PDA

View Full Version : Any other reptile owners reside here?

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 04:10 PM
I believe Corey said he was a herp owner. Anyone else?

Other threads have made me think about this. In aprox 90 days when I move it will be the first time in 10 years that I have not owned multiple reptiles. No worries, my pets have good homes to go to. One of which being my father who started my fascination with snakes in particular.

Just curious if anyone else has a fascination with reptiles. If so what do or have you owned?

For me it all started as a child with Anole's which later became pythons. Particularly Ball pythons. I personally have never really got into the morph scene but I know many that are.

Currently I own two ball pythons and a Leopard Gecko. Previously I have owned Iguanas, a red tail boa, and A berm. My father has the Berm (her name is Bitch..thats what she is..bites everyone that is not him :P) The Iguana became a pet for a younger cousin that Has always had a liking for them. And my pride red tail went to a friend that owns a Vet clinic. The Boa was about 8 feet long and had a very docile temperament. She will be missed, however she is being spoiled to no end as we speak. She is in a 750 gallon wall setting tank and gets everything she could ever want. My all pythons will also reside with my parents. They were gifts from my father and he is happy to have them. Lastly the Leopard Gecko will go to my nephew with supervision from my brother. Easy to care for and will make him a nice friend.

I will miss my friends. But alas transportation of pets from one country to another is not an easy task and in the case of reptiles not only harder but not allowed in many cases. Good news is, there will be with my family and I can visit them when time permits. :)

Im not so sure I could go back to being a dog or a cat owner. Dogs in particular. As of late my mothers dog has been making me breakout. Bah..first rabbits, now dogs.

So, if you are into reptiles, whats your pet/friend of choice?

n2ize
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, when I was a kid I wanted a full grown alligator but my parents wouldn't let me have one.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, when I was a kid I wanted a full grown alligator but my parents wouldn't let me have one.

I dont blame them. :P

KG4CGC
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, y'all have already heard my frog story.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, y'all have already heard my frog story.

Musta missed that one.

N8YX
01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't have any at the moment but several friends do. Got to play with a 12' retic last Friday at the residence of one of 'DSG's acquaintances, and he has several more. Also keeps Burmese, albinos and a ball. They have a cockatiel which thinks its a wolf - howl and all.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
That's a good sized one.

N8YX
01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
That's a good sized one.

An ex coworker has one which is in the neighborhood of 20ft and IIRC that's pushing the upper limits of their growth potential. He breeds retics and rocks..

KK4AMI
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
If you count the skins in my attic and barn, I'm renting out to a family of Black Rat Snakes. They do take care of my mouse issue!

NQ6U
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Does my ex-wife count?

(BTW, frogs are amphibians, not reptiles)

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Does my ex-wife count?

(BTW, frogs are amphibians, not reptiles)

No, and Im sure he knows that. Either way, still not a normal pet. :D Feel free to expand the topic.

KG4CGC
01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
He said herps and frogs are considered to be in that family.

XE1/N5AL
01-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't have any pets, but lots of critters live around my Puerto Vallarta house. Green iguanas roam the backyard, along with an occasional snake.

There are dozens of geckos that come out of hiding at night to patrol the outside house walls in search of insects. These geckos hide in the shadows and wait for an insect to land near the illuminated wall lamps. They slowly sneak up next to the unsuspecting bug and with a rapid jerk, they swing their heads around and snap it up.

At any given time, there at least half a dozen geckos inside the house, also. I generally ignore them. But, I hate it when one gets into the room where I'm trying to sleep, as they make a loud cackling noise every few minutes which keeps waking me up. They are not as cute as that mascot who sells Geico insurance on TV.

But, the most interesting creatures are the garrobos which lay around and sun themselves during the day. There is one, almost two feet long, with a girth equal to a man's forearm, who spends part of his day on a ledge next to the terrace. At night, he retreats inside the narrow gap between my neighbor's house and mine. He has lived there for years. You have to keep all flower pots out of his reach as he loves to eat flowers. A pot planted with colorful flowers quickly becomes a collection of stems and green foliage after he chomps off the flower tops.

I Googled to find this photo of a typical garrobo, and later discovered it was taken by a friend of mine: Thanks Marsha!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/MysteryMs/Garrobo.jpg

N8YX
01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
There are dozens of geckos that come out of hiding at night to patrol the outside house walls in search of insectstry to make you switch car insurance carriers.
Adjusted slightly, as we all know those geckos' TRUE intentions. I ought to send Flo down there to fix that little problem! :evil:

n2ize
01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't have any pets, but lots of critters live around my Puerto Vallarta house. Green iguanas roam the backyard, along with an occasional snake.

There are dozens of geckos that come out of hiding at night to patrol the outside house walls in search of insects. These geckos hide in the shadows and wait for an insect to land near the illuminated wall lamps. They slowly sneak up next to the unsuspecting bug and with a rapid jerk, they swing their heads around and snap it up.

At any given time, there at least half a dozen geckos inside the house, also. I generally ignore them. But, I hate it when one gets into the room where I'm trying to sleep, as they make a loud cackling noise every few minutes which keeps waking me up. They are not as cute as that mascot who sells Geico insurance on TV.

But, the most interesting creatures are the garrobos which lay around and sun themselves during the day. There is one, almost two feet long, with a girth equal to a man's forearm, who spends part of his day on a ledge next to the terrace. At night, he retreats inside the narrow gap between my neighbor's house and mine. He has lived there for years. You have to keep all flower pots out of his reach as he loves to eat flowers. A pot planted with colorful flowers quickly becomes a collection of stems and green foliage after he chomps off the flower tops.

I Googled to find this photo of a typical garrobo, and later discovered it was taken by a friend of mine: Thanks Marsha!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/MysteryMs/Garrobo.jpg

Yeah, but can he sell insurance ?

K7SGJ
01-19-2012, 08:11 PM

You'll put your eye out, kid.

KC2UGV
01-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, you included me already: One black california king snake. It is a pain to bring reptiles/amphibians from one nation to another; mainly for the prey issues, to wit I can't blame the host nation one bit.

Ball pythons are well on their way to destroying the FL everglades. No worries, less regulation will solve that :(

KB3LAZ
01-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Well, you included me already: One black california king snake. It is a pain to bring reptiles/amphibians from one nation to another; mainly for the prey issues, to wit I can't blame the host nation one bit.

Ball pythons are well on their way to destroying the FL everglades. No worries, less regulation will solve that :(

I thought it was berms? I dont see how something as small as a ball could cause too much harm.

NA4BH
01-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Adjusted slightly, as we all know those geckos' TRUE intentions. I ought to send Flo down there to fix that little problem! :evil:

Don't forget Maxwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlNOwwQQJk