX
01-27-2012, 01:24 PM
What kind of diet modifications have you made prior to starting on your treatment regimen, or in conjunction with it?

ad4mg
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Good idea on the lance crackers! Will keep some in the desk. That peanut bar was like 30 carbs for the whole thing so not a big spike like the leaded coke. But it did do the trick and right quickly.

Orange juice. My wife is insulin dependent, but she's on the insulin pump now. Still, she occasionally suffers the little number syndrome. We keep several of those little cartons of orange juice in the fridge for just such occasions.

suddenseer
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I am diabetic, and always will be. Six months after going vegan the symptoms have all but disappeared. The A1C has fallen from a 7.1 to 5.5. My doc told me whatever I was doing is working. I still have readings like 150 after eating, and 105 upon awakening. My doc has me on a weaning off the meds program. The only diabetic medication I have ever taken is Metformin, I now take half as much. I am not saying a vegan diet will cure diabetes, but for me it sure made the symptoms, and blood readings that of a non-diabetic, yes I'm talking normal.

N8GAV
01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
The best thing I did was get an Insuiln Pump. Before I was taking 800 units 4x a day and 850mg of Metformin 3x a day, now it's spaced out evenly and down to 500 mg of Metformin 2 x a day. Don't have that daytime sleepy feeling, not drinking a ton of water,a big differance.

KG4CGC
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Even if you're just going down the road.
http://www.top-travel-tips.com/packing-checklists.html
Going the other way?
http://dex4.com/Back2School/hypo_posters.aspx
Livestrong!
http://www.livestrong.com/article/363261-traveling-kits-for-diabetics/

ab1ga
01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Before I was taking 800 units 4x a day

Sweet baby Jesus, 3200 UNITS A DAY?!?!

Check yourself for scars, OM. I think someone stole your pancreas while you weren't looking.

N8GAV
01-29-2012, 10:17 PM
80x4=320 not 3200

ab1ga
01-29-2012, 10:25 PM
OK, that's better. That typo almost gave me a heart attack!