PDA

View Full Version : Solar Eruption

K7SGJ
01-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Musta been a biggie.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/23/planes-rerouted-fearing-strongest-radiation-storm-in-7-years/ (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/23/planes-rerouted-fearing-strongest-radiation-storm-in-7-years/)

N8YX
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM
You should see me after eating a nice spicy bowl of chili.

K7SGJ
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
No thanks.

w3bny
01-24-2012, 05:02 PM
You should see me after eating a nice spicy bowl of chili.

Do your worst! Bunneh ready! couldnt be worse than pork adobo night underway!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Bunnieman/redo1-1.jpg

N7YA
01-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah, bad way to start a DXpedition. I am just now starting to hear the Malpelo guys again.

KG4CGC
01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
It was seen as far down as HERE! Tuesday night I talked to Mrs. Barkeep about taking a drive up to Caesar's Head to find a look out on the north side. No dice. The one place that is closer that has a north facing view has been closed off to the public for years. It was a great place for not only hanging out but there was a well maintained hang gliding ramp there and in my yoot, I used to take many night shots there overlooking the surrounding area. A mere pimple in terms of elevation compared to Cesar's Head, Table Rock etc but it is far enough out of the way of those mountains to offer a clear line north for at least a 180º view.

It was public land since forever until the country sold it to private interests that walled off all access to it. It was one of those ''done deals'' that was not made public until well after the fact. As much as they try to push tourism here, that was a great spot to take visitors. Now what have we got? A footbridge in the downtown area that is pushed as a tourist attraction? Fvcking morans! Then there's the minor league baseball stadium with no parking. A stadium that btw, is on property that housed low income workers since the 30s. They simply raised the property values and when tax time came around, they were forced to abandon their family homes of 70 plus years and received nothing in compensation since they city made it a simple tax issue.

I won't even get into the issue of the high school beside the stadium and the interactions of high school aged girls and minor league ball players that was conveniently swept under the rug after a few girls were injected with minor league seed.

n2ize
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Which sunspot is it they say is emitting the flares ? The conspiracy theorists are all over this one. They are predicting a disaster that will make Y2K look like nothing. And, we all remember how bad Y2K was... ;)

KG4CGC
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Which sunspot is it they say is emitting the flares ? The conspiracy theorists are all over this one. They are predicting a disaster that will make Y2K look like nothing. And, we all remember how bad Y2K was... ;)
No, they are talking about a gamma burst from the center of our galaxy within the last few days.
The 2012 thing is about an alignment of the Earth with the Sun and other planets while on the galactic equator. The idea is that the alignment would create such a strong gravitational "grab" that it would violently shift the Earth's crust and tilt the poles along the line of the Earth's equator.

kb2vxa
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
No again; "Radiation from an immense solar blast hit the Earth Tuesday -- forcing Delta Air Lines to redirect at least half a dozen airplanes that had been routed over the North Pole."
Knee jerk reaction, the article goes on to say; "Ed Martelle, a spokesman for American Airlines, said it was not affected by the solar flares, though American continued to monitor the situation."

If you think Teh Zoo is funny check out http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/231363-solar-flare.html and you'll see my sideways commentary too.

Eh, although the solar system wasn't at the galactic equator the last planetary alignment created quite a stir too. The Age Of Aquarius came and went and the Earth's crust didn't so much as fart but it was a nice song anyway. Yeah, then there was Why 2K? Well, maybe because 1K just wasn't enough.

w3bny
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
They got re-routed just as a precaution for HF comms with ARINC. Or so NFO weenies tell me.

N7YA
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
No, they are talking about a gamma burst from the center of our galaxy within the last few days.
The 2012 thing is about an alignment of the Earth with the Sun and other planets while on the galactic equator. The idea is that the alignment would create such a strong gravitational "grab" that it would violently shift the Earth's crust and tilt the poles along the line of the Earth's equator.

:lol: Yep, I believe the it will definately make Y2K look like nothing, because it was. This will be about the same.

Earthquakes and storms happen all the time. The Earth does her thing, with or without our approval. Its inevitable, she will shake some of us off her back from time to time, no biggie, we all gotsta go anyway. And besides, once the alignment occurs, its not just going to STAY that way, the planets will move on.

But for the sake of the theorists out there, ill be fair. THE END IS NIGH!! REPENT! REPENT! ...there, that should hold us for a bit.

K7SGJ
01-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Kool Aid anyone?

N8YX
01-29-2012, 06:18 PM

The one thing at the center at the galaxy which is capable of generating a GRB big enough to irreversibly alter Earth's upper atmospheric layers (and with it, all of our UV radiation protection) is a black hole. Fortunately, its jet axes are at quadrature to Earth: They fire along galactic North and South, whereas our solar system is orbiting near the edge of the disk.

I would be far more concerned about a nearby end-of-lifespan variable star whose axis of rotation is in line with our solar system. Eta Carinae is one such system and is thought to be very close to the point of going nova but fortunately it's pointed away from us. There aren't any others which we can readily see, but the gas and dust at the hub of the galactic arms may obscure a nasty surprise in the making.

KG4CGC
01-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Something about time and gravity forming dark matter and how our lack of understanding of dark matter is what is holding us back from hyper travel.
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_field

K7SGJ
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Something about time and gravity forming dark matter and how our lack of understanding of dark matter is what is holding us back from hyper travel.
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_field

Hell, I'm always hyper when I travel.

N1LAF
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Betelgeuse, also known by its Bayer designation Alpha Orionis (α Orionis, α Ori), is the eighth brightest star in the night sky and second brightest star in the constellation of Orion, outshining its neighbour Rigel (Beta Orionis) only rarely. Distinctly reddish-tinted, it is a semiregular variable star whose apparent magnitude varies between 0.2 and 1.2, the widest range of any first magnitude star. The star marks the upper right vertex of the Winter Triangle and center of the Winter Hexagon.

Classified as a red supergiant, Betelgeuse is one of the largest and most luminous stars known. If it were at the center of our Solar System, its surface would extend past the asteroid belt possibly to the orbit of Jupiter and beyond, wholly engulfing Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. However, with distance estimates in the last century that have ranged anywhere from 180 to 1,300 light years from Earth, calculating its diameter, luminosity and mass have proven difficult. Betelgeuse is currently thought to lie around 640 light years away, yielding a mean absolute magnitude of about −6.05.

Astronomers believe Betelgeuse is only 10 million years old, but has evolved rapidly because of its high mass. It is thought to be a runaway star from the Orion OB1 Association, which also includes the late type O and B stars in Orion's belt—Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka. Currently in a late stage of stellar evolution, Betelgeuse is expected to explode as a type II supernova, possibly within the next million years.

At its current distance from Earth, such a supernova explosion would be the brightest recorded, outshining the Moon in the night sky and becoming easily visible in broad daylight. Professor J. Craig Wheeler of The University of Texas at Austin predicts the supernova will emit 1053 ergs of neutrinos, which will pass through the star's hydrogen envelope in around an hour, then reach the solar system several centuries later. Since its rotational axis is not pointed toward the Earth, Betelgeuse's supernova is unlikely to send a gamma ray burst in the direction of Earth large enough to damage ecosystems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse

KC2UGV
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
The one thing at the center at the galaxy which is capable of generating a GRB big enough to irreversibly alter Earth's upper atmospheric layers (and with it, all of our UV radiation protection) is a black hole. Fortunately, its jet axes are at quadrature to Earth: They fire along galactic North and South, whereas our solar system is orbiting near the edge of the disk.

I would be far more concerned about a nearby end-of-lifespan variable star whose axis of rotation is in line with our solar system. Eta Carinae is one such system and is thought to be very close to the point of going nova but fortunately it's pointed away from us. There aren't any others which we can readily see, but the gas and dust at the hub of the galactic arms may obscure a nasty surprise in the making.

Like this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4278005.stm

Had it been within 10 light years, we'd not be having this discussion...

N8YX
01-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Like this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4278005.stm

Had it been within 10 light years, we'd not be having this discussion...

Magnetar.

I've often wondered about the results of an experiment involving a telephone-pole-sized penetrator made of iron, aimed at a magnetar then accelerated to a measurable fraction of c. The magnetic field would - upon capture - provide the final velocity "boost"...