PDA

View Full Version : The 50 State Quarters Program

N1LAF
01-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Last weekend, I was looking at a few quarters while collecting change from purchasing a cup of coffee, and noticed the different state names on them. Knowing that there was a program to do this, and thought it would be a neat idea to collect a quarter from each state. So, I pocketed those quarters and did a lookup on this state quarter program. Here is what I found:

Launched in 1999, the United States Mint's 50 State Quarters Program was a 10-year initiative that honored each of the nation's states in the order that they ratified the Constitution or were admitted into the Union. Each quarter was produced for about 10 weeks and will never be produced again. State designs are displayed on the reverse (tails) of the quarters, while the obverse design displays the familiar image of George Washington. But, to accommodate state designs on the reverse, the words "United States of America," "Quarter Dollar," "Liberty," and "In God We Trust" all appear on the obverse
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/?action=designs_50sq

In the past week, with casual change collection/use, I have 20 different states collected so far. If anyone is interested, maybe we can start a quarter exchange program.

Current Inventory Link Click here (http://paulfelgate.com/quarters.html)

NA4BH
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
There are quarters for places like Guam and Puerto Rico too.

KB3LAZ
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Have the full set. Dont forget, there are P mint and D mint. I have a book for mine. Each one has two slots. One for the P and one for the D. :) Good luck.

I cheated btw. When they were first being printed you could ask for them at the bank. They would offer you either mint they had or both if they had them. In fact at one time at our local bank you could get them in full rolls if you wanted.

You can also get non circulated sets as well but that is no fun.

N8YX
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
My mother started doing that when the program was initially launched. I bought her a couple nice display folios for them and she told me that she would never live long enough to see it through.

"Sure you will!"

She missed the mark by two years. :-|

ab1ga
01-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Paul, I collected the set at the time, but I'd be happy to scout the change bucket for what you might need.

There are two other quarters programs you may be interested in: the first is the DC and Territories quarters program, and the other is the America the Beautiful quarters program, which features national parks and monuments and started in 2006, I believe. I haven't begun collecting these yet, so I'd be willing to exchange those if you find them.

.dale.

ab1ga
01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
My mother started doing that when the program was initially launched. I bought her a couple nice display folios for them and she told me that she would never live long enough to see it through.

"Sure you will!"

She missed the mark by two years. :-|

It sucks when your mom is always right. My condolences, OM.

N1LAF
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Much appreciated. I'll post a web page on what I have/don't have. Right now I just added a patch to my clipboard text formatter utility so I can copy from a Word table, run the utility, and paste an HTML table.

KC2UGV
01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
P, D, and no Die mark :) Three in all :)

ab1ga
01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Much appreciated. I'll post a web page on what I have/don't have. Right now I just added a patch to my clipboard text formatter utility so I can copy from a Word table, run the utility, and paste an HTML table.

Paul, I have the following for you:

Alaska
Arizona
Colorado
Delaware
Hawaii
Kansas
Nebraska
Nevada
North Dakota
Ohio
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Wyoming

I can send them too you now or, when you're up this way, I can give them to you in person. That way, you might have more time to enjoy the hunt for them yourself!

K7SGJ
01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Another two bit government program that makes no cents.

KG4CGC
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I got some Canadian quarters in change not too long ago and the cashier didn't understand what the problem was. I tried to explain that Canada was a completely different country, not a state. Her response, "What's the difference?" Normally, I would collect a few Canadian coins here and there but this cashier acted like an ass and treated me as though I was being the ass.
I had to wait at the service desk to "get the correct currency" and I never said a bad thing or even mentioned the cashier. None the less, she was gone the next day.

State Quarters. Fun to look at.

NQ6U
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Alaska
Arizona
Colorado
Delaware
Hawaii
Kansas
Nebraska
Nevada
North Dakota
Ohio
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Wyoming

I can send them too you now or, when you're up this way, I can give them to you in person. That way, you might have more time to enjoy the hunt for them yourself!

And, of course, nobody needs the California quarter.

N1LAF
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I found California last Thursday,
And today, I found a better condition South Carolina.

ab1ga
01-22-2012, 09:53 PM
While going through the quarters I found DC and American Samoa from the DC and Territories series, and Mt. Hood and Olympic from the America the Beautiful series.
And I thought I was done with collecting sets of quarters.

N1LAF
01-22-2012, 10:03 PM

Alaska
Arizona
Colorado
Delaware
Hawaii
Kansas
Nebraska
Nevada
North Dakota
Ohio
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Wyoming

Thank you!!! Hold on to them, and I'll pick them up in person. And I'll buy the coffee!!

ab1ga
01-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Thank you!!! Hold on to them, and I'll pick them up in person. And I'll buy the coffee!!

Just don't pay for it with THOSE quarters. :)

n6hcm
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM

actually, it kinda does (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seigniorage)

n6hcm
01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
P, D, and no Die mark :) Three in all :)

actually, P, D, and S *mint* marks. the practice of not using a mint mark for coins from the Philadelphia mint is on the wane, and the S mint marked coins don't circulate (they come in clad and 90% silver versions, both used in proof sets). "die marks" are something completely different.

W4GPL
01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
:lol: As usual, Paul's interest in state quarters is about as relevant as his interest in 20+ year old text manipulation utilities.

Are you going to clue us in on the wonders of fire next week?

KG4CGC
01-22-2012, 11:01 PM
:lol: As usual, Paul's interest in state quarters is about as relevant as his interest in 20+ year old text manipulation utilities.

You going to clue us in on the wonders of fire next week?
Lulz

NQ6U
01-22-2012, 11:08 PM

"What is this 'fire' thing of which you speak?"

Paul, N1LAF

W4GPL
01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
:lol:

Try rubbing some sticks together, you may be fascinated by the results.

NQ6U
01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
And, of course, nobody needs the California quarter.
I found California last Thursday

See? What did I tell you? It's just like having a Six-Land call sign.

W3WN
01-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Last weekend, I was looking at a few quarters while collecting change from purchasing a cup of coffee, and noticed the different state names on them. Knowing that there was a program to do this, and thought it would be a neat idea to collect a quarter from each state. So, I pocketed those quarters and did a lookup on this state quarter program. Here is what I found:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/?action=designs_50sq

In the past week, with casual change collection/use, I have 20 different states collected so far. If anyone is interested, maybe we can start a quarter exchange program.

Current Inventory Link Click here (http://paulfelgate.com/quarters.html)I started setting quarters aside for Little Miss Field Day when the program started. My only mistake was not getting one from each mint for each state. But the collection was more for sentimental purpose than as a future investment.

She now has the complete set of 50 states, the additional 5 that covered the territories and possessions (DC, PR, VI, Guam, and American Samoa), and some others that came along in the course of time... mainly from the bicentennial.

Currently being a teenager, of course, she doesn't let on. But I know how much it means to her... and will in the future.

KC2UGV
01-23-2012, 08:27 AM

I just spit coffee on my keyboard!

kf0rt
01-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Seventeen fiddy'll get you the poor man's set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POORMANS-STATEHOOD-QUARTER-SET-ALL-50-DIFFERENT-DENVER-MINT-17-49-/220924130304?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item33701ab400

They should have minted these in numbers proportional to the state's population. It'd be like WAS but for normal folks. :lol:

ab1ga
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Three questions regarding your use of the word "relevant":

1. How is "relevant" defined in the context of this forum?

2. Who compiles that definition?

3. If the thread draws responses from multiple members, isn't it relevant?

W1GUH
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Paul, I had started collecting 'em, but lost interest and I've got those "books" to put them in. You're welcome to them. Reminds me of collecting pennies 'way back when. Of course the very last one to find was the 1955 S penny; I think that mint was phased out of making pennies that year and there was a short run, so those were rare. But I got it the "hard" way -- in my everyday pocket change. Well, I cheated a little. I had a paper route and got LOTS of pennies!

Never did find that fabled 1909 svdb penny!

My favorites were the steel pennies minted during WWII. Looked pretty, but weren't so good in a fuse socket as copper ones! And, being an OF, I remember when the "grain of wheat" penny was changed to the "Lincoln Memorial" penny. To this day I still look upon those as "new-fangled."

w3bny
01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Ah gots a million dollar bill that im going to cash out down at the wall mart for some skoal and Dale Earnhardt memorial picture.

W3WN
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Ah gots a million dollar bill that im going to cash out down at the wall mart for some skoal and Dale Earnhardt memorial picture.Oh? Well, I got a couple of THESE:

NA4BH
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Oh? Well, I got a couple of THESE:

So what's that worth in real money? Tree fiddy?

w3bny
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh? Well, I got a couple of THESE:

Good old hyper-inflation. That 100 billion bill probably gets a loaf of bread and an umbweebwee lizard filet

W3WN
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
So what's that worth in real money? Tree fiddy?

A nickel.

K7SGJ
01-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Good old hyper-inflation. That 100 billion bill probably gets a loaf of bread and an umbweebwee lizard filet

You're better off eating the money.

N1LAF
01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
With the monitoring of spare change and help from a friend, I am down to needing 14 states. I have updated my quarters page reflecting current status. I also have posted US State quarters that I have in abundance, to help anyone else in this quest.

I have a friend who is only three states away, and in need of Kentucky, Alabama, and Arizona.