PDA

View Full Version : 7O

W5GA
01-22-2012, 08:52 PM
I wonder if this means will see operation from 7O any time soon?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57363569/yemens-saleh-gives-up-power-leaves-for-u.s/?tag=stack

NQ6U
01-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Yumpin' Yemeni, I hope so.

W3WN
01-25-2012, 10:16 AM
"Soon" is a relative term. I wouldn't expect much of anything before the end of this year. A lot will depend on who assumes power and how they feel towards personal freedoms.

W5GA
01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
"Soon" is a relative term. I wouldn't expect much of anything before the end of this year. A lot will depend on who assumes power and how they feel towards personal freedoms.
As I understand it, operation from 7O was technically possible as a dxpedition under Saleh, but he wanted mega dollars to allow it.

W3WN
01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
As I understand it, operation from 7O was technically possible as a dxpedition under Saleh, but he wanted mega dollars to allow it.I'll bet.

K3AIR & I had a lot of conversations about this, to & from Dayton, every year. When Mike was active military, he had some traveling in that part of the world. Basically, he tells me that the problem is that many bureaucrats are afraid to stick out their necks and authorize an operation, so either they defer the decision upstairs, or just say no. Now that's a very simplistic answer, there's a lot more nuances to it, but that's what it boils down to. And when I say "stick their neck out" I mean that literally.

One related issue is that the civilians might say yes, but the military has veto power, so if they say no, it's no. That's what appears to have happened to cut 7O1YGF short -- when someone in the military got wind of it, and it only takes one high ranking official, that was that.