PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Craigslist ?

n2ize
01-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Anyone use Craigslist for finding jobs ? I am looking to apply my skills to some extra part time or consulting work to make some extra bread. I was looking at craigslist and the variety and number of jobs looks pretty darned good. I already responded to one dude who is looking for someone. Let's see if I get a reply.

Has anyone out here used Craigslist for this purpose ? If so, how did things go ?

NQ6U
01-21-2012, 04:01 PM
I got a job via Craig's List. It lasted almost three weeks.

kf0rt
01-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Probably depends on the area of the country, but around here, Craigslist is on the same level as Dice and some of the real job sites. Never got a job that way (last time I was looking, the Web hadn't been invented yet), but the company I work for posts there.

Worth a shot.

n2ize
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Well, the way I look at it is, for the moment I'm not advertising my services, I'm answering requests that are already posted out there. One out of three things can happen. They don't respond to me or I get turned down. It turns out to be a scam and the bum doesn't pay me for the work I do, in which case I quit immediately and put him on my shit list. Or, I get a positive response, I do the job, get it done and I get paid. So I can't really go too wrong either way. If some guy is going to dick around with me and try to scam me (work put no pay) I usually catch on pretty quick and I tell him I don;t do volunteer work and I cut off the deal.

I already answered one request. I know I can easily handle what this company needs. There are a few others but I'm gonna have to call them Monday.

WØTKX
01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I got my current job from Craigslist, and interviewed for another that got axed due to budget cuts.

Still on the short list for the second one, budget is likely to change. :yes:

kf0rt
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Craigslist is weird. In Denver, at least.

I've used it a few times to unload "free" stuff and you have to be smart about it, but real employers do use it to post job openings (especially in the computer biz).

Stay out of the Denver Politics board tho. It's fooked beyond the norm. Makes Gingrich look like a Christian. :hand:

NQ6U
01-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Makes Gingrich look like a Christian. :hand:

Unpossible.

kf0rt
01-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Unpossible.

Here's the link:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pol/

Haven't checked it out in months, but I assure you that it's no bluff.

Please don't spend much time there. Circus fulla morons.

w3bny
01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Craigslist. Not just for teen age hookers and serial killers!

N2CHX
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I got my last job through there. I lasted almost a year. The place is constantly placing ads because they can't keep anyone. So yeah, you can find crappy jobs on Craigslist, you just have to be savvy enough to avoid the blatant scams.

N2CHX
01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Here's the link:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pol/

Haven't checked it out in months, but I assure you that it's no bluff.

Please don't spend much time there. Circus fulla morons.

You think that's batshit? Check this (http://buffalo.craigslist.org/rnr/) out.

n2ize
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Be3ar in mind I wouldn't be using Cragslist as a source for a major career. I am looking at it as a source for side projects, weekend projects, that sort of thing.

KG4CGC
01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I may not always use hookers and blow, but when I do, I prefer Craigslist.

KC2UGV
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
I use CL from time to time to hunt down some consulting gigs when word of mouth business slows down. I like it because I can generally nab a quick web design gig for some quick and easy money.

The only kicker is I have to compete with Russians, willing to do a web job for $99. And, the occasional:"My kid in high school can design a website! Why are you bidding $900 for this?!?!" That's easy to answer:"Then, get your kid in high school to design your site. My fee is what I quoted, which is a fair price."

WØTKX
01-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Peggy does websites for $19.99. With enough bonus points. :whistle:

n2ize
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I use CL from time to time to hunt down some consulting gigs when word of mouth business slows down. I like it because I can generally nab a quick web design gig for some quick and easy money.

The only kicker is I have to compete with Russians, willing to do a web job for $99. And, the occasional:"My kid in high school can design a website! Why are you bidding $900 for this?!?!" That's easy to answer:"Then, get your kid in high school to design your site. My fee is what I quoted, which is a fair price."

I always like the "my kid can design a website" or "my friend can do it" arguments. Yeah, but the reality is there are websites and then there are websites. Most of the homegrown sites I've seen are nothing more than test with some HTML markup and some javascript here and there. Most real websites are much more involved.

I can design websites but I am familiar with the older web design tools, i.e Perl, CGI, etc. I would need to learn the newer stuff to do it for money.

KC2UGV
01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
I can design websites but I am familiar with the older web design tools, i.e Perl, CGI, etc. I would need to learn the newer stuff to do it for money.

Those are all still very valid technologies :) Many, many modules are written in Perl, and deployed as a CGI for the site (Bigger mail list managers, etc etc).

If you were to get into it, CSS and XHTML are the things to learn. Most JS stuff is built with the JQuery and JSite libs, so all the heavy lifting is done. But, with CSS and XHTML, you'll hardly find a need for JScript (I try to avoid it whenever possible).

n2ize
01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Those are all still very valid technologies :) Many, many modules are written in Perl, and deployed as a CGI for the site (Bigger mail list managers, etc etc).

If you were to get into it, CSS and XHTML are the things to learn. Most JS stuff is built with the JQuery and JSite libs, so all the heavy lifting is done. But, with CSS and XHTML, you'll hardly find a need for JScript (I try to avoid it whenever possible).

Hmmm.... Interesting. I used to do a lot of stuff in Perl. I really enjoyed it and it has a lot of extendibility support in as far as add on modules Matter of fact I did some programming involving the use of various modules that did some really fun things and then it was so easy to make them part of a web page. matter of fact I wrote an entire probabilistic spam filter entirely in Perl. It worked quite well too and could easily be extended to add on statistical tests, etc. I also played around with some Perl/MySQL web apps which worked out pretty nicely. If I recall there were some Perl modules that made database/SQL access quite simple.

I didn't know they were still using Perl and CGI but then again, I have been detached from the IT / web development community for a while now. I was under the impression everything was done via PHP these days, which is also pretty cool. matter of fact a couple years ago I compiled Apache with PHP support and played around with PHP on my local Apache server. I still have it all running across my local network, Apache, MySQLl, etc. I should play around with it more.

Okay on the CSS and XHTML stuff. That is something I have heard of and seen but I know very little about. I'd like to learn more about them.

KC2UGV
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM
CSS is a breeze. Think of it as OO for Webpages. You declare types, and the give the types some definitions; then you assign items on the page to the type.

n2ize
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
CSS is a breeze. Think of it as OO for Webpages. You declare types, and the give the types some definitions; then you assign items on the page to the type.

Sounds good. I'll take a look at it. That + brushing up on some of my older skills and who knows, maybe I can pick up some extra ca$h doing websites.

W4GPL
01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
I got my current job via a Craigslist posting..

NQ6U
01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
You know, now that I think of it, I got my current job via Craig's List as well. It's just that there was a nearly two-year gap between when I answered the ad and dropped of my resume and when I got called for an interview.

KG4CGC
01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
You know, now that I think of it, I got my current job via Craig's List as well. It's just that there was a nearly two-year gap between when I answered the ad and dropped of my resume and when I got called for an interview.

One of two things will happen here. Either they'll file 13 it immediately if they don't like your specs or, they'll file 13 it after 3 months and then immediately repost the job.

kf0rt
01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I got my current job via a Craigslist posting..

The Internet didn't allow this the last time I looked for a job.

Holy crap, I'm old.

W4GPL
01-26-2012, 11:18 AM
The Internet didn't allow this the last time I looked for a job.

Holy crap, I'm old.And very fortunate to have a long career at the same place -- that's not exactly common in the tech industry nowadays. :)

kf0rt
01-26-2012, 11:26 AM
And very fortunate to have a long career at the same place -- that's not exactly common in the tech industry nowadays. :)

No kidding. With a little luck, this place might hold out long enough for me to retire.

Seriously, though... When we first got on the Internet (domain registered in February, 1993), they were "pretty sure that it would be opened for commercial use real soon."