PDA

View Full Version : Recapped the Heath HP-10 this afternoon.

W1GUH
01-22-2012, 05:42 PM
And it works! Went pretty smoothly -- details and "pix at eleven." Now I can check out those 6146A's! Not to mention get the Cheyenne/Comanche going in the car. THAT'S going to be Fun!

Now...out to watch the jints cream the 'niners.

w2amr
01-23-2012, 04:22 AM
And it works! Went pretty smoothly -- details and "pix at eleven." Now I can check out those 6146A's! Not to mention get the Cheyenne/Comanche going in the car. THAT'S going to be Fun!

Now...out to watch the jints cream the 'niners.
They didn't cream them, but won in OT. On to the big show.

W1GUH
01-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Fun game to watch, & it was even football weather! Pity it wasn't snow.

The pix:

Outside:

Before:

After:

Almost as much fun as building a new Heathkit! Now...gonna get that pretty Cheyenne/Comanche on the road & FINALLY get back in the window! That'll hold me til I get the PS for the G-76 sorted out.

W1GUH
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
PS and one cable are done and checked out. Initial firing-up of the Cheyenne says it's "semi-alive." Lights up, there B+, the final draws current, but there's no grid drive. Ah, well, tha'll be fun to track down another day.

For now, the PS seems to be very happy and is good under load.

AND -- no magic smoke has escaped!

w2amr
01-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Fun game to watch, & it was even football weather! Pity it wasn't snow.

The pix:

Outside:

Before:

After:

Almost as much fun as building a new Heathkit! Now...gonna get that pretty Cheyenne/Comanche on the road & FINALLY get back in the window! That'll hold me til I get the PS for the G-76 sorted out.Nice job but you missed two.

w2amr
01-24-2012, 04:03 AM
PS and one cable are done and checked out. Initial firing-up of the Cheyenne says it's "semi-alive." Lights up, there B+, the final draws current, but there's no grid drive. Ah, well, tha'll be fun to track down another day.

For now, the PS seems to be very happy and is good under load.

AND -- no magic smoke has escaped!No smoke is good smoke.

W1GUH
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice job but you missed two.

Yea, but they're not in a high-stress situation. One's on the input 12v...forget where the other is, but it's also on the input.

But thans for noticing!

W1GUH
01-24-2012, 09:01 AM
No smoke is good smoke.

At least inn this situation.

Looking forward to checking this out; could just be that the +LV pins on the connector are corroded -- had a problem with the +12v that way. If I hadn't been so tired I woulda looked to see if the LV was getting into the radio but it was time to quit.

KC2UGV
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Nice job :) I do know I am looking forward to find my first boat anchor in need of TLC :)

W1GUH
01-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Careful, Cory, it's addictive as hell and there's no cure. But it IS a great pastime!

w2amr
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Nice job :) I do know I am looking forward to find my first boat anchor in need of TLC :)I got a room full of this stuff, what do you need?:-D

KC2UGV
01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
I got a room full of this stuff, what do you need?:-D

I'm looking for a receiver with an issue a first timer can trouble shoot, without too much hand holding :) What do you got?

w2amr
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm looking for a receiver with an issue a first timer can trouble shoot, without too much hand holding :) What do you got?
The only thing I have, is a Hammarlund HQ-170 that works, but has receive sensitivity issues. I went through it and can't find out what the problem is. It probably wouldn't be a good starter fix for a rookie.

W1GUH
01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
The only thing I have, is a Hammarlund HQ-170 that works, but has receive sensitivity issues. I went through it and can't find out what the problem is. It probably wouldn't be a good starter fix for a rookie.

Pusher! ;)

FWIW a suggestion from this OF AM'er would be a simple AM transmitter like a DX-40 or equiv. Get your feet wet with hollow-state BA' s AND get on in the AM window too!

But that would actually be TWO habits that are unbreakable!