PDA

View Full Version : My brother gave his old TV to me and for Christmas.......

KA9MOT
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
It is a JVC 52 inch Widescreen 1080dpi HDTV Projection TV. The bulb had gone out, and he'd ordered a new one but found out it was going to take 3 weeks because nobody had one in stock, so he bought a new TV. I figured SCORE!!!

So, on Christmas Eve we loaded my new TV into the back of my truck and I crawled the 40 miles home with it. It spent 2 days in the back of my truck until I could get somebody to come over and carry it in the house. It only weighs 89 pounds but I am not the man I used to be.

On the 9th, I received the new bulb, and installed it and discovered the first problem. My brother had disassembled it and decided to blow the dust out of the fans and surrounding area with canned air. When he re-assembled everything he assembled it incorrectly and I had to tear it all apart, while laying on the floor (I stay off the floor, it hurts and I don't breath well), and re-assembled the thing properly. I put the bulb in, turned it on and discovered that when he blew the dust out of the fans, it deposited itself on the lenses and was magnified and very visible on the screen...lots of it. Stevie and I tore it down again and cleaned everything. We managed to get most of it, but there is still a little on the lenses, but not enough for me to tear the thing apart again.

My cable comes out of the wall right beneath my thermostat for the furnace. We set the TV up, where the cable comes out and guess what? That bulb puts allot of heat out. When the TV was on the house was ice cold. I didn't really care, I finally had a cool TV to watch, Mellisa and Stevie weren't too happy about it though. This morning Mellisa announced that she was tired of it, and I would be fixing the problem today.

So, I had to drill a hole in the floor, find my super duper "F" connectors that the cable guy had given me, find the special crimping tool, find that roll of RG-6 I had laying around somewhere and run some new cable to the wall where the TV was going to go. After several torturous trips up and down the basement stairs I thought I was finished. Then we moved the TV and stand to the new wall, and we had to move all of the furniture. She damn near worked me in the ground.

That big TV isn't so cool anymore.

KG4CGC
01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
LOL! Nice story but sorry it almost killed you.
Now sell the damn thing.

KA9MOT
01-19-2012, 11:14 PM
All the hard stuff is done now...except I am going to build one of these junk PCs I have around here and hook it up. Home Theater on a budget!

W4RLR
01-22-2012, 02:31 AM
The Mac Mini I'm using now to write this missive is going to home theater duty in the new house. It's about time I use the MacBook more. Right now it sits most of the time in its carrier.