PDA

View Full Version : Mouse or trackball?

W1GUH
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Usually use a trackball with my laptop. Needs less space than a mouse & for me, is more convenient. Not to mention a mouse reminds of work where I'm forced to use one. But there's ample space for a mouse there.

Was using this one:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8987/8987581_rc.jpg

But lately I wanted a wireless one, so I got this one:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/1260/1260761_sc.jpg

With that one and a wireless keyboard I can send the video to the "semi-big" (30") TV, sit back and lounge on the sofa and control the vide.....er MS Flight Simulator. Great way to do a computer!

KB3LAZ
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Touch pad.

KG4CGC
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I can't stand trackballs. Except for arcade golf.

WØTKX
01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
I really like my Kensington Orbit Trackball. The scroll ring tunes nicely in the PowerSDR software.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/sC_b002oowb3o-feat01lg.jpg

And my Bamboo Tablet.

http://www.tabletscomputer.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Bamboo-Tablet.jpg

KC2UGV
01-26-2012, 08:10 AM
I prefer a mouse. But, I'd say, get a cheap trackball, and see if you could like it; then splurge on your real one :)

W1GUH
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Always wondered why they don't call 'em Mouse Balls!

K7SGJ
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I use to use the Logitech trackball and trackman pictured. They were okay for awhile, but I ended up going back to a regular bluetooth mouse. I do like the ball for playing centipede and some of the old arcade games, but that's about it. As soon as I finish the kitchen cabinets, I am thinking about building a cocktail style video game table with a good quality ball in it.

W1GUH
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
The difference between the two I've had makes transitioning kinda tricky. Different fingers are involved & un-learning old habits is going slowly. But the new one has alll the bells and whistles & is a joy!

Built-in trackball? Very cool idea!

How about tissue dispencer? :evil:

KB3LAZ
01-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Idk, often times I have my laptop on..(drum roll) my lap. Therefore as I stated I use the touch pad. Ofc I use my thumb for control. I even learned to do this while gaming. :D

Now I have a question. Wft were those things in the center of the keyboard on old laptops called? Was a little round thing that you touched with your finger to make the mouse move. Pointing stick or something to that effect?

KG4CGC
01-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I think they were just called cursors. Keypad cursor. Finding yourself to be a cursor.

KB3LAZ
01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I think they were just called cursors. Keypad cursor. Finding yourself to be a cursor.

Anyway, I just thought of them because I found a bag of replacement tips for them in my desk.

ki4itv
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Neat desk guy? =mouse
Messy desk guy? =trackball

That pretty much sums it up for me. I have both situations and one of each.

W1GUH
01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
I just called 'em "the little thingie that moves the cursor!"

WØTKX
01-26-2012, 11:11 PM
I am a fan of the touchpad in most laptops,
like the "Thinkpad eraser head" thingies.

But a mouse? It's hard to draw with a bar of soap.

I plead guilty, trackball + messy desk.

KG4CGC
01-27-2012, 12:44 AM
I am a fan of the touchpad in most laptops,
like the "Thinkpad eraser head" thingies.

But a mouse? It's hard to draw with a bar of soap.

I plead guilty, trackball + messy desk.I've been drawing with a bar of soap since 2001. Can't go back now.

n2ize
01-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Microsoft did a great job when they designed computer mice and trackballs.

kf0rt
01-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Microsoft did a great job when they designed computer mice and trackballs.

Indeed, but they didn't invent the critters.

The computer mouse has Xerox PARC written all over it, and that would make it a closer Apple relative.

KC2UGV
01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Idk, often times I have my laptop on..(drum roll) my lap. Therefore as I stated I use the touch pad. Ofc I use my thumb for control. I even learned to do this while gaming. :D

Now I have a question. Wft were those things in the center of the keyboard on old laptops called? Was a little round thing that you touched with your finger to make the mouse move. Pointing stick or something to that effect?

Trackpointers I believe was the official name. Everyone called them eraser heads.

KB3LAZ
01-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Trackpointers I believe was the official name. Everyone called them eraser heads.

Ah ha! Ty. Im pretty sure that is what they were called too.

NQ6U
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Indeed, but they didn't invent the critters.

The computer mouse has Xerox PARC written all over it, and that would make it a closer Apple relative.

Yep—the mouse was invented at Xerox PARC. The Macintosh was the first computer to use one commercially.

Microsoft has never designed a mouse at all—all MS-labled mouses have been built by Logitech and other third party manufacturers.

KC2UGV
01-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Yep—the mouse was invented at Xerox PARC. The Macintosh was the first computer to use one commercially.

No they weren't. RS released a mouse for the Tandy Coco 1 in mid 1980. The Lisa wasn't brought to market until 82 or so.

kf0rt
01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
No they weren't. RS released a mouse for the Tandy Coco 1 in mid 1980. The Lisa wasn't brought to market until 82 or so.

He said commercially. You're talkin' toys. :rofl:

ETA: The German firm Telefunken had a mouse available for it's TR-440 computer in the late 1960's:

http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/misc/telefunken.shtml

http://www.oldmouse.com/pics/misc/Rollkugel++.jpg

KJ3N
01-27-2012, 08:03 PM
"I hate meeces to pieces!"

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/huck23.jpg

Trackballs for me. :agree:

WØTKX
01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit). Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

To re-order, specify one of the following:

P/N 33F8462 - Domestic Mouse Balls
P/N 33F8461 - Foreign Mouse Balls

KJ3N
01-27-2012, 09:56 PM

P/N Chef - Chocolate Salty Balls

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/Chocolate_Salty_Balls.jpg/220px-Chocolate_Salty_Balls.jpg

:rofl:

kf0rt
01-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Trying to recall... First mouse I ever bought was a Logitech. It was a boxy thing; no curves. Had to be 1986-7 era and it cost $100. Typical ball mouse design and as I recall, it worked fine.

n6hcm
01-28-2012, 05:17 AM
touchpad first (low maintenance, easy to use), then the trackball near the bottom of your photo. the one at the top requires large hands to get to the trackball, and it won't fit my hand.

mouse or trackball always manage to gum up with something (cat hair, etc.), which is why i prefer the trackpad.

W1GUH
01-28-2012, 09:20 PM
touchpad first (low maintenance, easy to use), then the trackball near the bottom of your photo. the one at the top requires large hands to get to the trackball, and it won't fit my hand.

mouse or trackball always manage to gum up with something (cat hair, etc.), which is why i prefer the trackpad.

Even the optical ones?

n2ize
01-30-2012, 05:43 AM
Even the optical ones?

The optical ones are so much better.

W1GUH
01-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Agreed. Never had a problem with one.

KC2UGV
01-30-2012, 08:42 AM

I did once. But, that's because a "friend" put tape over the laser... Almost impossible to see scotch tape, but yet renders it inoperable lol

KJ3N
01-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Ever try to use an optical mouse on a solid-black painted surface? :snicker:

W1GUH
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Probably...alway seemed to work. YMMV?

KJ3N
01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Probably...alway seemed to work. YMMV?

Not for me. Intermittent, at best.

KB3LAZ
01-31-2012, 02:48 PM

My coffee table is glass. That is always a bitch.

W1GUH
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
What's fun is when the sun hits an optical trackball without the ball...drives it nuts & the computer starts behaving strangely. Took a while to find that one day!

The upper trackball in my original post does have one very, very irritating characteristic. That damn ball falls out and always rolls somewhere unfindable. The other one has a captive ball.

kf0rt
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
My coffee table is glass. That is always a bitch.

Can of Krylon should fix that...

KG4CGC
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit). Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

Back in the day, I used to clean mouse balls for friends and family.

n6hcm
02-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Even the optical ones?

yeah, but they're easier to clean (since the cat hair doesn't get wound around the various wheels ... )

N2RJ
02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Mice are pretty much dead to me.

Trackpads and gestures are pretty much where it's at. Swipe up, down, side to side, four fingers, two fingers, one finger works great for web browsing and other casual computing.

For creative work such as photoshop a pressure sensitive pen and digitizing pad works better.

WØTKX
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Yup, and that's why I dig my Bamboo Tablet.

Hiya Ryan! :stickpoke:

N2RJ
02-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Androids aren't too shabby.

Had a chance to play with a Galaxy Nexus today with 4G LTE and NFC. I *almost* wanted to trade my iPhone for one...