PDA

View Full Version : What is ham radio

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Ham radio is a hobby, a constant learning experience, a past time, something to bring self joy, something that gives the ability to share joy and knowledge, it is history, past, present, and future, and most importantly memory. Yes, the memories created from your experiences in the hobby are the true importance of the hobby.

Often times I hear people argue over what ham radio is and what it means to them. Fight over who is more ham than another because of certs, dates, or operating practices. They make a mockery over this hobby simply because they can not see the importance of any hobby. Something that I really am at a loss to understand because much like with all hobbies and anything in life there are going to be more determined, more proper, more pure, more knowledgeable followers. Also much like any hobby, denigration is futile and meaningless.

What amuses me the most is how materialistic people can become in any aspect of life but particularly with hobbies, ham radio included. You are probably asking yourself, "What is bringing this up?". A simple realization. For the 100000000 some odd time I was sitting at my grandfathers kitchen table for Sunday dinner listening to family members argue their petty argument over who will get what equipment when my grandfather dies. ...Really people can be so shallow. What they do not understand is that gear is replaceable and their father/grandfather is not. When his ticket expires and his transmissions stop that will be the end of it. Possession of his gear will not ease their pain nor will it be worth anything if even it works 30 years down the road. I just cant seem to understand why they cant see that the most important thing my grandfather (their father) can leave them is the memories created while learning, communicating, and having fun in the hobby not to mention outside of the hobby.

So again, what is ham radio? It is all of the above plus much more but most importantly ham radio much like anything else is memory. The memories of good times with good people. Time well spent learning, laughing, creating, making friends, etc.

/rant

K7SGJ
01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
You are most fortunate to be able to share such a wonderful hobby with you grandfather. While I certainly have memories of my family, we never really shared a hobby that we could spend time enjoying together. People can be very shallow over material things. Unfortunately, that is exactly what caused the bonds between my brother and me to be severed. I have never been able to understand how possessions can be more meaningful to someone than relationships with others, especially family. For me, I have a very few things that belonged to my family members that are now gone. They have little, if any, monetary value, but they represent a time and a place that we shared and enjoyed together. Every time I see or touch these "things", it recharges the memories that I cherish so much, and I feel as though that person is there with me.

Keep those memories alive in your mind and in your heart. They will last you far longer than any piece of radio gear.

KC2UGV
01-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Perhaps, another way to look at it:

They are not fighting over it because of it's monetary value; but rather it's sentimental value. An example, I spent about 6 years arguing with family over getting my dad's bicycle (The one he crashed on, and later died from). Not because of it's worth (It's a Huffy, fer crissakes), but because it's something he used daily, and I would continue to use daily. It's a connection thing.

One of your grand dad's rigs, on a family member's desktop would be a reminder of him.

But, I dunno your family, just offering another way to look at it, that's all.

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Perhaps, another way to look at it:

They are not fighting over it because of it's monetary value; but rather it's sentimental value. An example, I spent about 6 years arguing with family over getting my dad's bicycle (The one he crashed on, and later died from). Not because of it's worth (It's a Huffy, fer crissakes), but because it's something he used daily, and I would continue to use daily. It's a connection thing.

One of your grand dad's rigs, on a family member's desktop would be a reminder of him.

But, I dunno your family, just offering another way to look at it, that's all.

I would agree with you if I didnt know my uncles. One will just sell it for drugs. With the others its a claim of...I got it so he loves me more. When my grandmother died there were similar arguments which drove a wedge between my family. Sisters get along and brothers get along. Neither sisters or brothers speak these days. I had to fight with them to get them all together for Xmas dinner. They are too blind to see that every passing Xmas could be my grandfathers last. No matter their petty differences they are family. I should not have to be the one to point this out to them. I am the baby of the family.

K7SGJ
01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Sometimes, the youngest is the wisest.

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Sometimes, the youngest is the wisest.

Or at least the most fed up. I have been watching my family self destruct for years. Which is why I am glad I was taken in by my soon to be In-laws so nicely and so quickly. High functioning family that truly has a wonderful time with one another. Im not sure I will know how to react to that.

W3WN
01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Or at least the most fed up. I have been watching my family self destruct for years. Which is why I am glad I was taken in by my soon to be In-laws so nicely and so quickly. High functioning family that truly has a wonderful time with one another. I'm not sure I will know how to react to that.It happens. It's not right, but it happens.

I don't know what happened between my mother, my aunt, and the rest of their side of the family, but growing up, we were definitely considered the "2nd class" members of the family. Now, you might think we'd have learned from that. But my older sister has made me the black sheep of this generation... and all because I married a shiksa. Her choice, but it's sad that my daughter has never known her cousins.

My wife's family, on the other hand, for some odd reason has embraced me. So to Jessie, that's her family. My brother & sister & cousins and all the rest? Names and some pictures. That's all they are to her.

...well, that may change. My brother's wife is determined to put their family and ours back together, so there is some hope on that front. Of course, it would be easier if we lived closer to each other, but they're in London....

w0aew
01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Ham radio has been very very good to me.

K7SGJ
01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
It happens. It's not right, but it happens.

I don't know what happened between my mother, my aunt, and the rest of their side of the family, but growing up, we were definitely considered the "2nd class" members of the family. Now, you might think we'd have learned from that. But my older sister has made me the black sheep of this generation... and all because I married a shiksa. Her choice, but it's sad that my daughter has never known her cousins.

My wife's family, on the other hand, for some odd reason has embraced me. So to Jessie, that's her family. My brother & sister & cousins and all the rest? Names and some pictures. That's all they are to her.

...well, that may change. My brother's wife is determined to put their family and ours back together, so there is some hope on that front. Of course, it would be easier if we lived closer to each other, but they're in London....

You could always meet half way. Might be a little damp, but I'll bet the fishing is good.

W3WN
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
You could always meet half way. Might be a little damp, but I'll bet the fishing is good.In the immortal words of Bill Cosby:

How long can you tread water?

KG4CGC
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I was under the impression that ham radio was for single men who wanted to remain single ... and sexless.
[/sarcasm]

NQ6U
01-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I was under the impression that ham radio was for single men who wanted to remain single ... and sexless.

You appear to be half right. Most of the hams I know are married.

KG4CGC
01-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi Travis.
Having read your post fully.
I apologize for my comment.
People get caught up in material things because it becomes the most immediate thing in front of them.
Perhaps if you put together a book of stories and pictures of your grandfather's life, it would serve as a reminder and memorial to your grandfather without having to say a word addressing their materialism or how their conversation made you feel. Maybe the book will get through to them the importance of his life and maybe, just maybe, they will think back and reflect on the conversation they were having that upset you.

KB3LAZ
01-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi Travis.
Having read your post fully.
I apologize for my comment.
People get caught up in material things because it becomes the most immediate thing in front of them.
Perhaps if you put together a book of stories and pictures of your grandfather's life, it would serve as a reminder and memorial to your grandfather without having to say a word addressing their materialism or how their conversation made you feel. Maybe the book will get through to them the importance of his life and maybe, just maybe, they will think back and reflect on the conversation they were having that upset you.

No need to apologize. Also, that is a good idea!

N8YX
01-21-2012, 10:19 AM
[/sarcasm]

You appear to be half right. Most of the hams I know are married.

We're both hams, and last night was...errr....:heart: :chin::omg::owned::yum:

HER idea.

As far as inheritances are concerned:

I have a couple pieces of gear in the shack from departed friends. They're more "war trophies" - as an example I extended the offer of gear repair to one now-SK back in the 90s...and the particular piece of equipment sat in its OEM box for almost 15 years without being revisited. When I came into possession of the thing (an R7000) I had it up and running within a day.

It's a keepsake, and his widow is welcome to use the receiver every time she visits 'DSG. But (sadly) she walked away from radio after her late husband's passage.