PDA

View Full Version : My Nice New Boat

HUGH
01-19-2012, 03:31 PM
5212 5213

The huge cruise ship Costa Concordia appears to have been driven onto the rocks off the Mediterranean island of Giglio, about 150 miles south of Florence. You should have seen it on the TV news. The captain will likely spend years in jail, not the least because a passenger took photos of him drinking with a blonde, female dancer before the event, he "sailed" too close to the island and then he abandoned ship before all the passengers were off in spite of the Italian coast guard ordering him back onto the vessel.

It makes me wonder about the stability of these giant cruise ships, having seen one in Auckland harbour which was obviously a new superstructure added to an old Korean ship, welds clearly visible, and that was relatively small.

Here's a couple more which the owners are proud of, how deep do you think the draft is? Would you want to be aboard in heavy seas?

5216 5217

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Id like to take another cruise this summer.

ki4itv
01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Now see what happens when you cruise Fatass American tour groups too close to a nude beach?

K7SGJ
01-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Just shows to go you what can happen when you're trying to get laid.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Now see what happens when you cruise Fatass American tour groups too close to a nude beach?

Nude beaches...eww. Nothing of value there, particularly when tourist ridden.

w3bny
01-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Another reason I wont go on a civillian ship. Shit like that and things like the CHENG/DCA/Damage control parties cant speak the same language. And bunneh hates shoring timbers. Mah paws are all floofy and delicate now. <file-file-file>

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Bah...cuz these things go down oh so often.

w3bny
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Bah...cuz these things go down oh so often.

no but the words you are looking for is fire-fire-fire-class bravo fire in compartment 5-335-2-E provide from repair five... Going down is easy. Fires suck! and they happen frequently.

W5GA
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
5212 5213

The huge cruise ship Costa Concordia appears to have been driven onto the rocks off the Mediterranean island of Giglio, about 150 miles south of Florence. You should have seen it on the TV news. The captain will likely spend years in jail, not the least because a passenger took photos of him drinking with a blonde, female dancer before the event, he "sailed" too close to the island and then he abandoned ship before all the passengers were off in spite of the Italian coast guard ordering him back onto the vessel.

It makes me wonder about the stability of these giant cruise ships, having seen one in Auckland harbour which was obviously a new superstructure added to an old Korean ship, welds clearly visible, and that was relatively small.

Here's a couple more which the owners are proud of, how deep do you think the draft is? Would you want to be aboard in heavy seas?

5216 5217
Having been there and done that for a long time, my vote is to not be on ANY ship in heavy seas.

KK4AMI
01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't think stability played any part in this ships demise, at least until it filled with water. THey look top heavy, but remember they are carrying much less total weight in passengers then cargo. He was carrying full fuel bunkers and had stabilizers. None of which work when taking on water. They have a draft of about 8 meters. Now the stability of the Captain is another issue.

I spent 15 months cruising the Barents in an old 560 ft freighter for free, courtesy of the US Navy. I don't ever want to be trapped in a steel shell and bobbing the seas again. I do have my own little boat but it never leaves sight of shore and comes home every day.

N8YX
01-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Having been there and done that for a long time, my vote is to not be on ANY ship in heavy seas.
I'd gladly go on a boomer or fast-attack boat and get below the turbulence.

As far as the liner incident is concerned:

XE1/N5AL
01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Where's an I.A.R.N. Jump Team when you need them?

KG4CGC
01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Ahh! I suspected as much before the pics even came out. He was totally unapologetic and blamed the equipment. I bet he wasn't even on the bridge.
Elsewhere I wrote: "Stop shtupping the passengers and pay attention to your job!"
At the very least, he should have had his 2nd in command on the bridge but I don't know how that works on cruise ships.

W5GA
01-19-2012, 07:02 PM
I'd gladly go on a boomer or fast-attack boat and get below the turbulence.

As far as the liner incident is concerned:

I've done 15 degree rolls @ 400' (puts the top of the boat at 350', depth is always measured to the keel), somewhere off the coast of Puerto Rico. I've also unintentionally surfaced from 200' in about 15 seconds while driving under the same storm, as wave action will suck you to the surface, and that's what caused it. Seas like that were always hard on the new guys. Being the naturally compassionate sorts that we were, we'd tell them lunch was ribs w/extra grease.

kf0rt
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Doubt I've spent 10 hours on boats in my whole life, but gotta say...

Been kinda watching the Oasis deal and they're amazing cruise ships. About $1.2 Billion apiece (there are two of them). Serious engineering and they were built in two years out of a shipyard in Finland, IIRC. They're basically Nimitz aircraft-carrier class, but designed for leisure. 20+ restaurants on-board. Zip lines and pools; designed to party.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 09:40 PM
I have spent about 720 hours on a ship of that size. My father spent..erm 6 years or so on a ship but for different reasons.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.newmarcorp.com/models/luxury/King%20Aire/76

As much as I like being on cruise I would much rather have this. Yes, this particular one. ..its the 3/4 of a Mil$ that is the problem. (Ofc I know there are cheaper ones by far but that is the one I like.)

n2ize
01-19-2012, 10:49 PM
So the captain is having a few drinks with a hot blonde. Who can blame him.. He's a normal male. As far as him leaving the ship well hell, if I were captain of a sinking ship I'd be the first person off. If the ship is going down its going down. There's nothing the captain is going to do except become yet another statistic. The people who really belong in jail are the wealthy CEO's of the cruise line. Not the working man.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
So the captain is having a few drinks with a hot blonde. Who can blame him.. He's a normal male. As far as him leaving the ship well hell, if I were captain of a sinking ship I'd be the first person off. If the ship is going down its going down. There's nothing the captain is going to do except become yet another statistic. The people who really belong in jail are the wealthy CEO's of the cruise line. Not the working man.

I dont see the logic in this. It was his job to make sure things were done properly and they were not. Ergo he is at fault. Now, I am sure that fault also falls on his first mate and others in the chain of command and they should receive punishment as well.

n2ize
01-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I dont see the logic in this. It was his job to make sure things were done properly and they were not. Ergo he is at fault. Now, I am sure that fault also falls on his first mate and others in the chain of command and they should receive punishment as well.

They are always in a hurry to punish the workers. They should punish the CEO's. The captain said the equipment was faulty. We know the CEO's scrimp and save and then blame the workers when something goes wrong. Just like they blamed the geese when that flight went down in the Hudson. As far as the captain goes so, he was having a few drinks with a good looking passenger. That is something any man can relate to. If I were a captain on a cruise ship I'd be partying all the time myself. And once the ship is sinking what can the captain do. Might as well save yourself.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
They are always in a hurry to punish the workers. They should punish the CEO's. The captain said the equipment was faulty. We know the CEO's scrimp and save and then blame the workers when something goes wrong. Just like they blamed the geese when that flight went down in the Hudson. As far as the captain goes so, he was having a few drinks with a good looking passenger. That is something any man can relate to. If I were a captain on a cruise ship I'd be partying all the time myself. And once the ship is sinking what can the captain do. Might as well save yourself.

If someone can not work around temptation without giving in then they need a new job.

VE7DCW
01-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Just shows to go you what can happen when you're trying to get laid.

When this boat is a'rockin .... don't bother .....ahhh ....forget it :-P

VE7DCW
01-20-2012, 01:30 AM
I don't think stability played any part in this ships demise, at least until it filled with water. THey look top heavy, but remember they are carrying much less total weight in passengers then cargo. He was carrying full fuel bunkers and had stabilizers. None of which work when taking on water. They have a draft of about 8 meters. Now the stability of the Captain is another issue.

I spent 15 months cruising the Barents in an old 560 ft freighter for free, courtesy of the US Navy. I don't ever want to be trapped in a steel shell and bobbing the seas again. I do have my own little boat but it never leaves sight of shore and comes home every day.

We here in British Columbia had a similar thing a few years back .....this time it was a car ferry and it went straight to the bottom.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Queen_of_the_North

...in this one the captain was'nt even on the bridge ....there was just 2 people on the bridge,the fourth officer and the helmswoman manning the wheel, who just happened to be the fourth officers ex-girlfriend.They remained silent at all the inquiries and court cases and .... apparently off the record they had turned off all the navigation monitors because they were throwing too much light onto the bridge and people could see the couples attempts at...... ahem...... making up for past differences! They lost track of where they were going...... and the rest is history :angry:

They've maintained their silence to prevent the facts getting out. BC Ferries i'm sure would'nt want the the truth out there either .....but around here it was one of the most worst kept secrets!!

Everyone who worked on the bridge including the captain got fired by BC Ferries ......i've noticed in the local paper the other day the ex-captain is still making a lot of noise about "wrongful dismissal"!

N8YX
01-20-2012, 03:46 AM
....there was just 2 people on the bridge,the fourth officer and the helmswoman manning the wheel, who just happened to be the fourth officers ex-girlfriend.They remained silent at all the inquiries and court cases and .... apparently off the record they had turned off all the navigation monitors because they were throwing too much light onto the bridge and people could see the couples attempts at...... ahem...... making up for past differences! They lost track of where they were going...

Whatever floats yer boat...or not. :whistle:

K7SGJ
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM

So let me see if I understand this. You, as a ships master, would abandon the ship ASAP without assisting in the evac of those who know nothing of the ship, emergency procedures, or anything else about safely exiting? You would not risk your life to save the lives of those for which you knowingly assumed responsibility? You would abandon that responsibility because...........your life is more important than those you were hired to not only entertain, but to also protect?

W3WN
01-20-2012, 08:53 AM
So the captain is having a few drinks with a hot blonde. Who can blame him.. He's a normal male. As far as him leaving the ship well hell, if I were captain of a sinking ship I'd be the first person off. If the ship is going down its going down. There's nothing the captain is going to do except become yet another statistic. The people who really belong in jail are the wealthy CEO's of the cruise line. Not the working man.The Captain is responsible for the daily operation of the ship, and the safety of the passengers & crew.

In the event of a calamity, he (or she) is ultimately responsible for getting the passengers & crew off the ship as safely as possible. That's his job; that's what he's paid for. And if he doesn't want to do it, he should not have accepted the job.

To shirk that responsibility in order to save his own skin? Reprehensible.

K7SGJ
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
And akin to an airline captain bailing out of a troubled aircraft leaving the passengers helpless.

NQ6U
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
We here in British Columbia had a similar thing a few years back .....this time it was a car ferry and it went straight to the bottom.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Queen_of_the_North

...in this one the captain was'nt even on the bridge ....there was just 2 people on the bridge,the fourth officer and the helmswoman manning the wheel, who just happened to be the fourth officers ex-girlfriend.They remained silent at all the inquiries and court cases and .... apparently off the record they had turned off all the navigation monitors because they were throwing too much light onto the bridge and people could see the couples attempts at...... ahem...... making up for past differences! They lost track of where they were going...... and the rest is history :angry:

Wow. Brings a whole new meaning to that old WW II slogan Loose Lips Sink Ships.

VE7DCW
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Wow. Brings a whole new meaning to that old WW II slogan Loose Lips Sink Ships.

I would've loved to hear that one quoted at the Queen of the North maritime inquiry board hearing!! ........:rofl:

n2ize
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
So let me see if I understand this. You, as a ships master, would abandon the ship ASAP without assisting in the evac of those who know nothing of the ship, emergency procedures, or anything else about safely exiting? You would not risk your life to save the lives of those for which you knowingly assumed responsibility? You would abandon that responsibility because...........your life is more important than those you were hired to not only entertain, but to also protect?

You better believe it. I am a natural born coward :) When danger pops onto the scene I split or, as Snagglepus used to say, "exit...stage left !".

n2ize
01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
The Captain is responsible for the daily operation of the ship, and the safety of the passengers & crew.

In the event of a calamity, he (or she) is ultimately responsible for getting the passengers & crew off the ship as safely as possible. That's his job; that's what he's paid for. And if he doesn't want to do it, he should not have accepted the job.

To shirk that responsibility in order to save his own skin? Reprehensible.

It's one thing to accept the responsibility, it's another to actually do it when the Grim Reaper is staring you right in the face and saying "are you ready to ride along with me ?".

NQ6U
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
It's one thing to accept the responsibility, it's another to actually do it when the Grim Reaper is staring you right in the face and saying "are you ready to ride along with me ?".

Been there, done that and (obviously) survived. It just takes some cojones, something that cruise ship captain apparently lacked.

KB3LAZ
01-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Been there, done that and (obviously) survived. It just takes some cojones.

So long as you are not a bull or they may become part of the menu in select countries. :P

kf0rt
01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
So long as you are not a bull or they may become part of the menu in select countries. :P

If you ever get served some tiny ones, you'll know the bull won that day.

KB3LAZ
01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
If you ever get served some tiny ones, you'll know the bull won that day.

Idk about all of Spain but I know that at least near Alicante bull fighting has been outlawed.

kf0rt
01-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Idk about all of Spain but I know that at least near Alicante bull fighting has been outlawed.

It's still legal in Mexico: http://www.cancun-discounts.com/cancun-bullfighting.htm

I've actually been to a bullfight (in Tijuana - 1974). The bull lost. Tradition or not, I've never thought it particularly humane.

n2ize
01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Been there, done that and (obviously) survived. It just takes some cojones, something that cruise ship captain apparently lacked.

How do we know ? We weren't there. They already got over 4000 people off the boat. There was nothing they could do for the rest of them. Why should the captain sacrifice his life for a bunch of CEO's who provided faulty equipment ? I sure as hell would have split and gotten off if I was the captain. Then again, I'm not a big fan of boats or traveling on water. As far as the captain not being on deck and mixing with the passengers well, it's a cruise ship. It's all about partying and having a great time. It's great PR for the captain to mingle with the passengers. I think the CEO's shoul;d be under scrutiny instead of the working man.

n2ize
01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
It's still legal in Mexico: http://www.cancun-discounts.com/cancun-bullfighting.htm

I've actually been to a bullfight (in Tijuana - 1974). The bull lost. Tradition or not, I've never thought it particularly humane.

Its not only inhumane, it's medieval. And kind of passe' in a lame sort of way. I mean how many times can these people watch a bull released into a ring while some guy in tights teases the bull with a red schmatta while sticking spears into the back of its neck and then finally stabbing it when it's weak and at its wits end.

K7SGJ
01-22-2012, 10:32 AM
How do we know ? We weren't there. They already got over 4000 people off the boat. There was nothing they could do for the rest of them. Why should the captain sacrifice his life for a bunch of CEO's who provided faulty equipment ? I sure as hell would have split and gotten off if I was the captain. Then again, I'm not a big fan of boats or traveling on water. As far as the captain not being on deck and mixing with the passengers well, it's a cruise ship. It's all about partying and having a great time. It's great PR for the captain to mingle with the passengers. I think the CEO's shoul;d be under scrutiny instead of the working man.

Faulty equipment? The only thing faulty was the Capitan. The stupid fu(k drives the ship on to a rock while trying to do a "showboat" flyby. Then shirks his responsibilities, the ones he is paid for just like the Master of any vessel, and saves his own ass without the slightest concern for those whose safety he is charged with. Faulty equipment, INDEED.

W5GA
01-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Because the captain was there. It was his responsibility to ensure the safety of his passengers, and failing that, to ensure that they got off the boat in the most expeditious manner possible. He does that by directing the actions of his crew. He does that by following the rules, holding lifeboat drills when they are supposed to be held, etc, etc. He doesn't do that by sticking his tail between his legs, which is the one thing we are reasonably certain that he DID do. It should take more than technical knowledge to command a ship...any ship.
The company is at fault (and the industry, too) for not requiring a higher level of training. But the CO could have done it on his own, could've taken the bull by the horns and exercised some leadership. He didn't, so he gets the ultimate fault.